logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#21 Posted : 13 September 2011 10:46:31(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
The whole point here is that we lost thousands of lives. No matter what happened, people should shut up about their stupid conspiracy theories and just honor the firefighter and the people who lost their lives due to 9/11.

Edited by user 13 September 2011 10:47:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rincewind  
#22 Posted : 13 September 2011 17:02:16(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
2,996 people died on 11/9 including the hijackers, including 372 forign workers.
America's reaction to 11/9 in the middle east has so far killed around about 753,399 men, women and children.

thats 251 people for every victim of 11/9..... and counting.

oh and i used a low body count and not the high one...
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#23 Posted : 13 September 2011 19:20:06(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mckenzie- Go to Quoted Post
Ive never said i believed the conspiracy of it all, im just looking for opinions. It does sound very strange and sketchy but maybe, this is just the type of president Bush was.

On the note of people conning to bring it up. I think it warrant's it. As someone posted, if you look at the amount of families/people directly affected by those attacks whether it be a loss of family member, a police officer/firefighter/paramedic on duty which will still be haunted by the scenes etc. We need to remember the brave souls that we're present that day and the thousands of lives that could have been prevented.

I think Bush took great action in all of this. Honestly, there is almost no better way to handle the situation, if your country is being attacked, especially not just in one state.
Offline Mouschi  
#24 Posted : 13 September 2011 20:24:17(UTC)
Mouschi

Woman

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Warning, I'm going to go off on one. And this is going to sound a bit mean, probably.

Yes, it could have been prevented (more solid building structures for example), but it wasn't. It was sad, very sad - but it's been 10 years. America used this as an excuse to kill many more innocent people. Fighting back at all does not make America the heroes, it makes them just as bad. If anyone supported the war or came out with hatred against another race, country or religious group, you could say "nine eleven" and it was suddenly justified. Over here, one couldn't say that one hates Asians because of 7/7, if someone said that they'd just be accused of racism, full stop. Also over here, you don't see us crying about the more recent 7/7 attacks on its anniversary, or associate "seven seven" with death and disaster. How long will it have to be before the USA sees 11/9 as just a date on the calendar and not a lame excuse for war and nationalism? 10 years apparently isn't enough; will 20, 50, 100 years be enough?

So quit your wars, quit your nationalism and stop sobbing over an incident 10 years ago. (If you had a family member or friend killed in 11/9, you have the right to cry on the anniversary just as if they died any other way, that's completely different. But as a whole country, it's ridiculous.)

(EDIT : After posting, I am aware that this sounded nationalistic and anti-American. This was not my intention. I'm not directing this at all Americans, just the ones who supported the war and cry over 11/9 when nobody they know died in it. And I'm sure there are some English people who still mourn 7/7, it's just not something you hear often. Sorry.)

Edited by user 13 September 2011 20:37:22(UTC)  | Reason: i'm a bitch

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ooc info : debikzification
rp sites : bik.ki | dtbotb5 signups open! | official-g2l.com
kateverse rp : kateoffyourcolours 26/10 | danhellyeah 25/10
thanks 3 users thanked Mouschi for this useful post.
Rincewind on 13/09/2011(UTC), infinite135 on 13/09/2011(UTC), Marksy on 14/09/2011(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#25 Posted : 13 September 2011 20:37:26(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
We got attacked. Were we supposed to sit back and not do anything? We could sit here all day long and say It could've been prevented but It wasn't and It happened. That war had been brewing before that even happened, it was just the last button that was pushed to start it. I don't like the war and lost many friends because of it but not everyone is going to see eye to eye no matter how much we want people to.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

Offline Mouschi  
#26 Posted : 13 September 2011 20:57:40(UTC)
Mouschi

Woman

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 55 post(s)
I'm not condoning the terrorist attacks from either side, or from my own country. But that's what happened. It could have been prevented. You could go back a few pages on the calendar and ask, "Could the war have been prevented?" Yes, it could have been. But it wasn't. What I hate is the American response to "nine eleven". Maybe I'd feel different if I was American, I don't know, but from here, it just makes sense to concentrate on building a new WTC and upping your defences rather than using it as an excuse for racism, nationalism and a higher body count.

Edited by user 13 September 2011 20:58:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ooc info : debikzification
rp sites : bik.ki | dtbotb5 signups open! | official-g2l.com
kateverse rp : kateoffyourcolours 26/10 | danhellyeah 25/10
Offline Rincewind  
#27 Posted : 13 September 2011 21:01:16(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

bugger 7/7
what about
* 1990 16 May: Wembley IRA detonate a bomb underneath a minibus
* 1990 1 June: Lichfield City railway station 1 soldier is killed and 2 are injured in a shooting by the Provisional Irish Republican Army
* 1990 20 July: The IRA detonate a bomb at the London Stock Exchange causing damage to the building.
* 1990 30 July: Ian Gow MP killed by a car bomb planted by the IRA while at his home in Sussex.
* 1991 7 February: The IRA launched three mortar shells at the rear garden of 10 Downing Street.
* 1991 18 February: A bomb explodes at Victoria Station.
* 1992 28 February 1992: A bomb explodes at London Bridge station
* 1992 10 April: Baltic Exchange bombing: A large bomb explodes in St Mary Axe in the City of London.
* 1992 25 August: The IRA plant three fire bombs in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Bombs were placed in Shoplatch, The Charles Darwin Centre and Shrewsbury Castle.
* 1992 12 October: A device explodes in the gents' toilet of the Sussex Arms public house in Covent Garden.
* 1992 16 November: IRA plants a bomb at the Canary Wharf, but is spotted by security guards
* 1992 3 December: The IRA exploded two bombs in central Manchester
* 1993 20 March: Warrington bomb attacks.
* 1993 24 April: IRA detonate a huge truck bomb in the City of London at Bishopsgate
* 1996 9 February 1996: The IRA bombs the South Quay area of London
* 1996 15 June: The Manchester bombing when the IRA detonated a 1500 kg bomb in the Arndale shopping centre
* 1996 15 February: A 5 lb bomb placed in a telephone box is disarmed by Police on the Charing Cross Road.
* 1996 18 February: An improvised high explosive device detonates prematurely on a bus travelling along Aldwych in central London
* 1997 March: The IRA exploded two bombs in relay boxes near Wilmslow railway station
* 1999 17 April, 24 April, 30 April: David Copeland set off three nail bombs in London targeting the black, Bangladeshi and gay communities respectively.

# 2000 1 June: Real IRA bomb explodes on Hammersmith Bridge, London
# 2000 20 September: Real IRA fired a RPG at the MI6 HQ in London SIS Building
# 2001 4 March: The Real IRA detonate a car bomb outside the BBC's main news centre in London.
# 2001 16 April: Hendon post office bombed by the Real IRA.
# 2001 6 May: The Real IRA detonate a bomb in a London postal sorting office.
# 2001 3 August: A Real IRA Bomb in Britain explodes in Ealing, West London.
# 2001 4 November: Real IRA car bomb explodes in Birmingham

and thats just in the last twenty years....

i left out the london underground and bus bombings as well as the glasgow airport attack as they were recent events and i don't think i needed to remind people about them.

Edited by user 13 September 2011 21:03:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

and im just like:
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#28 Posted : 13 September 2011 21:03:58(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
That's not really fair to say because I don't use it as an 'excuse' and a lot of other Americans don't either. To me its a day to show respect. The bigger picture is people died and not One or Five or 300, but thousands. How we chose to remember that day is our business.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 13/09/2011(UTC)
Offline Rincewind  
#29 Posted : 13 September 2011 21:07:06(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
That's not really fair to say because I don't use it as an 'excuse' and a lot of other Americans don't either. To me its a day to show respect. The bigger picture is people died and not One or Five or 300, but thousands. How we chose to remember that day is our business.

while this is true...
you also have to think about the fact that this one event has shaped American foriegn policy for the last ten years AND has shaped the world in which we live today. So while you have the right to remember it, it also effects a lot of people who don't live in America, because of how you choose to remember it.
and im just like:
Offline genocidal king  
#30 Posted : 13 September 2011 21:11:32(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
To be fair, for the average American, I doubt the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan are how they "choose to remember it".
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 13/09/2011(UTC)
Offline Rincewind  
#31 Posted : 13 September 2011 21:14:09(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

i feel like i should explain that bit then, as i didn't mean that Americans as a whole have decided to remember 11/9 via the wars....
but because of how the general American public does percive and remember and more importantly feel about 11/9 we have the result of the middle eastern wars and mass killings of innocent civilians over there instead.
and im just like:
Offline Mckenzie-  
#32 Posted : 14 September 2011 01:19:44(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Wow. This has expanded ALOT!

Here is my opinion, not trying to offend or come across mean.. this is a healthy debate. I believe that 11/9 is a day that should be remembered, for numerous reasons. The travesty that happened in one of the biggest Cities/Countries in the world (11/9) was a great shock and it hit the whole nation hard. 'Nine eleven' left everyone in shock.. nobody quite believed what happened, nobody felt safe. You can see how close the nation is, everyone pulled together.. you've all seen the documentaries no matter where you are in the world.
The heroes of that day, be it firemen, policemen, paramedics or civilians who offered their help, who risked their lives and in many cases lost them deserve to be remembered for what they done. It was an act of heroism, "so others may live". I have HUGE respect to the firemen who went into that building when they knew what the dangers we're, they gave hope to all those trapped in the building.
The lives affected by this disaster direct or not, is astronomical. I know one person who had passed in it, she was my Aunt's best friend. I think it is only nice and a mark of respect that we remember those who passed. It is the same as Hillsborough in England, that is always remembered and respected on the anniversary.

Edited by user 14 September 2011 01:43:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

retired x
Offline blueothello  
#33 Posted : 14 September 2011 01:46:41(UTC)
blueothello

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mouschi Go to Quoted Post
Warning, I'm going to go off on one. And this is going to sound a bit mean, probably.

Yes, it could have been prevented (more solid building structures for example), but it wasn't. It was sad, very sad - but it's been 10 years. America used this as an excuse to kill many more innocent people. Fighting back at all does not make America the heroes, it makes them just as bad. If anyone supported the war or came out with hatred against another race, country or religious group, you could say "nine eleven" and it was suddenly justified. Over here, one couldn't say that one hates Asians because of 7/7, if someone said that they'd just be accused of racism, full stop. Also over here, you don't see us crying about the more recent 7/7 attacks on its anniversary, or associate "seven seven" with death and disaster. How long will it have to be before the USA sees 11/9 as just a date on the calendar and not a lame excuse for war and nationalism? 10 years apparently isn't enough; will 20, 50, 100 years be enough?

My dad fought in the Iraqi Wars and believe me, it wasn't a walk in the park for him either. He tells me War Stories at times but I know he excises information at times, he'll start sentences, only to pause and change the subjects moments later. I'd need five more hands to count how many people I know died in that war, so believe me when I say that the average American doesn't quite support the war that has left families without parents, children etc. This might sound a little weird but we don't exactly find killing real live people much fun, contrary to belief.

Also, do I feel strongly about 9/11? Yes. You know what it's like to watch friends, classmates and people you know seclude during the weeks surrounding that day. The day we see it as just another date on the calender is the day that we forget those who died, and I don't quite want to forget that.
thanks 1 user thanked blueothello for this useful post.
Mckenzie- on 14/09/2011(UTC)
Offline forkboy  
#34 Posted : 14 September 2011 02:58:45(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
People who join the military are fucking stupid. What do they expect if it's not being losing all sense of humanity being desensitised to brutality, murdering folk & the chance of being murdered?
Offline DistortedAudio  
#35 Posted : 14 September 2011 06:01:49(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
People who join the military are fucking stupid. What do they expect if it's not being losing all sense of humanity being desensitised to brutality, murdering folk & the chance of being murdered?

That was from me using my old screen-name. Anyway, my dad didn't join the military because he wanted to, and neither did my grandfather before that. My dad grew up in a bad area of DC, and he had the grades to get accepted to the College he wanted to go to, but not the money and couldn't get enough scholarships.

He knew that staying in DC wouldn't cut it for him, I mean that place is fucking horrid, especially the ghetto. So he joined the Military, became a Medic and now he's working a great job(after 2 full tours).

Tons of people died for the USA and I know that doesn't mean much to you forkboy, but in all due respect, I don't give a fuck. I'll be damned though, if I let the past generations of my family lineage fall into the singular category of 'fucking stupid'. I'll be damned if the numerous soldiers I've had the pleasure of meeting, and associating myself with all fall into the singular category of 'fucking stupid'. I'll be damned if the man who fought so that I could get a proper college education is left to fall into the singular category of 'fucking stupid.' So as many before me have said, as many after me will say:

"Fuck off."

(OOC: No offense Forkboy but I take my dad and his profession fairly seriously, certain subjects you cross over on sarcastically and 'take the piss out of' I can laugh with you on but this ain't one of 'em mate.)
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Rincewind  
#36 Posted : 14 September 2011 06:03:57(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

i think the system which forces intelligent people to join the army just to get a decent education, is fucking stupid.
and im just like:
Offline forkboy  
#37 Posted : 14 September 2011 06:10:15(UTC)
forkboy

I'd be inclined to agree with Rincewind. Joining the military just to able to afford a university education is a ridiculous situation. Is it not the result of the GI Bill that was passed after WW2 as essentially a way to reward people who had been forcibly conscripted to fight in the armed forces due to national service? Well the draft has long since gone, now it is simply used as a way to economically blackmail people to join up. What's needed is far better, fairer government support for people who go into higher education. Low interest rates loans by the state. State schools with artificially lower entrance costs. Less scholarships given to athletes & more given to hard working students. Something the United States need to address urgently. But won't because of some mis-placed fear of socialism.

And I was being deadly serious, no sarcasm involved. I'm not a pacifist, & I can understand fighting for a cause you genuinely believe in such as the Spanish Civil War, but joining an army which is essentially about nothing more than spreading the imperial might of the worlds only super power is fucking stupid. The people may not be idiots, but they are doing something which in my opinion is idiotic.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#38 Posted : 14 September 2011 06:15:26(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post
i think the system which forces intelligent people to join the army just to get a decent education, is fucking stupid.

forkboy wrote:
I'd be inclined to agree with Rincewind. Joining the military just to able to afford a university education is a ridiculous situation. Is it not the result of the GI Bill that was passed after WW2 as essentially a way to reward people who had been forcibly conscripted to fight in the armed forces due to national service? Well the draft has long since gone, now it is simply used as a way to economically blackmail people to join up. What's needed is far better, fairer government support for people who go into higher education. Low interest rates loans by the state. State schools with artificially lower entrance costs. Less scholarships given to athletes & more given to hard working students. Something the United States need to address urgently. But won't because of some mis-placed fear of socialism.

And I was being deadly serious, no sarcasm involved. I'm not a pacifist, & I can understand fighting for a cause you genuinely believe in such as the Spanish Civil War, but joining an army which is essentially about nothing more than spreading the imperial might of the worlds only super power is fucking stupid. The people may not be idiots, but they are doing something which in my opinion is idiotic.

I can agree with this, I knew you could make a better and more in-depth argument than the one before. It may seem idiotic to you, but it was really the only option my father and men/women like him had. Well only legal option.

UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#39 Posted : 14 September 2011 06:49:53(UTC)
forkboy

I just in a nutshell lose respect for anyone who kills another human being in the name of their state is basically my point. It's a core philosophical belief to me.
Offline Mckenzie-  
#40 Posted : 14 September 2011 07:25:26(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
I just in a nutshell lose respect for anyone who kills another human being in the name of their state is basically my point. It's a core philosophical belief to me.

What if its killing in order to save more lives in the long run? Because essentially, that is what is happening in the Middle East.

Im not for war in any way shape or form. However, unfortunately due to the nature of human beings, wars start and it is necessary to have an army to serve as protection.

Ill leave it with 2 great quotes on the subject of war.. both cover the 2 points of view.

"You are not going to get peace with millions of armed men. The chariot of peace cannot advance over a road littered with cannon."

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."

Both are true in their own ways. The one thing we know for certain, is that war will never end. There will not be a point in MY life (Maybe my distant offsprings) where their is not some sort of conflict or war on going.
retired x