logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mt. Epic  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2011 09:43:25(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I know this thread will only pertain to Americans, but hell, you Brits will just have to sit out :P

For the first time in several years, I'm excited about this year's season. The Milwaukee Brewers are looking sharp, not only in our well-famed offense, but our pitching has improved dramatically this season, after finishing nearly in last place in team ERA. Our division is pretty tight right now, with St Louis, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati catching up. But I have a feeling this year is different. For the first time ever, I am absolutely in love with the Brewers. They have really balanced out their weak spots well, and turned them into strong points.

I know I'm rambling on about my team, but I want to hear about your predictions and thoughts on who will be the big winners this season.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline genocidal king  
#2 Posted : 02 August 2011 10:37:40(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
We do have satellite TV here, and thus, baseball is on TV here every day of the week :p. I know many Brits who love it. That being said, it's not my sport. I love ice hockey and American football, but baseball leaves me cold :p
UserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2011 12:03:47(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Baseball is up there with golf, test match cricket & darts for most terrible spectator sport. Oh god how it goes on forever.
Offline Mt. Epic  
#4 Posted : 02 August 2011 13:55:47(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
Baseball is up there with golf, test match cricket & darts for most terrible spectator sport. Oh god how it goes on forever.

You obviously have never played/watched a full game before. It's not necessarily the actual action that gets people going. It's the culture it has built around. All of the nicknames, the feeling in the atmosphere, and the statistics, all of the juicy, 162 games-worth of statistics...Oh, and trades. And managing 25-team rosters. Seeing gets optioned to the minor league affiliates. The anticipations for big plays. The sound and feeling of a power hit becoming into a home run. It's all about being there.

I agree that golf is boring to watch though. Just some cunt with a stick hitting pebble shapes into holes.
UserPostedImage

Offline forkboy  
#5 Posted : 02 August 2011 14:25:06(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: Mt. Epic Go to Quoted Post

You obviously have never played/watched a full game before. It's not necessarily the actual action that gets people going. It's the culture it has built around. All of the nicknames, the feeling in the atmosphere, and the statistics, all of the juicy, 162 games-worth of statistics...Oh, and trades. And managing 25-team rosters. Seeing gets optioned to the minor league affiliates. The anticipations for big plays. The sound and feeling of a power hit becoming into a home run. It's all about being there.

I agree that golf is boring to watch though. Just some cunt with a stick hitting pebble shapes into holes.

Well, playing is irrelevant considering I said it was a terrible spectator sport. And yeah, I've watched more than 1 game. Which usually finish at 4 or 5am in the UK. The only stats I care about are the ones that get my fantasy football team points. TDs scored, & yards rushed.
Offline Mt. Epic  
#6 Posted : 02 August 2011 15:34:08(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Well, playing is irrelevant considering I said it was a terrible spectator sport. And yeah, I've watched more than 1 game. Which usually finish at 4 or 5am in the UK. The only stats I care about are the ones that get my fantasy football team points. TDs scored, & yards rushed.

meh, football stats aren't as interested because it's a true team effort. If the receivers can't catch, the qb isn't gonna improve his rating. Plus, the whole sport is pretty "cute" in its formatting. 16 games a season, 32 teams in total: 2 conferences of 16 teams, each made up of 4 4-team divisions. It's a little too well-planned out.

In baseball, all the players go for their own multiple stats, both offensively and defensively. There's different roles and positions that all have their own respect. You aren't gonna be a huge star for being a left guard sadly. Plus, in baseball, players go on the field throughout the game, rather in football they got people taking turns with offense and defense, with most people only looking at the quarterback, the running back with the ball occasionally, or the receiver trying to catch it.
UserPostedImage

Offline DistortedAudio  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2011 23:48:18(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)

meh, football stats aren't as interested because it's a true team effort. If the receivers can't catch, the qb isn't gonna improve his rating. Plus, the whole sport is pretty "cute" in its formatting. 16 games a season, 32 teams in total: 2 conferences of 16 teams, each made up of 4 4-team divisions. It's a little too well-planned out.

That's what makes Football (American) that much better. The true team effort means that you have to have more chemistry than say a Pitcher and a First-Baseman. Do I enjoy baseball at times? Yes but usually I don't. I can respect it but it's a strange sport because of the fact that it's a team effort where individual players do more work than others. On a football team, every player needs to work in order for a play to successfully run, if the lineman goes down, then the Quarterback will most likely get sacked or yards will be lost in all.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Mt. Epic  
#8 Posted : 05 August 2011 16:24:19(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post

That's what makes Football (American) that much better. The true team effort means that you have to have more chemistry than say a Pitcher and a First-Baseman. Do I enjoy baseball at times? Yes but usually I don't. I can respect it but it's a strange sport because of the fact that it's a team effort where individual players do more work than others. On a football team, every player needs to work in order for a play to successfully run, if the lineman goes down, then the Quarterback will most likely get sacked or yards will be lost in all.

Yeah, that's why I love football as well. It's a true team effort with tactics involved. But I still prefer baseball because of the feeling of the sport. I dunno, I guess it's just personal preference. I guess I simply like more individuality among players. I like having multiple aspects to a sport. There's just so much more variety in it also. You can pitch. You can be out running in the back for balls. You can make grounders and plays. You can be the pitcher's closest friend on the field and be the catcher. Everybody gets to get a chance to bat. And you have 162 games to get your final tally in, while in football, you play 16 games a season, and are assigned a single position, and only play that one spot. You only come out for half the game, because offensive players and defensive players are different. It's like being a factory worker. Your entire career is a single motion, putting in one part.
UserPostedImage

Offline Mt. Epic  
#9 Posted : 16 August 2011 05:27:34(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Brewers def gonna make playoffs
UserPostedImage

Offline DistortedAudio  
#10 Posted : 20 August 2011 16:13:10(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
I finally realized one of the cardinal reasons I hate hate hate baseball. It has the most POINTLESS DRAFT SYSTEM EVER. The reason I like baseball, is mainly because of the multitude of sim games and how well they handle the minor league system but with sports like the NFL and the NBA, the drafts and Offseason are one of the biggest parts of the sport. Maybe it's because both the NFL and NBA have much stronger NCAA programs but with Baseball, when the offseason comes it just feels like everyone says: "Well fuck, we're basically playing again in like 2 weeks so lets just chill."

That brings on another complaint I frequently have with people. The MLB has much too long a season for a sport that takes such a long amount of time to play. The NBA season has about half the amount of games, then I was talking with my dad and we both thought Hockey had a number of games close to the MLB and we remembered why that worked. The fights. Now hear me out, I don't want anybody dead or anything but if someone was to throw a pitch straight into A-Rod or Jeter's face and a fight *happened* to break out every other game, I wouldn't be complaining.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#11 Posted : 21 August 2011 10:46:13(UTC)
forkboy

Yeah, number of games in a MLB season is insane.
Offline Mt. Epic  
#12 Posted : 28 August 2011 15:15:23(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
I finally realized one of the cardinal reasons I hate hate hate baseball. It has the most POINTLESS DRAFT SYSTEM EVER. The reason I like baseball, is mainly because of the multitude of sim games and how well they handle the minor league system but with sports like the NFL and the NBA, the drafts and Offseason are one of the biggest parts of the sport. Maybe it's because both the NFL and NBA have much stronger NCAA programs but with Baseball, when the offseason comes it just feels like everyone says: "Well fuck, we're basically playing again in like 2 weeks so lets just chill."

That brings on another complaint I frequently have with people. The MLB has much too long a season for a sport that takes such a long amount of time to play. The NBA season has about half the amount of games, then I was talking with my dad and we both thought Hockey had a number of games close to the MLB and we remembered why that worked. The fights. Now hear me out, I don't want anybody dead or anything but if someone was to throw a pitch straight into A-Rod or Jeter's face and a fight *happened* to break out every other game, I wouldn't be complaining.

I agree, the baseball drafts are pretty shitty. And their isn't "a" draft either, and they're all happening throughout the year, and there are a bazillion leagues out there, that all relate to the MLB, it's ridiculous, but that's part of the fun. Managing a baseball franchise would be more fun than a football, basketball, hockey, or any other franchise, at least for me, because baseball has a lot more elements to it. Each player is different. There are the power hitters, the power pitchers, the closers, the ace starting pitchers, the base-runners, the primarily defensive players, the primarily offensive players, etc. Each team's roster can only have a maximum 25 players, so you get the minor leagues to send down players you don't want to play on the main team, and STILL the minor league teams also have a maximum 25 players. Each franchise has about 4 minor league teams, excluding the rookie leagues. It's just more exciting. The stats and the different roles each player has makes it more interesting to follow.
UserPostedImage

Offline Mt. Epic  
#13 Posted : 02 October 2011 03:05:52(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

MLB Playoffs
UserPostedImage

Offline Mt. Epic  
#14 Posted : 29 October 2011 13:21:09(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Fuckin' Cardinals
UserPostedImage

Offline asdf  
#15 Posted : 29 October 2011 14:02:01(UTC)
asdf

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Haha, me home team are the World Series Champions. Death to all others!
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline PANIC!  
#16 Posted : 29 October 2011 14:33:48(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Probably one of the best series I've seen in my lifetime. I'm a Red Sox fan, so I'm not particularly a fan of either St Louis or Texas, but after the Cards put on a show in Game 6, I felt they really deserved to take this one.
UserPostedImage