logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PANIC!  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2009 09:06:44(UTC)
PANIC!

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Dark Secret Love is the upcoming second and final studio album by American blues-rock musician Ryan Ross Hernandez, due to be released on January 1, 2010. It is Hernandez first album as a blues-rock musician, making the transaction from pop/rock. Hernandez has chosen to step to the side of what has made his previous work with PANIC! so successful, rather focusing on a new, fresh style of song writing. During a interview in August of 2009 Hernandez said, "The album is called Dark Secret Love and that's because a lot of songs on it are based on former relationships, former girlfriends, and I never like to openly discuss in interviews about my personal life, but with Dark Secret Love I'm able to express myself without having to answer questions. It has a lot of observations on how heartbreaks or failed relationships have changed me, both in good and bad ways, and it has a little bit of advice to listeners. Its like a manual on heartbreak from my perspective and my experiences."

Dark Secret Love

UserPostedImage

Studio album by Ryan Ross Hernandez
Released: January 1, 2010
Recorded: 2009
Genre: Rock, Blues-rock, pop
Length: 48:30
Label: Spice Records
Producer: Gabriel Hunter, Ryan Ross Hernandez, Emily Williams (exec.)

Professional reviews

N/A

Ryan Ross Hernandez chronology

Matters of the Heart (2008)

Singles from Dark Secret Love

1."Someone Like You"
Released: November 22, 2009

2. "A Never-Ending Trip to Heartbreak"
Released: December TBA, 2009

3. "Convicted for The Assassination of Hearts"
Released: To Be Decided, 2010

Background and production

Following the release of his previous studio album, Matters of the Heart, Hernandez made comments about his intentions to move the following album in a new musical direction. While not giving any direct information about the styles it would be, he hinted he meant to be experimental on the album.

Hernandez announced on his blog that he would be approaching the whole production approach for this album differently to the previously used format of songwriting, demo recording, final recording, mixing, mastering, promotional photography, album artwork, promotional releases and followed by a tour with a less conventional compound approach, merging the writing, demo recording and final recording into one stage, followed by mixing and mastering, and also promotional and artwork stages to take place along the entire process. Says Hernandez: "I'd even like to have album artwork concepts while we're still recording. Why wait? Why not blow the album cover up to 8'x8' and record with it hung up on the wall?"

Singles

Noted on Ryan Ross Hernandez' official Twitter profile, "Convicted for The Assassination of Hearts" is the first single off the album. It will be released for preview on November 12, 2009 on his official website. The official release for the single will be on November 16, 2009, followed shortly by a accompanying music video on November 19, 2009.

The second single is set to be "A Never-Ending Trip to Heartbreak", which will begin being previewed on November 30, 2009. The official release is rumored to be in early-December.

Track listing

1. "A Never-Ending Trip to Heartbreak" – 4:30
"The first track, I think it was like the second or third song I wrote for the record. After I had written it I knew I had a direction for the record. It sort-of brought together, very cohesively what I was trying to achieve with the idea of heartbreak and love, sort-of bringing that war-feel to a heartbreak."

2. "Why You Wanna Break My Heart Again?" – 4:35
"Now this next track, is really interesting that it comes as the second track because its a ballad. But it just somehow works. Its a ballad that I wrote 2 years ago or so. It was just sitting around and it was something I knew I wanted to put on a future record. True to form, for whatever reason, it just sits and sits and sits, and then we sew it up in the last minute. It just comes together and I'm really glad it did because it is a sad, sad song."

3. "All That My Love Can Bring" – 4:10
"Next we brighten up the mood, with a song which was the first song I wrote for this album. I woke up one morning in late-February and had this idea, this melody that sort-of already had the lyrics in it. Which is always a good sign. All my fellow songwriters out there know that its a good sign when both come out naturally, it is something to keep working on. I worked on it for like a week straight, didn't change my clothes. Gross I know. But that's how songs are born, good songs of course. I knew that I wanted to have some female voice on it and started shuffling through my brain, as to who would be a fresh female voice to put on the song. But it was difficult to choose because I really wanted to keep this record personal and in the family. So, I called up Ashley Perry which just fit in perfectly because most songs on the record are about her so it just felt right. She sings some background on it which sound great. There's also a really cool moment at the end of the song, where we exchange lines and I gotta tell you even though I'm the guy that was there making it, when I listen back it gets me. Its sort-of the sexy little moment on the record. I'm friends with her boyfriend, relax!"

4. "I'm Perfectly Lonely ('Cause I Don't Belong to Anyone)" – 4:28
"This is a song that is sort-of a break in the clouds, its this other idea. The idea that maybe you don't need any of this, maybe you don't need, maybe we don't need love at all. Wouldn't that be fun? And every once in a while it seems like a good idea. That good idea is set to music for 4 in a half minutes. If your out there and you don't have anything bringing you down, that might not be the worst thing in the world. You might be a little lonely but you don't have anything you don't like going on. So, this is a song you gotta turn up and sing along as loud as you can without a care in the world."

5. "Someone Like You" – 4:01
"I hadn't written a non-complete heartache song in over a year in a half and I was scared to write a song. I didn't know what the hell was going to come out of me next. Since like the third PANIC! record, "Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner", I hadn't written a sort-of positive song. So, I was sitting there and I broke out the acoustic guitar, put it in some weird tuning and I just like, you know. 'This was me now.' The whole record is about me now, I'm lost, I'm homeless on the road. This is me wearing thin, and kind-of incorporating a girl in it like mostly every song I write. But on this song I show that I've been looking for something and I need something, I need somewhere to belong. I just need a place. That was kind-of me asking for help, I was struggling through all the heartbreak and loneliness on the road. And this song came out better than I expected it to. It brings a unique sound to the song, it flows really cool. It shows something true, sort-of got me out of the dark place I was in. "

6. "Convicted for The Assassination of Hearts" – 5:14
"This one is a song that is sort-of this cinematic, dark, creepy, sexy little opes. If I may even call my own music opes which I'm sure I can't. This is a song about, its a metaphor about a guy who thought he was the alpha and he wasn't. He was the marked, the entire time. He thought that he knew what the mark was and it was on his own chest."

7. "Fight On Until the War of My Life Is Over" – 4:15
"This song means a whole lot to me. I was really hoping I could come up with a song about confronting fear. You could make it be whatever your fear is, mine on this song, is based on fear of falling in love. I had been writing this song, on paper, for many, many months and it just so happens to find its home in this song. And its the most open-ended song. It is designed to be your companion in life when things get tough, put on this song and sing along and everything will sort-of, all of a sudden come into focus and everything will feel achievable. So for everyone out there that sometimes just feels down, feels sad, just listen to this song. Its from my heart to yours."

8. "An Over-the-Counter Test for Loneliness" – 5:04
"This song sort-of matches how I think most of the time into a 5-minute song. Like most people, from a distance think I have it all when truly, inside, I feel like I'm missing so many things in my life. I might be surrounded by friends, who possibly truly do love and care for him. But I just can’t receive their love. I'm still down, even though there’s no reason to be. So at sometimes I mean, I wish that I was alone, because I'd have a good reason for being depressed. Its a great example that loneliness is not a matter of how many people are around you. I think the song is a humanity’s existential dilemma and a dilemma with myself of not being able to find 'the one', that girl that I want to spend the rest of my life with. Like I have been in-love before but always end up getting hurt. And also its about religion because mostly everyone around me grew up with strong, religious beliefs, Christian beliefs. Also my family had those strong values but as I grew up I didn't have that strong feel for it. So, its a song about confilicting beliefs, its like being in a fight with yourself and with existential things that you have no control over."

9. "You Sleep So Close to Me (Yet You Don't Belong to Me)" – 5:32
"This next song is a 5 minutes and 32 seconds of just pure, middle of the night wantin'. You know that middle of the night wanting? It just turns you into a child. This is just the musical manifestation of just needing somebody, just absolutely need, at the end of your rope, needing somebody. Lately, I've felt a lot like this. Just waking up in the middle of the night alone and you turn to your side and no one else is sleeping next to you. Like, no one is there to fall asleep to the sound of your heart beat. It sucks and I know I'm not the only one that feels like this."

10. "From Now On We Are; A) Friends, B) Lovers or C) Enemies" – 5:59
"The last song, which sort-of is the exit of the tunnel. Its where the daylight comes out and sends you out of the record, to see another day, another record down the line. This is the more cerebral, conclusion of the record. I was sitting with a friend in New York City one night and told her because we were former, we were in a relationship previously, I told her we either had to become friends again, lovers again or just plain out nothing at all, there is no in between. And that little light went off in my head and when I get a song idea that's big enough to write three verses, a bridge and a solo off of. So, as I had predicted it became a tune. And it is unfortunately the song is pretty true, I gotta tell you. If you think its not send me an e-mail to youdontknowwhatyouretakingabout at idontgiveacrap. Hopefully you'll like the record and pick it up when its out or maybe borrow it from a friend and rip it. Whatever as long as like it, I'm cool with it."

Personnel

Musicians

Ryan Ross Hernandez – vocals, guitar, production
Gabriel Hunter – guitar, backing vocals, production
Nick Asher – bass
Spencer Walker – drums

Additional personnel

Rob Carling – engineering, mixing

Edited by user 20 November 2009 13:53:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline TheCDs  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2009 09:36:05(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Mike Peck: I am definitely interested in this album. It is not that often you have a pop-rock star move into something like blues rock. Just out of curiosity are we talking like Stevie Ray Vaughn/Eric Clapton styled blues-rock or the sleazy early Aerosmith style of blues-rock?
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline PANIC!  
#3 Posted : 12 November 2009 09:50:11(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

TheCDs wrote:
Mike Peck: I am definitely interested in this album. It is not that often you have a pop-rock star move into something like blues rock. Just out of curiosity are we talking like Stevie Ray Vaughn/Eric Clapton styled blues-rock or the sleazy early Aerosmith style of blues-rock?

"Well no, defiantly no early-Aerosmith crap, I thought that was an abysmal attempt at blues-rock. So, I would yes it's more of the other two examples, which both are extremely talented. On this album, my style of blues-rock sounds more Eric Clapton though. Stevie Ray incorporated more elements of blues to his work, like jazz blues and so forth. On this record I wanted to just focus on blues-rock. Honestly, it just came out naturally, it wasn't planned at all. But when I started writing the lyrics they didn't fit in at all with pop/rock so that's when I decided to move into blues-rock, which now a days I think is very underrated. I'm glad to see a fellow musician interested in the album, it means a lot to me for people just wanting to listen to it."

--.` Ryan Ross Hernandez.

Edited by user 12 November 2009 09:51:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#4 Posted : 12 November 2009 13:55:48(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

First Listen: Review

Matters of the Heart, Ryan Ross Hernandez first album as a soloist was recevied with mixed to negative reviews, mostly due to the singers lack of emotion, never seeming to find his place on the record where he truly felt comfortable. Despite it and mostly due because of his following with PANIC! picking up his album, the record sold over 4 million copies worldwide. The question was, how would he follow up such an outstanding release? The answer is within the 10 tracks on Dark Secret Love, whether you like it or not. I'll break it down track by track, in the original order.

"A Never-Ending Trip to Heartbreak" opens sounding like a symphony tuning up, and quickly materializes. It chugs along with its atmospheric soundscape and grooving drums, which feel like a slow train carrying the song on top of it. The whole song feels like it's moving along at a steady pace thanks to the drum train and the chugging bass line. The content deals with how explosive relationships can be, with some appropriate war battlefield imagery. Hernandez seems to be the diplomat of the two, as he also suggests that the enemy.

"Why You Wanna Break My Heart Again?" is a sad tune that opens with an innocent, cute melody. This is the story of a man that can't ever seem to make a relationship work. Hernandez says it's time to move on, because he's tired of getting his heart broken. The song is made up of a charming acoustic guitar strum accompanied by some warm strings while the drums keep time and the other instruments accent this melancholy tune that is sad, but light-hearted at the same time. This may be because Hernandez has made up his mind this time, of not long-loving the female, and has accepted his decision to say his final goodbye.

"All That My Love Can Bring" pays homage to Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, and the likes, but adds a Ryan Ross Hernandez twist. It is immediately catchy, which leads me to believe that this will be a single to come from Dark Secret Lover. The guitar melody is very appropriate, and blends well with the backing guitar tracks. Ashley Perry makes an appearance singing backup, and at one point exchanging lines with Hernandez. This song discusses that he has shut down his heart to falling in love, and watches while the other heart (Ashley Perry's) is functional and in love with the subject of the song, he's not sure that he'll ever be able to open up his heat again after the heartbreak(s) left from previous lovers. The song is open-ended, not saying whether the female makes a long-commitment with her significant other or whether the male ever falls in love again. Leaving up to the listener to come up with their own ending.

"I'm Perfectly Lonely ('Cause I Don't Belong to Anyone)" is the stage in Hernandez' love life where he doesn't want a companion. "Nothing to do, nowhere to be, a simple little kind of free" shows his optimism about being perfectly happy being perfectly lonely. The groove is tight and will surely make some part of your body move. This is a fun song that has a catchy hook and could make its way onto some radio stations and satellite channels soon.

"Screaming Infidelities" is the only cover song on "Dark Secret Love,". "Screaming Infidelities" is, in my opinion, the weak link of the record. It's sort-of an unplugged version of Dashboard Confessional's first ever single, and at the opening, it shows promise, because the guitar riff has a great effect on it. It's not bad, but on a Ryan Ross Hernandez' blues-rock album, it seems out of place and more of an afterthought. The gang vocals at the end are good, but the track doesn't make me want to go back and listen to it again.

"Convicted for The Assassination of Hearts" is Hernandez' first single off the record, being released a month before the album release date. The song begins with an interesting-sounding percussion instrument plucking a dark melody. It begins sparse and does a great job portraying the type of imagery associated with the subject matter here. The lyrics are based on Hernandez taking the place of a self-described 'alpha male' thinking that he's the assassin, but ending up being Brad Pitt's character in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith." This is a darker, more texturally-interesting song, and will be a joy to watch live.

"Fight On Until the War of My Life Is Over" is another mellow track, with a smooth hook, that deals with a tough part of life for Hernandez. The mood almost seems too mellow, but maybe this is the stage of the war where he's preparing and being pensive about the battle to come. I could see him taking this song live and changing the entire mood from mellow to intense. It's not one of the strongest tracks, but the lyrics are strong on this one.

"An Over-the-Counter Test for Loneliness" is an excellent song, with lyrics we can all relate to. Written about the feeling of emptiness inside, even though everything is in it's place. Hernandez sings the verses with such emotion then slowly relaxes and sings calmly the chorus. Good guitar work and simple but excellent lyrics make this song what it is. Interesting side note; the song is played in open Esus tuning.

"You Sleep So Close to Me (Yet You Don't Belong to Me)" is, as Hernandez describes, that middle of the night wantin' song. The guitar line is my favorite part, with it's arpeggiating floating from your speakers around your room and into your ears. This song instills an image of a bed floating under the stars and the vocals soaring through the night, with hope that they'll reach exactly who they're intended for. The song is filled with classic Ryan Ross Hernandez wit.

"From Now On We Are; A) Friends, B) Lovers or C) Enemies" opens sounding like an old Southern Rock song, a la Lynyrd Skynyrd, but takes a slight shift. The guitar melody is catchy, and it carries over into the vocal melody. This song has nice building and dynamic, which will lend itself very well to live performance. The subject matter here is as the title states, they can be friends, lovers, or nothing. This is a strong song with a solid groove, and a nice way to finish "Dark Secret Love."

After a full listen through this album, it's tough to even try and compare it to "Matters of the Heart," but they're two entirely different entities. "Matters of the Heart" had more singles, was more radio-friendly, and a higher-production value. But at the same time it lacked emotion which is what "Dark Secret Love" is filled with and will be praised for. "Dark Secret Love" is more of a theme album, and as for whether or not it will remain a classic, only time will tell.

"Dark Secret Love" feels very atmospheric and many of the songs almost float. Hernandez seems so comfortable with his new direction. In my opinion, Ryan Ross Hernandez has succeeded with making a different, strong album, that contains a new array of exciting tunes for Hernandez fans, along with a couple singles that will surely find their way onto the radio. Go out and buy a copy, or download it, and listen to it in a dark room or with the lights off and headphones on. Despite this only being the Ryan Ross Hernandez' second studio album as a soloist, the singer has said it over and over that "Dark Secret Love" will be his final record as a soloist. If it is the end of his solo career, he sure goes out with a bang. At the wise age of 22 he makes a record that musicians twice his age can only dream of making.

Edited by user 12 November 2009 13:57:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline TheCDs  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2009 10:47:02(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
PANIC! wrote:
TheCDs wrote:

"Well no, defiantly no early-Aerosmith crap, I thought that was an abysmal attempt at blues-rock. So, I would yes it's more of the other two examples, which both are extremely talented. On this album, my style of blues-rock sounds more Eric Clapton though. Stevie Ray incorporated more elements of blues to his work, like jazz blues and so forth. On this record I wanted to just focus on blues-rock. Honestly, it just came out naturally, it wasn't planned at all. But when I started writing the lyrics they didn't fit in at all with pop/rock so that's when I decided to move into blues-rock, which now a days I think is very underrated. I'm glad to see a fellow musician interested in the album, it means a lot to me for people just wanting to listen to it."

Mike Peck: Aww, now I liked early Aerosmith so much better than later Aerosmith. No but I am looking forward to the album. It's an interesting direction to go, although judging by the review (I sadly did not get a pre-release copy) there seem to be some moments where that pop-rock sound comes to the forefront. I hope that's true, because we can never leave our roots behind and it would serve to give the album a unique identity.

Edited by user 13 November 2009 10:51:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline PANIC!  
#6 Posted : 13 November 2009 11:23:57(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

TheCDs wrote:
PANIC! wrote:
TheCDs wrote:

Mike Peck: Aww, now I liked early Aerosmith so much better than later Aerosmith. No but I am looking forward to the album. It's an interesting direction to go, although judging by the review (I sadly did not get a pre-release copy) there seem to be some moments where that pop-rock sound comes to the forefront. I hope that's true, because we can never leave our roots behind and it would serve to give the album a unique identity.

"It surely has slight pop/rock moments, their not on every song but its present. I like to compare it to the latest album of PANIC! where the rest of the band and I made a transaction from pop-punk to alternative rock, and on that record it was present the pop-punk sound on some tracks. So, I never plan on fully leaving behind my musical roots but as I grow up and I went my music to grow up with me as well. Sorry about not getting a copy, but only three copies have been made, as far as I know, two of which have been sent to that one reviewer and another one that my label's A&R team has. And the other one I have, but I know sometime next week the official copies are going to begin being pressed so I'll try and send you one."

UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#7 Posted : 15 November 2009 15:20:15(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Ryan Ross Hernandez posted lyrics to a new song on his official site, but denied to confirm whether it will be on his new album nor did he give it a name.

November 15, 2009 wrote:
Start
I'm gonna start with this
Just a single thought followed by words
I hope I don't miss, miss anything
Write you a letter, but it's better that you hear me,
I suppose I could sing, write a song to share the meaning
Of the love for you I'm feeling
People saying what they will...
I don't care.

I'm hearing voices all around
I'm hearing voices calling out
What would they say?
What would it change?
I'm hearing voices making sounds
What would they take?
What would they say to me if only I was listening?

Catch my 22,
I'd gladly give it to somebody because I only want to be with you
Did we really just do it for our best?
Or did we just break apart for their good?
I start to drown up in my jealousy towards him
Rely on generic forms to stop myself from stating something rash

I never used you
Or mistreated you
I wish I hated you with all my breath
But this heart is twisted and can't stop itself from loving you

Why did you listen to what they said?

I'm hearing voices calling out
What would they say?
What would it change?