logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 04/02/4750 10:23:13(UTC) Roots  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2012 05:31:43(UTC)
Roots

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm a christian and in the past, I have doubted the existence of "god". I grew up as a christian mainly because I was brought up that way.... I doubted god for the most common reason... Because no one can see him.

But it's like every time I read the bible, something just feels so true about it. Everything it says just seems so real. Especially 'Revelations'. One of the main reasons why I believe in god today are because of 'Revelations'.... Revelations scares the crap out of me because it talks about how during the end of times disaster, wars, poverty, disease, and stuff like that occurs.. It's a lot to explain but you'll have to read it yourself... But a lot of what it says in the bible, it's really happening now...

Also, do you think the world as we know it will come to an end this year? I'm nervous, yet not nervous at the same time.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2012 05:33:36(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Well. Christianity and the Mayan thing have nothing to do with each other. So, if the Book of Revelations (saying this as a Lutheran) is correct, than December 21st will be the worst day ever. It's 4 days until Christmas gifts!
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Mckenzie-  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2012 05:52:16(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
I don't really care for it nor believe it. Mayans were humans just like all us, they didn't have foresight or super powers. People look into things too much, with the whole end of their calender thing.

I red somewhere last month that it was all proved to be false anyway. Doesn't bother me either way.
retired x
Offline Gildermershina  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2012 06:08:23(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Roots Go to Quoted Post
I'm a christian and in the past, I have doubted the existence of "god". I grew up as a christian mainly because I was brought up that way.... I doubted god for the most common reason... Because no one can see him.

But it's like every time I read the bible, something just feels so true about it. Everything it says just seems so real. Especially 'Revelations'. One of the main reasons why I believe in god today are because of 'Revelations'.... Revelations scares the crap out of me because it talks about how during the end of times disaster, wars, poverty, disease, and stuff like that occurs.. It's a lot to explain but you'll have to read it yourself... But a lot of what it says in the bible, it's really happening now...

Also, do you think the world as we know it will come to an end this year? I'm nervous, yet not nervous at the same time.

First thing you need to understand is that disaster, wars, poverty disease, and all of the things you mention, have been happening to people for as long as there have been people. When the Black Death happened in the 14th century, I'm sure people thought that was the end of the world. World War 1 probably looked seemed the end of the world. I bet Hiroshima and Nagasaki seemed pretty apocalyptic to a lot of people. The Bay of Pigs as well... It has ALWAYS looked like the end of the world to some people.

If the Book of Revelation comes true, the faithful are supposed to be saved though so not to worry...

Seriously though, I think you should re-read the Book of Revelation.

As regards the Mayan thing, the Long Count Mayan calendar that supposedly places the end of time in December this year, is actually more like the rolling over of numbers on an odometer. The Mayans actually believed that they would change one of the numbers in their dating system. In fact, according to their calendar, this happened every 394 years. So you know, it could have been 1618, or it could be 2406 or maybe 12650.

That said, Davy Jones just died, maybe if Dolenz, Tork and Nesmith all buy the farm by Christmas it just might be the end of the world after all.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked Gildermershina for this useful post.
Roots on 05/03/2012(UTC), erich hess on 06/03/2012(UTC), kandii on 17/09/2013(UTC)
Offline DistortedAudio  
#5 Posted : 05 March 2012 06:12:41(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Roots Go to Quoted Post

First thing you need to understand is that disaster, wars, poverty disease, and all of the things you mention, have been happening to people for as long as there have been people. When the Black Death happened in the 14th century, I'm sure people thought that was the end of the world. World War 1 probably looked seemed the end of the world. I bet Hiroshima and Nagasaki seemed pretty apocalyptic to a lot of people. The Bay of Pigs as well... It has ALWAYS looked like the end of the world to some people.

If the Book of Revelation comes true, the faithful are supposed to be saved though so not to worry...

Seriously though, I think you should re-read the Book of Revelation.

As regards the Mayan thing, the Long Count Mayan calendar that supposedly places the end of time in December this year, is actually more like the rolling over of numbers on an odometer. The Mayans actually believed that they would change one of the numbers in their dating system. In fact, according to their calendar, this happened every 394 years. So you know, it could have been 1618, or it could be 2406 or maybe 12650.

That said, Davy Jones just died, maybe if Dolenz, Tork and Nesmith all buy the farm by Christmas it just might be the end of the world after all.

That was way more upbeat than what I thought you were going to post.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2012 06:38:57(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Ooh, another person claiming to be a Christian, go figure.

I don't believe in the whole 'The world is ending on December 21st' at all. I've never seen proof and no one knows when the world will end except God, not some old civilization which doesn't even exist anymore.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
kandii on 17/09/2013(UTC)
Offline Gildermershina  
#7 Posted : 05 March 2012 06:43:32(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post

I don't believe in the whole 'The world is ending on December 21st' at all. I've never seen proof and no one knows when the world will end except God, not some old civilization which doesn't even exist anymore.

So in a sense, the world ended for them, right?
thanks 1 user thanked Gildermershina for this useful post.
#8 Posted : 05 March 2012 06:46:55(UTC)
Roots

Man

I agree. And yes, I do believe the faithful ones will be saved. That's why I try to love everyone, and to not judge based on the past, or anything like that. But I not only do that because it's in the bible, just because it's the right thing to do.

But anyways, back to the Mayans now, those people were so smart that they made some sort alignment with the sun..... I doubt they were wrong.... But we'll see.

This is something I got off of google.

"In Mayan cities, ceremonial buildings were precisely aligned with compass directions. At the spring and fall equinoxes, for example, the Sun might be made to cast its rays through small openings in a Maya observatory, lighting up the observatory's interior walls. Other alignments might relate to the exteriors of temples and palaces."
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#9 Posted : 05 March 2012 06:48:36(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post

So in a sense, the world ended for them, right?

Yes, but they weren't as advanced and smart like we are. Well...some of us anyway. Not really wanting to brush on my history right now buuuuut, they either died out because they were conquered by someone else or they had too many diseases and stuff. I find it ridiculous people are buying into this theory and think all hell will literally break loose on that day :/
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

#10 Posted : 05 March 2012 06:50:44(UTC)
Roots

Man

I agree with RoseJapanFan, only God knows. But it just kinds of freak me out.
thanks 2 users thanked Roots for this useful post.
kandii on 17/09/2013(UTC), vodami92 on 11/01/2018(UTC)
Offline forkboy  
#11 Posted : 05 March 2012 08:42:45(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Rapture mentals are just the worst. Look, the world isn't ending this year, or this century or this millenium. The world will end some 4-6 billion years from now when the sun expands greatly in size & either engulfs the earth entirely or at least comes so close to it so to basically it into a barren, desolate wasteland, a bigger Mercury.

Homo Sapiens as we know it will be long gone by that point, having evolved into new species. Maybe our ancestors will all die when the earth dies, maybe they will be leaving on other planets orbiting other stars. Maybe we'll have just blown ourselves the fuck up. But the earth itself? We do know how that will go.
Offline Gildermershina  
#12 Posted : 05 March 2012 09:56:14(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
Maybe our ancestors will all die when the earth dies,

Not to be a dick or anything, but I assume you meant descendants.
Offline Rincewind  
#13 Posted : 05 March 2012 20:32:52(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)

you dick.....

and on the lines of building alignment towards the sun etc the Mayans were not the only ones to do this, so did the ancient Britons, Anatolians etc etc etc just because you can align a building does not mean you can predict the end of the world... And i hope you don't eat shellfish because if you have, your not being raptured.... oh or eating meat on a friday..... because according to the bible thats against god's wishes and you aint going to be raptured if you do!!

my point being, the bible has a lot of good things in it, and is essentially a message to be nice to each other... but you shouldn't believe everything in it, or take it all without questioning it.... Or was the world really made in 6 days and is only 6000 years old?
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline forkboy  
#14 Posted : 06 March 2012 00:43:32(UTC)
forkboy

Yes, that's the fella.
Offline Gildermershina  
#15 Posted : 06 March 2012 02:20:27(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post

you dick.....

and on the lines of building alignment towards the sun etc the Mayans were not the only ones to do this, so did the ancient Britons, Anatolians etc etc etc just because you can align a building does not mean you can predict the end of the world... And i hope you don't eat shellfish because if you have, your not being raptured.... oh or eating meat on a friday..... because according to the bible thats against god's wishes and you aint going to be raptured if you do!!

my point being, the bible has a lot of good things in it, and is essentially a message to be nice to each other... but you shouldn't believe everything in it, or take it all without questioning it.... Or was the world really made in 6 days and is only 6000 years old?

Technically in the New Testament, Jesus is like "hey, you know all those dumb rules in the book of laws? Yeah, I think they're mostly pretty silly. You don't need to do all that."
asdf on 06/03/2012(UTC)
Offline forkboy  
#16 Posted : 06 March 2012 04:50:09(UTC)
forkboy

And yet they still hate the gays. It's almost as if most of them haven't read their holy books...
Offline asdf  
#17 Posted : 06 March 2012 05:09:52(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Nobody knows when the end of the world is. Personally, I hope the book of Revelations comes to pass in my lifetime. However, I'm pretty sure, and it is my beliefs that the book of revelations is actually telling the story of what will happen to every indiviual when they die. It's all very symbolic.

And yea, all those don't eat meat on Friday rules got tossed out.

And no, I don't hate gays.

Christianity is confusing, but you have to remember that a lot of things that were said were parables, and a lot of things were also symbolic rather than literal. The earth being 6000 years old and being created in 6 days, was it 6 days in our time, or 6 days in God time? God experiences time and place in a very different way than we do. In fact, time itself is actually a product of mans imagination, derived from the situation we are living in. God, in his alternate universe (so to speak) does not experience the passing of time like we do. Those 6 days for him, could have been 600000 years for him. The 6000 years the world has existed, could also be different than how we think of 6000 years.

The end of the world is not something to be scared of, if you are a faithful Christian who believes in the salvation through Jesus Christ. A lot of terrible things are going to happen, but if we are the humans who must endure it, we have to look at the promise of the glory days with Jesus.

Fact is, we're probably not going to endure it anyway. So no big deal.

And that Mayan crap, meh...
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
thanks 2 users thanked asdf for this useful post.
Roots on 06/03/2012(UTC), kandii on 17/09/2013(UTC)
Offline forkboy  
#18 Posted : 06 March 2012 07:46:18(UTC)
forkboy

I've actually just found out how the world will end.

This man
DEATH
Will soccer kick the earth, & it will die a horrible, bloody death.

Edited by user 06 March 2012 07:47:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Andre Gandra  
#19 Posted : 29 August 2013 22:31:46(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
I see God in every kind gesture a person does to another living being in the planet. The world won't end, earth will end someday in a long long future, and by the way I'm not a Christian, but I respect other people's opinions ;) (PS I'm trying to talk about my own opinions in the forums, that's why recently I'm resurrecting threads like this one)
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
Offline kandii  
#20 Posted : 17 September 2013 07:55:59(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Originally Posted by: asdf Go to Quoted Post
Nobody knows when the end of the world is. Personally, I hope the book of Revelations comes to pass in my lifetime. However, I'm pretty sure, and it is my beliefs that the book of revelations is actually telling the story of what will happen to every indiviual when they die. It's all very symbolic.

And yea, all those don't eat meat on Friday rules got tossed out.

And no, I don't hate gays.

Christianity is confusing, but you have to remember that a lot of things that were said were parables, and a lot of things were also symbolic rather than literal. The earth being 6000 years old and being created in 6 days, was it 6 days in our time, or 6 days in God time? God experiences time and place in a very different way than we do. In fact, time itself is actually a product of mans imagination, derived from the situation we are living in. God, in his alternate universe (so to speak) does not experience the passing of time like we do. Those 6 days for him, could have been 600000 years for him. The 6000 years the world has existed, could also be different than how we think of 6000 years.

The end of the world is not something to be scared of, if you are a faithful Christian who believes in the salvation through Jesus Christ. A lot of terrible things are going to happen, but if we are the humans who must endure it, we have to look at the promise of the glory days with Jesus.

Fact is, we're probably not going to endure it anyway. So no big deal.

And that Mayan crap, meh...

Preach on it ! Sorry ._. That needed to be said ...

Here's the thing with me and Christianity . Lately , I've been having this ' epiphany ' of some sort about our world and religion . I've noticed a lot of fishy things in not only Christianity , but even other God/Jesus based religions and I just think it's better to claim myself a person who puts my trust and prayer into God and also believes that he sent his only son to die on a cross for me so that I can be saved . That way I wont be connected to the corruptness that Christianity gets involved with from time to time . Like celebrating the death of Jesus Christ in shade ( That's pretty much how I see Easter ) and celebrating Jesus' birthday on the wrong date , which happens to be the date of a Roman holiday where ungodly things were done when celebrated ( I forgot which one ) and wearing crosses which pretty much symbolizes Jesus' murder ( I look at it that way because I know that if my mom was shot for me , I wouldn't walk around wearing the gun ... ) oh and I can't forget about how a lot of times Christianity seems to give Jesus so much praise and glory that you would forget to give some to the one who made him ... and Jesus even stated that that isn't what he wants in the Bible . So yea ... I've began to separate myself from all of that .

But my thing about the Bible is , I'm sure the Bible was passed down from probably word of mouth and that it has went through all types of translation processes , that without even having to go into conspiracies and what not , it's common sense that there might be somethings that were mixed up , somethings that were forgotten and some things that were made up out of the blue . That's why I agree , you should trust the Bible , but not every little detail . Lately I've been wanting to try reading the Holy Bible , the Holy Qur'an and the Torah . Idk why , just probably so I can match up my results of what I get in all 3 as to what is true and what was left out in the other or whatever .

Oh and yes I believe there will be a rapture for all of the children that found their way in God and everyone else will be left on this earth in the hands of Satan and his devils . Then after that there will be judgement day and it's Heaven or Hell for everybody . But no man will ever be able to predict the date , so I don't go all crazy when everyone talks about the world ending . I don't think it's gonna be an exact ' time ' , but more of when the world is ' ready ' , if you follow what I'm saying . Like how the bible explains a lot of what will happen right before the rapture , I think it's saying what has to come before the rapture . And so , we probably are in the last days or coming close to being ' ready ' . The world is already at a mass point of corruptness .

Yea so , that's just a little snippet of what I believe .