logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mt. Epic  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2011 15:30:01(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
It's without a doubt that this thread is diverse in its musical tastes. So, care to share your favorite, why, and what you consider to be the defining artists/works of your period(s)?

Personally, I enjoy the periods between Romantic to about 1990s Alternative rock (I still enjoy plenty of artists of the genre, primarily Radiohead, one of my faves ever).

I enjoy the Romantic Period because it was a time of spread intellect throughout Europe that ultimately gave way to a deeper, more emotionally-thickened type of music, and Chopin's many valses exemplified this best. I can't choose A piece, but I can name one of my favorites, Opus 27 No. 1. Debussy was good too, his defining work was "Clair de Lune", but he is usually the "#2" guy of Romantic music, so it couldn't be the "defining" work.

I don't really like Baroque because it was a development period of music, so it was still rustic, at least to me. Plus, it is too bland for my tastes. Only Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" sparks any excitement to me. Classical Period music is better, but I view it as a precursor to Romanticism. My fave from this time is Mozart's "Lacrimosa", just because I'm a sadistic crying fuck.

Avant Garde is a huge favorite of mine. It's like the continuation of Romanticism into the modern era, and Erik Satie's "Trois Gynomopedis" are just beautiful. They make me cry sometimes because the man had a sad life, and for some reason, I can just relate to him through them, although he meant them more for his listeners than himself.

I'd go on further, but I'd just be rambling...
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline Rincewind  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2011 02:14:05(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
god i do love the lacrimosa...
i don't have a favorate period of music just bits and peices that speak to me and therefore i love... mainly the obvious ones like mozart's requiem, bach's matthaus, Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 (Op. 18), Mahler's symphoney number 5 etc
guiltiest pleasure probably has to be Wargner though, even though i know most people despise him...

I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Rincewind  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2011 02:15:14(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
ohhh forgot Offenbach as a major like as well
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Mt. Epic  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2011 14:14:15(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post
god i do love the lacrimosa...
i don't have a favorate period of music just bits and peices that speak to me and therefore i love... mainly the obvious ones like mozart's requiem, bach's matthaus, Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 (Op. 18), Mahler's symphoney number 5 etc
guiltiest pleasure probably has to be Wargner though, even though i know most people despise him...

Yeah, I remember he was a Jew hater. I forgot which composer he kept pestering though. I'm guessing Schubert?
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!