logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DistortedAudio  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2012 03:43:37(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
While I was looking through another thread I noticed that some people also preferred Marvel over DC. Personally I don't see how but we can argue positive points of both.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2012 07:20:00(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17920 time(s) in 10413 post(s)
fuck em both. archie comics is the shit.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline forkboy  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2012 08:14:04(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Straight to the point then. Outside of Batman I just could not give a fuck about a single mainstream DC publication. Comparing DC superheros with Marvel superheroes isn't even close. Deadpool, Captain America, Spiderman, The Thing, Iron Man, Dr Strange, THe Hulk, fuck there's just so many good, interesting characters. And there's The Punisher, who is motherfucking awesome. I guess I'm a sucker for the kind of angsty "real" supers that came about from Stan Lee's creation, it's just much more interesting to me.

Meanwhile DC has just...nothings. The Flash, Green Lantern, even Wonder Woman, known of these characters are even on my radar really. And Superman is just...not interesting to me. Batman is a genius, extremely fit & strong, massively wealth & able to build just about anything imaginable, but he's still a human, still has weaknesses. It instantly makes him more interesting than Superman, the all-American alien, corn-bred, aww-gee-shucks sort of thing that just doesn't work outwith America.

Now if you were to talk outside of the "universes" & include stuff published on the ancillary labels, DC has Vertigo. Which has given the world Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, V For Vendetta, From Hell, Watchmen, Transmetropolitan (my very favourite comic series ever), Sandman, & Preacher.

So yeah, Vertigo is fucking awesome, but the main DC Universe does not do anything for me.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2012 08:21:27(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

I directly disagree. To even put The Flash or Green Lantern in the same sentence with a two-bit hero like Spider-Man (who was only even bolstered into fame through the death of Gwen Stacy) or The Punisher (I really disliked Garth Ennis' run on the series) baffles me.

Now, the main Justice League isn't where the true flavor of the DC Lineup comes in. It's the B-League really. Look at The Question, or perhaps known better as the inspiration for Rorshach, easily my favorite of the DC Lineup. Or the Sandman (also Vertigo got integrated into the DC Universe long ago), or hell maybe the true series that bolstered Vertigo into fame, Animal Man (which preceeded The Sandman). Not only that but Marvel's cross-universe events have sorely lacked. Spider-Island was perhaps one of the worst cross-universe events since Image tried out their own a year or two ago.

Just my two cents.

SPOILER ALERT:

I suppose the biggest moment in the DC Comics universe, the one that defined it for me was Barry Allen (the second but most recognizable Flash). His death spoke miles to me.

After killing a villain (one who killed his wife at that), Barry, after a period of hiatus, was the only one who could stop the destruction of Earth by use of an anti-matter cannon. Barry, in his final moments creates a Speed Vortex (basically that tornado he makes by running in circles), running so fast that he not only touches his own back, but becomes the very Speed Force that he so frequently breaks and travels back in time to become the lightning bolt that makes him the Flash.

And then DC left him alone for 20 years. They did no work with him, they made him into the legend that Comics so rarely adhere to. The Legend That Doesn't Come Back.

Edited by user 03 March 2012 08:38:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline erich hess  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2012 08:33:43(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17920 time(s) in 10413 post(s)
Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
Straight to the point then. Outside of Batman I just could not give a fuck about a single mainstream DC publication. Comparing DC superheros with Marvel superheroes isn't even close. Deadpool, Captain America, Spiderman, The Thing, Iron Man, Dr Strange, THe Hulk, fuck there's just so many good, interesting characters. And there's The Punisher, who is motherfucking awesome. I guess I'm a sucker for the kind of angsty "real" supers that came about from Stan Lee's creation, it's just much more interesting to me.

Meanwhile DC has just...nothings. The Flash, Green Lantern, even Wonder Woman, known of these characters are even on my radar really. And Superman is just...not interesting to me. Batman is a genius, extremely fit & strong, massively wealth & able to build just about anything imaginable, but he's still a human, still has weaknesses. It instantly makes him more interesting than Superman, the all-American alien, corn-bred, aww-gee-shucks sort of thing that just doesn't work outwith America.

Now if you were to talk outside of the "universes" & include stuff published on the ancillary labels, DC has Vertigo. Which has given the world Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, V For Vendetta, From Hell, Watchmen, Transmetropolitan (my very favourite comic series ever), Sandman, & Preacher.

So yeah, Vertigo is fucking awesome, but the main DC Universe does not do anything for me.

on a serious note,i agree with you. dc characters are......corny. wolverine may have worn tights and a cumbersome mask,but he seems more realistic than superman or batman.plus,ghost rider is bad ass. marvel wins.

i loved the story with ghost rider,spiderman,and hob goblin. nothing makes a good villian like misplaced religion...wish i still had these books. damn cat whizzed on them. i guess max didnt think too much of the storyline.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline Rincewind  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2012 08:48:32(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Dark horse anyone? or 2000AD?

but i agree tyhat Vertigo is far better than the main dc shebang.... outside of Batman there is nothing there that interests me...

having said that, i also dislike the hulk, spiderman, iron man, thor, captin america ie most of the marvel universe as well
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline DistortedAudio  
#7 Posted : 03 March 2012 09:31:49(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

I skip 2000AD and Dark Horse (Hellboy mainly) can be extremely good. My favorite alternative to the Big Three (DC, Marvel and Dark Horse) is Image though. THE WALKING DEAD.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#8 Posted : 03 March 2012 12:04:08(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
Or the Sandman (also Vertigo got integrated into the DC Universe long ago), or hell maybe the true series that bolstered Vertigo into fame, Animal Man (which preceeded The Sandman).

Eh, there may well be some crossover with Superman in SwampThing etc, but I was referring to the Vertigo imprint as a seperate thing.

Also, not all of Vertigo works have integration with the main DC Universe as far as I'm aware, Spider Jerusalem ain't been in no Superman comics!

Ennis' Punisher is terrific btw.

I think a lot of it is a generational thing. Most of the big Marvel characters are from the 60s & 70s, where as the big DC guys seem to be older on the whole.

Like I say, of the "mainstream" DC characters Batman is the only interesting one. Honestly I think it could be a cultural thing. Almost nobody in the UK that I've spoken to prefers DC over Marvel.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#9 Posted : 03 March 2012 12:15:15(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Yeah, well another thing I don't like is that most Marvel comics spread themselves amongst New York. I've never been a big fan of the Big Apple so the lack of creation of new cities really bugs me at times.

I'm an avid comic fan so I take a few things over others, and the art of the 80 - 90s Marvel era is part of what killed the publisher for me (Damn you Liefield) not to mention the Ultimate Imprint.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY