logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline deadserious  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2012 05:11:17(UTC)
deadserious

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 314 post(s)
If you haven't noticed Adele has been selling records like crazy. In fact she sold so much, she saved the music industry (music sales have been declining, but because of Adele music sales went up, if you take away her sales from the total the industry is in an even deeper decline). What.s unusual about this is that, she isn't like the sex charged female pop musicians. Many were expecting 2011 to be a battle between Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Katy Perry and Beyonce, the biggest pop stars right now. But she outsold them completely with all her clothes on in the process. The album broke records worldwide selling 4 million in the UK, and 6 million in the US, and a total of 17 million copies worldwide. Just this week, Adele has earned a third consecutive #1 with Set Fire to the Rain in the Us, while the album tops the chart again for its 17th week. The last album to do that was Usher in 2004, and Whitney Houston in 1993. So what is that Adele has that the other "major" pop stars don't? I think its because her music appeals to all age groups, while the other females appeal to a more younger crowd ( a crowd less likely to buy music). Because of that, both older adults, young adults, and teens will like her. I bought her album, and its good, well done. It has a variety of sound from Motown, traditional pop, to gospel. The problem now is, there will be hype, and hopes for Adele to outdo this album. And rarely that happens.

Edited by user 26 January 2012 05:24:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AimeryNaomiGiselleELMNT
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2012 05:19:09(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19124 time(s) in 7592 post(s)
I'm glad that she has got all of the success instead of the usual pop stars. I mean Lady GaGa takes of her clothes and makes 60 minute long mindfuck music videos and shoots straight to number 1 most of the time without even having a bit of passion for her music. With Adele she really puts effort and emotion into her music which I think attracts people to her, although I am not a real fan (the only song I like by her is 'Cold Shoulder') I do respect her as an artist and I'm glad she is breaking records. However I'm surprised at the '21' album doing this well because in my opinion it is quite bland and overrated, creatively I think she can outdo it, sales wise however I'm not sure.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 26/01/2012(UTC)
Offline infinite135  
#3 Posted : 26 January 2012 05:30:39(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
I agree with Brownsugar. The album can be a bit bland and one-note. But, I guess she found her particular niche and perfected it. I do have respect for her as a person, rather than her art; we haven't had a genuinely passionate pop-star like this since the turn of the century. If her music is artificial or anything, she sure as hell knows how to fake it. But that passion and sadness in her music is what made her so successful, even if it's not what we'd typically call mainstream or anything. Because the mainstream works in cycles; for the past few years, being sexy or glitzy has been the 'in' thing, but now people have gotten tired of it. So, something so real and genuine would be a nice change of pace from the music that has become so artificial and fake in recent years. I don't think Adele was using this to manipulate the record-buying public or anything, I just think it's the reason she's become so successful. That, and teenage girls will always feel the need to write the lyrics to a break-up song in their journals.

With all that being said... I work at McDonalds, so I have to put up with the endless loop of songs played on the radio. If I hear 'Someone Like You' while flipping burgers one more time, I'm going to stab out both of my ears.
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
thanks 2 users thanked infinite135 for this useful post.
erich hess on 26/01/2012(UTC), DistortedAudio on 27/01/2012(UTC)
Offline deadserious  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2012 05:39:19(UTC)
deadserious

United States

I do agree, with you on that. Her music gets overplayed, but I hardly listen to radio now for me to get tired of it. I think this year will see a change in pop music. Look at Lana Del Rey, I think she will be pretty big this year or next. I think people are tired of the hyper-sexualization of pop music, and want a change.
AimeryNaomiGiselleELMNT
Offline erich hess  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2012 06:12:17(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17917 time(s) in 10411 post(s)
i think its her wide appeal to all age groups. grandma's arent going to listen to katy perry,and young kids arent going to listen to perry como. adele bridges this,and seemingly well.

i dont mind her,but rolling in the deep makes me want to find a clock tower. it has been played into the ground.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline Gildermershina  
#6 Posted : 26 January 2012 09:23:13(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
What I find unusual about her success is that I don't think her music is in any way exceptional. But that's just me. The fact that not looking like a lot of pop singers is enough to make you an unusual case in pop music is a bad thing.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Mr Neutron  
#7 Posted : 26 January 2012 23:12:42(UTC)
Mr Neutron

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Never heard her, so I can not point to a specific reason for her success. I will, however, make the assumption that it's due to blandness.
UserPostedImage
Offline genocidal king  
#8 Posted : 26 January 2012 23:21:08(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
I think people try to latch on to the tit of anything they are fed by the media, and here in the UK anyway, she was touted for success like nothing I have ever seen. Her debut song Chasing Pavements was played almost constantly on Radio One weeks before it came out, so that cannot be put down to prior success, and she was also everywhere in the newspapers at premieres and shit before anyone had really heard of her.
She has a decent voice, for sure, but don't let anyone lead you to believe she's as "pure" a star as people think. She's every bit as manufactured as GaGa or katy Perry on any other. Just in a different way.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
Mckenzie- on 27/01/2012(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#9 Posted : 27 January 2012 06:24:17(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
I think she has she has an extremely devoted fan base not only in her country but in the United States also. And the fact that she doesn't take off her clothes draws more people toward her. Parents love her, in turn, their children love her, and teens love her as well. She has a universal appeal, or should I say voice.

Lana on the other hand, I do like. But she also is hypersexualized, but more in a seductive way, and will be no where near as big as Adele.

Edited by user 27 January 2012 06:30:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 2 users thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 27/01/2012(UTC), DistortedAudio on 27/01/2012(UTC)
Offline DistortedAudio  
#10 Posted : 27 January 2012 06:48:32(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Call her bad, call her good. Am I the only one happy that Blues and Soul is getting major airplay again? She's a far-cry from Coltrane and Screamin' Jay, hell she's a far-cry from the Black Keys but to hear something other than Lil Wayne's newest album or Keri Hilton on the only fucking stations I get here (the other station I can get is either some nice 70's Funk or Pop-Rock) is some-what refreshing.

Unusual or not. She's got the pipes, so let her use 'em. Also like Famous7x7 and Infinite both said, she has a bit of classiness surrounding her but it doesn't go into the obnoxious category that other indie artists ooze (PJ Harvey in example).
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
thanks 2 users thanked DistortedAudio for this useful post.
erich hess on 27/01/2012(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/01/2012(UTC)
Offline DistortedAudio  
#11 Posted : 27 January 2012 06:50:12(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
I think people try to latch on to the tit of anything they are fed by the media, and here in the UK anyway, she was touted for success like nothing I have ever seen. Her debut song Chasing Pavements was played almost constantly on Radio One weeks before it came out, so that cannot be put down to prior success, and she was also everywhere in the newspapers at premieres and shit before anyone had really heard of her.
She has a decent voice, for sure, but don't let anyone lead you to believe she's as "pure" a star as people think. She's every bit as manufactured as GaGa or katy Perry on any other. Just in a different way.

Works like that sometimes. Adam Lambert was force-fed hard here a while ago, not to mention every American Idol winner in general. Here it's moreso the blogs that control what everyone listens to (except for Rap). I remember Foster the People gained Y2K-esque hype within the course of a week, not to say they aren't talented.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Famouss7x7  
#12 Posted : 27 January 2012 07:15:49(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Also, 21 - BLAND?!

The girl put so much emotion into that album[keep in mind she's 21], recounting true events of heartbreak and betrayal using a piano and other instruments, and it gets universal acclaim...since when has that happened? Its not bland at all, maybe some people don't understand it, or her.. That not every type of music has to have a pounding baseline or synths...that of course, is for those who are used to that music and may find the type of music Adele makes, boring or bland. I bet she would be more respected if she wasn't labeled as "pop musics savior"

Edited by user 27 January 2012 07:19:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 27/01/2012(UTC)
Offline deadserious  
#13 Posted : 27 January 2012 07:48:56(UTC)
deadserious

United States

I think there's two sides of her success. People who legitimately like her, and people who like her because everyone else is. A large part of her success is YouTube I bet. But her music isn't bland for me, because its part of my taste so I like it. But to others, I can see how it is.
AimeryNaomiGiselleELMNT
Offline Mckenzie-  
#14 Posted : 27 January 2012 07:54:17(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
Also, 21 - BLAND?!

The girl put so much emotion into that album[keep in mind she's 21], recounting true events of heartbreak and betrayal using a piano and other instruments, and it gets universal acclaim...since when has that happened? Its not bland at all, maybe some people don't understand it, or her.. That not every type of music has to have a pounding baseline or synths...that of course, is for those who are used to that music and may find the type of music Adele makes, boring or bland. I bet she would be more respected if she wasn't labeled as "pop musics savior"

Thats exactly the problem. One song after another, its a ballad. Now I am partial for ballads, but not an album full of them! I agree that its bland, if you don't like one or two songs on the album, 9/10 times, you wont like the album. Also, its still top of the charts? Surely the whole world and his cousin has got that album by now!

It had been over-hyped too, I mean, jesus christ, its not that fucking good! I know plenty of artists who don't use synths, auto-tune, baselines etc and they get 0 recognition. On the instrument front, Adele plays none of them. She also only co-writes her music, getting about 30 external people in to help write it as well as a host of different producers, not really "her" album.

I don't know, maybe im just fed up with the constant hype surrounding Adele, heard Someone Like You played a few times too many or just have a bone to pick with pop music in general.

Edited by user 27 January 2012 07:59:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

retired x
User is suspended until 02/06/2562 11:22:42(UTC) PopstarExposed  
#15 Posted : 27 January 2012 08:09:27(UTC)
PopstarExposed

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 70 post(s)
I love Adele... I think she's "The New Era" of Soul music. Her latest album sold over 18 million copies worldwide. Lauryn Hill's album, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" took a little under a decade to sell 18 million copes. And that Lauryn's album has only stayed #1 for 4 consecutive weeks and that's it. But for Adele to stay atop the charts week after week is just unbelievable. I love her songs. Also, I do believe that her latest album, 21, will sell millions of more copies in the future.
Active Characters -

Danny Smith - (Managed By Will.Rocca/Recording)

Offline RoseJapanFan  
#16 Posted : 27 January 2012 08:11:33(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Well I adore Adele, her voice, her personality, and her music. She's one of the few artists I have listened to their album from beginning to finish without stopping it and actually like it. I haven't bought it but I've listened and have nothing bad to say about it. So she doesn't sing about partying, sleeping with someone, or whatever. She has talent. Just because she had help writing her album and songs or doesn't play any instruments doesn't make her any less of an artist because majority of the artists people know and worship don't even write their own songs on their own and to me that doesn't mean they aren't a 'real' artist or whatever you guys wanna call it. Everyone needs help sometimes. I wouldn't even count her as pop, she's more soul and blues. Oh and there's nothing bland about her album at all.

Edited by user 27 January 2012 08:23:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 2 users thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 27/01/2012(UTC), asdf on 27/01/2012(UTC)
Offline DistortedAudio  
#17 Posted : 27 January 2012 08:26:09(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Originally Posted by: Mckenzie- Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
Also, 21 - BLAND?!

Thats exactly the problem. One song after another, its a ballad. Now I am partial for ballads, but not an album full of them! I agree that its bland, if you don't like one or two songs on the album, 9/10 times, you wont like the album. Also, its still top of the charts? Surely the whole world and his cousin has got that album by now!

It had been over-hyped too, I mean, jesus christ, its not that fucking good! I know plenty of artists who don't use synths, auto-tune, baselines etc and they get 0 recognition. On the instrument front, Adele plays none of them.

Well, if I can remember she plays like five different instruments ranging from the Bass to the Piano. Just because she doesn't play them live doesn't mean she can't play them, James Murphy, the leader of LCD Soundsystem never touches any instruments live, but when he records, he records every instrument himself.

Also, if you think her ballads are a problem, you need to pick up a Bon Jovi album and take a gander. Hair Metal IS ballads. Skid Row.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Famouss7x7  
#18 Posted : 27 January 2012 08:29:16(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Yes ballads! There wonderful! If Rolling In the Deep & Set Fire To The Rain isn't upbeat for you enough, then what is when it comes to Adele?? Plus, there isn't really much "up-beatness" about soul/blues. It doesn't mean its bland, its just who she is.

And seriously about the instruments, her voice is amazing, and her writing skills stellar, you want her to play every godamn instrument too?? I believe she can play instruemnts if I'm not mistaking. And even if she didn't, just because she doesn't play instruments doesn't mean she's not a real artist! Surely there are PLENTY of artists who don't get as much recognition as her and play their instruments, write their music, and produce all their tracks, but doesn't mean Adele isn't a real artist.

It was an amazing album. And I don't think its over hyped, a true star with true talent should get their moment of shine...I think it should be this way.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 27/01/2012(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#19 Posted : 27 January 2012 08:33:04(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
People here need to get a perspective on the word OPINION. The world would be boring as hell if we all liked the same thing. Adele has vocal talent, yes. She makes popular music and sings it well, yes. And she is going out there and doing it without being a skinny tanned blonde. She just is not my personal cup of tea. We all have different tastes.
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
Matticus on 27/01/2012(UTC), Mckenzie- on 27/01/2012(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#20 Posted : 27 January 2012 08:45:25(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
I'm just saying you shouldn't say who's a 'real' artist just because they don't live up to your standards.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 27/01/2012(UTC)