logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Aj  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2012 21:33:46(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I'm writing a Sci-Fi story and I've already got a rough premise about what its going to be about. But I want it to be realistic and at least based roughly on theories and science. Creativity is fine because humans aren't the ones who've designed all the tech, so as long as you use a theory that perhaps needs a component we don't have (for example a type of fuel that would then allow the theory to work).

I'm going to use an idea based on an Alcubierre drive for the space travel, and I think it fit's quite well. However (I know this might seem petty) but I'm concerned as to how spaceships actually land in sci-fi? I don't want big old runways like we have nowadays I'd much prefer docking stations like (for those of you who have played it) they have in Mass Effect and the way ships land in Star Wars. It seems they both work on some kind of thruster, but surely a thruster capable of hovering a spaceship large enough to fly around space would blast away anything it's landing on? So I considered maybe heat pads for the ships to land on, but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas? Could be based on other sci-fi things.

I know this seems like I'm lacking creativity! But I know that loads of you are pretty clued up when it comes to science and sci-fi so thought I'd stop here for some advice.
Offline Gildermershina  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2012 04:52:56(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Aj Go to Quoted Post
I'm writing a Sci-Fi story and I've already got a rough premise about what its going to be about. But I want it to be realistic and at least based roughly on theories and science. Creativity is fine because humans aren't the ones who've designed all the tech, so as long as you use a theory that perhaps needs a component we don't have (for example a type of fuel that would then allow the theory to work).

I'm going to use an idea based on an Alcubierre drive for the space travel, and I think it fit's quite well. However (I know this might seem petty) but I'm concerned as to how spaceships actually land in sci-fi? I don't want big old runways like we have nowadays I'd much prefer docking stations like (for those of you who have played it) they have in Mass Effect and the way ships land in Star Wars. It seems they both work on some kind of thruster, but surely a thruster capable of hovering a spaceship large enough to fly around space would blast away anything it's landing on? So I considered maybe heat pads for the ships to land on, but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas? Could be based on other sci-fi things.

I know this seems like I'm lacking creativity! But I know that loads of you are pretty clued up when it comes to science and sci-fi so thought I'd stop here for some advice.

I think the easy answer, is to have the big ships being purely space-bound. They never land, and instead dock at orbital stations, and smaller ships shuttle to and from the surface. The problem is getting enough fuel to get those massive ships out of an Earth-like gravitational pull. Smaller ships though, I guess they need two engines, a rocket engine for getting to space, and a VTOL style system for atmospheric flight and landing. Something similar to a V-22 Osprey. It would be relatively simple to do this, because the Space Shuttles were already capable of regular flight on re-entry. So assuming the landing ship were not much larger than a modern VTOL craft, it would be simple enough to land on a specified pad much like a large military helicopter.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Rincewind  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2012 05:22:53(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Aj Go to Quoted Post

I think the easy answer, is to have the big ships being purely space-bound. They never land, and instead dock at orbital stations, and smaller ships shuttle to and from the surface. The problem is getting enough fuel to get those massive ships out of an Earth-like gravitational pull. Smaller ships though, I guess they need two engines, a rocket engine for getting to space, and a VTOL style system for atmospheric flight and landing. Something similar to a V-22 Osprey. It would be relatively simple to do this, because the Space Shuttles were already capable of regular flight on re-entry. So assuming the landing ship were not much larger than a modern VTOL craft, it would be simple enough to land on a specified pad much like a large military helicopter.

i was going to say this..... but then i was beaten to it by Guildy.... other option would be an orbital station with a surface to space elevator system ala 3001 the final space oddyssey by arthur c clarke
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Rincewind  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2012 05:32:27(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

you might also find this helpfull and maybe even give you a few idea's

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ience_in_science_fiction
and im just like:
Offline Gildermershina  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2012 06:17:42(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

SPACE ELEVATOR. That's the way to go.
Offline Rincewind  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2012 06:45:05(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

if arthur c clarke used it, you know it must be good!!
and im just like:
Offline Rincewind  
#7 Posted : 08 April 2012 07:05:32(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

other big problem of bigger Spaceships is would their internal structures be able to hold together in atmosphere, as the bigger something is the greater the chance of it breaking up.....
and im just like:
Offline Gildermershina  
#8 Posted : 08 April 2012 08:53:48(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Personally, going to deep into that stuff kind of ruins the point of sci-fi. The science has to be plausible and within its own set of rules, but if you go too far down the technology route, you sacrifice the story part of it. I know myself, I've had a kind of sci-fi/fantasy world stuck in my head more or less since high school that's interesting in lots of ways, but I don't really have a good story to tell in it.
Offline Rincewind  
#9 Posted : 08 April 2012 17:34:29(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

meh thats the bit i like best i suppose..... i think it was another Arthur c Clarke (yes i am a big fan) book where people could no longer go back down onto earth simply because they had spent their whole lives in space and so their bodies and muscles were too fragile to be able to cope...

also big shout to steaphen donaldon and his gap series who does use the shuttle idea to get people to and from planets and space ships...
and im just like:
Offline Aj  
#10 Posted : 16 April 2012 04:13:24(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post
Personally, going to deep into that stuff kind of ruins the point of sci-fi. The science has to be plausible and within its own set of rules, but if you go too far down the technology route, you sacrifice the story part of it. I know myself, I've had a kind of sci-fi/fantasy world stuck in my head more or less since high school that's interesting in lots of ways, but I don't really have a good story to tell in it.

Thanks for the ideas, and you Rincewind. I'll post any updates on it I have to tell you all on here.

About the above post ^ I agree to an extent but I think if it's balanced with enough imagination then a sci-fi 'universe' could have loads and loads of stories in it. I think having a hard sci-fi base where I know the rules of my universe and can at least justify it to myself how small and big things work, then it in itself would help the storyline go on. Coming up with the right story to tell in it eventually comes I think, but after you have the foundations for the story to come from there.
Offline Gildermershina  
#11 Posted : 16 April 2012 05:56:42(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

In my fantasy world, there weren't monsters, or magic, or dragons, it was just men, and various animals. Unfortunately that kind of lacks a hook to it. Now, Game of Thrones tries that kind of hard fantasy thing, but it has dragons, and supernatural beings of various sorts, in amongst the gritty realism. In a sense I think most fantasy or sci-fi has to have at least one element of "magic" or at least of something beyond explanation. A little spark of the divine if you will. At least most of the examples I have come across have it.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#12 Posted : 16 April 2012 06:10:08(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
If we're going past just the Sci-Fi realm and into pure fantasy, I'd recommend Dwarf Fortress has a great assistant for generating ideas, especially Legends mode.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY