logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline forkboy  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2012 12:01:52(UTC)
forkboy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Disclaimer: Some views expressed by me in this thread may need to be taken with a pinch of salt. I'm British & do not have a vote, but still follow the theatre of the US primary season because it is quite unlike anything in British politics, & so to an outsider it come sometimes seem a little surreal. So I may sound sarcastic about certain candidates. Don't take it to heart, I just would find it depressing as an indictment on humanity to take certain sections of the Republican Party seriously.

Obama is certain to gain the Democratic Party nomination, there is no serious candidate opposing his re-election (sadly, Vermin Supreme has been overlooked. Though I guess "being funny" isn't the primary consideration for a presidential candidate), so for now the focus is mainly on the GOP's race. The Primarys have been going for nearly 2 months now and we've lost 3 candidates from the field. Rick Perry, the Texas governor who claimed to be cutting 3 departments completely and then failed to name more than 2 of them (he also looks to me like Salvatore Romano from Mad Men, the art director at Stirling Cooper, albeit an aged version of him. Is it just a funny coincedence that the Sal character is a closeted homosexual?), a man who despite an abscence of other socially conservative evangelical protestants managed to completely deflate that core, passionate section of the Republican Party any time he opened his mouth during debates. Then there was Jon Huntsman, inarguably the most moderate of the candidates, & the only one who would fit in to British politics, dropping out. And Tea Party favourite Michelle Bachman, born in Iowa but completely unable to get voters on side. And I think that is a great thing for everybody in the world except for stand-up comedians & satirists. She's like the dumb Sarah Palin somehow.

So we're left with 4 candidates, Mitt Romney, the one that nobody really likes but everybody accepts is the only one who stands even a vague chance of actually beating Obama, if only because he has absolutely no problems with lying compulsively. No position he holds is more important to him than power, that much is clear. So he's the favourite, a thoroughly insincere & uninspiring choice. Then the opposition to Romney just swings wildly from one man to the other, between Newt (never has a politician had such an appropriate name as this reprehensible amphibian) Gingrich, a man who claims that Palestinians are an "invented people", who wants to completely cut the EPA & who claims to be an outsider despite having had a long career in Washington DC politics including a spell as Speaker of the House. And Rick Santorum, well the nicest thing I can say about him is that at least he's absolutely consistent on his politics. He hates gays & thinks that consensual sex between 2 adults of the same gender is on the same level as fucking a child or an animal. He also wants to basically nuke Iran, or at the very least start a new Cold War with them. Finally you have Ron Paul who is a libertarian, thinks business should basically be left to do what it wants, but that states should be allowed to ban abortion.

So far Santorum surprised most observers when he won in Iowa thanks to a strong grassroots campaign that essentially made him a major player despite only beating Mittens by about 40 votes. Next up was New Hampshire where Romney had a fairly easy win, South Carolina saw the Newt victorious. Florida & Nevada both went the way of Mitt, as did Maine, while Santorum got a clean sweep on the 7th February in Colorado, Minnesota & Missouri (in Missouri Santorum won every single county & actually had more than 50% of the vote, which is pretty impressive). Next up are Alaska & Michigan on the 28th, then Washington on March 3rd before Super Tuesday on the 6th. The actual candidate won't be known until the Republican Convention at the end of August. So that's 6 more months of these guys beating the shit out of each other in a brutal campaign with some hilarious negative attack ads already deployed. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money down on Obama to win it in November.
Offline Rincewind  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2012 06:40:35(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
i try to avoid it, as its like a painful circus act, where the clowns are simply beating each other up with machette's....
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2012 07:03:15(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17923 time(s) in 10416 post(s)
it would be fucking hilarious if the fate of my nation wasnt tied to these ass clowns. seriously,you couldnt make this shit up if you tried. dubya looks like einstein more and more by the day.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
infinite135 on 22/02/2012(UTC)
Offline Gildermershina  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2012 08:35:14(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
My personal feeling is that, Romney aside, the Republican candidates are all absurd cartoon-like avatars for the various ideals of the right-wing fringe.

Newt though seems like the worst, because his own personal indiscretion and lies undermine every single thing he says, and yet he gets away with it because he has the age-old excuse of being victimised by left-wing media bias... That claim rallies a surprising amount of the right-wing fringe behind him.

Santorum's just a dick who doesn't really like the first amendment very much and would rather push his own Catholic values on everyone.

Ron Paul, I respect, for having rational arguments backing up his position. He reminds me a little of Arnold Vinick in the West Wing, though Vinick actually stood against the religious right aspect of the Republican party, which I REALLY wish at least one of the viable candidates would do.

Romney seems more centrist, more willing to compromise and keep things steady, which is something I think is pretty valuable. On the other hand, because he doesn't seem to have any strong positions or agenda which means he's not especially inspiring to anyone. That and the fact he's a Mormon, which to the religious right is a big deal. The problem with Romney for me is that as President, he seems like he would be easily manipulated by the various interests that support the Republican Party.

I still think Obama will win in the end though, and if he doesn't, I hope America wakes the fuck up and holds these Republican assholes accountable against all their bullshit rhetoric.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2012 10:40:14(UTC)
forkboy

If I had a house, I would bet it on Obama winning.

And yeah, I could totally have voted for Arnold Vinick without feeling TOO dirty. But against Santos he'd have not stood a chance in all fairness.
Offline The Nimrods  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2012 06:19:17(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Forkboy, as long as Obama chooses to run again, he wins the party nomination, as with any president. It's obviously coming down to Romney and Obama. That being said, the Republicans are in control of the house because after 2 years of dissatisfaction, everyone turned their backs on Obama. This happens for virtually every president we've had since the mid 20th century because we're stupid enough to think that a president that conflicts with the house/senate can do anything. However, Obama speeches have won a lot of people back and I think he'll win. If not for his campaign promises, inspirational speeches, and the fact that Bin Laden has been killed, everyone in the GOP (that is running, not as a whole) are socially backward and aren't going to help a more progressive America.
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline forkboy  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2012 07:08:07(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: The Nimrods Go to Quoted Post
Forkboy, as long as Obama chooses to run again, he wins the party nomination

In reality of course. But for example, Ted Kennedy ran against Jimmy Carter in 1980, despite Carter being the sitting president. In 1968 Lyndon Johnson was going to run again but withdrew after the New Hampshire primary when Bobby Kennedy entered the race. So there's certainly examples of an incumbent being challenged in primaries (& in the case of LBJ, losing).
Offline forkboy  
#8 Posted : 24 May 2012 10:41:22(UTC)
forkboy

This all ended up going a bit pish didn't it? I mean was Mitt Romney really the best the American right can do? They'd have been better off running Vincent Kennedy McMahon for president, at least he's got a natural charisma.
Offline Gildermershina  
#9 Posted : 24 May 2012 19:36:01(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
This all ended up going a bit pish didn't it? I mean was Mitt Romney really the best the American right can do? They'd have been better off running Vincent Kennedy McMahon for president, at least he's got a natural charisma.

Romney's the best the Republicans can do because the other guys they had were/are batshit fucking insane, and so far to the right they have no chance of being elected. I mean, you had Newt "by the end of my SECOND term there will be an AMERICAN moonbase, and also I will REDUCE government spending" Gingrich, and Rick "the idea of separation of church and State makes me want to throw up" Santorum, and Ron "lets stop spending any money on anything ever" Paul... The worst thing I can think about Romney is his positions are malleable, which I think is kind of a good thing.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#10 Posted : 24 May 2012 22:04:38(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Speaking as a lower-middle class American (though still a high school student), Romney is not going to win this at all, since we can't relate to him at all. That said, IMO Santorum was the better guy in it. He didn't like separation of church and state, but that said, he wasn't an absolute fucker as I find Romney.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#11 Posted : 24 May 2012 22:53:37(UTC)
forkboy

Rick Santorum is also insane though. His wife had an abortion & he made his kids hold the foetus for fucksake! He's also a horrendous bigot when it comes to homosexuals. Ugh that guy. I can't even believe he was a serious contender, I mean he's a Donald Trump level of candidate.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#12 Posted : 24 May 2012 23:02:09(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Well at this point, when choosing the Republican Candidates we're choosing the lesser of five evils. I liked Santorum better than Romney, that doesn't mean I liked him.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#13 Posted : 24 May 2012 23:25:26(UTC)
forkboy

Personally when I cheer on a Republican candidate I'm choosing the funniest of 5 evils. But then it's not my country Whistle
Offline Aj  
#14 Posted : 26 May 2012 01:51:16(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I hope Santorum wins. About time those fags got what was coming to them.
Offline Gildermershina  
#15 Posted : 26 May 2012 02:27:17(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Aj Go to Quoted Post
I hope Santorum wins. About time those fags got what was coming to them.

This would be Rick Santorum, who dropped out of the race?
Offline DistortedAudio  
#16 Posted : 26 May 2012 02:52:10(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Yeah, he dropped out around a month ago.

Do not like how whenever I watch the news they make this race seem closer than it is. The Republican Party is so split up that I doubt 60% will be voting at all.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline El Capitan  
#17 Posted : 26 May 2012 23:07:58(UTC)
El Capitan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ah, American politics...good for a giggle or two.
Offline luseryobama  
#18 Posted : 30 May 2012 13:40:07(UTC)
luseryobama

Woman
American Samoa

nice,Not so soDancing
spam
Offline Mt. Epic  
#19 Posted : 19 June 2012 12:46:50(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I know it's too late, but if you wanted extra drama, you should've watched the campaigns for the Wisconsin recall governor election. None of the candidates really made any promises what they would do, rather they were throwing crap at the other candidate. It's so funny how people can be easily swayed when it comes to politics. Make a nice 30-second commercial and suddenly the public has a place in their heart for you. Your opponent does the same, you're the new Hitler.

I say, when it comes to politics, people are just downright stupid. Especially when middle-aged men start arguing about shit they have no idea about. I just sit in my little corner and sip my drink, minding my own business. I get frustrated and overwhelmed when I used to speak about politics. I choose to refrain, because hearing the views of some people makes me wonder how the hell we're a first world country.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline forkboy  
#20 Posted : 19 June 2012 18:48:11(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: Mt. Epic Go to Quoted Post
I know it's too late, but if you wanted extra drama, you should've watched the campaigns for the Wisconsin recall governor election. None of the candidates really made any promises what they would do, rather they were throwing crap at the other candidate. It's so funny how people can be easily swayed when it comes to politics. Make a nice 30-second commercial and suddenly the public has a place in their heart for you. Your opponent does the same, you're the new Hitler.

I say, when it comes to politics, people are just downright stupid. Especially when middle-aged men start arguing about shit they have no idea about. I just sit in my little corner and sip my drink, minding my own business. I get frustrated and overwhelmed when I used to speak about politics. I choose to refrain, because hearing the views of some people makes me wonder how the hell we're a first world country.

To be fair, Scott Walker or whatever Wisconsin's governor is called is a fucking awful human being.
thanks 1 user thanked forkboy for this useful post.
Mt. Epic on 20/06/2012(UTC)