logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Laurelles1  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2009 02:18:20(UTC)
Laurelles1

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

2009 has been a very good year for Mind. From seemingly out of nowhere, their ferocious blend of different genres of music and different influences has seen them go from obscurity to playing with huge bands such as Clear Vision. Their album Free Your Mind has been critically and commercially successful, a rarity for an extreme metal band and they state that it is that which gives them a big push. "Most extreme metal bands are fairly big underground, but never really make it. That is what Mind are aiming to do." Claims frontman Jason Smith "Although admittedly, we're getting more melodic now to make it listenable." The general mood of the band today is happy and calm as they sit themselves down and drink their tea. "Tea's good. None of that coffee shit." Says Harry. Harry looks different than usual, his hair has been put into unusual dreadlocks and dyed blonde, which the band makes jokes about often.

Hey guys. A simple question to start with, who are your main influences?

Jason: "We have influences from all throughout the field. For example, we take bits of Strapping Young Lad and blend them in with stuff that Coheed and Cambria might do. Also, we are a punk band aswell, so we take influences from such bands like Gallows and Bad Religion."

Harry: "None of the metalcore crap though. People sometimes mistake us for metalcore, but we're too heavy to be metalcore."

Aaron: "Personally, in my guitar playing, I take inspiration from power metal and folk. As if Rustey Cooley and Bob Dylan had a lovechild. I would be that lovechild. That would be fuckin' awesome actually..."

Robert: "Between the Buried and Me are the band which I constantly compare us to. We have the same combination of their stuff. Death, Prog, Hardcore... you name it."

When people look at you, you're not what they expect. What do you say to this?

Harry: "If I may...?"

Aaron: "Don't get Harry started on this. Please."

Harry: "Those people are dumbfucks really. You should never judge a book by its cover and there's no exception here. People may think we're some indie crap, but trust me. We're much more than that. We are power. We are legion."

Aaron: "Christ sake..."

Jason: "Seriously though, those people think that they;re being "tr00" fans by calling us emo or whatever, but what it does it make them look like idiots when they listen to us."

Robert: "Same thing as Jason said really. It's their own fault if they're being prejudice."

What plans are you making for next album? And what will you change from Free Your Mind?

Jason: "The next album will be more experimental and progressive than Free Your Mind"

Robert: "It's too early to tell really. Free Your Mind's just recently got off the charts."

Harry: "Yeah, we'll be blending even more styles in, such as jazz and doom. Some fans may think it's not what we usually do, but those true fans will see that it has that Mind feel to it."

Aaron: "We haven't actually developed a fell yet... but carry on."

Harry: "Yes we have. Jasons high range vocals. Your trademark technical guitar playing. My thrash style basslines and Roberts fast paced drum solos."

Aaron: "Okay then."

If you had to sum up your genre in one sentence, what would it be?

Harry: "Fucking-Awesomecore"

Jason: "In seriousness, we are an crossover thrash band."

Aaron: "Disagree. We're more of a new-prog band now."

Jason: "Nah. More metal than that."

You've seemingly come out of nowhere. How do you think you've suddenly become successful?

Robert: "Good PR, MySpace and all that shiz."

Jason: "The internet's made us, like many bands nowadays."

Harry: "Our last demo [MindBodySoul EP] contained more mainstream songs than our other ones and so people started to take interest in us."

Aaron: "Yup. Magazines like this have helped us no end aswell."

UserPostedImage

Above: Mind at Cambridge Corn Exchange

So, in conclusion, Mind are setting their sights big for their next album. If records company call, Mind could be a pretty huge band. Let's hope this works out for them.

Recommend for fans of: Between the Buried and Me, Strapping Young Lad
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2009 02:53:29(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
You like tea? Bikki will like you. Also, I wouldn't call Clear Vision HUGE - you lot are far more talented and interesting. Also, if your looking for someone to do your producing for the next album, my solo project The Schadenfreude Ecdysiast was a doom/synth blend, much like some of Burzum's stuff so if you'd like I'd be up for helping you guys out with that if your up for it. But if that's not the direction you're going, fair play.

Liam
The Lost; The Schadenfreude Ecdysiast
Offline Laurelles1  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2009 02:56:48(UTC)
Laurelles1

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
Jason: Christ dude, that'd be awesome. If you're alright with that, we'd love to.
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2009 03:04:47(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Laurelles1 wrote:
Jason: Christ dude, that'd be awesome. If you're alright with that, we'd love to.

Sure thing dude, contact me with some details etc. and I'd be happy to.

Liam
Offline Gorloche  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2009 12:48:00(UTC)
Gorloche

Yet another new progressive band! I am terribly excited after hearing you describe not only your style but your future style. Unfortunately, I've never actually picked up your album before, but I just ordered the debut off of Amazon. I'd like to produce your next album with you, if you would. I normally push for a more progressive, varied sound rather than a metal one, but if you want a balance I can see if Daniel wants in as well, given that he has dipped his fingers into the metal production area more often than I have.

Even though I have helped co-produce most of his albums and most of Herr Fische's with Chris as well.

Oh, this strange world! But you are very exciting.

- Langdon