logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline forkboy  
#21 Posted : 27 January 2012 08:52:02(UTC)
forkboy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
She's the young Subo
Offline genocidal king  
#22 Posted : 27 January 2012 09:03:21(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
I'm just saying you shouldn't say who's a 'real' artist just because they don't live up to your standards.

At no point did I not say she was a real artist. I said I don't like her.

As a way of proving my point Give this a try. Adele may well be technically outstanding at what she does, and she probably is, but I don't like it. The video below is also technically outstanding, especially the solo 3 minutes in. But I get the feeling 99% of you would dismiss it as "just noise" without even giving it a go. Please do give it a go though, it proves the point well. Just because someone is amazingly talented, technically gifted and doing something perfectly, it does not mean that everyone has to like them.

Seriously, try one of these. All are technically amazing, but like I say, you'd mostly all think it's "just a noise".

UserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#23 Posted : 27 January 2012 09:06:21(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Could never get into Parkway Drive. I like Black Dahlia and Necrophagist but Parkway Drive always rolled with the wrong crowds when I'd see the supporting acts for their shows.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Mckenzie-  
#24 Posted : 27 January 2012 09:07:29(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Fucking hell. Wasn't expecting that sort of backlash. I never once said she wasn't a "real artist", I just said she can't call the album fully hers on one which other people wrote, produced and played instruments on.

She does play instruments yes, but i believe im correct in saying that she played zero on the album and live, according to AllMusic and Wikipedia that is. I think close to 100 people had an input on it, whether doing any of the above stated or providing back-up vocals.

And the album is all ballads, the girl can sing them, no question.. but the whole theme gets old after a while. But hey, thats my opinion.
retired x
Offline Famouss7x7  
#25 Posted : 27 January 2012 09:40:32(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Either way she is a pop culture phenomonon and did it all with her clothes on, true talent.

You didn't get a backlash, its your opinion but you were speaking as if the girl doesn't deserve all that she's getting. She deserves every bit of it. And the fact that she's not a size 1 even makes me like her more. Sometimes the underdogs deserve to win.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 3 users thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 27/01/2012(UTC), PopstarExposed on 27/01/2012(UTC), deadserious on 28/01/2012(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#26 Posted : 27 January 2012 10:20:48(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Eh, I really don't mind her or her music. I do own both her albums and I think she's a talented singer. Be it as it may, her thing is torch songs and everyone knows that.

I mean, I'm honestly not that surprised to see her be this successful. I am taken aback by the longevity her album has had in the charts, given the fact that only two or three singles have been released so far. Adele still makes pop music, it just sounds different from Gaga, and Perry, and whomever else. Rick Rubin invoked lots of different sounds in her album, which is what really catches my ear more so than the subject matters.

In some ways, she reminds me of Taylor Swift and the success she found here in the states, just a few years ago too. Both entered the industry with a certain image, different from the rest, they appealed to certain demographics (Adele appealing to an older demographic, Swift to the tweens and teens), and they just built off that. Just because they don't look or dress like the rest of the females making pop music, that doesn't mean they aren't in that same category.
UserPostedImage
Offline Famouss7x7  
#27 Posted : 27 January 2012 10:55:58(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PANIC! Go to Quoted Post
Eh, I really don't mind her or her music. I do own both her albums and I think she's a talented singer. Be it as it may, her thing is torch songs and everyone knows that.

I mean, I'm honestly not that surprised to see her be this successful. I am taken aback by the longevity her album has had in the charts, given the fact that only two or three singles have been released so far. Adele still makes pop music, it just sounds different from Gaga, and Perry, and whomever else. Rick Rubin invoked lots of different sounds in her album, which is what really catches my ear more so than the subject matters.

In some ways, she reminds me of Taylor Swift and the success she found here in the states, just a few years ago too. Both entered the industry with a certain image, different from the rest, they appealed to certain demographics (Adele appealing to an older demographic, Swift to the tweens and teens), and they just built off that. Just because they don't look or dress like the rest of the females making pop music, that doesn't mean they aren't in that same category.

I think Adele is in an entirely different category from Gaga or Perry. Just as the reasons you stated. Not only does her image completely differ from the two, she also sounds totally different. Like you said. Not to mention the fact that she writes her music, unlike Perry. And sometimes I question Gaga as well.

I say Katy and Gaga, along with Spears and Beyonce are in the same category.

I rather you put Adele & Taylor in the same category separate from the other stated above because their images are totally different, and much more toned down. Just because they too make pop music doesn't put them in the same category. Although Pop music varies I can find similarities in Katy, Gaga, Beyonce and Spears within their image, music, etc but I could in no way find similarities with Adele and those pop stars.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

Offline PANIC!  
#28 Posted : 27 January 2012 11:06:47(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Well I wasn't categorizing them by image, rather just by all of them making pop music. No matter what, in my opinion, music comes before image. I'm a fan of Adele, but the fact is she doesn't entirely write her songs by herself, which doesn't make a difference to me because I still like her music beside the fact. It's just a mess to get into a debate about any of them as credible songwriters because whether we are talking about Adele, or Katy, or Gaga, or Beyonce, each of them have a team of co-writers beside them. As most mainstream pop artists do. It's just how it works.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 27/01/2012(UTC)
Offline forkboy  
#29 Posted : 27 January 2012 11:17:03(UTC)
forkboy

Deathcore and metalcore are the worst shit in the land. Hardcore punk rock is fucking awesome. Death metal is OK in small doses, so long as the doses are Entombed, Death or Obituary shaped. But fuck, mix them together and you make me want to renounce my metal fandom. But then I guess I'm more doom and black metal orientated these days. AND I'm a crotchety old fuck who just doesn't get your youngsters music.
Offline deadserious  
#30 Posted : 28 January 2012 11:09:15(UTC)
deadserious

United States

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 314 post(s)
Some of the greatest albums, had a team of people behind it. Having input by someone else can bring out a stronger emotion into the work you're making. Besides Elvis Presley easily the bestselling solo artist in history, and he hardly wrote any of his songs, I would say less then ten and they were co-written.
AimeryNaomiGiselleELMNT
Offline Mr Neutron  
#31 Posted : 29 January 2012 02:43:36(UTC)
Mr Neutron

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
And the fact that she's not a size 1 even makes me like her more.

you like her more for being "chubby?"

you'd probably dig poison idea.Whistle
UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 02/06/2562 11:22:42(UTC) PopstarExposed  
#32 Posted : 29 January 2012 02:49:17(UTC)
PopstarExposed

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 70 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr Neutron Go to Quoted Post

What she means is that Adele doesn't aim to have a sex appeal in order to sell music....
Active Characters -

Danny Smith - (Managed By Will.Rocca/Recording)

Offline Matticus  
#33 Posted : 29 January 2012 02:50:34(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Was thanked: 1328 time(s) in 705 post(s)
Originally Posted by: deadserious Go to Quoted Post
Some of the greatest albums, had a team of people behind it. Having input by someone else can bring out a stronger emotion into the work you're making. Besides Elvis Presley easily the bestselling solo artist in history, and he hardly wrote any of his songs, I would say less then ten and they were co-written.

YEAH! And Forest Gump choreographed his dancing!!!!
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)
Offline forkboy  
#34 Posted : 29 January 2012 03:00:58(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: Mr Neutron Go to Quoted Post

Everybody should dig Poison Idea!
Offline DistortedAudio  
#35 Posted : 29 January 2012 03:08:18(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Originally Posted by: Matticus Go to Quoted Post

YEAH! And Forest Gump choreographed his dancing!!!!

Wait, no. I thought Michael Jackson was the bestselling solo artist in history.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline deadserious  
#36 Posted : 29 January 2012 03:14:04(UTC)
deadserious

United States

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 314 post(s)
Its actually Elvis. He sold over a billion records.
AimeryNaomiGiselleELMNT
Offline forkboy  
#37 Posted : 29 January 2012 03:39:40(UTC)
forkboy

The Beatles have sold more confirmed units, for the record.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#38 Posted : 29 January 2012 03:42:58(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post

The Beatles have sold more confirmed units, for the record.

Well, that may be the case but we're talking about Solo Artists, and Elvis did sell more than Michael Jackson.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
thanks 1 user thanked DistortedAudio for this useful post.
deadserious on 29/01/2012(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#39 Posted : 26 February 2012 02:13:35(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
I have something to ask a lot of people who like Adele as of today. The biggest argument people project for this girl, is that she is a singer who only cares about her voice and her singing. She isn't bothered about her appearance, we hear, and she is proud of being a bigger girl, who does not have to be seen as a sex symbol.

Then what the hell, I ask....is this?

UserPostedImage

When I first saw that, I genuinely thought it was Welsh singer Katherine Jenkins. There is a strong possibility that this is the most airbrushed celeb photo I have ever seen. So much for the Adele who sings for the bigger girl and doesnt worry about her appearance...oh dear...
UserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#40 Posted : 26 February 2012 02:22:30(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Well, still speaking as not that big of a fan, you as a journalist should probably be familiar with the fact that cover photos (aside from the taking of them) are usually out of the artist's hands. I'd say if anything her agent or the promoter service that books her venues were more behind this, if not Vogue (which I should add is notorious for air-brushing every thing).
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY