logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2014 01:58:59(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “We Were Young Once”
Artist: Maddie Urie
Release Date: May 31, 2014
Length: 3:21
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, Weekly Airplay
Recorded: March/April 2014 – Half-Moon Studios, Las Vegas, Nevada
Genre: Electro-Pop, Pop-Rock, Alternative Rock
Label: Songs to Love and Die By
Written: March 2014
Writer: Maddie Urie
Producer(s): Maddie Urie, Christian Fallon

“We Were Young Once” is the third official solo single from American electro-pop musician and songwriter ‘Maddie Urie’. Written and recorded by the female musician back in March of this year, after Urie spent months working on the music that would eventually form the basis of her sophomore record. The track is only the third single from the musician, who is known to have somewhat of a guarded feeling towards over-exposure, she has however had relative success with her previous releases, starting with ‘Put On A Brave Face’ and then it’s follow-up ‘Such Fragile Little Things’, both peaking within a top ten position in the singles charts, but other than that, releases from the musician have been extremely sparse, with only last summer’s first full length solo record to her name. This hasn’t held Maddie Urie back in the industry however, as she’s built her fanbase over the past year through both social media and with live performance, most notably earlier this year as a support act for Riot! In The Boulevard on the North America leg of their 2014 world tour.

The song will appear on her sophomore album ‘Warzones’ which will likely be released in July, with ‘We Were Young Once’ serving as the lead single and as the starting point towards the build-up for her album. The track comes in at three minutes and twenty one seconds and was recorded at Half-Moon Studios in Las Vegas, Nevada, a location where many of her label mates have recorded the majority of their work. The track which has a low-key electronic feel to it, rather than the typically upbeat anthemic electronic styles is one very much centred around nostalgia. The song was produced by both Maddie Urie and Christian Fallon and will be released is released today (May 31, 2014) as a CD Single and Digital Download as well as being made available for Airplay. The track will be released through ‘Songs to Love and Die By’.

SONG DESCRIPTION

Again like the majority of Maddie’s solo work, this song finds an electronic sound running throughout it all of course provided solely by Maddie Urie. The instrumentation features a keyboard and synthesizer combination which give it the electronic sound, it’s kept running at a slower more emotive pace, think ‘Sweet Disposition’ from Temper Trap in the way that it’s a slow song but has a little added energy to it. From the opening verse you have an instant idea of where the song is going emotionally as Maddie sings “They could have let me know that things can come to an end so fast/They could have reminded me/That not all good things tend to last/And those summers spent hiding out in your backyard/Now seem like a distant memory/The smoke rings, the laughter/And the promises of happily ever after.”

It’s the songs mid-way point, the chorus in particular where the energy becomes a little more evident, helped by the inclusion of the soft repetitive drum beat again provided by Maddie in the studio, likely to be provided by somebody else onstage, but it’s the chorus that arrives with verve and a little added power “But we were young once/Rebels in the sun/We were young once/Always on the run.” potentially a chorus that could be sung back anthemically during live performances. But as a whole the song remains slightly more low-key, not exactly a summer anthem but instead a song filled with nostalgia about times gone by.

SONGWRITERS COMMENTS

“I’m sure that people will find it ironic that a twenty year old is singing the words ‘But we were young once’, but I feel like the meaning of being young has been tainted in recent years so much so to the point where being young doesn’t have to relate to your age but instead to your state of mind perhaps? But anyhow, moving away from that, the song comes from my feelings on things as it stands right now, sure the song isn’t specifically about myself but it comes from a state of mind where I see my friends buying homes and getting married and having children and starting the next part of life as it seems and seemingly letting youth go from them at the age of twenty one or twenty two and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. But this is basically myself putting view on that situation if I was the one that had all of these major things happening. As I am, I’m far from the person singing in the song, but I do have a fear right now of losing grasp on my own youth, it’s not something I’m ready to let go of just yet.

Of course I’m sure there’ll come a time when I want that calmer lifestyle, but for right now, nothing excites me more than a night of possibilities and memories and stories. If only we could capture moments and bottle them, but sadly life does not work out that way. I wanted the music to feel electronic and have a little energy to it, without completely disregarding the theme of the song, of course the song lends itself to a slower more wistful sound and I worked hard in the studio in order to find the right balance, whether I found it or not is essentially down to the listener. But the main thing for me is to create a song that people can relate to, you don’t need to be settling down to relate to it though, it’s very much open to be interpreted in different ways despite the obvious theme running through it.

Now, releasing singles isn’t my forte as many are aware. But hopefully you enjoy the song and perhaps I’ve shed some form of light on the song and what it means or what I intended for it to mean.”
> Maddie

LYRICS

“They could have let me know that things can come to an end so fast
They could have reminded me
That not all good things tend to last
And those summers spent hiding out in your backyard
Now seem like a distant memory
The smoke rings, the laughter
And the promises of happily ever after
Have faded to the sky
I wish I had a chance to say goodbye

Now I’m drawing circles on the window
Not sure if you’re coming home
Not even sure if I even want you here with me tonight
I doubt I’m strong enough for another fight
I’m just wishing for yesterday
Wondering why it had to go
Wondering how we both became so disconnected
I guess ignorance is bliss though

But we were young once
Rebels in the sun
We were once young
Always on the run
We had the world out ahead of us
And it faded someday
And before you know it, this is all gone
And you’re just longing for yesterday

And there’s an empty bottle on the table
Drained of it’s very last drop
Can’t help but see the metaphor
Of the love that we’ve lost
And it’s gone
I don’t see it coming back
I’m constantly longing
For my youth back

When you’re young, you make promises
To never grow too old
To always keep your heart alive
With stories to be told
But we have jobs to do and bills to pay
We’re empty inside
We’re all vacant this way

But we were young once
Rebels in the sun
We were once young
Always on the run
We had the world out ahead of us”
And it faded someday
And before you know it, this is all gone
And you’re just longing for yesterday”

PERSONNEL
Maddie Urie – lead vocals, synthesizer, keyboards, drums, lyrics, composition, production
Christian Fallon – engineering, mixing, production

Edited by user 23 August 2020 05:05:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 01/06/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 01/06/2014(UTC), BrownSugar on 02/06/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 03/06/2014(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2014 06:04:36(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
Oscar: This is amazing. I was such a huge fan of your first record, I still play it a lot today and I was recently wondering when you'd make a return. I think the lyrics are great and your vocals are top notch as usual. Don't tell anyone else but you're my favourite Urie haha! Can't wait for the new album :)

OOC: Really love the lyrics, you're a terrific writer. I'm always impressed by all of the background information and descriptions you give to your songs as that part always kills me when I try to write them :P Great job!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 04/06/2014(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2014 17:46:20(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Katie: Oh my god it's been so long since we heard from you! (Rich coming from me, I know :P) but it's so good to hear some new tunes. This is an amazing song and I can't wait to hear the album next month :)

OOC: Great work on this, the lyrics are spot on as always.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 04/06/2014(UTC)
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2014 03:39:40(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: I can't begin to describe how happy I get when you release new music. Okay maybe I can describe it lol. It's like I'm an only child at Christmas time. :)

Ooc: Pretty awesome rp you got here sir. :)
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 07/06/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#5 Posted : 04 June 2014 13:32:06(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Dylan: Does someone have Gerascophobia? Hehe, kidding! Don't worry, I'm not looking forward to getting any older! I know my best days are right now, in this moment. I love this song because, well at least to me, it makes me appreciate things and really just have fun :) I feel like that's definitely what you're all about. Nice song, and hello? How gorgeous are you? Oh, you're a Urie, of course! :P
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 07/06/2014(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 14 June 2014 20:13:43(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Oscar: This is amazing. I was such a huge fan of your first record, I still play it a lot today and I was recently wondering when you'd make a return. I think the lyrics are great and your vocals are top notch as usual. Don't tell anyone else but you're my favourite Urie haha! Can't wait for the new album :)

OOC: Really love the lyrics, you're a terrific writer. I'm always impressed by all of the background information and descriptions you give to your songs as that part always kills me when I try to write them :P Great job!

Maddie: Thanks Oscar! I'm glad that you like the song, but what do you mean 'don't tell anyone else', if I'm your favourite Urie then I'm gonna be screaming it from the f*cking rooftops! haha hopefully your enjoy the album! :)

OOC: Thanks, glad that you enjoy them! I hate writing descriptions with a passion, that's where I really struggle, hence why I've gotten lazy and have started just posting lyric more often. Glad you enjoy them though! :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 14 June 2014 20:16:37(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
Katie: Oh my god it's been so long since we heard from you! (Rich coming from me, I know :P) but it's so good to hear some new tunes. This is an amazing song and I can't wait to hear the album next month :)

OOC: Great work on this, the lyrics are spot on as always.

Maddie: Hahaha I know, right? You can't say nothin' about being away for too long, so get your ass back out there Coyle! Yeah, I work at my own pace, sadly my own pace is very slow, but I'm excited to be gearing up to release my second album ... vroom, vroom and such! ;)

OOC: Thanks! :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 14 June 2014 20:17:53(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Princess_Valentine Go to Quoted Post
Kourtney: I can't begin to describe how happy I get when you release new music. Okay maybe I can describe it lol. It's like I'm an only child at Christmas time. :)

Ooc: Pretty awesome rp you got here sir. :)

Maddie: Haha sorry for making you wait so long for new music! lol you're weird, I like weird though! :)

OOC: Thanks! :)

Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 14 June 2014 20:23:28(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Dylan: Does someone have Gerascophobia? Hehe, kidding! Don't worry, I'm not looking forward to getting any older! I know my best days are right now, in this moment. I love this song because, well at least to me, it makes me appreciate things and really just have fun :) I feel like that's definitely what you're all about. Nice song, and hello? How gorgeous are you? Oh, you're a Urie, of course! :P

Maddie: Ohhhh, I definitely do! You've figured me out, stranger! I'm trying to cling on to my youth and innocence (that's definitely long gone now tbh hahaha) for as long as possible! Yeah, I'm glad that came across, there's no time for worrying about things, all of that crap will come later haha! Hello! Yes, I'm really rather gorgeous aren't I?! haha us Urie's are not genetic wonders, I promise you ... we don't all look like this ;)