logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline asdf  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2012 17:11:30(UTC)
asdf

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Who has seen it? What did you think?

My opinion is that it was not only a better movie than The Dark Knight, but it is also one of the greatest films of all time.

Every time I re-watch The Dark Knight, I find there are moments that I have to sort of cringe at and parts that are obviously hole-ridden and not well done. But with Rises, I had none of those moments. Throughout watching the movie, I found myself more deeply involved.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

Even watching it the second time a day later, I found it was even better. I'll admit that the reveal of Officer Blake's name being Robin was rather cringe-worthy, everything else about the movie is perfect.

When Batman rides off over the ocean, I cried. I don't even know why, but it was literally that perfect. The movie renewed my interest in film making too. I can't see myself doing anything else.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
thanks 1 user thanked asdf for this useful post.
stephaniewazhere on 25/07/2012(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2012 22:12:28(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

I keep hearing these rave reviews from people I know, but I haven't seen it yet. I need to see this movie!

I didn't even glance at the spoiler alert :P
Offline Laurelles1  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2012 22:40:15(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
I thought it was pretty good. I really liked Tom Hardy in it. Then again, I like practically anything Tom Hardy is in.
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Rincewind  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2012 11:12:20(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
it was good, Bane was a very good choice.. Didn't like the way they brough in Rhaas al'ghouls kid though, nice bit with the court, very French revolution Robespierre esque... Like how they managed the ending, ending it for Nolan and bale but leaving the whole thing open for another film.
4/5 from me, the Dark knight was better imo.
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2012 12:57:07(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 638 post(s)
The ending of The Dark Knight Rises was everything! I just thought it was so real and sweet you know. It represented a brotherhood/ friendship. I loved it, but it wasn't as great as The Dark Knight to me. It was just something about Heath Ledger's performance that makes that movie so breathtakingly good. And there were a lot of holes in this one to me, somethings leave to putting you're thinking cap on. But it was a great film and Anne Hathaway suprised me with her performance as Catwoman, my favorite part of her is (spoiler) when she helps the kid get his apple back, it was so simplistic but cute. Just a great film, excited and curious to see what they do with the Robin spinoff.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Offline forkboy  
#6 Posted : 26 July 2012 20:33:16(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I'll watch it when it comes out on DVD
Offline asdf  
#7 Posted : 27 July 2012 10:18:23(UTC)
asdf

Man

Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post

You'll be missing out then. It's an experience.

Offline forkboy  
#8 Posted : 27 July 2012 21:26:10(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: asdf Go to Quoted Post

I don't really enjoy the cinema experience. If cinemas had less people in them then maybe.
Offline asdf  
#9 Posted : 27 July 2012 21:32:00(UTC)
asdf

Man

Originally Posted by: asdf Go to Quoted Post

I don't really enjoy the cinema experience. If cinemas had less people in them then maybe.

Lol, I do get that. The people at our cinema had obviously never seen Batman Begins and had only seen The Dark Knight because of Heath Ledger, because they were asking everyone else what was going on when there was a reference to BB or a character from BB. People are rude that way.

Still, some movies have to be experienced on the screen like that. Maybe it's just me, but movies like Lord of the Rings and such are just...special in the cinema.

Offline genocidal king  
#10 Posted : 27 July 2012 22:26:12(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
I agree with forkboy. Simply can't be arsed with the cinema most of the time. I don't mind it on a quiet night, but when it's a new film, and it's sold out, I just cannot be arsed sitting next to some arse who is talking, moving around etc etc. Also never understood the need to eat just because a film is on. The vast majority would never sit and munch through the piles of crap they feel inclined to wrench down their gullet when they sit in a theatre if they were at home.
UserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#11 Posted : 28 July 2012 10:31:30(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
SPOILER ALERT:

Just saw it and I thought it was extremely well done. Ra's Al Ghul's daughter (Talia), is a twist I should have saw coming and it was extremely well pulled off. I would argue that since it didn't falter at its end but stayed strong throughout it was better than The Dark Knight (which did fall off a bit at the end). I agree with ASDF though, when Blake's name turned out to literally be Robin, I was thoroughly off-put. That's the big place where the film faltered, that had tons of chances to litter in references for long-time fans, like during the Football game, Rapid City could've easily been Opal City (Starman) or fuck even Metropolis since Man of Steel releases next summer. Would it have been so bad for Blake's name to have been just straight up "Dick"? Or even Tim, hell I would've fucking taken Stephanie, it just seemed as if DC fans were a bit skipped as opposed to the numerous and outstanding references in the Marvel films (Thanos Gauntlet in Avengers for example, or Hawkeye's bow in Thor).
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline asdf  
#12 Posted : 28 July 2012 11:13:17(UTC)
asdf

Man

Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
SPOILER ALERT:

Just saw it and I thought it was extremely well done. Ra's Al Ghul's daughter (Talia), is a twist I should have saw coming and it was extremely well pulled off. I would argue that since it didn't falter at its end but stayed strong throughout it was better than The Dark Knight (which did fall off a bit at the end). I agree with ASDF though, when Blake's name turned out to literally be Robin, I was thoroughly off-put. That's the big place where the film faltered, that had tons of chances to litter in references for long-time fans, like during the Football game, Rapid City could've easily been Opal City (Starman) or fuck even Metropolis since Man of Steel releases next summer. Would it have been so bad for Blake's name to have been just straight up "Dick"? Or even Tim, hell I would've fucking taken Stephanie, it just seemed as if DC fans were a bit skipped as opposed to the numerous and outstanding references in the Marvel films (Thanos Gauntlet in Avengers for example, or Hawkeye's bow in Thor).

I couldn't really understand why they wouldn't have just called him Dick. It seems pointless and under-crediting to the audience to call him Robin. But really, I don't have a huge problem with it. I do however have a problem with the horrendous way they revealed it. As if it was an afterthought that they wanted to throw in real quick.

Offline DistortedAudio  
#13 Posted : 28 July 2012 12:53:03(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

I guess not to alienate casual fans.

Best points of the film:
Catwoman (best one ever in my opinion)
Bane (Better than the Joker in my opinion)
Batman's Struggle (more highlighted than ever)

I think it'll be really interesting contrasting this trilogy with Man of Steel. I was surprised that it looked like Snyder was really capturing the loneliness of the Man of Tomorrow trapped in the World of Today.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Mt. Epic  
#14 Posted : 28 July 2012 18:10:03(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I thought it was a weird interpretation of Batman. I mean, there were so many parts to it that I just didn't like that much. Like the whole part where Batman is a prisoner and has to climb out of a giant hole to escape. I mean, that part reminded me of like Lawrence of Arabia or 127 Hours or something lol. Or the initial cop chase scene in the sewers where Bane brings down the commissioner, who then escapes. I mean, I get that it's a movie, but you'd figure that the police would've probably known about a large underground society within the city. Sounds kinda lame to point out, I know, but that was another turn off for me.

The plot line was pretty predictable. You figured that Bane was gonna come in, kick some ass for a while, then have an epic fight with batman, and then lose. Still, it was enticing enough.

Probably the best part of the film was Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. I mean, wow! She looked GREAT! Especially near the end when she's on that bike fighting Bane's guys with Batman. I mean, just oh my goodness! That way she was on that bike, and how tight that outfit looked, she looked nice. I don't think they showed enough of her lezzing out with that other blonde chick she was with. They had like one intimate hugging scene together, and that was it. I mean, Anne Hathaway with a girl would be nice.

I'd give the film a 7/10. Not too bad, but not as mind-blowing as many claim it is.

Also, I'd like to pay my condolences to all of those who have died or were wounded in the Aurora theatre shooting last thursday night. No one man should have so much power to cause such a tragedy. Many great people were lost forever in an event that made no sense. Rest in peace.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline DistortedAudio  
#15 Posted : 29 July 2012 02:37:37(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Originally Posted by: Mt. Epic Go to Quoted Post
I thought it was a weird interpretation of Batman. I mean, there were so many parts to it that I just didn't like that much. Like the whole part where Batman is a prisoner and has to climb out of a giant hole to escape. I mean, that part reminded me of like Lawrence of Arabia or 127 Hours or something lol. Or the initial cop chase scene in the sewers where Bane brings down the commissioner, who then escapes. I mean, I get that it's a movie, but you'd figure that the police would've probably known about a large underground society within the city. Sounds kinda lame to point out, I know, but that was another turn off for me.

For fans of the comic book, the prison was meant to stand for the Lazarus Pit (hence Ra's Al's appearance), and I thought it was really tastefully done. It reminded of the more psychological parts of Inception and Momento, so I was a big fan of that entire sequence. Plus the cop chase into the Sewers, it was mentioned that Gotham (a very large island seeing how it had 3,000 officers) had a very extensive tunnel network, almost like a catacomb system beneath the sewers. I thought that was believable but if seeing something that strange in a superhero movie was a turn-off for you, well I hope you don't remember some of the ones from when we were younger.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Aj  
#16 Posted : 26 August 2012 22:16:11(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mt. Epic Go to Quoted Post

For fans of the comic book, the prison was meant to stand for the Lazarus Pit (hence Ra's Al's appearance), and I thought it was really tastefully done. It reminded of the more psychological parts of Inception and Momento, so I was a big fan of that entire sequence. Plus the cop chase into the Sewers, it was mentioned that Gotham (a very large island seeing how it had 3,000 officers) had a very extensive tunnel network, almost like a catacomb system beneath the sewers. I thought that was believable but if seeing something that strange in a superhero movie was a turn-off for you, well I hope you don't remember some of the ones from when we were younger.

UserPostedImage

Literally the only plot point I thought was a bit too dodgy (for a Superhero movie) was the nuke going off and everyone being okay. Surely if a bomb that big went off over the ocean, not only would there be almost a mini-Tsunami but the radiation would just fuck everyone anyway? Don't know a lot about nukes though so I could suspend my belief.

Apart from that I thought it was a really good film , loved the part when Batman was a prisoner, I think it highlighted how important Batman really was to the city when it was desperate. It was a contrast of how it was when there was peace and then suddenly when it went to shit they needed him and he had to get there, loved it, totally predictable that he would get out yeah but you could predict the story lines of pretty much every film so can't complain too much it's ALL about the journey.

Thought the girl being Raaz al Ghul's daughter was awesome, and Bane just thought it all really fitted in really well and I had kind of lost interest in Batman Begins because The Dark Knight was so fucking good, but it brought it back up in a really interesting way and I had no clue about the twist. I never read Batman comics but I know a fair amount of lore and it still shocked me, thought it was awesome.

I thought Hathaway's performance and interpretation of Catwoman was really cool too actually, much more too it than just looking sexy in the costume.

I'd give it 9/10, then I'd give Batman Begins 8.5/10, and Dark Knight 10/10. Simply because Dark Knight had The Joker in it, easily the single best character I have ever seen in a film, videogame, anything. Such a waste of talent for him to have died. One of those things where you just wish you could go back and stop him doing whatever he did.