logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PANIC!  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2009 14:44:53(UTC)
PANIC!

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Studio album by Ashley Perry
Released: December 17, 2009 (see release history)
Recorded: December 2008 - November 2009
Lightning Sound Studios, January 2009 - March 2009
(Hidden Hills, California)
Black Bird Studio, April 2009/August 2009 - September 2009
(Nashville, Tennessee)
7-9 Legendary Studios, October 2009 - November 2009
(West Los Angeles, California)
Genre: Alternative rock, pop punk, pop rock, emo
Length: 42:32
Label: Unknown/Independent
Producer: Ryan Ross Hernandez (exec.), Ashley Perry

Singles from Songs Meet Heartbeats

1. "The Truth Is Never Easy"
Released: December 19th, 2009

2. "My Temporary Home Isn't Home"
Released: January 5th, 2009

Track listing

All music composed by Ashley Perry and Ryan Ross Hernandez; all lyrics written by Ashley Perry, except where noted.

1. "Are You Alone?" – 3:21
Genre(s): alternative rock, pop punk, emo

"The half-ballad of "Are You Alone?"; song/record starts out with some crunchy guitar work and without wasting anytime, Ashley shouting out “We’re all just everyday people.” The lyrics in this song are about feeling lonely. This song gets a little repetitive towards the end but it has a different feel to it and would be a good song to listen to as a motivational song if you were feeling lonely. This one gets the point across that everyone feels a little lonely sometimes and we have to realize that."

2. "Save You" – 4:03
Writer(s): Perry, Hernandez, Emily Williams
Genre(s): pop rock

"Ashley's pal/bandmate/ex-boyfriend Ryan Ross Hernandez and his new songwriting buddy/girlfriend Emily Williams scribbled this little gem to life (Wow, it seems like everyone involved in the making of this album have been involved, romantically with one another). A ballad of sorts, this is one of those concert track where the artist usually brings out a bar stool and a guitar and spouts off some sort of "Natalie Manes" political comment. With its somber lyrics, piano interlude and marching band drum outro."

3. "My Temporary Home Isn't Home" – 4:28
Genre(s): alternative rock, emo

"A sad, beautiful song is what this, formulaic 3-part song is. Ashley developed the concept, title and scenes for the entire song. Even looking past the formula, the song earnestly tries to convey it's religious message and it comes across loud and clear. It's a little blunt; namely that even a casual music fan could see the last verse coming from a mile away, but the song is still effective. Luckily, even if it is a little blunt, "My Temporary Home" is easily one of Ashley's best vocal performances. The song's notion that this life is just a “temporary home” in preparation for the afterlife is very much how Ashley sees this life, and many listeners everywhere will be able to relate. It's also nice that she pays attention to some of the more maligned social groups, namely foster kids and moms in halfway houses- something that's a little more rare in modern mainstream song."

4. "The Mess I Made" – 3:50
Genre(s): pop rock, emo

"A slow song led by soft piano with a memorable hook. It's a big rock ballad. A beautifully solemn, heartbreaking plea, not for a second chance but rather telling the person, or even more themselves to move on from the 'mess' made and get on with life their life."

5. "Falling Stars" – 5:49
Genre(s): pop punk, acoustic rock

"The near six-minute "Stars", with the two-thirds of the song taking the shape of a heartfelt acoustic ballad, while the final act, begun by Ashley passionately yelling "This one's for you!", is a musically and emotionally huge refrain that demands to be heard through a quality pair of headphones. The song doesn't feel nearly as long as it is, which is a testament both to her songwriting chops and to its placement in the track listing. Just as lyrically swift as anything from PANIC! or Ryan Ross Hernandez, Ashley Perry has the perfect amount of edge and mainstream capability to bring her widespread attention. Perry never forces anything, and her vocals are tailor-made for the material at hand -- even the acoustic first half of "Stars," which never brings in the strings or the choir arrangements for emphasis. She merely focuses on organic melodies with a tightened, finely-tuned pop-punk core."

6. "I Need To Know" – 3:34
Genre(s): alternative rock, pop rock, emo

"It’s a sparse, piano-driven ballad that’s easy on the ears if a little brutal on the soul. Our broken and weary beauty sounds like she barely has the will to ask if the relationship she’s in has a future. “Are you leaving me?/ Or are you leading the way?/ Can you hear what I’m saying?” Ashley asks, her voice little more than a gravelly shadow of its usual self. That might not sound like high praise, but it is. There’s beauty in the agony, and in a chorus that’s no more and no less than a repetition of the pleading song title. I’m not sure radio’s adventurous enough for something this stripped-down and bleak, but it will sure be a fan favorite upon release, despite it being the saddest song on the record."

7. "Caught Myself Before My Thoughts Took Over" – 3:55
Genre(s): alternative rock, pop punk

"The music's noir-punk/symphonic-rock sound evoked images that are relatable to a dangerous love affair. Beginning with a 47-second instrumental intro, until Ashley begins to sing in the softest tone she can, until the drums kick in again right before the chorus and she realizes the mistake she was about to make. Another God reference, which by the time you hear this song, you will realize there are many throughout the album."

8. "(Nothing's) Bigger Than Love" – 3:57
Genre(s): pop punk

"A solid sing-along that charges forward to one of the most memorable moments of the record. The song would fit in perfectly, if it went towards a ballad atmosphere but aside from the repetitive piano note in the intro and soft acoustic riff before the chorus are the only hints at a ballad. It is a rather dominate pop/punk number that could have fit in perfectly with PANIC!'s pop-punk perfection record, Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner."

9. "Heartache To Sing" – 4:55
Genre(s): alternative rock, emo

"The fairy tale-like “Heartache To Sing,” will all tug on your heart strings. It starts off with a beautiful acoustic guitar intro, with Perry singing calmly, before going into the first verse, full of inspired guitar riffs. The chorus is great, and the lyrics have a good meaning if you listen closely. The guitars are another high point, even though they don't sound entirely original.

The song really hits you just before the three-minute mark, when it gets to the bridge. Perry properly shows off her vocal talent here, and her backing band is at its best for the next two minutes, until the song ends. The outro is pretty much the same as the intro, with the same acoustic guitar playing the same tune.

The production value of this song, is the best Hernandez has brought as a producer. With all these elements it's no surprise that it was chosen as a single for Perry.
"

10. "The Truth Is Never Easy" – 4:40 (featuring Ryan Ross Hernandez)
Writer(s): Perry, Hernandez
Genre(s): alternative rock, pop rock

"The second-saddest song on the record conjures up the image of PANIC!'s beloved, struggling to be a good spouse and hold up her metaphorical house as it crumbles down around her. Those audible intakes of breath before the “Yeahs” on the chorus lend an additional intimacy to the proceedings, and the overarching theme of “good folks, bad relationship” is one that doesn’t get explored nearly as often as it should. More-so than any other part, it’s this couplet of Perry and Hernandez singing in-sync: “Tryin to be perfect, tryin’ not to let you down/ Honesty is honestly the hardest thing for me right now”. Shows that these two are at their best, musically, when they are working together."

Personnel

The following personnel contributed to Songs Meet Heartbeats:

Primary Artist

Ashley Perry - lead vocals, lyrics

Main Band

Ryan Ross Hernandez - piano, guest vocals on track 10
Josh Fallon - lead guitar, backing vocals
Christopher Davis - bass guitar
Taylor Williams - rhythm guitar, keyboards, xylophone
Joey Fallon - drums, percussion

Production

Ryan Ross Hernandez - producer
Ashley Perry - co-producer
Chris York - mixing
Peter Jensen - mastering
Doug McDonald - engineering
Jamie Morrison - keyboards, organ

Release history

Australia: December 11, 2009
New Zealand: December 11, 2009
Austria: December 14, 2009
Belgium: December 14, 2009
Denmark: December 14, 2009
Finland: December 14, 2009
France: December 15, 2009
Germany: December 15, 2009
Ireland: December 15, 2009
Italy: December 15, 2009
Spain: December 17, 2009
Sweden: December 17, 2009
Switzerland: December 17, 2009
Canada: December 18, 2009
United Kingdom: December 18, 2009
United States: December 18, 2009
Netherlands: December 21, 2009
Norway: December 21, 2009
Mexico: December 22, 2009
Brazil: December 24, 2009
Japan: January 5, 2009

Edited by user 19 December 2009 10:07:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2009 08:41:55(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

The wait is finally over! Ashley Perry's new debut album Songs Meet Heartbeats is here! There are quite a few ways you can get a copy and some amazing deals for it. Check them all out below to find the one best for you!

ITUNES: get the Deluxe Version with bonus tracks, bonus videos and iTunes LP featuring exclusive photos, handwritten lyrics and an exclusive band interview.

HOT TOPIC: You can get the new album and any PANIC! t-shirt for only $20 in Hot Topic stores or online.

AMAZON MP3: For a very limited time, you can download the album for only $3.99 from MySpace Music through Amazon MP3!

BEST BUY: Pick up a copy of the album at Best Buy for only $9.99 through Monday!

TARGET: For one week only, Target has the new album on sale for only $9.99!

WALMART: If you rather wait, on December 28 and only on that day, if you buy both Songs Meet Heartbeats and Ryan Ross Hernandez' new record Dark Secret Love, you'll get both for only $10.99!

Edited by user 18 December 2009 08:43:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2009 14:22:40(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

What The Critics Said

Universal acclaim reviews
Overall Score: 87
Based on 14 critic reviews

Entertainment Weekly

Songs Meet Heartbeats is a portrait of an artist in full possession of her powers, and one of the best mainstream-rock albums so far this year.

Final Score: 100

Rolling Stone

Of course she's quieting down as she grows up, but by no means does it lack energy and passion, since it has plenty of both. She isn't as angry as on PANIC!'s latest record but it's still easy to hear how her new-found fame still isn't easy for her.

Final Score: 91

Billboard.com

A dense, challenging record, Songs Meet Heartbeats finds Perry setting the benchmark for the pop/rock genre even as she begins to consider the possibilities beyond its borders.

Final Score: 90

Alternative Press

Songs Meet Heartbeats might be the most thrilling ride Perry has ever given us, even more than her work with PANIC!.

Final Score: 90

Spin

Whether she is singing about modern day fairytales or collapsing relationships, the upgrade is one of focus and energy.

Final Score: 83

The New York Times

This is a realisation, and an affirmation, of the amazing musical craftmanship and potential longevity, the Perry-Hernandez working duo have.

Final Score: 80

musicOMH.com

Songs Meet Heartbeats shows that Perry-Hernandez are their best working together --now they've just got to regroup their band and create the classic album the fans know they can make with PANIC!.

Sputnikmusic

The PANIC!-girl kicks up a riot on surprisingly edgy outing.

All Music Guide

While Perry still packs the same energy of a PANIC! record, it is a emotional roller-coaster that by the end will leave you confused.

Final Score: 70

Boston Globe

Songs Meet Heartbeats is certainly a sharp enough unit that doesn’t lack for energy, but it shows why PANIC! is that driven success when it's the six-untouched unit. While it is sure to have success, it isn't better than PANIC!'s last 2 records, Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner and Broken Down on Memory Lane.

New Musical Express

Seems like she's been more influenced by Ryan Ross Hernandez than PANIC! on this record, not saying it is a bad thing but to become a long-lasting record it should have had the edgy-style that makes PANIC! so appealing.

The Phoenix

PANIC!'s Broken Down on Memory Lane, without the long lasting value. Seems Hernandez' pushed more to highlight Ashley's vocals, which he does get through well, but forgot about all the other musical aspects.

Final Score: 63

NOW Magazine

Rough edges, like the curt bathos of the lyrics (which repeatedly mistake brusqueness for wit), may be improved in the future. Either way, the music is already as catchy that of PANIC!'s, without nearly as much of the put-on faux-cleverness.

Final Score: 63

Mojo

The soon-to-be 21-year old Perry can sing, and that is the highlight of the record but the album suffers due to the backing band performances being so controlled. Whether that be Ashley's or Ryan's fault is unknown, although our money is on Hernandez.

Final Score: 60
UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2009 15:15:39(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

First Single Announced

Despite early speculations, "Heartache To Sing" has been replaced as the first single off of Ashley Perry's debut album, instead opting to release "The Truth Is Never Easy" featuring the producer of the record and fellow PANIC! bandmate, Ryan Ross Hernandez.

The single was rumored to be pushed by their management team for many different marketing reasons. First, Hernandez' new album will be coming out later this month without having to release a single off it yet, he already has the promotional boost for the record by being featured on Perry's new single and Stephanie Fierce's top 20 hit "I Love The Way You Loath Me". Secondly, PANIC! fans will almost think of it as a PANIC! single since it features the bands most popular members. Third, it was one of the most praised songs by critics who have reviewed the album. And finally the media loves them both! The relationship-based song written by the duo is sure to bring up a good debate by both media members and fans. Are they singing about their former relationship? Are they singing about their current respective relationships?

Nevertheless maybe some truth (no pun intended), will be shed on the song once a video is really sometime before year's end.

Rolling Stone Review

I’m not lying when I say that the driving rock soaring track “The Truth Is Never Easy” was the first song off this album that really moved me to tears (I was like, WHY THE HELL AM I CRYING?). I don’t usually cry over songs, but damn, this song moved me. It’s a beautiful song with beautiful lyrics that pierce through my heart. The more I listen to it, the more I fall in love with it. This should easily be a soundtrack of some romantic film or TV drama. This is the kind of song anyone can listen to in solitary. Remember to bring some Kleenex though.

Lyrics

[Ashley Perry:]
Lying next to you
Wishing I could disappear

[Ryan Ross Hernandez:]
Let you fall asleep
And vanish out into thin air

It's the elephant in the room
And we pretend that we don't see it
It's an avalanche that looms above our heads
And we don't believe it

[Ashley Perry & Ryan Ross Hernandez:]
Trying to be perfect, trying not to let you down
Honesty is honestly the hardest thing for me right now
While the floors underneath our feet are crumbling
The walls we built together tumbling
I still stand here, holding up the roof

'Cause it's easier than telling the truth

I still keep your photographs
I remember how we used to laugh

I can't keep on losing sleep
If you're okay with being torn in half

It's the elephant in the room
And we pretend that we don't see it
It's an avalanche that looms above our heads
And we don't believe it

Stop ignoring that our hearts are mourning
And let the rain come in!

Stop pretending that it's not ending
And let the end begin!

It's easier than telling the truth
UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2009 10:06:31(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

First Week Chart Positions

United Kingdom: #4
United States: #2
Canada: #3
Australia & New Zealand: #2
South America: #2
Asia: #3
Europe: #4
World: #2

Ashley Perry's debut record Songs Meet Heartbeats, hit the top five in every region! Seems like the hard work Ashley put into her debut solo album over the last year has payed off. Perry has yet to comment on the success of the album.
UserPostedImage