logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DistortedAudio  
#21 Posted : 23 May 2012 06:45:45(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
May I be the first to say, not it.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#22 Posted : 23 May 2012 06:52:35(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
You won't even give it a try? I think I'd like to give it a go, but I'd also like to give being an actual player a go too.

If no one else is willing to volunteer then I'll DM our first game of D&D. But any 2nd game that happens, I'd like a chance to create a character & stab some fuckers!
Offline DistortedAudio  
#23 Posted : 23 May 2012 06:59:28(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Yeah, I'll go for the 2nd Test Game as DM.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#24 Posted : 23 May 2012 07:38:15(UTC)
forkboy

Awesome. Progress.

So as it stands our likely time is looking like either a weekend or a Wed/Thurs. Hah, that's narrowed it down some.

I guess the next question is are there any objections from prospective players with D&D? If I'm gonna DM it I'd like to get familiar with the scenario we're gonna play with. And I'll also work out something about character creation. IE the details & so on. Anyone else wanting to contribute ideas, feel free. I'm as clueless as you here. If I sound assertive it's only because the prospect of playing an RPG makes me a little excited, like a small child.

The QuickStartRules that I link to in the OP has 6 templates for characters at the bottom: Dwarven fighter, Halfling Rogue, Human wizard, Half-Elf Cleric, Dragonborn Paladin & Tiefling Warlord. But part of the fun of these things are making your own adventurer, so if you have access to the D&D 4th Edition Players Handbook then creating a character shouldn't be much of a problem.

But for the record & to get your creative juices flowing, according to Wikipedia in the main players book there are 10 races to choose from (plus another bollockload from other books but lets not complicate things). These are Dragonborn (a race descended from a dragon god, like the name suggests), Dwarves, Eladrin (living in the Feywild, a relative of the elves), Elves, Gnomes (cheery, social little dudes), Halflings (hobbits basically, only seemingly less gluttonous, more roguish), Half-Elves (half elf, half human), Half-Orc (Yeah...), Human, Tiefling (some sort of daemony race I think, have a bad rep but can be perfectly lovely). There's also somewhere between 8 & 26 classes (depending on what books you have available) but honestly, if you have the book or access to the book then you know what they are. If you don't & wanna know what the classes of the above pre-made characters mean then Wikipedia has you covered: http://en.wikipedia.org/...8Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29

Edited by user 23 May 2012 07:43:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline DistortedAudio  
#25 Posted : 23 May 2012 07:44:36(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

For extra reference, check this out, completely free rulebook online:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#26 Posted : 23 May 2012 08:23:59(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I would say count me in, but my work hours are an issue.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#27 Posted : 23 May 2012 08:43:59(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post
I would say count me in, but my work hours are an issue.

Is it still Tuesday through Saturday you work? How's Sunday for you? To be honest it doesn't even have to be weekly neccessarily.

I don't think it will be possible to get a time that everybody who wants to can play. So it's what's convenient/suitable for the most people that we'll go with basically. So if you think you might be interest, just say when you would be available if ever & we'll see what we're left with when everyone interested has said when they can play.
Offline Rincewind  
#28 Posted : 23 May 2012 08:46:32(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
i would say that because of the hours i work, it is very unlikely the hours chosen will suit me, but i would still like to do it on the off chance
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline genocidal king  
#29 Posted : 23 May 2012 08:51:23(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
I work a pretty standard working week. So Monday to Friday after say 6PM and weekends are good for me, although I do go out most Saturdays. Sundays are pretty good for me though as I rarely do anything.
UserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#30 Posted : 23 May 2012 08:52:07(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

To be honest any time that's not between 7AM - 2PM on Weekdays is great for me, except on Sunday. This is EST for me, and on Sundays 1PM on is great.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline DistortedAudio  
#31 Posted : 23 May 2012 08:54:21(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Also, lets get dem CS's straightened out.

I choose the Dorf Fighter.

http://www.wizards.com/d...iles/QuickStartRules.pdf
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#32 Posted : 23 May 2012 08:54:26(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
To be honest any time that's not between 7AM - 2PM on Weekdays is great for me, except on Sunday. This is EST for me, and on Sundays 1PM on is great.

As in you'd be available from Sundays at 1? Which would be 6pm GMT, just for my own notes.
Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
Also, lets get dem CS's straightened out.

I choose the Dorf Fighter.

http://www.wizards.com/d...iles/QuickStartRules.pdf

Hah, I admire your keenness, but lets hang about to see who can play first. Think that has to be the priority

Edited by user 23 May 2012 08:55:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline DistortedAudio  
#33 Posted : 23 May 2012 08:57:14(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Yeah, 6PM GMT.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#34 Posted : 24 May 2012 02:38:16(UTC)
forkboy

So. Uh. A) anymore interest folks? B) I've been reading up on the 2 games suggested & to be honest, I'm spying a flaw in using D&D. It's quite numbers based, ie you can move X number of squares, it's really meant to be played on a grid board. Now there are apps that can replicate this but I've spent more time than I'd like to have with a couple of them & am frankly bewildered & out of my depth. Now I can handle taking us through a premade campaign where it picks how many monsters there & what treasure you get & where next, I can. But creating that campaign in something like Maptools seems like a hellish task. And I can't find a working version of the campaign unfortunately.

So the reason I initially seemed keen on the World of Darkness stuff is it'a less mechanical, things like where everyone is is more abstract, it was designed that way. So all you need is all the players in the same chatroom or whatever & you can game. D&D seems to need a bit more to it. Any ideas?
Offline DistortedAudio  
#35 Posted : 24 May 2012 05:00:16(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

We can go with Hunter then, it'd be fun to hunt stuff down then kill it. Just tell me the character archetypes and so on and I am still game.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#36 Posted : 24 May 2012 05:29:15(UTC)
forkboy

Right, there's 5 possible characters for the scenario I have downloaded. With some editing I should be able to post up a link to a PDF which has the rules & the character info without any of the spoilery stuff. Which you'd obviously rather avoid unless you are the DM.

Might take a bit of time to do that though

Edited by user 24 May 2012 05:34:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline forkboy  
#37 Posted : 24 May 2012 07:18:12(UTC)
forkboy

Alright, here's an edited version of the Quickstart for The Hunt test game of The Hunter. Start of it is about the rules, then at the end are all the characters. Plus a spare character sheet, not much use without the player handbook tho.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v8mc9o

I'll need to grab some details & do a summary of where the story will begin. But I'd like to read the campaign through first before doing anything much. But the game is set in Philadelphia (though I don't think location is massively important to be honest), & the 5 characters frature 3 police officers (Lt Vince Gabreski, Sgt Andrea Taggart, Det Jack Dean), part of the mayor's Special Case Unit for dealing with gang problems in the city. Only they seem to be just a little dirty. Another is the head of Siete Muertos (Raimundo Guttierez), one gang who have a favourable deal going with the SCU. Finally you have a local newspaper reporter (Karl Rivers), bit of a conspiracy theory nutter, who has a problem with the head of the SCU.

Infact lemme just C&P direct from the book here on The Characters. I'd have put this in the PDF but it also reveals some plot details on the same page. Shame.

Quote:
The characters presented in this scenario are all new to the Vigil, having encountered the supernatural for the first time less than a week before the events of the first scene. The three detectives (along with their now-deceased partner, Darnell Waters) all belong to the Special Cases Unit, a small police unit created by the Mayor’s Office with the stated goal of stemming the rapid growth of Philadelphia’s gangs. The unit worked hard to clean up the streets, but threats and procedural shortcuts soon turned into bribes and protection schemes, and they strayed from the straight and narrow. The detectives became involved with Raimundo and the Siete Muertos’ drug trafficking, but their carelessness eventually drew the attention of the Internal Affairs Bureau, leading to both an investigation and Agent Carver’s interest in the team.
While the SCU (along with Raimundo and a couple of his soldiers) followed Carver’s tip about strange activity in a downtown warehouse, they were attacked by flesh-eating monsters called ghouls. Waters was taken by the ghouls as they made their escape into the sewers beneath the warehouse, and the cell vowed to track down the monsters and save him. Gabreski started by reaching out to Karl, an old media contact of his, and with his help they located the ghouls’ lairs.
The cell wiped out nearly all the ghouls, but was not in time to save Darnell from a grisly fate. Galvanized by their exposure to the secret world around them, the characters accepted Carver’s offer of conditional membership in Task Force: VALKYRIE. Now, not even a week after their fight with the ghouls, the IAB investigation has been shelved and they are tasked with looking into a gruesome (and clearly occult) murder.

Two big players in the background of all this are the precinct Captain, William Johnson, who dislike Gabruski's methods & his lack of accountability. He was looking forward to that IAB investigation. Then there's Agent Carver of Team Force: VALKYRIE (there's a brief blarb about them in the rule section, but basically a Men in Black type group who deal with the supernatural shit), almost certainly responsible for the end of the investigation being dropped. They know things though. He wants to know if he's recruited the right people.

First scene starts out just arriving at the crime scene of this mysterious occult murder

Edited by user 24 May 2012 07:53:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline genocidal king  
#38 Posted : 24 May 2012 07:41:13(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Looks really awesome. I'm looking forward to getting going on this.
UserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#39 Posted : 24 May 2012 08:03:30(UTC)
forkboy

Yeah, reading through the material is pretty interesting. Can see a lot of fascinating potential. There's also a follow on adventure (I guess you could call it) that's also free-to-play, called One Year Later. If there's any sustained interest. It...well...takes up one year later with the same characters, oddly enough

Of course, people might want to try something different, or role their own characters.

Edited by user 24 May 2012 09:48:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline DistortedAudio  
#40 Posted : 24 May 2012 09:27:23(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

I'll read over the file in a few.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY