logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Raphaela  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2011 15:55:55(UTC)
Raphaela

Groups: Registered
Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
I may have opened a thread like this a long time ago, but now I'm actually having one and I have a few doubts to ask people here that already have tattoos :)
1. My tattoo will be on my right calf, on a scale from 1 to 10, how's the pain? (Bear in mind that is a full colored tattoo).
2. I have to admit I'm terrified of needles. When I have to do a blood test I pass out if I don't eat anything salty right after the needle is taken from my body. Is there a chance I will pass out? I think passing out with needles has more to do with the fact that all blood tests I did I couldn't eat anything 12 hours before. But I'm taking salt with me just to be sure.
3. I was reading about the tattoo infecting, is it frequent or just something that happens rarely?
4. Will I be able to walk a fair amount afterwards? :p
5. I thought of smoking a bit of weed before going, to relax me a little. Good or bad idea?
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline xNightsidex  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2011 20:04:24(UTC)
xNightsidex

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Everyone has different pain thresholds, but calf is an area with a lot of muscle and tissue so you might find it does sting a bit, but the pain isn't unbearable by any means, and after a while your body will kick in and start numbing the pain a little as it goes, but it depends how detailed the work you're having done is. It only really starts to ache if they go over bits multiple times with shading, colour, etc. Walking might feel a bit awkward but you should be okay.

Infection isn't much of a worry so long as you maintain good aftercare, keep it moisturised, don't let it get dirty and clean it, and keep it out of the sun. A little bit of my bird got infected but it just made the healing process slower as opposed to anything bad happening.

Best advice is take something you can eat which is high sugar content for energy, and it's important you don't go on an empty stomach because that can increase the risk of you passing out or it feeling worse. If the piece is big enough, they usually let you take breaks here to eat or drink something in the middle of it. So long as your glucose levels are high enough before and after, you'll be fine I reckon.

As for weed, doesn't help nor hinder really other than personal peace of mind, just don't turn up drunk or coming down from a hangover because your blood is less viscose if your body is dealing with processing alcohol.

Edited by user 23 July 2011 20:05:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked xNightsidex for this useful post.
Raphaela on 24/07/2011(UTC)
Offline Raphaela  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2011 01:41:38(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

The session will last about one hour and a half, so I guess I'll be fine with only a chocolate bar on my stomach. I may smoke weed only to make me able to eat it (I'm doing the tattoo early in the morning, and I have morning sickness every day). I will take salt and another chocolate bar if I feel like eating or feel bad in the middle.
About the rest, thanks a lot Lewis, it's made me feel more relaxed now. Some people told me having a tat is like having someone cutting your body with an unsharpened knife.
I own:

Offline forkboy  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2011 06:34:03(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I don't have tattoos (as I've gotten older I've gone from "I'd get one if I could think of anything interesting enough" to "man, almost everyone has tattoos now. And they almost all look awful") but I have loads of friends with tattoos. Infact was talking to a couple about this last night & the conclusion was that they should really up the legal age limit for tattoos to 25 because 18 year olds who get a tattoo become 28 & end up wanting it covered up with something else.

So with out trying to rain on your parade I would say take your time & don't rush into it. Think about it long & hard. You don't really want to have to go get another tattoo over it in 5-6 years time, I'd hope.
Offline Rincewind  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2011 07:11:38(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
I don't have tattoos (as I've gotten older I've gone from "I'd get one if I could think of anything interesting enough" to "man, almost everyone has tattoos now. And they almost all look awful") but I have loads of friends with tattoos. Infact was talking to a couple about this last night & the conclusion was that they should really up the legal age limit for tattoos to 25 because 18 year olds who get a tattoo become 28 & end up wanting it covered up with something else.

So with out trying to rain on your parade I would say take your time & don't rush into it. Think about it long & hard. You don't really want to have to go get another tattoo over it in 5-6 years time, I'd hope.

as someone who got a tattoo at the age of 18..... this

i'm now 27 and think the one i got was wrong... but i do know what i want now :)
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Raphaela  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2011 09:31:41(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Well, I can say I've carefully thought of the right tattoo and the right place for it. I'm having a green iguana. Why?
Because it means a lot to me. I'm not doing it just because I find it a cool drawning. First, it represents the career path I want to follow, as an herpetologist, and second I want to tattoo all animals I work on my life and I started working with iguanas.
And the calf is good because whenever I have to go somewhere I can't show it or a day I'm tired of it, all I have to do is wear pants :p
I own:

Offline The Nimrods  
#7 Posted : 28 July 2011 08:36:34(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I'd say don't rush into it/don't get anything too big. I used to want basically my whole upper body tatted, then I realized two things;
1.I'm too dark for any colored tattoo to really show up (besides the point)
2. I don't want to be all tatted up when I'm old as fuck because that's gross.

So just take things into consideration.
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline erich hess  
#8 Posted : 29 July 2011 00:08:05(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17941 time(s) in 10428 post(s)
As far as the pain goes,i'd liken it to a sunburn. If they hurt like hell,nobody would get them. I find the worst part to be the itching when its healing.it itches like crazy!

I got 5.the only one i would say actually hurt was the one i did myself.mainly due to the equipment used,though.guitar strings dont sharpen that well. No, i wasnt a stupid kid when i did it.i was well into adulthood. I wanted my own art on my body,that i put there.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline Aj  
#9 Posted : 29 July 2011 01:56:21(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
As far as the pain goes,i'd liken it to a sunburn. If they hurt like hell,nobody would get them. I find the worst part to be the itching when its healing.it itches like crazy!

I got 5.the only one i would say actually hurt was the one i did myself.mainly due to the equipment used,though.guitar strings dont sharpen that well. No, i wasnt a stupid kid when i did it.i was well into adulthood. I wanted my own art on my body,that i put there.

You're so freakin hardcore man.
Offline erich hess  
#10 Posted : 29 July 2011 04:35:02(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17941 time(s) in 10428 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Aj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post

You're so freakin hardcore man.

I hope your being sarcastic,because thats how im reading it.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.