logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PANIC!  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2009 09:58:43(UTC)
PANIC!

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
From Now On We Are Enemies is the second studio album by American artist Ryan Ross Hernandez, and first concept album, set for release on December 29, 2009 on Spice Records. The album will be released digitally for free, one-day only on December 25, 2009, on all digital markets in the United States, United Kingdom and Europe, including iTunes and Amazon. Hernandez calls it a "Holiday gift to the listeners". It is the first installment in the series of two concept albums, the second album will be released sometime in mid-2010.

Conceived in the wake of multiple events that impacted and distressed him the previous year, From Now On We Are Enemies marked a major musical departure for Ryan Ross Hernandez lyrically, vocally, and production-wise.

60 percent of Hernandez' personal financial precess off the record will be given to various charities. It will be equally divided and given to six different charities that include AmberWatch Foundation, Farm Sanctuary, Natural Resources Defense Council, Somaly Mam Foundation, The Humane Society, and Feeding America.

"From Now On We Are Enemies"

UserPostedImage

Studio album by Ryan Ross Hernandez
Released: December 25, 2009 / December 29, 2009
Recorded: June 2009 - August 2009 at Avex Recording Studio, Honolulu, Hawaii; October 2009 - November 2009 at Lightning Sound Studios, Hidden Hills, California
Genre: Alternative rock, Pop rock, Pop-punk, Acoustic rock, R&B
Length: 46:10
Label: Spice Records
Producer: Ryan Ross Hernandez (exec.), Gabriel Hunter, Rob Carling, Ashley Perry, PANIC!

Professional reviews

N/A

Singles off of From Now On We Are Enemies

1. "Good Life (Brightening Eyes After Detoxing)"
Released: November 24, 2009

2. "Two New Years Resolutions (All This Time)"
Released: December 18, 2009 (USA & UK single only)

Background

After hearing the b-sides for "Dark Secret Love", Hernandez opted to work on the unfinished material instead of releasing the completed record that only needed to be mixed. After going back in to studio for a month, Hernandez got the idea of releasing two albums similar to Stephanie Fierce "Diary of a Pop Sinner" which has two volumes but Hernandez two albums are concept albums. "From Now On We Are Enemies" the theme throughout the record is Hernandez' vs. himself but not limited to it as towards the middle of the album, the songs deal with how Hernandez' sees other people around him. He kept it simple and called the record a compilation of how fame has been both good and bad for him. While "Dark Secret Love", is a more literal record about personal experiences with romantic relationships also showing the good and bad of it.

Hernandez said that both records display his most mature and sophisticated material both as a solo and PANIC!. But mentioned that "From Now On We Are Enemies" is more experimental, stating, "... it's not gonna be a #1 album. That's where I'm at right now. I wanna make the most experimental album I ever made. But without all that computer-generalized crap that most mainstream artist are using. I wanna take it back to when artist created real music with real instruments. I wanna write songs not huge hooks or choruses." Hernandez elaborated that, he was unsatisfied with contemporary music he heard on the radio, calling it rather "generic and expected" music.

With "From Now On We Are Enemies", Hernandez has said that the album manages to appeal listeners of all music spanning numerous musical genres–including rock, pop, indie, hip hop, punk, and R&B.

Recording

Most of the album's recording sessions took place in Hawaii to avoid distractions. PANIC! bandmate Gabriel Hunter explained to the The Times that he "won't get bothered there" compared to a major city such as New York or Los Angeles. Hernandez' told Rolling Stone magazine his method of selecting producers: "If Hunter makes ten great tracks then he produces the album, if Rob Carling makes ten great tracks then he produces the album; if he makes three, I'll take three. I let the music dictate the direction." However, judging by the final track listing, it appears that both Hunter and Carling shared duties of recording the album, although it is not limited to them as Hernandez self-produces two tracks, Ashley Perry co-produces two tracks and all of the PANIC! members produce a single song. Perry stated that she emailed "Good Life" to Hernandez the day he was mastering the album. He loved the track so much that he put off the mastering.

Hernandez confirmed that there will only be "one or two collaborations" but admits that he has never been a fan of working with other artist due to his perfectionist work-ethnic so he is unsure whether or not any guest artist will be on the record, stating, "... if any guest artist do make the final cut of songs they are gonna be ones that are willing to take risk, I want them to leave their comfortable zone and try some new things if they wanna work with me."

Lyrically, Hernandez says that they are the most personal lyrics he has ever written. Although he said that some artist might be offended by some lyrics he uses on "Everybody Loves Me", which takes aim at pop artists, and "Symphony of the Overdosed", that is directed to rock artists. He defended the songs by saying, ".. I'm a fair man and if I take aim at one group of people, I'll take aim the others just as easy. Neither song is directed or based to any artists in particular but any strong resembles to another artist is 'completely' unintended."

Release and promotion

Hernandez has stated that everything with the record will be innovative. On December 18, 2009, Hernandez will be performing the entire album live at an undisclosed location and will be transmitted live online.

No music videos will be released for the album, instead a 45-minute short film will be released that includes all of the tracks on the record. The film will be shot on-location at various locations in Los Angeles, beginning on Thanksgiving weekend and will continue in late-December, expected to be completed by years end and released sometime in January 2010. It has been written by Ryan Ross Hernandez and will be produced by his girlfriend, a well-known Hollywood producer Emily Williams. The couple are co-producing the short film.

On December 19, Hernandez, in collaboration with Williams, will host a promotional album listening party at an undisclosed location to prevent fans from showing up. The event is limited to 130 guests and is by invitation only, to preview the entirety of From Now On We Are Enemies.

A deluxe edition is rumored to be released but no details have been revealed about one yet.

Track Listing

1. "(Intro/Prologue) All My Secrets Away" – 3:45
Producer(s): Gabriel Hunter, Ryan Ross Hernandez
Writer(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez

2. "Mutiny Off the Long Island Coast of the Ash Tree/(Times Square Epilogue)" – 4:09
Producer(s): Rob Carling, Ryan Ross Hernandez
Writer(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez, Emily Williams
Samples: "Bad News" by, Kanye West

3. "(Everybody Wants You to Make It) Loneliness Is Underrated" – 4:15
Producer(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez

4. "Lovesick Lullabies That Can Only Catch the Ear of the Desperate (Late Night Conversations Intermission)" – 8:36
Producer(s): Gabriel Hunter
Writer(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez, Ashley Perry

5. "Everybody Loves Me (Please Rise for the Pop Divas National Anthem)" – 3:34
Producer(s): PANIC!

6. "(The Rockstars Rehab Center) Symphony of the Overdosed" – 3:36
Producer(s): Rob Carling, Gabriel Hunter
Writer(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez, Gabriel Hunter

7. "Good Life (Brightening Eyes After Detoxing)" – 4:13
Producer(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez, Ashley Perry
Writer(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez, Ashley Perry
Guest Vocal(s): Ashley Perry

8. "Two New Years Resolutions (All This Time)" – 4:03

9. "(Bow Your Heads) Was It Worth It?" – 4:59
Producer(s): Gabriel Hunter, Ashley Perry

10. "Marchin' On (One-Man Parade/Outro)" – 5:00

Personnel

Primary musicians

* Ryan Ross Hernandez – vocals; lead guitar; production; art direction; graphic design
* Spencer Walker – drums on all tracks; percussion on tracks 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
* Gabriel Hunter – rhythm guitar on all tracks; backing vocals on all tracks; production
* Adam Reynolds – bass on all tracks

Additional musicians

* Anabelle Williams – piano on tracks 8 and 9
* Josh Fallon – guitar on track 5
* Christopher Nelson – acoustic guitars on track 7, 8 and 10
* Shane Lawson – saxophone on track 10
* Bryan Russell – trumpet on track 10

Additional personnel

* Emily Williams – art direction; graphic design
* Kris Watson – photography
* Cassie Cusack – photography

Production

* Rob Carling - producer on tracks 2, 6, 8, and 10
* Gabriel Hunter - producer on tracks 1, 4, 6, and 9
* Ashley Perry - producer on tracks 7 and 9
* Ryan Ross Hernandez - executive producer on all tracks; producer on tracks 1, 2, 3, 8 and 10
* Chris Allen - mixing
* Ted Johnson - mastering
* Doug McDonald - engineering
* Kristen Muhoberac - arrangements

(OOC: Song descriptions will be up soon, but until then feel free to give some love or hate to the album.

Edited by user 29 November 2009 15:12:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Mt. Epic  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2009 10:23:36(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
"Definitely sounds like something worth buying, especially since it's gonna be free."

-Blaine Johnson, Clear Vision (Singer)
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline PANIC!  
#3 Posted : 23 November 2009 11:07:41(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Mt. Epic wrote:
"Definitely sounds like something worth buying, especially since it's gonna be free."

"Well sure, you can look at it that way. Honestly it doesn't hurt my wallet, personally, because I'm going to be making a small amount of money off the record since I think like seventy percent of the sales that were suppose to go to me are going to various charities. But whatever I know that not everyone that is going to download the album on Christmas Day for free are fans, I know some are just lurkers that are gonna leak the record online. I didn't make this record to make money, I rather made it to not only help others financially but also to get a message across to not only fans but other artists as well."

--.` Ryan Ross Hernandez.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mt. Epic  
#4 Posted : 23 November 2009 11:10:48(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

PANIC! wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:

"Well sure, you can look at it that way. Honestly it doesn't hurt my wallet, personally, because I'm going to be making a small amount of money off the record since I think like seventy percent of the sales that were suppose to go to me are going to various charities. But whatever I know that not everyone that is going to download the album on Christmas Day for free are fans, I know some are just lurkers that are gonna leak the record online. I didn't make this record to make money, I rather made it to not only help others financially but also to get a message across to not only fans but other artists as well."

"wow. I just wanted to complement your album. lol"
UserPostedImage

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2009 11:11:18(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Stephanie Fierce: Definitely see what he is saying. I donate to charity every time, and what people don't really see is when i travel I'm constantly helping out with poverty. It's something I do differently from music. But really its all part of business, if I make no money I won't have any to donate, know what I mean?
Offline PANIC!  
#6 Posted : 23 November 2009 11:30:22(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

stephaniewazhere wrote:
Stephanie Fierce: Definitely see what he is saying. I donate to charity every time, and what people don't really see is when i travel I'm constantly helping out with poverty. It's something I do differently from music. But really its all part of business, if I make no money I won't have any to donate, know what I mean?

"Yeah, I mean, a lot of people don't understand that. You have to have leftover or at least enough for yourself to be able to help others, I know I can't donate 100 percent of sales because I have bills too, although I don't have a family of my own I still have to give to some older family members that aren't able to work. But granted not everything I donate to I strongly believe in, but rather I've been touched by them because look on the proceeds for this record, a certain percentage goes to the Farm Sanctuary and I'm not a vegan. But my girlfriend took me to a event of the foundation because she is a vegan and she monthly donates a certain amount to it, and when I saw what certain people did to animals, that affected me. Not to the point that I'm a vegan now but to the point where I feel that animals should be defended by people that do have a voice that can make change. With other charities I strongly believe in though, like Feeding America and The Humane Society."

UserPostedImage
#7 Posted : 23 November 2009 11:47:51(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

PANIC! wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

"Yeah, I mean, a lot of people don't understand that. You have to have leftover or at least enough for yourself to be able to help others, I know I can't donate 100 percent of sales because I have bills too, although I don't have a family of my own I still have to give to some older family members that aren't able to work. But granted not everything I donate to I strongly believe in, but rather I've been touched by them because look on the proceeds for this record, a certain percentage goes to the Farm Sanctuary and I'm not a vegan. But my girlfriend took me to a event of the foundation because she is a vegan and she monthly donates a certain amount to it, and when I saw what certain people did to animals, that affected me. Not to the point that I'm a vegan now but to the point where I feel that animals should be defended by people that do have a voice that can make change. With other charities I strongly believe in though, like Feeding America and The Humane Society."

Stephanie Fierce: That is really thoughtful of you to do that, Keep doing it, and know that you are not alone when it comes to doing it :)

Edited by user 23 November 2009 11:48:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Mt. Epic  
#8 Posted : 23 November 2009 11:56:30(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

"I'm still a little bit too poor to make much of a change in society, but I might start to donate. I never been much of a philanthropist though, so i don't know."
UserPostedImage

#9 Posted : 23 November 2009 12:04:25(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Stephanie Fierce: Anyway, looking forward to the film.
Offline PANIC!  
#10 Posted : 23 November 2009 12:18:26(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

stephaniewazhere wrote:

"Thanks. It's gonna be the second biggest highlight of the record, hopefully the first one is the music, [chuckles]. When you get an idea like this, it's good to have a girlfriend that's a producer, granted that's not why I'm dating her. The premiere is gonna be sometime in January, in Los Angeles, hopefully you'll be able to make it to it with Johnny."

UserPostedImage
#11 Posted : 23 November 2009 12:31:37(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

PANIC! wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

"Thanks. It's gonna be the second biggest highlight of the record, hopefully the first one is the music, [chuckles]. When you get an idea like this, it's good to have a girlfriend that's a producer, granted that's not why I'm dating her. The premiere is gonna be sometime in January, in Los Angeles, hopefully you'll be able to make it to it with Johnny."

Stephanie Fierce: Most definitely me and Johnny both love movies so we'll be there :)
Offline PANIC!  
#12 Posted : 23 November 2009 14:55:55(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Tonight, at PANIC!'s show in Los Angeles, as an encore performance, Ryan Ross Hernandez performed sole a song off the upcoming record. Just him and a keyboard as the rest of the band exited the stage. Before performing the song he gave a little back history of the song.

"Alright. So, right now I will be performing a song that I've never performed before and I'm real nervous because the person I wrote this song about is here tonight. She has no idea of the song, she has no idea that I wrote it for her. It's a positive long song which strange for me 'cause I've never written song that isn't about heartache. So, this song is going to be on my coming record, released next month. The girl, that this song is about, she doesn't even know this song exist. It's the only love song on the record and I can't be more proud about it. So, yeah, here I go. This song is titled "All This Time", and it goes out to that girl, standing right over there. Emily this goes out to you. By the way it's not a piano ballad on the record, I'm just alone here and this is the only way I can perform it right now. So, yeah, wish me luck."

Beginning with a soft, repetitive note from the keyboard before beginning to sing, in the most soft tune possible.

"Six on the second hand till new year's revolutions
There's just no question what this man should do
Take all the time lost, all the days that I cost
Take what I took and give it back to you

All this time we were waiting for each other
All this time I was waiting for you
We got all these words, can't waste them on another
So I'm straight in a straight line running back to you

I don't know what day it is, I had to check the paper
I don't know the city but it isn't home
You say I'm lucky to love something that loves me
But I don't as I could be wherever I roam

Got all these words, can't waste them on another
So I'm straight in a straight line running back to you, yeah

Oh, running back to you
Oh, running back to you
Yeah

Oh, I would travel so far
I would travel so far
To get back where you are

Got all this love, can't waste it on another
So I'm straight in a straight line running back to you
Straight in a straight line running back to you
"
UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#13 Posted : 29 November 2009 15:10:38(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Song Descriptions

(Intro/Prologue) All My Secrets Away

'Secrets' is as heavy as you can imagine production-wise. Having said that, the songs lyrics are straightforward and match perfectly with Hernandez' raw-honest vocals. The song's quite convincing and very emotional as with the violin undercurrents which are efficiently utilizing its use in making the song as grand as it can be. It's effortless, yet subtle and big as some of his hits with PANIC!.

Mutiny Off the Long Island Coast of the Ash Tree/(Times Square Epilogue)

The album then heads to a more rock-orientated direction with 'Mutiny Off the Long Island Coast of the Ash Tree,' which certainly has an emotional sound to it. It follows the vein of 'Secrets' being one of the slower songs on the album, but nonetheless, it holds a certain power to it. The 'Times Square' epilogue is a solo by Hernandez, although it might seem out of place, it should be pointed out: you know those really seductive songs made in the 70's? Many people may not see where that reference is coming, but that's the vibe you get with the song.

(Everybody Wants You to Make It) Loneliness Is Underrated

If you didn't know yet, Hernandez' hates and he means really HATES, the celebrity world making it clear on this track. On 'Loneliness Is Underrated', is a big arena/piano rock song. Lyrically, the song is from Hernandez' perspective, of how he sees the celebrity lifestyle. With lyrics like, "Mockin' my purpose, in the magazines/Famous how they make you feel grand/They're always there to hold your hand/In times of trouble, they're best of friends", being the second cheap shot at the media in the album (so far), and metaphors like, "Stumble to escape/through anchored drapes/made of bedding", makes for one of, if not the best display of Hernandez' songwriting-ability.

Lovesick Lullabies That Can Only Catch the Ear of the Desperate (Late Night Conversations Intermission)

By far the longest track on, not only the record but of Hernandez' career, is this one. Ticking at over eight minutes and thirty seconds, it's the first song that ventures into the topic that most songs are based upon when it comes to Hernandez writing and that is, love. The first 4 minutes of the song are a roller-coaster ride musically, with many time changes, fitting into the emotion of the song with lyrics of finding a new love. The last 4 minutes of the song are a mid-tempo ballad, about the singer who despite the demeaning words and voices of others, chose to stay with the one that he loves, the lyrics are one of the few self-explanatory songs on the record. Like the previous 'Times Square' epilogue, the 'Late Night Conversations' intermission isn't completely necessary to the song but it adds a personal touch for the listeners. With various excerpt from real news reports of Hernandez' overdose off of sleeping pills and anxiety medication, earlier this year. Ridden along nicely by a string arrangement of violins.

Everybody Loves Me (Please Rise for the Pop Divas National Anthem)

The tongue-in-cheek 'Everybody Loves Me', where Hernandez fits the suit of the much welcomed character tracing back to the 'Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner'-era with PANIC!. Bringing back, good (and maybe even some bad) memories of his bands hit song 'MySpace Whore'. Through witty lines and arrogance bleeding from his teeth. Although this character is unnamed, when he writes songs like this, it can be said that Hernandez' takes the place of an alter-ego, sort-of how Eminem has 'Slim Shady'. With no direct shots at any particular artist, he never gets his suit dirty, but instead he takes aim at the entire group of well Pop.

(The Rockstars Rehab Center) Symphony of the Overdosed

The only pop-punk track on the record, and like the previous song it brings back traces of a younger, simpler time for Hernandez' with his band. Not with the same tongue-in-cheek attitude as 'Everybody Loves Me', it still has it's cocky lyrics like, "Fit the crown to my head but I was only a kid". Unlike the previous, 'Symphony of the Overdosed' has more of a irony and other literary devices to narrate the song. It can't be placed as a direct hit to rockstars who use drug since Hernandez' himself has had drug problems, knowing Hernandez' he might just be wearing his 'MySpace Whore'-persona and not really give a damn.

Good Life (Brightening Eyes After Detoxing)

The first single of the album, 'Good Life', airs a cheery, whistling melody with thudding drums, handclaps, and acoustic guitars, and its verses demonstrate that Hernandez is a surprisingly agile vocalist. The song's simple pleasure combined with simple production never tries too hard to be simple nor does it make itself be anything more than what it is. The song is simple and, hell even fun. Which is a good change to see from Hernandez' after the countless sad songs he has written after failed relationships, prescription drugs overdose, and his band nearly breaking up.

Two New Years Resolutions (All This Time)

From Now On We Are Enemies, finds its true power in the romantically powerful, 'Two New Years Resolutions'. Sure to be a Ryan Ross Hernandez staple 'Two New Years Resolutions', which echoes the stripped away piano sincerity of '60s and '70s ballad anthems. It's easy to see why Hernandez' feel comfortable writing love songs whether they are positive or negative, because the bottom line is, he writes them fantastically. Dedicating this song to his current girlfriend (maybe even current fiancée) Emily Williams, just takes the emotion and power vocals on this song, that much better.

(Bow Your Heads) Was It Worth It?

Next is the multi-component, 'Was It Worth It?'. The song takes us for a trip as the ending is slowed down with the melodic beauty of strings and chords that would fit perfectly in the scene of an emotional movie, creates for an intense listening experience. With the filtered dubstep drum loops and the Afro-pop marimba, takes a sort-of ala-Kanye West, 808s & Heartbreak turn, which isn't a bad thing! The beginning features ethereal vibes that lead into a neat, instrument-heavy section. The lyrics reminds the listeners of heartbreak and loss but not as much to a relationship stand point but speak out more to lost family and friends that Hernandez' has lost due to his career.

Marchin' On (One-Man Parade/Outro)

The closing track is a song that big record labels’ dreams are made of. The uplifting motivational piece 'Marchin' On' with a military-like approach. Hernandez makes the wise decision to take the song in a completely new direction without fear of having to trigger the 'retread alarm'. The big ballad chorus would have been an easy option, but an altogether more stirring, yet down-tempo central melody to the song. Taking a backing vocal hook and writing a whole song around it, earning the bigness of its flags-and-fighting imagery, the upbeat call to action of moving forward despite the bumps in the road makes for an amazing closer.
UserPostedImage