logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline deadserious  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2012 10:54:31(UTC)
deadserious

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 314 post(s)
Quote:
India successfully test-launched a long-range missile on Thursday that would give it the capability for the first time of sending a nuclear warhead as far as China’s capital, Beijing, officials said. Officials and defense experts said the Agni-V missile marks a significant improvement in India’s nuclear-deterrent capability and was clearly aimed at bolstering its defense against neighboring China. It also puts India on the cusp of a small group of nations with intercontinental nuclear weapons capabilities and burnishes its credentials as a global heavyweight.

Washington Post: India tests missile capable of reaching Beijing

Think about it, all these countries especially in Asia having an arms race, on going conflicts on ideologies, and boundaries. I feel like its only a matter of time before something gets triggered and there's a major war. And if i'm not mistaken, North and South Korea are technically still at war. Just recently India launched a high range nuclear missile, that could go as far as a major city in China. With that is joins the handful of countries that have a long range missile (Russia, China, US, France & UK). Add to the fact that India and Pakistan are in conflict over land in Kashmir, so this can get serious.

AimeryNaomiGiselleELMNT
Offline DistortedAudio  
#2 Posted : 20 April 2012 11:10:19(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
In all honesty pretty far. We're all scared off each other's capabilities, making it a virtual stalemate. Also the chances of India shooting a missile in China are equally distant.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
thanks 1 user thanked DistortedAudio for this useful post.
Mckenzie- on 21/04/2012(UTC)
Offline forkboy  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2012 21:11:34(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
If Russia, China & America managed to get through the Cold War without blowing each other to fuck then I'm fairly confident that world war 3 is not going to happen any time soon. Dinnae fret, even if it does start tomorrow there's bugger all you & I can do to stop it.
Offline Mckenzie-  
#4 Posted : 21 April 2012 03:01:39(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
I can't see another World War for the foreseeable future. As DistortedAudio said, we are all too afraid of each other to take the next step. There will always be the odd cicvil war or unrest in a country but I don't see a world war of such anytime soon. Unless other countries get involved and tangled up in what can only be a matter of time before both countries go to war but I think for now, DEFCON 1 is a long time away.
retired x
Offline Aj  
#5 Posted : 03 May 2012 05:11:17(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
If Russia, China & America managed to get through the Cold War without blowing each other to fuck then I'm fairly confident that world war 3 is not going to happen any time soon. Dinnae fret, even if it does start tomorrow there's bugger all you & I can do to stop it.

I'd second this, but also add to the fact that during the Cold War (at least early Cold War) communication was nothing like today. Nowadays if an issue arose between two Nuclear powers then they could just call them up and chat about it over the phone. Communication can stop anything happening, including World War 3. I think the planet would have been collectively choked under our own shit before we start blowing each other up. Ironically that's one thing we are all working towards together.
Offline Rincewind  
#6 Posted : 03 May 2012 05:52:45(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
depends if we switch from fossil fuels or not... Right now the majority of the near cold wars/ actual wars are energy related.. and those that aren't, are ideological...

The problem for me are the Ideological conflicts, wether that be African warlords using child soldiers, or Isreali mossad agents gunning down palestinians. Pakistan and India have been in a tepid war for a long long time over Kashmir, and actual fighting has broken out there several times. Or look at Isreal and the rest of the middle east, there really can be no peace there because most of the states (including Isreal) are run along religious lines, which doesn't really allow for compromise, just look at Isreal threatening to bomb Iran just last year. Then there is the whole mess in Korea. All it really needs is one of those conflicts to flare up and drag in one or two allies, and it escalates..

With regard to the fuel reasoning, you only need to look at Russia using its natural resources to bully European countries, or the USA doing the same in South America or the Middle East. As the resources become more scarce, countries will either
a- become more desperate to secure their own supplies.
or
b- develop alternative technologies.

and since a is the easier of the two, thats my bet.
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Mt. Epic  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2012 16:55:09(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Given the current state of the economy, and the world resources being used at the rate that they are, I predict some sort of global war happening by the year 2050.

My Biology teacher from a while ago was pretty anti-corporate and such. He wasn't a hippy or anything, pretty typical late 20s, early 30s dude, but he showed us a lot of clips and reports about the world's resources being used and farming methods and such. I was very intrigued by it, and read more about it. The rate we're using our resources would require use about 5 other planet earths to maintain sustainability. Gas is a perfect example.

I think once the world reaches such a carrying capacity, with the massively rising population rates as they are, I don't think 2050 is a bad number to throw out there that some violence would erupt. Obviously, ideological reasons would come into effect as well, perhaps as reasons why to attack a specific country. Kinda how the US attacked the Middle East not necessarily because of the war on terrorism, but for resources. Or how the Soviet Union attacked Iran early in the Cold War for resources, and used the excuse of building up a bigger defensive perimeter in case those "evil, wicked Capitalist Westerners" ever attacked.

Edited by user 20 June 2012 16:57:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!