logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Aj  
#41 Posted : 08 December 2009 03:52:34(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
Aj wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
To be fair though, you're taking the stance that unless you're going to write something great, why write at all? I'm sure those authors started out with clumsy dialogue and poor pacing before they got to be proper authors.

In the past attempts I've made at realising my fantasy world, I've come to the crippling conclusion that I can't write narrative. I'm far more interested in the world, in the background than in the story. It's true of almost all fantasy-themed things that I have read, or seen, or played. In Lord of the Rings, I'm far more fascinated by the concept of Ungoliant the spider, and Morgoth, cutting down the Trees of the Valar which were the Sun and the Moon, than Frodo's journey. Not to mention the maps with strange places on it that never get visited. It made me want to draw my own maps and create my own world, which is basically the reason why I stopped reading fantasy. It drives me to distraction because of the world that's already in my head. Hell, I even have a story, but it consists of guy gets some news, goes on a long boring quest, and since I went for a more realistic tone there's not really monsters or anything to make that bit interesting, and then eventually gets to this place and hangs out for a bit, and then writes a book and then goes home, and then goes insane, but I don't know how to write that compellingly, how to pace it, how to make any of hat interesting and so I haven't done it, and I'm left with a ridiculously detailed world in which no compelling stories are told.

Franly, I'd rather have written it and it be a bit shit that be left with this idea still rattling around in my brain.

With things like that, the actual basic storyline can be the most utterly dull thing anyone could ever comprehend. However it's all about the levels of description and the amount of personality you give to the characters.

Also, a technique I usually prefer to use is never actually set out to describe the persons personality at the start, I'd rather show it through dialogue and their actions and things like that, therefore the reader can get a certain impression from him rather than him just being told what's happening.

Even so, in practical terms, how can you make a through the countryside, and then eventually through a steep-sided valley full of skeletal remains, and then through more country, interesting? Two options I see, bring along another person and make them have conversations, or have there be a number of exciting occurrences on the journey. And how to illustrate the passage of time on a journey that takes months? I know how you do that in film, but in a novel? You can't really do a montage in writing.

You could do it in diary form, only including parts that are key to the storyline and possibly even show the decline in his moral through your use of language - for example set out his normal, intellectual self with a strong vocabulary and end up a blithering wreck that can barely string together a sentance to write in the book. You could EVEN kill the person he was talking to on the journey because of starvation.

Anyway, I'm getting carried away with myself. Still you could do it in the diary form :)
Offline asdf  
#42 Posted : 08 December 2009 21:41:18(UTC)
asdf

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
So, I have wrote 1500 words of Chapter Two, and I fear I may have ruined everything. If you would, could you read this and tell me your thoughts. Be as honest as honest is. I want to know everything bad or good about it if there is any. Please, I need help, as I am affraid that this chapter may have messed up even worse that the first. Thanks...

“Who is God?” James asked impatiently, and becoming angry. “James, I am not a mage. God is the spirit that created all beings, including you.” This of course sounded ridiculous to James who had never even heard the concept of God or Heaven. “James, I know I sound crazy, but you must listen. God created Serapnoir. He sent me here to deal with Zaleth. Zaleth is an angel too.” This pushed James over the edge. “So the man who is trying to kills us all is an angel sent by God, who loves all of us? How thick do I look old man?” James stood up quickly and walked towards the door of their velvet covered room. Amborn felt failure in the air; his body trembled in fear of explaining why he broke his promise with God. “James, I am not a fool. Nor do I believe that you are. I cannot prove to you that I am right. But you said yourself that I have exhibited magic beyond the everyday mage.” James agreed with this but thoughts of anger and everything else flooded his mind. “This is all happening way too fast. You expect me to become this fierce warrior of a spirit I have never heard of over night? I am a farmer! My entire family has been farmers! I am from Ailforth; the village of losers!” Amborn stood up and spoke in a more powerful voice, “James of Ailforth you are no loser! I know things that you know not. I have seen your future, and you are no Ailforth loser!” The room grew cold and James sat down on his bed to think. Just a week ago his life was normal. He knew nothing about this God fellow, and had no cared for the man Zaleth. What had this wizard done to him? His head hurt and he could not understand what was going on. “I’m going to sleep, see you in the morning.” he whispered and he fell back to sleep. Amborn silently left the room.

To the people watching Amborn appeared to vanish little by little with each step. In reality, he was going to Mount Gibs to talk to God. Amborn had thought about it the entire trip and decided to tell James against God’s will. Thoughts were now racing through his mind just as they were James’. He appeared atop the windy, snow topped mountain and put his staff into the ground. “Father, I wish to talk.” At first God did not appear which frightened Amborn into thinking that he had disobeyed God to greatly to be forgiven. God’s voice then echoed out over the great hills. “Amborn. You have broken our promise. Why?” His voice was deep, and powerful, yet fragile and soft at the same time. Amborn knelt down in the snow and called out, “Lord, I have indeed betrayed you. But it is James…he is harder to convince that I expected.” Amborn had anticipated James to be hesitant but he did not realize what his challenge was really going to cover. “I need to tell him some things. He needs to know everything. Please, he is the only chance we have! You told me that!” Slowly God’s voice rang out again, “I did indeed. James is the one who will lead the people in the battle. Amborn, you have been my most trust worthy angel. You have obeyed everything I have ever asked of you, and I reward you now…if you feel that this is how it must be. Let it be. Tell him everything. Go now son.” And Amborn knew that God had returned to Heaven. “Thank you.
Amborn had not expected it to be so easy, God usually is very particular about these things, maybe, Amborn thought, God had a plan that he had not told him? Either way, Amborn knew that there was much to tell to James, and he needed to do it right. He stayed up most of the night writing notes and thinking how to explain the tragedy that was planet Earth, and how Zaleth became obsessed with power.

But James was not there when Amborn woke up. His sheets were nicely arranged and a small note was atop his pillow. He scrambled around the hotel and finally returned to read the note.

Amborn,
I have gone to meet with the King, if he will let me in. If he has indeed joined Zaleth, then he will allow me in for the chance at killing me. He will not. I am going to kill the King at noon, meet me in the courtyard.
James

“That…idiot!” Amborn hurried out the door and down to the road. He had to make it to the tower before noon or James would surely die. But as he reached the steps the clock tower rang out and he knew that he was too late. Twelve times it rang and as it rang to a silence, God’s voice spoke to Amborn, “The tower window.” And the wind blew strongly toward the rising stone tower. From the window a body fell, James was going to die. Closer and closer it got to the ground and finally Amborn put his staff to the ground and whispered something in an unknown language. James was floating in mid air and slowly was heading toward Amborn and a host of other towns people. But as the body got closer, Amborn got a quick shock down his spine. The man he saved was not James; it was Thomas, the Kings servant. “Thank you, sir. I am not worthy.” Thomas spoke quickly and began to babble unintelligibly. “Shut up and tell me what’s going on in the tower!” Amborn shouted with great power, “Oh…its horrible it is…the King has been slain! Zaleth was here, he came to the tower and the King ordered me to let him in. When he left I went in to talk to him, but he was dead. Your young friend came in and tossed me out the window thinking I was King Laos.” Amborn shook his head in anger, but he could not help but find humor in the situation. “I have to go, will you be alright?” to which Thomas shook his head.

When Amborn arrived in the tower he found James sitting on the floor holding his head, crying. “Do you realize what you’ve done? You almost killed Thomas, a mere servant! One night you done believe a word I say, the next you go to do my every command? What is wrong with you?” James had already felt bad about this but Amborn’s anger only made him sob harder. “It doesn’t matter; the King has already been killed.” “What do you mean? Who killed him?” James asked, “Zaleth came here this morning. He got by without even one person questioning him. This city will cause its own doom.” This somehow made James feel better about what he had done. At least now he would be King and Amborn could carry out the rest of the plan. “So…I am King now?” James asked stupidly. “King? No, these people of Palamoore will never allow you to be King without reason! I am afraid you have truly mistaken our place in this land.” It was true, James had never even taken second thought to the people of the city, he had only focused on killing King Laos. “Damn it Amborn! What must I do that will put things right? I have done what you asked of me, or at least tried, without question…what else is there?” Amborn paused; he was beginning to think he had chosen the wrong man to aid him, “Are you honestly that stupid boy? You thought this would be easy? Perhaps I explained to softly when I spoke of battlefields and war?” The look upon Amborn’s face was one of deep sorrow, and it made James feel ashamed of himself, “No…I suppose not.” He replied as he shook his head. “Then what must I do that can prove these people that I deserve to be King? I have already told you, these people want politicians, or a member of the council’s to be King, not some farmer from Ailforth.” “Right you are James and that is precisely why you must become a soldier.” Out of politicians and council men, he did not say soldier, and James wondered where this might fit in. “Come now, guards will soon want to patrol the area, and we should not be here when they come.”

The night at the lakeshore was a troubled one for Amborn. Everything he had expected to happen, had not, but everything that could have went wrong, did. He sat at the fire and pondered the entire thing. His plan was for James to become a soldier, fight his way through the ranks, as Zaleth would soon be attacking. Only then would he attack the King and attempt to take rule over Palamoore, only then would he have respect enough for the people to accept him. Instead, before he could explain better, James took the small grain of information and blew the entire plan out of possibility. “Father, what have I done?” he whispered as he went to sleep, “What have I done…”
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Rincewind  
#43 Posted : 08 December 2009 21:52:46(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
right..
you use the word loser far to much.
once again i would say that you are rushing things, you need to take more time to describe the angst Amborn is going through when he is explaining God to James. Where is the internal debate?
it couldn't hurt to thrown in a good dose of mythology here as well, give a creation story instead of just saying God did this then that.

why does God forgive Amborn that quickly? he has betrayed one of the most serious edicts given to him, and god just shruggs it off?

overall i do still think you are jumping about far to much, rushing to this then that without fully explaining things.
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline asdf  
#44 Posted : 08 December 2009 21:55:06(UTC)
asdf

Man

Yes, I know...is it worth keeping at all, or should I just go for a total re-write? I am having a lot of "internal debate" myself right now. Lol.

Offline Rincewind  
#45 Posted : 08 December 2009 21:57:52(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

personally what i would do (and this is just me), is take what you have written allready, and use it as a plot outline. There is nothing wrong with the story, or whats been put down allready, infact credit to you for putting it on here (something im to much of a coward to do)..

I would go back to the begining and while reading what you have think about detail, character development and empathy and general world building. then start at te begining and give it another crack... Nothing is perfect thirst time round (unless your chuck norris)
and im just like:
Offline asdf  
#46 Posted : 08 December 2009 22:01:27(UTC)
asdf

Man

Thanks, I figured it would be good to get some comments, and it has.

I was afraid you would say that, but I knew it was coming, because that was what I figured I should do. I think i may have attacked something I wasnt prepared enough to take on, but I think I will start again and give it another go. Thanks Rince, again you have saved my crap. ;)

Offline Rincewind  
#47 Posted : 08 December 2009 22:04:15(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

to be honest, i think your biggest problem is your mindset. I know you've written short stories in the past, and i think because of that you feel you have to pack it all in to a small space..
if it is a novel as you said it should be, you have the time and space to develop a lot more. Think instead of 1500 a chapter.... 20 pages a chapter... That gives you the room to describe properly, develop the plot at a sutible pace and also work in some great dialoge.
and im just like:
Offline asdf  
#48 Posted : 08 December 2009 22:08:29(UTC)
asdf

Man

Hmm....I think you may be right, and after reading your comments on chapter one, I think I was trying to add more, but was still fighting myself with telling myself "your putting too much, its getting boring." and things like that... Its like Im split down the middle. I did make chapter one 15 pages long, on a 6x9 page size.

Offline Rincewind  
#49 Posted : 08 December 2009 23:38:36(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Prologue

The wind howled through the halls of the saviour, whipping up dust and sand and spinning it in intricate patterns. Amborn wrapped his cloak tighter to shut out the chill, staring at the swirling dust he got the impression that if only he looked a bit closer and for a bit longer he might see God's plan unfold before him. Glancing about he could not help but notice a subdued atmosphere about Pintera. Ever since Zaleth had left, the halls had lost some of their light. Hearing footsteps he turned to see Paeori walking towards him.
“you have been summon to the the high chamber Amborn” said Paeori in an almost whisper, not wanting to disturb whatever it was that had held his attention for so long. Looking at Amborn, he could not help but wonder why he had been sent to find him, glancing at him from head to toe, all he saw was an aging fool, covered in dust with an unkempt beard. “the lord himself has requested your presence”.
Standing up Amborn winced slightly, had he really been sat down for so long? Paeori noticing his discomfort offered an arm as they set off towards the chamber of gold.
Standing at the entrance to the Golden halls Amborn felt his Lords presence all around him. It felt like a spring morn just before a Thunderstorm. “enter”, the word erupted into his mind with such force and power. It hurt, but in a good way, a heady mixture of pain and overwhelming pleasure at having his Lord, his god speaking to him. Stumbling into the Chamber Amborn was almost blinded with rapture, simply from being in his presence. Dropping to his knee's Amborn barely managed to whisper “what would you have from me Jehovah?”
“I am troubled” Amborn heard pulsing in his skull... “I fear that Zaleth has fallen”. Hearing this Amborn started to panic. His dear friend killed? But how, Zaleth was protected by his Gods own will, surely no harm could have come to him. “Lord but how? Surely you yourself protect him?”
Amborn then felt sorrow erupting almost from the walls, and it took all he had not to be overwhelmed. “No Amborn, Not slain... Fallen. He has gone the way of the morning star. He has put me from his heart and now claims dominance over the lands of Serapnoir. He already holds the Cities of Lamerith in thrall”. Hearing this news Amborn was filled full of questions. How had Zaleth, one of their brightest fallen? Had they not all learnt from Lucifer? And then. What is Serapnoir?
Jehovah sensing the questions Amborn did not dare ask sighed. “Serapnoir was to be my new Eden Amborn. I created it in my image after realising I had failed man. I.... Hoped to do better. I thought a world that did not know my touch, my voice, my will might prosper where a world riven with false prophets claiming my voice as their own failed. I sent the brightest of you Angels down to watch and guide where it was needed. To help to watch... to lead by example..... and I failed. Again
Amborn could not believe what he had just heard... Zaleth turned to the dark, a new Eden created? “but Lord. Why tell me this? What can I do?”
Go Amborn, you are my arch in this, I have watched you. I have seen your soul.. Go to Serapnoir, heal what can be healed, save what can be saved and stop Zaleth.” With that Jehovah waved a hand and the divine wind rushed through the Chamber, lifting Amborn and carrying him away...

is a quick rough draft of where i would go with the prologue... Obviously with more detail, descriptions of the different places as well as more in depth convo, and better described reactions and feelings..

i would also then start chapter one with Amborn landing on Mount Gib, during a snowstorm, tumbling down etc etc maybe with slight memory loss.... who knows...
anyway im now off into town to do some last minute shopping.
and im just like:
Offline asdf  
#50 Posted : 08 December 2009 23:42:34(UTC)
asdf

Man

Holy shi* Rince! I dont know why you are doing this for me, but I thank you deeply. This has given me a new perspective on my own idea, and the fact that you took the time to do this is amazing. Also, its really good, you should consider writing more often and posting it. Thanks again.

Offline asdf  
#51 Posted : 09 December 2009 01:14:41(UTC)
asdf

Man

Rince, I have kept your prologue almost completely word for word, other than changing Paeori to Jonah. If you give me your name I would gladly credit you for it.

Also, I have begun work on the new Chapter One, and have got three paragraphs done, so here it is...

Amborn looked around as many different images flashed before his eyes, it had seemed like a lifetime that he was falling but yet he fell still. Thoughts still rushed through his head about Yahweh’s great order. What was he meant to do on this land that he knew nothing about? What of Zaleth? His best friend and the head Angel had fallen. What would this mean to Pintera, land of God? Surely there was something wrong, some piece of information that he had misunderstood, but before he could think of anything he saw blue skies and clouds below him. Soon, he could see the land around him. It reminded him of Earth, its peaceful mountains, and rivers running through the plains. Right as he was marveling in the beauty of it, he thudded down on the ground and he felt his body quiver in pain. Looking around he saw that he was on a very tall mountain, in fact, it was the tallest in sight. Before he got up he took the time to massage his knees which absorbed much of the impact, and were quite sore.

Looking around he saw no path down, and decided he must climb down. The trees were a beautiful green that reminded him of his cabin on Earth. The many different shades of dirt and grass were amazing in their glimmer, and shine. He walked gently for some time before coming to a large drop off and had to find a decent ladder formation of rocks to climb down on. But as he lowered his foot down, the rock underneath it cracked in two sending him down through the air toward the bottom nearly two hundred feet below. He was certain he would land hard and break his back but just before the moment of impact, he stopped. Floating in the air he wondered what could have done such a thing. As he thought about it, he slowly lowered to the ground and was placed down softly and comfortably.

He stood up to examine himself and the area, but found no remarkable reason for his miraculous save. How queer, he thought to himself, does this land of Serapnoir have resistant gravity? He walked along a small clearing, edging towards the small pond below. For nearly seventy years he had been dead, and had never experienced thirst. Now that he felt it again, it came strangely but naturally to drink the water. It was cold, and as it touched his lips it brought back many memories of his past life. He remembered cold milk, and hot eggs fresh from the stovetop. He remembered going hunting and looking for squirrels with his son. Amborn had not thought of these things in a long time. Not since he was accepted to be an Angel of the Order, and his son turned down had he thought of his life. When becoming an Angel, you are transported to Pintera, land of God away from all of the other spirits. For thirty long years, Amborn had not seen or heard of his son Terrance. He wondered what it must be like, to be in Heaven along with the other spirits. Pintera was a wonderful place, and he loved being in the service of Yahweh…but he could not help but wish to be with his family.

Edited by user 09 December 2009 01:29:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rincewind  
#52 Posted : 09 December 2009 03:32:45(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

fantastic... i think its a lot lot better... the descriptions help you picture it... i love the idea of having him sense his fall...
personally i would be tempted to keep Amborn from knowing his powers and having him discover new ones as he goes along.. that way you can introduce them to the reader via Amborn redisocvering his gifts...

i would also be tempted to introduce James by having him discover Amborn while out sheperding / cutting wood / working in a field... seeing that he needs help, taking him in and nursing him back to strength etc etc thus showing amborn what a true and good person this James is and giving Amborn a believable reason for reaching out t him and asking him to help him on his journey possibly as a guide seeing as Amborn knows nothing of this strange new place! (obviously just idea's though)....

giving Amborn a connection to the real world as well is very very good, i like how he was raised from heaven to become an angel.. May sound a bit blastphomas for some of you, but i would be tempted to throw something in there about how Amborn is Yahweh's vessel in this world in the same way that Jesus was in our world... with the twist that no one knew he was coming, prepared his way, had the religion etc etc Maybe have a bit about even thoug Amborn has left Pintera and the presence of his God he can still feel the light inside of him etc etc, and maybe this is where he gets his powers from? whereas maybe mages in the world who he will probably meet at some point gain their powers from the blood (ie their life source)... and every bit of magic they use ages them a bit, unless they use the blood of another etc etc? thus giving you an easily identifiable evil in the world to combat..

no worries with having to credit me with anything man... all i did was re-word what i thought you were trying to say and adding a few bits i thought it needed).
and im just like:
Offline Gildermershina  
#53 Posted : 09 December 2009 04:02:28(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Every time I read the name Amborn, I'm reminded of this girl I'd rather not be reminded of, who is trying to be a writer but she cannot spell, and has little idiosyncrasies, such as the fact that she thinks "am" is the same as "I'm" so it's like "Am going to the shop," or "Am happy," so I just imagine Amborn as being someone who was born and then said "Am born!"
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline asdf  
#54 Posted : 09 December 2009 04:08:41(UTC)
asdf

Man

Rincewind wrote:
fantastic... i think its a lot lot better... the descriptions help you picture it... i love the idea of having him sense his fall...
personally i would be tempted to keep Amborn from knowing his powers and having him discover new ones as he goes along.. that way you can introduce them to the reader via Amborn redisocvering his gifts...

i would also be tempted to introduce James by having him discover Amborn while out sheperding / cutting wood / working in a field... seeing that he needs help, taking him in and nursing him back to strength etc etc thus showing amborn what a true and good person this James is and giving Amborn a believable reason for reaching out t him and asking him to help him on his journey possibly as a guide seeing as Amborn knows nothing of this strange new place! (obviously just idea's though)....

giving Amborn a connection to the real world as well is very very good, i like how he was raised from heaven to become an angel.. May sound a bit blastphomas for some of you, but i would be tempted to throw something in there about how Amborn is Yahweh's vessel in this world in the same way that Jesus was in our world... with the twist that no one knew he was coming, prepared his way, had the religion etc etc Maybe have a bit about even thoug Amborn has left Pintera and the presence of his God he can still feel the light inside of him etc etc, and maybe this is where he gets his powers from? whereas maybe mages in the world who he will probably meet at some point gain their powers from the blood (ie their life source)... and every bit of magic they use ages them a bit, unless they use the blood of another etc etc? thus giving you an easily identifiable evil in the world to combat..

no worries with having to credit me with anything man... all i did was re-word what i thought you were trying to say and adding a few bits i thought it needed).

I wrote a few more paragraphs and its amazing how your ideas are what I used before you posted them.

CHAPTER ONE CONTINUED
He finally reached the bottom of the great mountain, nearly three hours after his arrival at Serapnoir. Past the fields he could see many different lands and rivers. There was a vast lake, with a river heading north. Through a mere whim he decided to follow it, and began his journey to wherever he could find people. The river was long, and narrow, but its water was crystal blue. In it, he could see an assortment of fish and frogs as they swam around and flopped above the water. After a while Amborn was wondering if there was any intelligent life on this new planet until finally he saw something drinking from the river in front of him. It appeared to be a great horse, larger than any he had ever seen. As he approached he noticed something very strange about this creature; it had the head of a great ape! Amborn stopped dead in his tracks about thirty feet away in hopes of not being noticed. The strange creature finally looked up and stared right at him. Amborn’s knees shook and he fell to the ground as it met him face to face.

“Hello human. I am Derek, who may I ask are you?” Did this horse creature just speak to me? Surely not! But the ape face continued to look at him with wondering eyes, and Amborn built up the courage to answer. “My name…I’m Amborn.” The creature backed up a bit and shook his head, “Never heard of you. Where are you from, Amborn?” To this Amborn did not know how to reply, he could not speak of Heaven, or God or surely he would be punished. “I am from very far away….what, if you don’t mind my asking, are you?” This for some reason or another caused the creature to laugh. “That’s a good one, “What am I?” ha, very funny.” “I’m sorry mister, but I honestly have not a clue what you are.” Slowly the creature stopped laughing and began to stare at Amborn blankly, “You don’t?” “Sorry, but no I don’t.” This made the creature frown a bit, “Very odd, most humans know very much about us Grogans.” “Grogans?” “Yes, that is what we are called. We mostly live in a place called the White Oak Forrest, but surely you know of the great white wood?” Again Amborn was embarrassed to admit that he knew nothing of these creatures or places.

“Surely you are not of Lamerith, if you truly know so little.” Derek calmly stated with a chuckle. “Uh… no I’m not.” This finally calmed the creature and the two began conversing about their day, apparently Derek was ordered by the other Grogans to come and find a man who was sent by another man, whose name was Yahweh. “You know of Yahweh?” Amborn asked quickly, not realizing he had interrupted Derek. “No, but I know that he sent you. Who is the fellow?” “Oh…I cannot say. Will you take me to your people then, if they know him I must talk to them.” The large ape head shook in agreement and after drinking a little longer, they headed towards the White Oak Forrest.

- I am planning on having the Grogans to explain the world a bit more to him, and he wont learn of his powers to much until he needs them and they are "used" without his effort, and he must learn to control them.

Offline Rincewind  
#55 Posted : 09 December 2009 09:45:00(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

i think it is better that way. Always introduce your world from the viewpoint of someone who has never seen it before, that way you can get away with explaining it :)

over all i think it is a lot lot lot better than the first attempt. however i do think you still have room for expansion...

instead of "After a while Amborn was wondering if there was any intelligent life on this new planet until finally he saw something drinking from the river in front of him. It appeared to be a great horse, larger than any he had ever seen. As he approached he noticed something very strange about this creature; it had the head of a great ape"

you could attempt to expand it to something like...

Amborn wandered down the river glancing at the exotic looking fish, the vibrant colours clashing with the clear blue water. Truely Amborn thought this the new garden of eden, his eyes saw nothing but wonder, from tall tree's towering high above him filled full of the most wonderous sounds and sights, to the lowliest fish in the pool. Standing still and letting the breeze flow through his unbound hair Amborn thought that surely noting can defile this place.. and yet there was no sight of man, no log fire smoke, no roads and no fields... Amborn wonderd if man even existed here, and if not was there anything of intelligence at all? where was gods sign? what threat was there to save this paradise from?
wandering further down the river Ambrose glanced a horse. When he got closer he felt a shiver down his spine.. this was the tallest horse he had ever seen. a full 30 hands tall with sweat dripping from its flanks as if it had run twenty leagues. as the horse lifted its head after quenching its thirst Ambrose fell over with shock.. The horse had no natural head, but instead had the face of an ape. Its jowls dripping with the ice cold water its teeth yellowed as if they were drinking in the afternoon sun in an attempt to extinguish it. As the beast turned towards him Ambron started to panic, how could he defend himself against this clear abomination? then he noticed the bemused twinkle in the beasts eyes which gave away the knowing look of a sentinent creature...

also Derek? no offence but that is a really really poor name...

also How do the grogans know of God? you really need to think this out as it could be a major plot flaw..

Edited by user 09 December 2009 09:48:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

and im just like:
Offline asdf  
#56 Posted : 09 December 2009 17:15:18(UTC)
asdf

Man

They dont, God appeared to them as an average man and told them of Amborn. They know nothing of his...Godliness.

Derek just seemed to fit the character and personality I was planning for him.

I agree, Im still working out the kinks, but I did feel this to be a moment of under-description too, so I will see what i can do with it.

Offline Rincewind  
#57 Posted : 09 December 2009 18:09:10(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

asdf wrote:
They dont, God appeared to them as an average man and told them of Amborn. They know nothing of his...Godliness.

in which case why doesn't God sort out the problems with Zaleth himself? why does he need Amborn? If God can interact with the world the whole point of having to send Amborn is redundent.
and im just like:
Offline asdf  
#58 Posted : 09 December 2009 18:14:52(UTC)
asdf

Man

You have just ruined my plan...thanks for pointing that out though. Perhaps, a dream of him would work better? I really dont know what to do now.

Offline Rincewind  
#59 Posted : 09 December 2009 18:25:04(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

asdf wrote:
You have just ruined my plan...thanks for pointing that out though. Perhaps, a dream of him would work better? I really dont know what to do now.

its what i do ;)

i don't see how it ruins your plans, you just need a different excuse for Amborn to go with.... derek
and im just like:
Offline asdf  
#60 Posted : 09 December 2009 18:36:25(UTC)
asdf

Man

Okay, I think I will just go with the, "you seem to know the area" approach.

I dont know of any other name that would work.... Torek? Darish? Lol.