logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 09 July 2019 00:29:22(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19125 time(s) in 7593 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Weekend
Title: Our Song
Genre(s): Pop, Synthpop, Rock-Pop
Length: 3:10
Writers: D.Blue-Conners, R.Hamilton, B.Holmes, S.Wellington, O.Ward
Producer: Andrew Watt
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: Welcome to the Real World

Our Song is a song by British-Irish pop group Weekend. The song was released worldwide on July 8th 2019 and serves as the second single from their upcoming third studio album, "Welcome to the Real World", set for release in summer 2019. Like the project's lead single, "Victory", it too showcases a natural progression in Weekend's sound, retaining their 80's inspired pop-rock sounds but edging towards a softer, synth-based pop approach as opposed to the stadium rock tinged tunes heard on their sophomore album, "About Time". The song was written by all five of the Weekend members and produced by Andrew Watt, the first time he has collaborated with the band. "Our Song" is a story about a strong, lifelong friendship or relationship. On the surface, it comes across as a love song dedicated to a partner but in actuality, Weekend wrote the song about their strong friendship and how they aspire to keep pushing ahead despite all of the setbacks they have and will continue to endure. The track references their love of music, name dropping some of their favourite acts such as Madonna and Queen and creates a mental picture of a road trip with the five members of the band.

The core of the track was written by Dustyn Blue-Conners, creating the bulk of the lyrics and the melody on his own with his acoustic guitar. Dustyn is a prolific songwriter, penning some of the best-selling songs of all-time and being the only member of Weekend to have a writing credit on every track. Weekend rarely write together as a five-piece - either writing in smaller groups or individually before showcasing the results to the others. In the case of "Our Song", Blue-Conners was unhappy with a few lines and wanted a new bridge entirely, thus bringing in the other four members to work on the song. Due to the personal lyrics, Blue-Conners also felt that it was "essential" that Hamilton, Holmes, Ward and Wellington had creative input as well. Speaking of the track, Dustyn said;

Dustyn Blue-Conners wrote:
"The whole concept of this new album, "Welcome to the Real World", is that we're being more honest with our listeners. We've been open books on the public front but our music has been a little more sugarcoated for our demographic. We're grown now and we have different things we want to say. "Our Song" not only expresses our love for one another but it doubles as an ode to our fans as well. We've written love songs but none as personal as this. We've never publicly broadcast how much our friendship means. I love these boys and I love our supporters. They're all like family to me and, as soppy as it sounds, I wanted to express that. I don't care if it's uncool or "weird" for men to express things like this. I don't care. I love them. This really is OUR song."

The song is noted for Riley Hamilton's vocal performance and prominence, aside from it's introspective lyrical content. Weekend's choruses are usually noted for their "anthem-like" chants: big in sound and often sung in unison with huskier, more "rock" oriented voices like Oscar Ward and Dustyn Blue-Conners being the most prevalent. Hamilton is known for his falsetto as well as his growth as a performer, sounding stronger with each album. He sings in his falsetto in the chorus, immediately given it a softer sound than many other Weekend hits. Billy Holmes also shares a segment of the chorus, showcasing his strong and smooth "R&B" styled voice. He also opens up the song, again giving it a far more subdued and silkier vibe than expected. Oscar Ward takes on the second verse and a pre-chorus, sounding more relaxed than his earlier "punchier" vocal style after surgery on his chords in 2016. Dustyn Blue-Conners, often regarded as the strongest singer, has the third verse as well as a large section of the bridge. He too sings in a softer, airier voice rather than his usual husky deep tones. His Irish accent still shines through. Scott Wellington only sings a pre-chorus. His naturally thin and light voice work well with the track.

Critical reception for "Our Song" has been mostly positive upon release with many highlighting the lyrical content, natural growth in music and the honesty and heartfelt message within the track. Andy Morgan of NME regarded the song as "such a modest and cute single that feels so refreshing for a band who'd rather send dick pics than publicly wear their heart on their sleeve." In The Sun, David Milton deemed it "a gloriously stripped-down love song". The Line of Best Fit's Verity Duhamel said the track "captures and expands on Weekend's calling card of emotionally apprehensive pop blasts, continuing to show the heart that has always been prevalent in their tunes while showcasing their growth and maturity in a beautiful, organic way." Liam Kinsella of Billboard commented that Weekend exuded confidence and found the track "light, frothy, catchy" and "well-designed". He also praised Riley Hamilton's vocal performance calling him a "dark horse in the pop game".

Our Song

All
Billy
Dustyn
Oscar
Riley
Scott

It's been a long road but paradise is still ahead
Cruising top down with the wind messing our hair
CD in the dashboard, we go way back like old school
Blaring Queen and Madonna 'cause we're just that cool
Keep it repeating, keep it repeating

We act like our hearts have never been broken
As if those final blows had never been spoken
The wheels could come off, you'd still be right here
Our never ending melody, oh so sweet to my ears

With you, the music sounds better, I can't listen alone
Let's stay in this endless summer, living life in stereo

Never gonna lose the rhythm, never gonna lose our souls
No time to be down and out, come on, play me the crescendo

And sometimes, you know that we'll be dancing out of time
Spontaneously bursting out every single line

Everyone will be singing our song
Lighters up for the chorus, they're playing it for us

I remember the nerves and innocence of way back then
We've all grown now but the thrills, they never end
Keeping me on my toes, you know how to keep me keen
Eyes still burning bright like we were still sixteen

With you, the music sounds better, I can't listen alone
Let's stay in this endless summer, living life in stereo

And as the years go by, you'll still be at my side
We'll be a little older but I'm not sure about the wise
Still cruising, drawing hearts in a breath on the window
Bring the beat back before it fades away with the outro

The seasons, they come and they go
Oh, the years, they come and they go
But we will never sing our song alone

But we will never sing our song alone

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 01 October 2019 03:58:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 7 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
erich hess on 09/07/2019(UTC), FiveT on 09/07/2019(UTC), snap_itshannah on 13/07/2019(UTC), Welat65 on 15/07/2019(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 18/07/2019(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 19/07/2019(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 31/07/2020(UTC)