logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Registers.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline mouj  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2010 13:40:40(UTC)
mouj

Groups: Registered
Man

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

1. Corngirl: Lead singer and second guitarist Johnny Young wrote Corngirl for a girl he met, who was feeling "kinda down". The girl had a boyfriend, but nothing serious was happening. She thought she was ugly and everyone hated her. So Young wrote the song, full of various things that might cheer her up, and played an acoustic version for her at Christmas. Since then, she "really cheered up" and Johnny decided it was a good enough song for the album and the single. The song has nice light guitar, and Young singing is light, beautiful and full of love. The song seems like a bit of a non-sequitur, but Young says it contains "lots and lots of in-jokes" and things that would make the girl in question laugh or feel happy.

2. Abduction Stories: This floaty, slightly haunting Young/Smith collaboration is the only song to survive the destruction of Gillians' old album, New Jersey. The song tells the tale of the band's apparent abduction in something that sounds like a cross-over of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Blink 182". Some of Sev Young's solo moments sound like Jimmy Page, and it's the first Gillians song to make use of synth. The song tells of various trippy, light-filled sequences, and strange world that "look like they're there, but they're not". Although not worthy for album inclusion, the song is a good, slightly strange B-Side for a Gillians album. Still doesn't convince you that they were really abducted by aliens.

3. Corngirl (Acoustic Version): The acoustic version of Corngirl is so sweet and touching it almost makes you cry. Only accompanied by a little of (Vic) Dunlop's drumming, Johnny Young and his guitar absolutely break your heart. After listening to the acoustic version, you'll feel so warm and fuzzy inside, and you feel like going and finding Corngirl, and taking her out, just as illustrated in the song.

Released in: UK, Europe, USA (minor distribution)
Produced by: Sergio di Matera/Tony Visconti
Produced in: Jellyfish Studio Liverpool
Lyrics for tracks 1 & 3 written by Johnny Young, track 2 written by Johnny Young/Bob Smith. All lyric rights reserved Johnny Young ©2009. All music rights reserved Gillians ©2009/2010
All rights reserved Young Music and The Gang Records ©2010

BUY HERE!
Keep in touch with Gillians: Click here to visit their site
Gillians / Alternative Rock
Johnny Young / Vocals & Guitar
Sev Young / Lead Guitar
Fred Johnson / Bass
Vic Dunlop / Drums

If you spell Chuck Norris in Scrabble, you win. Forever.
I like cheesecake. :D
Offline PANIC!  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2010 14:17:59(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
"I had to buy this since I'm a sucker for anything that has 'love' in it. I could relate to it from Johnny's perspective because I have met not one, but a few girls like the one he sings about in the record. I honestly have not listened to much from Gillians, but after hearing this I will defiantly be on the look for their new album, next month. Although I'm considered a douche, for not liking most of the current music out there, I could surely see myself as a big fan of Gillians in the future. Overall, it is a great single."

--.` Ryan Ross Hernandez.
UserPostedImage
Offline mouj  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2010 14:25:37(UTC)
mouj

Man

Oh, well thank you, Ryan. I've always admired your slightly different work. I like different. The album should be released by the first of February. Maybe we'll send you a free copy!
- Johnny Young [Vocalist/Guitarist // Gillians]
Gillians / Alternative Rock
Johnny Young / Vocals & Guitar
Sev Young / Lead Guitar
Fred Johnson / Bass
Vic Dunlop / Drums

If you spell Chuck Norris in Scrabble, you win. Forever.
I like cheesecake. :D