logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline genocidal king  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2010 10:01:24(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
o...k...so, I am normally a straight up death metal fan, but Im looking to get into black metal a bit more, so can anyone (Forkboy and Nimrods I looking at you here), tell me some essential black metal songs I should buy on itunes? looking for 10 to start off with.
UserPostedImage
Offline Paradox  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2010 10:12:53(UTC)
Paradox

Groups: Registered
Man

Carpathian Forest.
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline Thorgrim  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2010 10:28:52(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

I dunno about best songs, but these are some of the best black metal discs out there:

BLASPHEMY - Fallen Angel of Doom...
VON - Satanic Blood Angel
MYSTIFIER - Everything, but Goatia is the best one
BATHORY - Bathory
GRAND BELIAL'S KEY - Judeobeast Assassination (yeah, very politically incorrect, I know, but damn is it good)
LUNAR AURORA - Mond
MASTER'S HAMMER - Ritual
ROOT - Hell Symphony
NIFELHEIM - Envoy of Lucifer
SARCOFAGO - INRI
VULCANO - Bloody Vengeance
SABBAT - Envenom
Offline Gildermershina  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2010 11:01:20(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I don't like much black metal, but I have been listening to two of the more "hipster" black metal bands recently, Twilight and Wolves in the Throne Room.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline The Nimrods  
#5 Posted : 04 June 2010 13:18:52(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I can go down the line like a mofo, I'll just tell you all the "Anthems"

Satyricon-Mother North
Mayhem-Freezing Moon (I think you'd like it better with Attila so the studio version)
Dissection-The Somberlain
Burzum-Burzum/Dunkelheit (Same song, different names)
Enslaved-Isa (Not really that famous, just amazing)
Dimmu Borgir-Under Korpens Vinger ('nother personal fave)
Emperor-I am the black wizards (classic, amazing opening tremolo riff)
Darkthrone-Transylvanian Hunger (horrible production but another 'classic' their first album is DM and is probably their best album or one of them)
Immortal-Antarctica (my fave by them, the definition of amazing)
Immortal-Sons of Northern Darkness (awesome chorus)
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline Synxhard  
#6 Posted : 04 June 2010 13:38:16(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
What gildy said, Wolves are the shit. Real cool guys, close friends with a couple of them.
Offline forkboy  
#7 Posted : 05 June 2010 00:50:43(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
genocidal king wrote:
o...k...so, I am normally a straight up death metal fan, but Im looking to get into black metal a bit more, so can anyone (Forkboy and Nimrods I looking at you here), tell me some essential black metal songs I should buy on itunes? looking for 10 to start off with.

Fuck that, ALBUMS all the way. You've got to do things properly and listen to them in the context of how the artist originally wanted it to be heard man. I mean Det Som Engang Var has these songs you wouldn't listen to on their own like Han Som Reiste, but within the experience of the whole album it manages to become a hypnotic change of pace. So yeah, I'm absolutely an advocate of "albums bitch" haha.

Now, this is just my own opinion, but these are some of my favourite black metal records, though some of them straddle the line between black metal and other styles, a lot of black metal is about the atmosphere created.

My number one all time favourite b/m record is Burzum - Filosofem. Easily the best of the second wave albums, it's just got that oppressive atmosphere down to a fucking tee, and almost all modern interesting black metal groups owe their existence to this album and its predeccesor Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. I ask only this. Don't buy it. Download it. Don't give a penny to the nazi fuck :-)

Next up, well, there is Emperor, one of the true giants of the whole shebang. Ignore all the controversy (fuck, that goes without saying for all black metal groups) around Faust and Samoth, just listen eh? It's hard to pick out just the one record by Emperor, they are all pretty fucking stellar, but I'll go and recommend Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk. You can't go wrong with any of them though, get whatever the fuck you see is on sale!

Darkthrone are some what of an institution of Norwegian black metal. They started out as an uninspiring death metal band but ended up one of the most important black metal ones just for that real lo-fi sound that has been ripped off a thousand times since, at least. For pure black metal you can't go wrong with any of the trilogy of A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Under A Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger. I probably prefer Under A Funeral Moon myself, but any of them are great and most decent record stores should sell them for about £8 a shot. Then zip forward to the past decade, Darkthrone mashed black metal with crust punk and a wicked sense of humour which is well worth hearing as it is vastly different from the rest of their material. Personally, F.O.A.D. is my favourite, but Black Flags and Darkthrones and The Cult Is Alive are both grand.

So that's three Norwegian albums but to suggest that black metal has to be all Norwegian is wrong. But there's two more Norwegian groups I want to big up first, slightly more esoteric.

First you have Enslaved, formed when their lead songwriter was fucking 13 man. They've always been one of the more intelligent black metal groups, and rather focusing on the anti-Christianity and Satanism espoused by many of their peers they've focused on Norwegian mythology, without making a horrid "Viking metal" gimmick out of it. Isa from 2004 really mixes progressive rock influences with black metal into a sublime album that just hasn't gotten old.

And then there are Ulver. Who were black metal in the loosest sense in the early days and now are sort of...it's experimental music. They are still associated with black metal and so if you've got a desire for something really different then get stuck into Ulver. As they said themselves in 1999 in an exceedingly pretentious manner, "Ulver is obviously not a black metal band and does not wish to be stigmatized as such. We acknowledge the relation of part I & III of the Trilogie (Bergtatt & Nattens Madrigal) to this culture, but stress that these endeavours were written as stepping stones rather than conclusions. We are proud of our former instincts, but wish to liken our association with said genre to that of the snake with Eve. An incentive to further frolic only. If this discourages you in any way, please have the courtesy to refrain from voicing superficial remarks regarding our music and/or personae. We are as unknown to you as we always were." So I'm going to recommend Perdition City but honestly it is hard to find anything band for me among the later Ulver albums from Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell until the present day. Jazz, prog, trip-hop, drum and bass and other electronic forms of music really influenced this stuff. Blood Inside is one of those albums that really revolutionised how I listen to music, totally different to anything else I'd ever heard.

Away from Norway, we cross the border to Sweden. Shining. V - Halmstad. Miserable fucking album. Listen.

Ukraine give us Drudkh. A lovely band that owe everything to Burzum but are worth listening to on their own merits. The Swan Road and Blood in Our Wells were the first two I got into.

Romania has Negura Bunget. Newest album Vîrstele Pamîntului is one of the best albums of 2010 so far. Some kind of "folk" elements, but not in a Finntroll kind of silly way. It's dark, but at times beautiful.

The UK is kind of a black hole for interesting black metal on the whole, our most famous group being Cradle of Filth who you should avoid like the plague. So I'll suggest Anaal Nathrakh. These days they are more a mix of grindcore and industrial, their debut The Codex Necro. Submission Is For The Weak is an awesome song.

North America is pretty happening with groups like Woods of Ypres, Wolves In The Throne Room, Xasthur, Absu and plenty others are worthy of mention. Investigate any of them if you like black metal. But the one stand out in the genre to me is probably Cobalt with their album Eater of Birds one of the best black metal albums of the decade.

That should do you to start with :p
Offline forkboy  
#8 Posted : 05 September 2011 14:39:17(UTC)
forkboy

I wrote a surprisingly good post there, if I do say so myself. I hope that actually helped some what GK.

Edited by user 05 September 2011 14:40:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Captain Insano  
#9 Posted : 05 September 2011 19:00:13(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Holy necro post batman!

I'd say that for the fact that he did not reply with some sort of thanks would suggest he thought....'whats with the wall o text dude? Not reading that shit'.

Been serious for a moment, the only black metal I listen to these days is Absu and Satyricon, oh and an Aussie group called the Furor who indulge in the whole bullet belts and corpse pain thing. I used to love Cradle of Filth though you could never really call them black metal. Just a bunch of weird fuckers.
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline forkboy  
#10 Posted : 06 September 2011 08:06:02(UTC)
forkboy

Guess you are right, he didn't read it. I even emphasised all the important points in bold precisely so you didn't have to read it all :( I just wanted to help without producing a big list with no reasoning.
Offline genocidal king  
#11 Posted : 06 September 2011 08:07:23(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Oops sorry. Never saw this earlier. I'll reply when I get to my PC. Suffice to say it was a big help. Will reply shortly.
UserPostedImage
Offline Gildermershina  
#12 Posted : 06 September 2011 23:06:34(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I think I kind of like Bergraven. But again, one of those bands BM purists probably have a real hard time enjoying, or even identifying as BM.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage