logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline forkboy  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2012 02:42:08(UTC)
forkboy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Fuck off, the thread title is rubbish because I almost never create threads, OK? Anyway...

So this is where we can discuss the planned attempt to run a game of well...something. D&D probably?

Since this is the first post in the thread it should continue useful information but I'm blanking right now. Hmmm. This is why I don't create threads, just contribute to other peoples. Think Cameron, think.

What Is The Thread For?
Well basically, it's tabletop roleplaying, primarily different from the roleplaying done on this forum until now as they feature dice rolls, stats & all that sort of thing. None of us here (so far at least) are experts, we're all total rookies at this, so don't feel intimidated. If you've ever had an interest in tabletop RPGs then this is a chance to give them a try! And even if you haven't considered it before, hey, you got anything better to do? DON'T LIE TO ME!

People Who've Shown An Interest
AJ
Distorted Audio
Forkboy
Genocidal King
Gildermershina
Rincewind

Prefered Time To Play (In GMT Unless More Yanks Sign Up)
Disturbed Audio - Weekends
Forkboy - Whenever
Genocidal King - Weekday evenings, Sunday
Rincewind - Wednesday, Thursday

Potential Games To Test
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition: Quick Start Rules & a couple campaigns to test it out
Hunter: The Vigil: Have to register for the PDF but I can probably do that & then upload the PDF elsewhere
Vampire: The Requiem: Again, have to register for the PDF, there are 2 stories to try out for free here

Man I hate the way links display on this forum. OK, guys, the bits after the colon are links! Just in case that's not clear. Well, the 2 WW games I linked it's after the 2nd colon. But you get the idea.

If you have anything else to suggest then share a link & I'll add them to the list.

Bit of info on the 3 things listed so far, Dungeons & Dragons is obviously the best known of these games, you go questing through dungeons, facing evil beasties, dodge past traps & errr other stuff I don't know stop looking at me like that I'm a newbie too. It's obviously set in a classic fantasy world.
Hunter: The Vigil is a game set in a modern city only one where there's all manner of supernatural creepies going around, ghosts, vampires, werewolves, mages, Frankenstein's-monster-type-beasts, all manner of spooky shit. Only you are just a bunch of normal people. So if you've ever seen Angel then think Charles Gunn's gang of vampire killers. No superpowers or anything exciting like that. Just your wits. And whatever weapons you can get your hands on. And you decide you wanna kill you some of these terrors with your friends, for some reason or another.
Vampire: The Requiem is set in the same world as Hunter, only as the name suggests, you're a vampire. So you swan around doing vampirey shit. You can be a Twilight vamp (that'll be Rince!), an Anne Rice vamp, or you can break the cliches if you so choose, be a redneck vampire or whatever. I hope you get the vague idea.

Anyway, lets open the floor to ideas, & discussion.

The Votes For What To Play
Dungeons & Dragons - DistortedAudio
Hunter - Forkboy
Vampire -
Others - Rincewind?

Edited by user 23 May 2012 09:10:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline DistortedAudio  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2012 02:43:43(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Vampires are lame, I vote for D&D since we could do a few campaigns, or Hunter.

We should discuss the following though mate:

Character Sheets.
Good Days to Run it.
Who'll DM/Storytell
Chat Client to Use.

Also the Anne Rice comment reminded me of something from a book I read:
"This is sort of like a Lovecraftian situation, although it's more Anne Rice now that you're here John...because you're gay."

Edited by user 23 May 2012 02:44:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2012 02:51:20(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
Vampires are lame, I vote for D&D since we could do a few campaigns, or Hunter.

We should discuss the following though mate:

Character Sheets.
Good Days to Run it.
Who'll DM/Storytell
Chat Client to Use.

Oh yeah, these are all things that deffo need to be talked about. I just wanted to get the thread up & going so we could do some discussion on the game. And for the record, Vampires ain't always been lame man, go watch Nosferatu! Or for that matter, yo, massive Buffy/Angel fanboy here 8-) The current fad for Vampires is a bit girly for sure but hey, it sells, & I don't wanna be one of those people arguing about "real" zombies, know what I mean? But yeah, I'm actually with you. Front all I've read I really dig the Hunter concept, & I also think D&D is a classic for a reason so they are my personal prefered options. Just giving people the choice.

Time it'll run is an important one. Think the first big question is timezones. I dunno where DA is, but GK, Rince & myself are all in the GMT timezone. So I would assume that would be the most convenient one for the majority. Depends how many others seem interested in giving it a go. I'm pretty flexible, really the only times I wouldn't be available for absolute are Thursday mornings when I sign on, but I doubt many people will be wanting to play then! So that aside, really I'm game for fitting it in when it suits the majority the best.

As far as character sheets go, it depends on the game we go for. The D&D Quickstart has 6 preset characters, but if people fancy creating there own then I'm not sure that will be a problem. Had a check & Hunter also has 5 presets to choose from, though again it's up to the player if they wanna go for their own character.

It'd be useful to see who would be willing to be the DM. I'll say that I'd happily give it a try, though with the caveat that if someone desperately wants to be the big godlike figure controlling us all then I'd be fine with playing an adventurer too. I think ideally I'm be an adventurer/player but really I just fancy having a game, & doing what's necessary to make that happen.

Edited by user 23 May 2012 03:42:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline DistortedAudio  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2012 03:13:22(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

I'm in 'merica. So I'm a few hours back, but I'm good on non-weekdays at whatever times.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Aj  
#5 Posted : 23 May 2012 03:22:45(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I'd be up for it, I think D&D sound's pretty cool but I'm open to all of them. Only reason I prefer the idea of D&D is because I'm going through a Skyrim fad haha. Only issue is I'm a bit inconsistent on this board, as someone who hasn't a clue how these things works are you allowed to join and leave as you wish? Like mid-flow? Probably a stupid question.
Offline forkboy  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2012 03:28:12(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: Aj Go to Quoted Post
I'd be up for it, I think D&D sound's pretty cool but I'm open to all of them. Only reason I prefer the idea of D&D is because I'm going through a Skyrim fad haha. Only issue is I'm a bit inconsistent on this board, as someone who hasn't a clue how these things works are you allowed to join and leave as you wish? Like mid-flow? Probably a stupid question.

I don't think any of the test campaigns are very long to be honest. But I'm sure we can come up with reasons for why someone isn't around at a certain time, it's certainly possible to have a work around that as far as I can tell.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#7 Posted : 23 May 2012 03:33:03(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

I was hoping to do an ongoing RP, that would end with like a cataclysmic event.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#8 Posted : 23 May 2012 03:41:49(UTC)
forkboy

I was hoping to do an ongoing RP, that would end with like a cataclysmic event.

Oh yeah, I'd definitely like to do something more long term eventually, but I figure the beginners campaigns are a good starting spot. Maybe even try out a couple of different ones to see what fits best before commiting to something. Plus a chance for whoever DMs it to get some practice & all that. Even giving multiple folk a chance to DM & see who it fits best.

Edited by user 23 May 2012 03:43:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rincewind  
#9 Posted : 23 May 2012 03:43:41(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
starting a new job next monday, my hours will be roughly midday to one in the morning, but two days off together, probably wednesday and thursday so one of those eavenings or nights would be cool for me.

twiglet vamp? fuck right off although it does remind me of an amusing picture i saw a while ago..
UserPostedImage

where was i? oh yes! simply from RPG's i played back in the day, ie balders gate I and II, i would go D&D, simply because it has the greatest range of options, although hunter also sounds cool...

vamps are a bit gay though, all about the bad ass warewolves
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline forkboy  
#10 Posted : 23 May 2012 03:50:08(UTC)
forkboy

I only just found out today that apparently Twilight vamps don't go on fire in the sunlight? COME ON! Even True Blood gets that bit!

Also, don't besmirch Twiglets. Best savoury snack in the land. Possibly.
Offline Rincewind  
#11 Posted : 23 May 2012 03:53:09(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

anything that tastes of marmite has to be good, but for some reason i couldn't remember how to spell twilight, so said twiglet instead.... go figure!
and im just like:
Offline forkboy  
#12 Posted : 23 May 2012 03:56:24(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post
anything that tastes of marmite has to be good, but for some reason i couldn't remember how to spell twilight, so said twiglet instead.... go figure!

It's a common way of mocking the Twilight franchise. Got to admit, I know nothing about it at all.
Offline Rincewind  
#13 Posted : 23 May 2012 03:57:43(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

to be honest, i hate anything classed as "dark fantasy" or "teen horror" by waterstones, because its garenteed to be a pile of shite aimed at 13 year old girls.
and im just like:
Offline erich hess  
#14 Posted : 23 May 2012 04:43:17(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17910 time(s) in 10405 post(s)
jeez. now that is an olde school idea! back in the day i used to do d&d,vampire the masquerade,and cyber punk..... i mean,no way.i was far too cool for that sort of thing.

good idea.i'd join up,but i havent the time.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline forkboy  
#15 Posted : 23 May 2012 04:45:40(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
jeez. now that is an olde school idea! back in the day i used to do d&d,vampire the masquerade,and cyber punk..... i mean,no way.i was far too cool for that sort of thing.

None the less, as a vet, any tips you can share with us? Did you ever act as Dungeon Master/storyteller?
Offline forkboy  
#16 Posted : 23 May 2012 04:51:57(UTC)
forkboy

On another tangent, I've also read some about Paranoia (click me) which sounds like it as the potential to be hilarious. A dystopian future where life is controlled by an insane, bureaucratic computer. I'm not suggesting we play it as I think we'd be better going with something else more basic to begin with, but just thought I'd write it down so I remember it if nothing else.
Offline erich hess  
#17 Posted : 23 May 2012 04:56:32(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17910 time(s) in 10405 post(s)
Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post

None the less, as a vet, any tips you can share with us? Did you ever act as Dungeon Master/storyteller?

sadly,no. my friend's cousin was a meglomaniac and never shared dm duties.ever.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline Rincewind  
#18 Posted : 23 May 2012 05:53:53(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

and im just like:
Offline DistortedAudio  
#19 Posted : 23 May 2012 06:01:44(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Well, as one of the people playing, I cast my final definitive vote for:

Dungeons and Dragons.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#20 Posted : 23 May 2012 06:27:22(UTC)
forkboy

Well, as one of the people playing, I cast my final definitive vote for:

Dungeons and Dragons.

Cool, I've added a tally of what people fancy to the OP. I fully expect D&D to win (though still feel we should give a Hunter a go too Drool ) so the next question would be who fancies being the Dungeon Master?

If you're not sure what that entails, basically you guide the players through the adventure. You also control the enemies, but that doesn't mean you are neccessarily trying to crush the players. The aim seems to be increase the fun had by the players. You are sort of the referee, the judge, a neutral arbiter.

To quote a website I read: "As a DM, you control everything and everyone that is not a Player Character (PC for short). That means everyone or anything the players may come across or interact with is controlled by you. However, the goal of any RPG should be a fun time for everyone involved. I cannot stress everyone enough. Your responses to the players, the situations you present, the challenges you create, the stories you build together, all of it should be balanced so as to provide an enjoyable experience for you and your players. What you are not is against the PCs. If your goal is to destroy the player characters any chance you get, then you are most certainly doing it wrong."

You'll be expected to read over the test campaign that we do to know where it goes, where as everyone else shouldn't because the experience is more fun when the players don't know what's coming their way.