logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PANIC!  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2009 14:05:03(UTC)
PANIC!

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love

UserPostedImage

"There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love"

Released: November 17, 2009
Format: CD single, digital download
Recorded: 2009
Genre: Alternative rock, acoustic rock, pop rock
Length: 4:27
Label: Midnight/Mythic Records
Writer(s): Ashley Perry, Ryan Ross Hernandez

"There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love" (sometimes shortened to "There's Only One Exception" for radio stations) is the second single from PANIC!'s fourth studio album, Broken Down on Memory Lane.

Song meaning

This soulful acoustic number is a heartfelt song about love. Frontwoman and lyricist Ashley Perry said that it's "the first time I've been able to write a song about that." She added: "Ryan (Ross Hernandez - guitar/vocals) brought me the music and I thought it was so beautiful. I don't know where my head was at when I heard it, but it really hit me. Ryan and I wanted to write a two-minute interlude, just guitar and vocals. It's such a departure from our other songs. When I wrote the lyrics and sang them to the band, we decided to make it into a full song. I've never written lyrics like this before. The first verse is about where I think the fear to be open or vulnerable started. Ever since the first story in NME or MTV, everyone has known about my family issues and domestic whatever, it's something that's kinda stayed with me and I've learned from. I played this song to my mom and there were tears. It was kind of embarrassing."

Ryan Ross Hernandez told Alternative Press about this song: "Ashley and I wanted something short and sweet that would break up the record. I sent her some music and, to my shock, she was immediately inspired. After showing the guys, everyone loved it so much that they told us we had to finish it. So we did. That is the first positive or at least happy love song Ashley has ever written for a record. I'm really proud of her for writing that song and expressing her feelings completely like that on a song. I like that she was able to express the fact that she has always been really afraid of love - but the excitement and the hope that it exists is still very evident in the lyrics. So it's not like she's a total cynic! I'm the total cynic in the band, not Ashley!"

Guitarist Gabriel Hunter admitted that it was a awkward process when Ashley and Ryan were writing. "It's no secret to anyone that they dated for like years, and ended a couple of months after Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner. So, we knew that it was really going to be different since before they spent like 12-hours a day, of everyday with each other and then all of a sudden it stopped being that way. 'Only Exception' was maybe the most awkward song during the process since it was a like, "true" love song, and when she showed everyone the lyrics we knew who it was about instantly and it kinda hurt Ryan, or well better said he was hurt by it. We knew some of it was about her parents divorce since most of us grew up with her but most of it overall was about herself growing up and her current boyfriend."

Reception

Reviews Coming Soon...

Music video

In an interview with MTV, bassist Nick Asher explained that the band had created a treatment for the video before receiving further ideas from several directors. The video will be PANIC!'s first to not be performance based and some of the members of the band are only seen for a short period of time. It is also their first video to be on-location, and to have "a whole story behind it", with acting from the band as well. He mentioned that they take a lot of their real life and put it in the video.

Ryan Ross Hernandez has already confirmed to media sources that he will not appear in the video, instead he took a behind the scenes job, as he wrote most of the shots that will be seen in the video. Although he says that it isn't a short-film music video, he admits that it is a bit longer than the album version.

Chart performance

United Kingdom: #11
United States: #4
Canada: #2
Australia & New Zealand: #6
South America: #2
Asia: #2
Europe: #1

Track Listing

1. "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love" - 4:27
2. "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love" (acoustic) - 4:38
3. "7 Years in the Making" (Broken Down on Memory Lane B-Side) - 3:56

Personnel

Band

* Ashley Perry – lead vocals, lyricist
* Ryan Ross Hernandez – lead guitar, backing vocals, composer
* Gabriel Hunter – rhythm guitar
* Nick Asher – bass guitar
* Josh Fallon - third guitar, backing vocals
* Joey Fallon – drums

Edited by user 20 November 2009 09:37:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2009 14:12:22(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
OOC: I really like the way you format your threads. It looks neat and nice.
Offline PANIC!  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2009 14:24:28(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

stephaniewazhere wrote:

OOC: Thanks, I think its rather simple but that might just be because I'm a perfectionist. :p
UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2009 14:46:12(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
PANIC! wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

OOC: Thanks, I think its rather simple but that might just be because I'm a perfectionist. :p

OOC : I know it sounds like a broken record, but I just think your threads deserve more credit than what they are given.
Offline PANIC!  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2009 12:00:31(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

stephaniewazhere wrote:
PANIC! wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

OOC : I know it sounds like a broken record, but I just think your threads deserve more credit than what they are given.

OOC: Thanks! Honestly, it doesn't really bother me. If I post something and it gets a lot of attention great, if it doesn't then oh well, I just move along to another topic.
UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#6 Posted : 19 November 2009 10:15:18(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Chart Performance (First Week)

United Kingdom: #11
United States: #5
Canada: #2
Australia & New Zealand: #7
South America: #2
Asia: #2
Europe: #1

World: #1

The second single from PANIC!'s fourth studio album Broken Down on Memory Lane, has been highly-praised by both fans and critics for months before the record was even released. Many have said that "There's Only One Exception" might not only be the best song off the latest album but it might also come as the best song ever created by PANIC!.

So after much anticipation from the band and their label, "There's Only One Exception" was released to mainstream radio stations on November 16, 2009 and a special single pack was released digitally including an acoustic version of the song plus a track that just messed the cut for the new album titled, "7 Years in the Making".

The single in just a weeks time made impact on all the charts worldwide. Already in its first week the song has already scored the band's first number one hit in the European charts and their first stand at the top of the world charts. Only regions the single didn't hit the top five were Australia/New Zealand and United Kingdom, but with the music video being released this Thursday, November 19, 2009 sales are projected to get a boost.

The success of the single has also boosted up the albums sales, now surpassing the three million record mark worldwide.

(OOC: Video description will be up tomorrow.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mt. Epic  
#7 Posted : 19 November 2009 10:18:28(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Jealous. We'd like to tour with you guys sometime if possible. If you need an opening act, we're there.

-Blaine Johnson, Clear Vision (Singer)
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline PANIC!  
#8 Posted : 19 November 2009 11:26:45(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Mt. Epic wrote:
Jealous. We'd like to tour with you guys sometime if possible. If you need an opening act, we're there.

-Blaine Johnson, Clear Vision (Singer)

"Thanks for being interested in touring with us. Right now we are about to end our United States arena tour next week and after that in December we only have a few off-date shows tossed around and performing in a couple of festivals. Aside from that, a true headlining tour from us again isn't expected until early 2010. When dates begin to be scheduled we will surely take your offer into consideration and get in touch with your band."

--.` Ryan Ross Hernandez.
UserPostedImage