logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Aj  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2009 09:12:27(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
UserPostedImage

A little info...

Hi, I'm Charlie Watts, I'm 19 years old, and this is my project - called charlie. Musics always been my passion really, never wanted to do anything else but make music. As a kid I was never really into school, I just wanted to listen to whatever was on the radio. In my music there's a real influence of legends like Bob Dylan, but more modern greats like Jakey Comatose also have a massive impact on my music. But some of my stuff is pretty experimental and I take influences from a far afield as A Silver Mt. Zion and Sigur Ros. So yeah, I've never really been much good at writing things like this, but really I just want to make some good music that you guys like! I've recently been up and down the country in pubs and stuff, just in my camper van, playing music, but hopefully once I've raised enough cash I'll start recording some stuff! Up until then it's just me and my laptop and the good old Sony Voice Recorder!

The music...

Well, I don't think there's really one genre to describe the music I make, I'd say it's rather more an almost psychedelic concoction of folk-based indie alt-rock painted with a dollop of pop punk. Or if you want a slightly more understandable description I'd say a mixture of Death Cab For Cutie, Jack's Mannequin, The Flaming Lips and Bob Dylan, although I should think that's quite difficult to imagine. But recently I've been sticking in some ambient areas into my music, and I've also stirred some post-rock into the mixture!

Releases

Singles

Albums

Tapes

EP's
Average - 26/12/09 - Preorder/Buy Here!

Demo's

What I've Been Up To
Okay, so tonight I'll be playing The Red Lion in a small village called Rusthall, near Tunbridge Wells in Kent! Really excited, I love these small pubs! I'll be playing other pubs like it hopefully all around the Kent area - I need to raise enough cash for a recording session! - 11:59; 29.11.09

Edited by user 26 December 2009 22:48:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Mouschi  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2009 11:22:16(UTC)
Mouschi

Woman

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 55 post(s)
(OOC : Hardly any of my RP makes it ingame. Half the bands/artists I've got don't have ingame accounts. No shame in it!)

Welcome to this crazy music world, Charlie, love it or hate it. Good call on the madcore and mix-genre elements of music - that's what we try to foster in Dark Blue Music artists, music that's completely new, and otherwise unimaginable. That's what every musician should be like!
-Katie.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ooc info : debikzification
rp sites : bik.ki | dtbotb5 signups open! | official-g2l.com
kateverse rp : kateoffyourcolours 26/10 | danhellyeah 25/10
Offline Aj  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2009 21:54:47(UTC)
Aj

Man

Mouschi wrote:
(OOC : Hardly any of my RP makes it ingame. Half the bands/artists I've got don't have ingame accounts. No shame in it!)

Welcome to this crazy music world, Charlie, love it or hate it. Good call on the madcore and mix-genre elements of music - that's what we try to foster in Dark Blue Music artists, music that's completely new, and otherwise unimaginable. That's what every musician should be like!
-Katie.

Thanks, I just like bringing the people good music that's never been done before, something fresh and exciting. Hopefully it works!

Charlie
Offline Aj  
#4 Posted : 01 December 2009 06:22:55(UTC)
Aj

Man

Last night was awesome, the pub was great and a pretty cool atmosphere in there too. Tommorow I'll be continuing my adventure round Kent, going to Sevenoaks, Maidstone etc, all the big towns, then off to the coast and I'll be rocking Brighton soon! Here's my setlist for last night:

Lamplight (Bombay Bicycle Club Cover)
Different Names for The Same Thing (Death Cab For Cutie Cover)
I Will Follow You Into The Dark (Death Cab For Cutie Cover)
Don't Look Back In Anger (Oasis Cover)
Midnight
Opaque
My Reason To Believe
The Mixed Tape (Jack's Mannequin Cover)
Like A Rolling Stone (Bob Dylan Cover)

The whole performance was actually acoustic, because my usual back up band called in sick with swine flu! Bit annoyed at that, but the crowd seemed to enjoy it!
Offline Aj  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2009 08:43:07(UTC)
Aj

Man

ooc: A lickle rp :)

Charlie sat behind the small stage, the dark crimson curtains were drawn. The seats were filling up with mainly young teenagers, but the odd middle aged person sat down. He looked through a small gap in the curtains, sighting one boy that stuck out like a sore thumb. His hair all spiked up, acne ravaged his cheeks and a Carbrini jacket on. Not really the sort of person who usually went to his gigs. But hey, if he liked what he did then power to him.

Tonight he’d just be playing covers, a pretty safe bet. The other night he’d only played three of his songs – mainly because none of his were really ever finished. He’d start them off and spend about a day on it but then come back the next day and hate it and do another one. Even the ones he had down at the moment weren’t really that good.

But, the band was here tonight, which was good. Last time they hadn’t been, and it was a complete pain in the ass. They’re a good bunch of lads and he’d been touring with them for about three months now. People came and people went on the Charlie bandwagon but no one really stayed for longer than 6 months. Probably because they couldn’t cope with his arrogant humour and bluntness, but maybe also because they couldn’t stand the smell of the back of The Mothership – Charlie’s purple and blue VW ‘hippi’ van, decorated with adequate peace and love signs. It was nearly time to go on, he wasn’t nervous, a little shakey maybe but definitely not nervous. There were the usual butteflies in his belly but nothing that would affect his performance, and any emotions that leaked through were only good ones. He loved them and treasured them, the emotions, the feelings. They were always great, never let him down. There was fear, but a pleasant fear. A fear that made you feel alive. Even if it was a dingy club in a small down in the south east of England, there were people in front of you and they were listening to you and whether or not they liked you they were feeling something to.

He stood up and walked to where the band were sitting, about 5 metres away from him tuning up their guitars and playing around.

“Come on, lads. It’s time to go.” Charlie said, grabbing his acoustic guitar. The lads nodded and grinned cheekily. All five of them walked onto the stage, Charlie lifting his guitar into the air and the crowd all clapped quite relaxed. By the end they better be jumping, he said to the bass guitarist called Joe, who just laughed in reply. Charlie sat down on his chair and spoke down the mic.

“Hey, this song’s called Lamplight. I’d like to say it’s by me, but it isn’t, but it’s a good song, so I’ll play it anyway.” The crowd all clapped once again politely, and the low bass began strumming into the start of the song. Then soon after the lead joined in, playing the twangy riff.

You mirror gaze whilst I decide,
The moment you were deified,
You turn as if your mind replies
If your devout is unsurmountable
These scattered flashes of delight
They can't help but sway your mind

The crowd roared and began clapping, a few standing on their feet. He could feel the breath of the front row upon him.

Never really put me right,
The words we said by dim lamplight,
Bodies cold and intertwined,
I feel the spirit

Charlie now stood up, advising the crowd to follow suit, and the obliged greatfully. The stumpy security man had no chance of getting them down. Walking over to the old broken piano nearby him, he prepared for the next song – Dark Blue – which they jumped straight into.

Offline Aj  
#6 Posted : 16 December 2009 07:46:00(UTC)
Aj

Man

New E.P Coming Up

Okay so me and a few lads I know have recently been recording some stuff as Tom's brother's mate owns a recording studio - a pretty shit one admittedly - but hey it's the only way I'm ever going to stick some of my stuff out there. The E.P will probably be about 5/6 songs long depending on what ones we decide to cut - we've recorded about 14. Each one's my style, nothing too adventurous. They're all pretty acoustic but on a few of the song's we dug up an old keyboard, a violin, a trumpet and even a SITAR. They're pretty cool instruments actually. Really good fun time recording the music, and one of the women who works at the studio's pretty buff which means I'll be going back there a lot more often!

I hopefully want to put out an album in some shape or another soon, but I'm going to wait to see if we get slightly more of a following before hand we're trying to see if we can jump on the back of a big band and support them somewhere somehow. I'm going to be selling the E.P's after shows - all signed of course. I've never understood why you'd want a scribble on your case but oh well. The art probably won't be very impressive seeing as I'm going to knock something up on paint probably! But yeah okay that's about it, more updates coming soon soon soon!
Offline Aj  
#7 Posted : 17 December 2009 07:53:23(UTC)
Aj

Man

More News On E.P

Okay, so the E.P's going to be called 'Average', and it's going to be pretty experimental but not crazy - seeing as this is my first E.P, I want to get out my usual folk-based self to let the fans know where they are. But there is definitely going to be little splotches of classical in there, some jazz and a few punky moments so we'll see how it goes but we've got three day's to finish up the touches in the studio because Tom's brother's mate want's us out ASAP, annoyingly. So I'll have to add some more producer-y elements on the trusty PC when I get home. Hopefully it won't sound too naff - but hey we're selling it for £3 so you can't expect too much. Below's the artwork!

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 17 December 2009 08:26:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#8 Posted : 17 December 2009 08:08:28(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
A Stephanie Fierce' "Lips That Burned" song cover art rip-off, can this guy ever be original??? - Linda Fea

Offline Aj  
#9 Posted : 17 December 2009 08:11:33(UTC)
Aj

Man

stephaniewazhere wrote:
A Stephanie Fierce' "Lips That Burned" song cover art rip-off, can this guy ever be original??? - Linda Fea

ooc: Excuse me? Linda Fea wouldn't know Charlie anyway seeing as he's a very small solo project by a guy who can barely pay his rent, but sorry if you've already used the artwork? You could have just pm'd me rather than being a dick about it.
Offline Laurelles1  
#10 Posted : 18 December 2009 02:29:31(UTC)
Laurelles1

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
Jason - This is the guy that came to our show. He rocks.
Harry - Yeah man. I'm definitely gonna be buying this E.P
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#11 Posted : 19 December 2009 10:06:02(UTC)
Aj

Man

More EP NewsLucky you.

I know have the final tracklisting for the EP, as well as song lovely little song descriptions to keep your appetites whet which will be put up over the coming days. The EP will go on sale boxing day (it's not christmassy though!) and it will be available after my live shows for £3. Ape music stores around Kent are also selling it, but for £5! But wherever you buy it, enjoy it!

1 Metagrobolize - 7:14
2 Superman - 3:21
3 Tomorrow Came Yesterday - 5:34
4 Storm - 8:23
5 Raise Your Arms, Comrades! - 3:41
6 Together Youth, Carry Your Guns And Your Roses - 11:23

Average - Ep - By Charlie

Out 26th December
Offline Aj  
#12 Posted : 21 December 2009 02:55:45(UTC)
Aj

Man

Information About Tracks:

1. Metagrobolize
I composed this piece the other day – it’s really emotional. A lot of blood sweat and tears went into this track. It’s got a whole range of instruments in it, from violins to trumpets. It’s pretty epic. Just instrumental though, I didn't want to ruin it by putting in unnessasary words to it – I think the sounds speak for themselves. They’re really moving, hopefully anyway.

2. Superman
This song’s quite punky actually, it’s also got quite a jazzy feel to it. The lyrics are angsty and subtally politically charged. More blunt anarchy than soppy emotions, but hopefully quite a charming track and really one I let me feelings out on. Its roughly about how people aren’t always what they make out to be, but can be taken quite a few different ways.

3. Tomorrow Came Yesterday
The song starts of quite acoustic, with basically just my voice being the driving factor of it. But as it progresses more and more instruments jump on board as it picks up pace. The song's lyrics are about people wasting chances, and how you shouldn't wait for things to come to you. I express this as a junkie, who waits and waits expecting help to come to them but then it never does. A very serious song, and a definite change of pace from 'Superman'. It sounds pretty cliche but you should give it a listen anyway.

4. Storm
This song’s a really angry, aggressive song with post-rock elements to it. It’s got some distorted guitars half way through and it’s pretty insane. The closest possible thing I could compare it to is Crescent’s ‘Sun’, but even then it’s just got my pure voice with no distortion on it. The electronics give an aggressive background to depressive, sad vocals with little hope. It’s pretty much a song about my distaste for religion and everything it’s used for. The lyrics are full of anarchy and rebellion, and I don’t think the pope will like it much.

5. Raise Your Arms, Comrades!
This song’s a fair bit different than ‘Storm’ – it’s still got that punky feel to it, but the actual mood and tempo of the music in the song are quite uplifting and cheerful. This however clashes against the words and lyrics that are probably the darkest of the E.P. They’re about revolution, oppression, equality and racism. They viciously attack the governments of the world, and organisations like the KKK. Not a completely blind political attack though, I did a shit load of research before writing this so it’s not your typically pointless-angry teen tune. I got a lot of influence from bands like The Prisoners on this song.

6. Together Youth, Carry Your Guns
I wrote this song a few years back, but it never actually materialised into anything. This has really got quite a deep meaning to me, and hopefully will to kids across the UK. Because it's really all about how the youth of today are blamed no matter what they do. If they get good test results, the tests are getting easier. If there's a fight or a muggin, the kids are always involved. And I really feel strongly against this, because it's just a way of blaming others for your own mistakes. It's a long song, and really dramatic - lots of crashing symbols and big drum beats. It just expresses my views in music form, and therefore the lyrics aren't really very complicated - they're basically just a big FUCK YOU.

Edited by user 22 December 2009 22:43:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Aj  
#13 Posted : 22 December 2009 22:49:49(UTC)
Aj

Man

Okay, so the descriptions for the songs are now all up. Feedback from reviewers would be much appreciated! Or just about anyone really, I'd love to know how you all feel about. Feel free to comment below, just say whatever! LOVE YOU ALL! xxx
Offline Aj  
#14 Posted : 26 December 2009 22:47:27(UTC)
Aj

Man

The E.P. goes on sale today, right now I'm in Norwich and I'm playing a bar here tonight which'll be good fun. I'll give ya'll a bell sometime to tell you all how it went, thanks!

Charlie