logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Nimrods  
#1 Posted : 26 August 2010 02:03:35(UTC)
The Nimrods

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I figure with the UEFA Champions League going on as well as the English Premier League and La Liga about to start that I should make a football thread. What's your favorite club,position, player, league, whatever.

Personally my favorite league is La Liga from Spain which actually starts today I believe. My favorite club team is Barcelona F.C. which has several of my favorite players and with David Villa on the squad now I feel they'll be unstoppable. I don't have a favorite player overall because I feel every position is integral so I can't really choose an overall favorite so I have a favorite for each position.

My favorite keeper is Vincent Enyeama of Nigeria and Hapoel Tel Aviv (I'm watching them play right now actually). Even though their are definitely better I think he's quite fantastic, a top notch shot stopper, and versatile (he's used for penalty kicks as keeper and a kick taker) not to mention he's very entertaining to watch and I rarely see see people stop Messi like he did in the word cup.

My favorite defender is Carlos Puyol of Spain and Barcelona. He's aggressive and apparently a very cool guy. He simply gets the job done very well and stops the ball from getting to Casillas.

My favorite Midfielder is hard because there are attacking and defending midfielders and wingers are midfielders too. Therefore I have several favorites depending on their role. Xavi is a favorite because he's a good playmaker and his ball skills are amazing. He's quick and is great at getting the ball to a forward or winger to set up goals ie his work with Messi and Villa. My favorite winger is definitely Messi who's simply amazing with Barcelona. He's unselfish (he set up most of Argentina's goals in the world cup) his ball control is amazing when it comes to sprinting, and his dribbling is also great. Another favorite, though retired, is Zidane, I find his skills as a dribbler amazing as well as is free kicks.Another favorite is Ronaldinho who's just really fun to watch and the 2 times he's scored on a bicycle kick were fantastic. He's also insanely fast and I'm disappointed that he wasn't on the Brazillian national team.

My favorite striker is without a doubt Thierry Henry. He's amazingly fast, a great free kicker (usually) and was virtually unstoppable on Arsenal who are my favorite Premier League team. His dribbling is pretty good too and he'll make MLS a little less embarrassing to watch. Another favorite striker is David Villa who makes beautiful goals, a few really difficult to make such as one he scored while sliding a good 20 meters from the goal.Diego Forlan is a favorite too because he's got an insane kick and is really good at carrying his team liek he did with Uruguay.

I of course have other favored teams and players such as Gigi Buffon, Iker Casillas, Ronaldo, Diego Maradona, Zlatan Ibramhovic, Chelsea, A.C. Milan, Real Madrid,Juventus, and the Corinthians.

Edited by user 26 August 2010 02:22:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline forkboy  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2010 02:11:30(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I'm a terrible football fan. The last game I actually went to was...probably August 2006, and I remember it well, Ross County vs Dumbarton in the second round of the Challenge Cup. I really need to sort that out and at least go to watch them when they play against Partick Thistle here in Glasgow. But my football interest these days basically goes forward to listening to live coverage of games on Saturday afternoon on Radio Scotland, and shooting the shit on a couple of football forums about my two teams, the local one I grew up with as a kid Ross County, and the one I started watching on TV, Parma from Serie A.

Being a Parma fan is fucking torturous at the best of times.

Also, as a Parma fan I would just like to say fuck Gigi Buffon. Fucking fascist sympathiser. And worse, Juvemerda scum with no respect for his hometown side who gave him his breakthrough. Luca Bucci and Claudio Taffarel are both twice the human beings that Gigi is, and almost as good in goal.

Edited by user 26 August 2010 02:35:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2010 03:40:56(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8588 time(s) in 2691 post(s)
I'm a little bit of a football fan, I don't obsessively support any particular team but when asked what team I support I always say West Ham, No particular reason I've just always supported them for no reason at all, Like I say though I don't obsessively support any team, you won't find me at Upton Park on a Saturday but I like to keep up with the results, If your thinking are West Ham good? the answer is pretty much no, they've had a terrible start to the season but I'm not too bothered.
I actually like to keep up to date with the MLS and the team I support in the MLS is New York Red Bulls, (Before Thierry Henry and Rafael Marquez) so I'm not jumping on the bandwagon.
Anyway, I don't have a favourite player, I do however have a life.
Offline Laurelles1  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2010 03:52:35(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
I do love football. I've been a Chelsea fan since I've ever known, but people STILL think I'm a glory hunter. In La Liga, it's Sevilla and in Serie A it's AC Milan, but they're for no particular reason. Their kits are more fashionable, probably.
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Rincewind  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2010 06:59:49(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
if you support any one of half the top premier league teams nowadays you could be called a glory supporter... based on the amount of money thats flooding into it....

Give me Carlisle United any day, we're shite and we know it!
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Raphaela  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2010 13:46:45(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
CORINTHIANS?! We're not friends anymore.
Hahah, just kidding.
I have some interest in soccer, but I don't really care to watch the matches, just when I'm bored and happens to be a match on TV. World cup is pretty much the only time I stop my life a bit to watch some.
Some years ago I had an obsession with Palmeiras, but it kind of wore off. Had my Manchester United moments too, but I guess that's pretty much it.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline The Nimrods  
#7 Posted : 26 August 2010 13:49:59(UTC)
The Nimrods

Raphaela wrote:
Hahah, just kidding.
I have some interest in soccer, but I don't really care to watch the matches, just when I'm bored and happens to be a match on TV. World cup is pretty much the only time I stop my life a bit to watch some.
Some years ago I had an obsession with Palmeiras, but it kind of wore off. Had my Manchester United moments too, but I guess that's pretty much it.

MAN U ARE SOME BITCHES! Well that's my Arsenal coming out lol. You don't support the Corinthians and they're from where you're from WTF
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline forkboy  
#8 Posted : 26 August 2010 20:47:57(UTC)
forkboy

The Nimrods wrote:
Raphaela wrote:
Hahah, just kidding.

MAN U ARE SOME BITCHES! Well that's my Arsenal coming out lol. You don't support the Corinthians and they're from where you're from WTF

To be fair, the major Brazilian cities all have multiple "big" sides, like London or Birmingham or Milan or Madrid. In São Paulo you have São Paulo FC, Corinthians and Palmeiras (and some minor ones). In Rio you have América Football Club, Botafogo, Fluminense, Vasco da Gama and Flamengo.
Offline Captain Insano  
#9 Posted : 26 August 2010 21:43:12(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I have what amounts to a passing interest in soccer. I used to have a strong interest in the game and would watch the weekly EPL show on SBS here and catch the odd game. Nowadays I'll keep an eye on the fortunes of local A-League club Perth Glory and to see how one time Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler will play in his twilight years. I also keep an eye on Liverpool and their perpetual failures in the EPL. Yet for the most part I find the game to be a colossal bore particulary if cricket and Aussie Rules are vying for my attention.

Edited by user 26 August 2010 21:43:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline forkboy  
#10 Posted : 26 August 2010 22:16:42(UTC)
forkboy

Jesus, cricket? At least a fitbaw games only 2 hours, not 5 bloody days!
Offline Captain Insano  
#11 Posted : 26 August 2010 22:53:57(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Yea of little attention span...20/20 would probably be more your speed if you can only hold out a couple of hours.

Edited by user 26 August 2010 22:54:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline C4AJoh  
#12 Posted : 28 August 2010 21:55:21(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8588 time(s) in 2691 post(s)
If I was a massive West Ham fan then I'd be shitting myself today.
Offline The Nimrods  
#13 Posted : 13 March 2011 09:15:18(UTC)
The Nimrods

This thread is old but it seemed worth resurrecting so 'll give an update of my football life.

First off my favorite team has shifted from Barca to Arsenal in the last few months, though Barca is still a favorite. I'm just really enjoying how the Gunners are playing (usually, fucking Carling Cup/FA/Champions League). I've also grown fond of a good deal of their players (I already liked Fabregas and Walcott a lot) Nasri, Wilshere, Chamakh, Szczesny, and Djourou seriously do a good job. Though I think Nasri should be scoring quite a bit more than he does. Szczesny is fantastic so it really sucks that he dislocated his finger because I like several Arsenal fans HATE Almunia. Arsenal may have had some slumps this season, but next season is bound to be excellent. We've got a new signing from Japan name Ryo Miyaichi who plays on the wing and plays like a combination of Messi and a younger Nasri. His vision isn't the best yet and he plays selfishly occasionally but he might be even faster than Walcott and his runs remind me of Messi. The gunners are also setting their eyes on Eden Hazaard who for those who don't know plays in Ligue 1 in France and also plays like Messi/Ronaldo. If they actually do sign him next year (he extended his contract) then him and Ryo (who plays in The Netherlands right now and is nickmaned Ryodinho) will dominate on the wings together.

Now that that huge chunk is done, my favorite players have expanded greatly. As I'm sure Forkboy might agree, Andrea Pirlo is one of the best players to ever play and if he wasn't injured I'm sure Milan would have scored at least once against Tottenham in the Champs. League. I've been paying more attention to Serie A so I'm really enjoying the playing of Edison Cavani (if he gets to play for Uruguay they might as well win the next world cup) as well as Javier Pastore who I've liked since the WC.

Once again in England I've jumped on the Berbatov bandwagon but he's grown way to inconsistent and I'm waiting for him to finally score his 20th league goal already.

I don't pay much attention to the Brazillian Serie A anymore and Ronaldo retiring made me pay even less attention. However, with Ronaldinho moved to Flamengo I just might watch him play (he's actually playing better).

That's bout it I guess, who's paying attention to the Prem, what's your favorite team, etc.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline Mt. Epic  
#14 Posted : 13 March 2011 13:37:44(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I'm more of a rugby and tennis fan, but if anything I'd support Manchester or Wigan
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline The Nimrods  
#15 Posted : 13 March 2011 22:59:29(UTC)
The Nimrods

Mt. Epic wrote:
I'm more of a rugby and tennis fan, but if anything I'd support Manchester or Wigan

Which Manchester lol

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline Mt. Epic  
#16 Posted : 14 March 2011 05:45:57(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
The Nimrods wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:

Which Manchester lol

FC? idk, shows how terrible of a fan I am lol
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline The Nimrods  
#17 Posted : 14 March 2011 06:08:01(UTC)
The Nimrods

Mt. Epic wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
Mt. Epic wrote:

Which Manchester lol

FC? idk, shows how terrible of a fan I am lol

Oh haha, there's Man City and Man United

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline Matticus  
#18 Posted : 14 March 2011 08:25:18(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Was thanked: 1328 time(s) in 705 post(s)
I am an ex-season ticket holder at Derby County. I watched them for around 4 years and then my life became to busy and I didn't have the time to go to the matches anymore. I live around an hour away and would normally have a rugby match on the Saturday morning and I would have to leave 2 hours before the match started to get there on time - so that's why I stopped going.
But they just play such shit football :/ I mean 11 points in a season takes bad to a whole new level...
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)
Offline The Nimrods  
#19 Posted : 14 March 2011 08:27:26(UTC)
The Nimrods

That really does take bad to another level that's 3 wins and 2 draws, and then a billion losses lol.
But I can't mock you, I live in America and MLS is just downright awful even with Becks and Henry

Edited by user 14 March 2011 08:27:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline Matticus  
#20 Posted : 14 March 2011 08:52:03(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Was thanked: 1328 time(s) in 705 post(s)
The Nimrods wrote:
That really does take bad to another level that's 3 wins and 2 draws, and then a billion losses lol.
But I can't mock you, I live in America and MLS is just downright awful even with Becks and Henry

Oh I wish it was 3 wins... 1 win and 8 draws... Beat Newcastle United 1-0, Kenny Miller. Fantastic strike, goal on his debut.
Lol, unlucky ;)
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)