logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages«<789
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mckenzie-  
#161 Posted : 10 May 2012 22:17:33(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sparks Go to Quoted Post
my brothers and i love soccer/football! we are big fans and we really watch every game there is on the tv, would love to watch it live though we never get the chance and the money to. anyway, i am torn between Manchester city and Barcelona. they are such good teams that they make every game worth watching to. it really is exciting to watch the games since you never know when a goal is gonna be made, it is so unpredictable making it super exciting!

Gloryhunter? Out of curiosity, had you even heard of Man City before 2009?

Anyway it's sad to think the the Premier League will be drawn to a close on Sunday. It's been a great season, many ups and downs. Luckily the European Championships will be on during summer! As will the MLS season which is getting better.
retired x
Offline forkboy  
#162 Posted : 10 May 2012 23:08:35(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I got the feeling by sparks posts that he/she is a spambot, but would be delighted to be proven wrong & apologise if I am wrong.

And for the record, I'm no fan of City, but I do really enjoy watching them play. Especially at the start of this season, oooooft. If only Tevez wasn't a total cunt this season wouldn't have been so close. And ever since he was at Barca I've had a soft spot for Yaya Toure, he's an exciting player to watch do his stuff. I like a good box-to-box midfielder & Yaya has to be up there with Schweinsteiger for best in the world at that "position" (well I guess type of player is a better descriptor)
Offline genocidal king  
#163 Posted : 10 May 2012 23:14:19(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
It is a spambot yeah. Just banned it for posting a link to flower sales with home delivery or some nonsense.
UserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#164 Posted : 11 May 2012 01:35:43(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mckenzie- Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: sparks Go to Quoted Post
my brothers and i love soccer/football! we are big fans and we really watch every game there is on the tv, would love to watch it live though we never get the chance and the money to. anyway, i am torn between Manchester city and Barcelona. they are such good teams that they make every game worth watching to. it really is exciting to watch the games since you never know when a goal is gonna be made, it is so unpredictable making it super exciting!

Gloryhunter? Out of curiosity, had you even heard of Man City before 2009?

Anyway it's sad to think the the Premier League will be drawn to a close on Sunday. It's been a great season, many ups and downs. Luckily the European Championships will be on during summer! As will the MLS season which is getting better.

It was actually 2008. Sorry.

Anyone who says enjoying watching Man City is gloryhunting is just mad, it's like saying I enjoy watching Roger Federer playing tennis not because he's good but just because he's Swiss. Obviously people watch him because he's good at playing tennis, as are City at playing football. I tend to find people who call people 'glory hunters' tend to either support shit teams, or teams that used to be good and now are shit, by way of not being able to buy decent players.

Anyway, I'm a blues fan so I get my fair share of gloyhunter name calling so perhaps thats why I feel so strongly about it. Well up for the Champions League Final really hope we beat Bayern would be immense if we did and Di Matteo's a legend so would be great for him. Torres to score the winner.
Offline Mckenzie-  
#165 Posted : 11 May 2012 01:57:41(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Originally Posted by: Aj Go to Quoted Post

Anyone who says enjoying watching Man City is gloryhunting is just mad, it's like saying I enjoy watching Roger Federer playing tennis not because he's good but just because he's Swiss. Obviously people watch him because he's good at playing tennis, as are City at playing football. I tend to find people who call people 'glory hunters' tend to either support shit teams, or teams that used to be good and now are shit, by way of not being able to buy decent players.

Anyway, I'm a blues fan so I get my fair share of gloyhunter name calling so perhaps thats why I feel so strongly about it. Well up for the Champions League Final really hope we beat Bayern would be immense if we did and Di Matteo's a legend so would be great for him. Torres to score the winner.

Not at all. After Chelsea got a surge of wealth, success began to take over Chelsea and they got a surge of fans. The same has happened to Man City. To be truthfully honest, I seriously dislike Man City and im an Evertonian. Which is mainly down to the way they handled the Joleon Lescott transfer saga (Which im 100% fine with now, £25million for him is more than enough). But at first they had a 12 or so million bid rejected, Everton told City he was not for sale. Back they came with around 15. Again Everton told City to back off, he was not for sale. THis went on for a few more weeks before they upset the player and team at the point of our first game where we were hammered (6-1 to Arsenal). Another bid at 20milion was tabled and rejected before Lescott handed in a transfer request at which point Everton were forced to sell for an over-inflated fee of £25million+. Don't get me wrong, we got more than enough money. But the way they went about their business was disgusting. I would love to see Real Madrid try it with Aguero and see what City's reaction would be.
Ever since Everton fans have developed a hatred toward City which makes playing them almost like a Derby game. I also don't support their new Real Madrid mentality of buying players, rather than nurturing talent from their academy.
Both Chelsea and City have a while to go before they meet Everton's success though. Over the past 4 seasons, Man City have spent over £550million in total in contrast to Evertons £46million. Only in the past 2 seasons have City finished higher than Everton. It begs the question of what we could achieve given a fraction of City's budget. Anyway, I go rant all day on the money involved in football but ill put it away for now.
retired x
Offline Aj  
#166 Posted : 11 May 2012 02:45:56(UTC)
Aj

Man

Not at all. After Chelsea got a surge of wealth, success began to take over Chelsea and they got a surge of fans. The same has happened to Man City. To be truthfully honest, I seriously dislike Man City and im an Evertonian. Which is mainly down to the way they handled the Joleon Lescott transfer saga (Which im 100% fine with now, £25million for him is more than enough). But at first they had a 12 or so million bid rejected, Everton told City he was not for sale. Back they came with around 15. Again Everton told City to back off, he was not for sale. THis went on for a few more weeks before they upset the player and team at the point of our first game where we were hammered (6-1 to Arsenal). Another bid at 20milion was tabled and rejected before Lescott handed in a transfer request at which point Everton were forced to sell for an over-inflated fee of £25million+. Don't get me wrong, we got more than enough money. But the way they went about their business was disgusting. I would love to see Real Madrid try it with Aguero and see what City's reaction would be.
Ever since Everton fans have developed a hatred toward City which makes playing them almost like a Derby game. I also don't support their new Real Madrid mentality of buying players, rather than nurturing talent from their academy.
Both Chelsea and City have a while to go before they meet Everton's success though. Over the past 4 seasons, Man City have spent over £550million in total in contrast to Evertons £46million. Only in the past 2 seasons have City finished higher than Everton. It begs the question of what we could achieve given a fraction of City's budget. Anyway, I go rant all day on the money involved in football but ill put it away for now.

But isn't the whole point of supporting a team that you support a team you enjoy watching? In this case Man City, and you enjoy watching them because they good players bought by a lot of money?
Offline Mckenzie-  
#167 Posted : 11 May 2012 03:03:03(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

But isn't the whole point of supporting a team that you support a team you enjoy watching? In this case Man City, and you enjoy watching them because they good players bought by a lot of money?

No... that is not the point of supporting a team. Supporting a team is about having a passion and love for a side. I enjoy watching Brazil, Spain, Bayern etc. I don't support them. Anyway Man City's expenditure will be cut down with the new Financial Fair Play rules being introduced soon.
retired x
Offline Rincewind  
#168 Posted : 11 May 2012 06:48:10(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
am really looking forward to the new financial rules coming into full enforcment, should make it a lot harder to just buy your way to the top..
as somone who does support a shit team (Carlisle United), i do enjoy watching a very very good game, but my favorate team this year has been Newcastle... absolutly fantastic of them to finish top five... maybe higher (who knows!)... And done with a small squad compared to the top teams... Cisse, being the standout purchase this season... 13 goals in 13 games and only 10m... absolute bargin, and proof that you really don't have to spend stupid amounts to have a quality side... Infact i think their entire team is only worth 120 million, compare that to Liverpool (205m) or Chelsea (335m) both of which have finished lower down in the table, Hell even Evertons squad is worth more (130m).. Shows what can be acomplished with a good squad mentality and a bit of luck :)

which is why im hoping they beat Everton on sunday.... sorry
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Mckenzie-  
#169 Posted : 11 May 2012 07:38:45(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Exactly. We have found a gem in Nikica Jelavic too. 5.5million for 10 goals in 13 games thus far is not too shabby! Comparing it to the 35 million flop Carroll, good business. In fact, Liverpool spent what 70 million on 3 players that have been rubbish this season (Henderson, Downing, Carroll). I think if we keep our current squad and add a little bit of quality in the summer we can be on par with Newcastle, battling for top 4.

Im hoping we beat Newcastle for one reason and one reason only... so we can finish ahead of Liverpool. That would give me great joy.
retired x
Offline forkboy  
#170 Posted : 11 May 2012 08:19:48(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I would love to see Real Madrid try it with Aguero and see what City's reaction would be.

Poor example. Kun is an Atletico hero & don't think he'd go to Real.

And yeah, you can't appreciate the good times if you haven't experienced the bad times. The bad makes it all the more sweet. That's why I pity gloryhunters (& feel good for genuine City fans for that matter, who saw their team in what's now League One), winning the league every year is not comparable to winning promotion to the top flight for the first time in your clubs history. When you expect success then it means less.
Offline Aj  
#171 Posted : 11 May 2012 08:38:07(UTC)
Aj

Man

No... that is not the point of supporting a team. Supporting a team is about having a passion and love for a side. I enjoy watching Brazil, Spain, Bayern etc. I don't support them. Anyway Man City's expenditure will be cut down with the new Financial Fair Play rules being introduced soon.

If someone has a passion for a team due to the way they play would that be wrong though? I have experienced bad(er) times with Chelsea, I'm not old enough for the really rough times but they were far off the quality they are now before Roman came in and I'd supported them a good 2-3 years before that since I was very young. I grew up with Chelsea becoming a rich team, not them being a rich team from the start. And I for one am someone who really enjoys all the transfers and gossip and things like that. Say I'm not a true football fan all you like but I think that's why I prefer football to other sports - because of the gossip and the huge signings and the cheap signings, it's all good in my opinion. And personally I must admit I was more of a supporter when we were growing under Mourinho and players were being brought in, then my support dwindled a bit as I lost interest, and since we're hit slightly less fortunate times now my supports gone right back up again. So I personally wouldn't say that people support clubs just because they have money, I think people support clubs that are successful and that play football well. which clearly helps in their passion for the side. There's a reason that the most popular sides are the more succsesful ones, and it's because they play football well. I'm from quite a shit footballing area in terms of teams that are above conferance level. My closest 'hub' for teams would be London or Brighton, but I know people from my area who support United always have and are real die-hards.

I think very often (not all the time) people who support smaller clubs tend to have a reason for it - they have family from there, are from there themselves, traditional reasons etc etc but generally have a 'reason' for supporting them. And so it means they have a bit of a grudge against people who DON'T have a reason for supporting their club and do simply because they have a passion for the way they play football. When really, a lot of people just don't have a reason because maybe there not from a big footballing area or have families that aren't really interested.

Supporting a football club is a weird thing, but I think at the end of the day there are two categories - People who are 'born into' supporting a club, and people who support a club because they've chosen too. And it's just more obvious for people to choose clubs who play attractive football because at the end of the day it's exactly that - attractive football.
Offline Mckenzie-  
#172 Posted : 11 May 2012 08:55:15(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

If someone has a passion for a team due to the way they play would that be wrong though? I have experienced bad(er) times with Chelsea, I'm not old enough for the really rough times but they were far off the quality they are now before Roman came in and I'd supported them a good 2-3 years before that since I was very young. I grew up with Chelsea becoming a rich team, not them being a rich team from the start. And I for one am someone who really enjoys all the transfers and gossip and things like that. Say I'm not a true football fan all you like but I think that's why I prefer football to other sports - because of the gossip and the huge signings and the cheap signings, it's all good in my opinion. And personally I must admit I was more of a supporter when we were growing under Mourinho and players were being brought in, then my support dwindled a bit as I lost interest, and since we're hit slightly less fortunate times now my supports gone right back up again. So I personally wouldn't say that people support clubs just because they have money, I think people support clubs that are successful and that play football well. which clearly helps in their passion for the side. There's a reason that the most popular sides are the more succsesful ones, and it's because they play football well. I'm from quite a shit footballing area in terms of teams that are above conferance level. My closest 'hub' for teams would be London or Brighton, but I know people from my area who support United always have and are real die-hards.

I think very often (not all the time) people who support smaller clubs tend to have a reason for it - they have family from there, are from there themselves, traditional reasons etc etc but generally have a 'reason' for supporting them. And so it means they have a bit of a grudge against people who DON'T have a reason for supporting their club and do simply because they have a passion for the way they play football. When really, a lot of people just don't have a reason because maybe there not from a big footballing area or have families that aren't really interested.

Supporting a football club is a weird thing, but I think at the end of the day there are two categories - People who are 'born into' supporting a club, and people who support a club because they've chosen too. And it's just more obvious for people to choose clubs who play attractive football because at the end of the day it's exactly that - attractive football.

Don't get the wrong idea, I wasn't calling you a gloryhunter. I was referring to many of Man City and Chelsea's new followers. But as forkboy said, supporting a club is going through the ups and downs, not just the ups.
My Dad is originally from Liverpool and I lived there when I was very young. WE have since moved. Our following has always been Everton. Although alot of my other family (cousins etc) have been reds. In Liverpool you support either Liverpool or Everton. No other side. To be honest Liverpool would have a majority of Evertonians just like Manchester would have much more City fans than Utd.
I enjoy watching Madrid and co. but my allegiance always lies with Everton.
retired x