logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2014 00:32:31(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8589 time(s) in 2692 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “With Brave Wings, She Flies”
Artist: Penetralia
Featuring: Lily Abbot
Release Date: July 13, 2014
Length: 5:27
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, Weekly Airplay
Recorded: January 2014 – Rever Studios, London, England
Genre: Alternative Rock, Post-Hardcore
Label: Liberation/Nomad Records
Writer(s): Koda Espinosa, Lily Abbot
Producer(s): Bill Owens, Penetralia

“With Brave Wings, She Flies” is the fourth single from the American post-hardcore four-piece band ‘Penetralia’, it’s the title track from their June 2014 debut album and follows on from previous singles ‘Cupid’s Scythe’, ‘Keep Your Demons’ and ‘March On’, all of which helped established the San Diego natives within the growing rock scene in the music industry, giving the group a rise that not many would have predicted at the beginning of the year. Their singles have all been relatively successful and well received, but it’s the bands live performances that have helped push them up the scale as they’ve continued to grow their fanbase over the first seven months of 2014. It appears that following the release of their debut album, there is now expectation on the band to continue their development at such a rapid pace and they already find themselves among their peers on the Warped Tour, helping to establish them as one of the standout rock acts in the music industry, it appears that this is likely to continue as the ambitious rockers continue on their path.

This track also marks the first collaborative effort from the band as they teamed up with rock singer ‘Lily Abbot’ on the track, the collaboration came somewhat out of the blue as the female vocalist has been inactive in the music industry for quite some time now, but the band thanked the female vocalist for appearing on the track in the liner notes of their debut album and even encouraged her to begin releasing new music once more following a lengthy break from the industry, the band stated in the album booklet, “The mark that you left on the record just from one song shows the power that you possess and it was a blast to hang out with you for a couple of days. However, the industry is missing you, so we’re hoping that you decide to get back in the game and show us upstarts how it’s really done.”

‘Penetralia’ recorded the song in January 2014 at ‘Rever Studios’ in London, England. The recording sessions were overseen by ‘Bill Owens’. The track has a very strong rock edge towards it, leaning more in the post-hardcore category as opposed to the Alternative Rock category. The track is an opportunity for the band to fully explore their rock credentials and they prove to do so, the song finds itself dominated early on with a powerful electric guitar riff provided by Beau Nero alongside a non-stop drumming master class from Jonah Espinosa, and it becomes evident that all four members of the band play a major part in the song, with Gunner Lee keeping things in place with his rhythmic bass playing. The lyrics hit a darker side as Koda sings about a girl who finds herself judged an slowly starts to fall apart, lyrically the song has a few “moments” as Koda fires out the line “Instead of her father photographing her on prom day/She’s wandering to the cemetery to lay flowers on his grave” and Lily follows up with “Each day she listens to her insides slowly screaming/Is it a cold, harsh reality or is she dreaming?” and it’s evident that both singers are on the same page both vocally, emotionally and in particular lyrically as Lily put her own stamp on the song and made it fit perfectly. The track as a whole has a powerful rock feel, but lyrically tells a story, with a particularly heart-breaking ending as the final words from ‘Penetralia’s’ debut album ring in your ears, “She closes her eyes/And with brave wings, she flies”

The track clocks in at 5:27. It will be released on 13 July, 2014 and will be made available as a CD Single and Digital Download as well as being made available to Airplay. The majority of the song’s lyrics were written by lead vocalist ‘Koda Espinosa’ while ‘Lily Abbot’ added her own touch to the song while working with the guys in the recording studio. The composition of the song comes from a collaboration of all four musicians, like the majority of songs on the debut album they were composed together both at home and in the studio. The track was also produced by the entirety of the band alongside ‘Bill Owens’ and the song will be released through ‘Liberation/Nomad’ Records.

ALTERNATIVE PRESS REVIEW

Quote:
“At the beginning of the year ‘Alternative Press’ had huge hopes pinned on ‘Penetralia’ as the next big rock band and we’re glad to have been proven right in our high praise of these young Californian musicians. With their previous singles, performances on the Warped Tour and their hauntingly beautiful debut album we’ve very much became huge fans of this band already. We’ve been delighted to see their epic rise in the industry, and with their fourth single of the year, it looks like they’ve just stepped up to the very next level on this epic rise.

From the opening guitar riff which is just beautiful and triumphant to the pounding of the drums, it feels so darkly anthemic that I can’t even listen to the song objectively, not great for a reviewer but what the hell! Then you’re hit with the opening lyrics of the song, “She sits alone in the dark/Staring up at the moon and the stars/Says she loves how they never cease to sparkle at night.” enough to bring tears to the eyes of teenage girls all over the world and if the lyrics don’t do it then that beautifully emotive vocal range of ‘Koda’ is enough to do it. It’s not even surprising to see grown men weeping openly at ‘Penetralia’ shows. But already the band have found a niche with their songs lyrics and themes, you sort of get the feeling that the band have felt or know somebody close to them that have felt every word of what their lead singer is writing and singing and it’s a huge part of what has made them so popular so early on in their careers.

The song reaches people emotionally, it’s a song that is very much about being knocked down or judged for whatever reasons and it’s about the emotional struggle and strain that people can put on other people. It’s a very real thing that we all see or even fail to see every day. In simple terms, it’s a song about emotional demons getting the better of you and it tells the story of a girl that fights to remain positive but ultimately comes unstuck and the pressure of the world that surrounds her eventually is enough to bury her. There are lyrics throughout the song that are likely to hit home for thousands of people, “They look down on her, with sharp tongues and judgemental eyes.” And the lump-in-your-throat moment, “Instead of her father photographing her on prom day/She’s wandering to the cemetery to lay flowers on his grave.”, it all builds to the arrival of ‘Lily Abbot’ as she sings from the point of view of the girl in the song, “She can’t take it/Living without you here/Fairytales and happy endings never gave her comfort/For eternity she will suffer.”

And the music then softens for emotional gravity, it dies down to an almost silence and Koda steps up to the microphone one final time, to deliver the most heart-breaking line that he could possibly muster, “She fashions a rope from an old school tie/Closes her eyes and with brave wings she flies.” Leaving hundreds of emotionally unstable people like myself laying on our bedroom floors in floods of tears.”

LYRICS

Bold = Scream
Purple = Lily vocals
Black = Koda vocals

“She sits alone in the dark
Staring up at the moon and the stars
Says she loves how they never cease to sparkle at night
She calls it her sanctuary
Her safe place
Her retreat

It’s hard to believe that she can still smile
When the world seems intent on bringing her down
For a girl so young, she doesn’t deserve to face such pain
But she fights her fears
Smiles through all of her tears
And wakes each morning to take it all on again

And they look down on her
With sharp tongues and judgemental eyes
Piercing stares and made-up lies
And it contradicts her own beliefs in the goodness of the world
But she keeps on believing
For as long as she continues breathing
Things will get better

One by one, things get worse
She starts to believe that she’s the curse
People leave her
She’s the common link
She’s battling her demons
She’s on the brink

Instead of her father photographing her on prom day
She’s wandering to the cemetery to lay flowers on his grave
She sits beside him, knowing he’s listening
Stares up at the stars and moon
As they shine down on her glistening
And she cries and screams out
‘I need you more than ever
If you’re gonna take them away
I don’t want your forever
Just take me with him
Take me now’

Each day she listens to her insides slowly screaming
Is it a cold, harsh reality or is she dreaming?
The world has turned on her
Making her see her darkest fear
She can't take it
Living without you here
Fairytales and happy endings never gave her comfort
For eternity she will suffer

She locks her door
Turns her music up loud
Stares at an old photograph
And cries ‘sorry I never made you proud’
She fashions a rope
From an old school tie
Closes her eyes
And with brave wings, she flies”

PERSONNEL

Koda Espinosa – lead vocals, rhythm guitar, lyrics, composition, production
Beau Nero – lead guitar, composition, production
Gunner Lee – bass guitar, composition, production
Jonah Espinosa – drums, percussion, composition, production
Lily Abbot – vocals, lyrics
Bill Owens – production, engineering, mixing
thanks 7 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 14/07/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 14/07/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 14/07/2014(UTC), GirlSpice on 14/07/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 14/07/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 14/07/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 31/07/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2014 03:50:03(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Jennifer: This is so beautiful and well produced. I love it so much and I'm glad to be hearing Lily's sweet voice in my ears today, missed that voice in the industry! I think you two work perfect together and should consider doing more tracks in the future, just saying! :P

OOC: Sorry about not getting my comment to you sooner.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 14/07/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2014 04:23:21(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Glamazon: Goodness... just what on EARTH are those lyrics?! Incredible, but depressing... and that's coming from me. Even so, this is yet another wildly amazing single, sweethearts. It's been great to watch you go from strength to strength with each release and I'm fairly confident this one now stands as your best. Keep it up. xx
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 14/07/2014(UTC)
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2014 12:08:59(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: Wow, please tell me that I'm not dreaming cause everyone who knows me knows how much I loooooooove Lily! Penetralia, you've really outdone yourself with this one and with getting Lily on a song again! It's still official, you guys are the best!
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 16/07/2014(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2014 03:01:34(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Jennifer: This is so beautiful and well produced. I love it so much and I'm glad to be hearing Lily's sweet voice in my ears today, missed that voice in the industry! I think you two work perfect together and should consider doing more tracks in the future, just saying! :P

OOC: Sorry about not getting my comment to you sooner.

Koda: Thanks Jennifer! Yeah, we've been hoping to coax her back into the world of music, don't think it worked though! haha that would be interesting, I enjoyed working with her, so never say never! :)

OOC: No problem, It's all good! :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2014 03:03:48(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: GirlSpice Go to Quoted Post
Glamazon: Goodness... just what on EARTH are those lyrics?! Incredible, but depressing... and that's coming from me. Even so, this is yet another wildly amazing single, sweethearts. It's been great to watch you go from strength to strength with each release and I'm fairly confident this one now stands as your best. Keep it up. xx

Koda: Wow! Glamazon complimented my lyrics, I'm officially done, should I just retire now or ...? Thanks, we try our best and hopefully our efforts are paying off! :)

Beau: Glamazon ... sex?
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 19/07/2014(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2014 03:04:52(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Princess_Valentine Go to Quoted Post
Kourtney: Wow, please tell me that I'm not dreaming cause everyone who knows me knows how much I loooooooove Lily! Penetralia, you've really outdone yourself with this one and with getting Lily on a song again! It's still official, you guys are the best!

Gunner: We're the best? F*ck yeah, you roooooooooooock Kourtney!
Offline Famouss7x7  
#8 Posted : 21 July 2014 01:36:33(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
James: Wow what a beautiful record here. I am totally blown away by the lyrics, sound and quality of this record. Lily, always sensational and this here is a massively strong single!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 25/07/2014(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 25 July 2014 00:37:27(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
James: Wow what a beautiful record here. I am totally blown away by the lyrics, sound and quality of this record. Lily, always sensational and this here is a massively strong single!

Koda: Ahhh thanks James! We ourselves are blown away by the positivity towards our music. It was definitely a massive coup to get Lily to work on the track with us, it was awesome!