logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matticus  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2011 23:21:00(UTC)
Matticus

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1328 time(s) in 705 post(s)
Sammy Griffin, Live at 'The Defectors Weld' - 11th June 2011

I am Sammy Griffin. Tonight is the biggest gig I’ve ever done on my own. I mean I have done a couple of gigs in front of almost 1000 people, but they weren’t all there to see me. So tonight is way more pressure than that. The guy who owns this club said that the tickets for me sold out. That is crazy. I can’t believe it. This place can hold about 320 people, and they are all in here to see me. I can’t believe it. I had better go out there and give them a show to remember!

UserPostedImage

A young man, who is probably around the age of 20, with long red hair walks onto the stage. He is carrying an acoustic guitar and puts the strap over his shoulder as he walks onto the stage. He is visibly nervous as he walks to the microphone. There is a stool behind him but it doesn’t look like he could sit down on it without making it obvious how nervous he is – he wouldn’t be able to sit still!

He puts his mouth close to the microphone and opens it; then he pulls away and quickly ruffles red hair. He takes a long breath and breathes out. He moves closer to the microphone again and then smiles; “Hey everyone!” The audience start cheering as soon as he opens his mouth. Now he can’t help but smile, “There are so many of you guys here today! This place actually sold out!” There is another cheer now. “So for those of you who don’t know, I am Sammy Griffin! I’ve got a couple of tracks to play for you guys today. If you’ve ever been to one of my gigs before, you’ll know at least one of them – it was the first song I wrote and recorded fully, and I was so proud of it that I have played it at every show that I’ve ever done! It is my favourite song that I have ever done. So I’ll start the night with that one then.”

A brief cheer comes from the audience as Sammy strums quickly on his guitar; he closes his eyes and it is now obvious that he has lost all nerves he had before. They were lost in the music. He moves into the microphone preparing to start singing.
Sammy closes his eyes as he sings the chorus; his voice is soft but he emphasises some of the words with such power that it is hard not to be in a trance whilst listening to this piece.

“If I could fly, I would, I would
If I could turn back time, I would, I would,
I don’t wanna die, but I should, I should,
Because I made you cry, Bad Blood, Bad Blood”

Some of his committed fans, who had been to more of his gigs, were singing along to the lyrics. This, teamed with his voice, helped to create a feeling of comfort and unison in the club. He played a small instrumental before going into the verse. To my surprise, the young red headed singer on the stage starts to rap. It is easy to tell that this boy has been performing this song for a long time; it is obvious that he can feel every strum of his guitar the whole way through his body. He is swaying in time to the music; the smile plastered across his face just shows the buzz he gets from playing live.

I know that I did the wrong the thing, I lied,
I wanna know how I can make it up to you, I tried,
I just want for us to go back to how we used to be, you cried,
I know that I hurt you, but give me another chance, I died.
My heart is in pieces, but I know yours is worse,
I should’ve controlled myself, seen you first,
I don’t want for you to remember me as just a jerk,
I loved everything about you, but I don’t want you to hurt.

As his verse finishes a girl on the front row starts cheering louder than everyone else; he has just looked at her and smiled. He starts to sing the chorus again and makes eye contact with a girl who is couple of rows from the front. He is singing this song to her, which helps to give the song a feeling that it is more that just a song. Looking at this girl, it is obvious she is just a fan and that the song wasn’t actually aimed at her. The way that he sang it though made it feel real; and that is a real quality in a singer.
Sammy repeats the chorus again, and then sings a short four lined verse before starting to rap again.

The way I’m feeling towards you girl,
I got my head in a mess, a sort of swirl,
My hair’s a mess, and I can’t sleep,
I just wanna move on from that feeling that’s deep
Inside of me, that I know I did wrong,
Why did I do it? Crazy like King Kong.

As he says ‘Crazy like King Kong’ he slaps his guitar and stops strumming briefly to emphasise how he ‘feels’. Then he quickly picks up the tune again for the next part of the rapped vocals.

"For fuck’s sake, I’ve messed up big,
I didn’t realise how much I’d miss
You, you are the one, the one I love,
And now I know you’re an angel from above,
But all I’ve got, is bad blood,
Because I’ve gone and been a major fuck up.

Just after he says the title ‘bad blood’ he stops playing and raps the last line over a cheering audience and takes one final strum at the guitar. He beams as the audience’s response to the song is incredible. For saying that there are only 320 people in this little venue, it sounds like there are thousands. It is clear to see that Sammy Griffin already has an incredibly committed following behind him.

OOC: there will be three parts to this, posted about 10 minutes apart. I didn't want to post them all at once otherwise it looks far too long and i know i struggle to read through long RPs, so i don't wanna do that to you guys ;D it is only 3 songs, just looks relatively long haha :)

Edited by user 15 June 2011 21:32:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)
Offline Matticus  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2011 23:31:08(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Part 2

“So you all like that?” he gets yet another massive response from the sea of heads in front of him. “I know that has been on both of the EPs that I’ve released already, but I’m putting it on the next one too. I promise that I won’t use it too many more times though... except at my gigs of course.” He gives a quick laugh. “Okay, better continue then. Next up is a little track called ‘Your Real Disguise’. Now, I’ve never played this one to an audience, so I want some feedback. I want you to puts your hands up if you like it, at any point in the song. And keep them up if you like it – and obviously if you don’t, put them down. So here we go.”

UserPostedImage

Sammy plays a mysterious riff on his acoustic guitar; he shows incredible talent with how fast his fingers are moving to catch all of the notes. The riff starts the song off beautifully, leading into a sung verse.

“I’m falling to pieces,
Realising you weren’t real,
It was a shock to me,
When I discovered that you didn’t love me.
I just wanna feel your heart beating,
And forget that you were cheating,
I just hate the fact that you and me,
Well I thought that we were meant to be…”

The mysterious riff faded out part way through this verse and changed into a fast jumpy rhythm, but the rhythm didn’t distract the audience from the heart felt vocals streaming from Sammy’s lips. Now the pace of the guitar speeds up and Sammy steps up to the microphone again and belts out powerful, emotion filled chorus.

“When I feel your lips touch mine,
Everything is fine,
The passion in your eyes,
Is your real disguise.
Your real disguise.”

The last line of the chorus is sung over a fading note on the guitar, and then it kicks back in again as the song heads towards a second verse. He takes a breath before going in for a second sung verse.

“You are the glint in my eye,
The soul of the party,
Without you my heart dies,
And it won’t restart yeah,
I just feel so empty,
Now that you’re gone,
But I don’t want this
Anymore, because it’s wrong.”

As he finishes the second verse he glances around the room to see that at least three quarters of the room has their hands in the air, signifying that they all love the song. This really helps to spur him on for the last verse of the song. As he sings the chorus again he prepares himself mentally to go for it on the last verse. With barely a seconds break from the end of the chorus he starts on the final verse.

“Your disguise is one I’ll never be fooled by again,
I know what I’m looking for now, shame it’s now and not then,
I’ll keep on spitting my bars over my music forever,
Even though you and I will never be together
Ever again, because the lies you told are too big,
So I’ll forgive but never forget all of your bullshit.
I have a heart, and it was broken,
But my voice is hear, although it may be croaking,
You hurt my bad, and I’ll never forget
But for the time being, it’s not over yet.

As Sammy finishes his rapped final verse he takes a breath and sees a few more hands shoot up; it looks as though almost all of the room has their hands up, which is a pretty amazing feat. Just under 320 people liked that song, and that is incredible. He seems pretty impressed with himself as the song fades into the cheers of the audience.

Edited by user 15 June 2011 21:32:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2011 23:40:04(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
OOC: This is amazing. Really well written and detailed, I'm looking forward to seeing part 3.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2011 23:40:23(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Lily: Loved your performance :) You got great talent Sammy.

Hayden: Woo, you rocked it. Im gonna have to buy all your music up.

Isabel: Your really good at performing. Im gonna go to a show one day ;)

Gia: Are you signed?? You got some talent boy. :)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

Offline Matticus  
#5 Posted : 13 June 2011 23:42:05(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Part 3

He rubs his forehead as he looks into the audience, he smiles. Sammy still cannot believe that all of these people have come to see him and all love what he is doing. The look on his face is one of pure awe for the appreciation that these fans are showing him. He clears his throat, “I just wanna say; I am so thankful for all of you guys coming to see me today. This means so much to me.” He rubs his right eye as the audience cheers for him. “Okay, there was a demo for this track on my last EP, the full version will be on my next one. This will be my last track for you guys, and again thank you all!”

The audience all starts cheering and then start to calm down as they hear a single strum on his guitar. Then another follows it. And a third comes not long later. Sammy makes a humming sound into the microphone with his eyes closed. It is again obvious that he can feel the music flowing through him. He steadily starts to start playing a simple tune; which gradually increases in pace, leading up to a first verse.

“Said, I got the feeling,
That you been gone too long,
Inside I am screaming,
‘Cause I wanna sing your song,
Said, my heart it is bleeding,
‘Cause the music is just too strong,
I’ve had enough of this pleasing,
I don’t care if I do wrong,”

He sings in quite a high voice as he goes through the verse, with the guitar getting progressively faster. He holds the note of the last word as he strums at his guitar incredibly quickly. The song now runs through a brief pre-chorus into the actual chorus.

“The feeling is right,
The feeling is right,
The moment is now,
It’s time,
To leave this pain and heartbreak, behind.”

Some of the fans who bought his previous EP sing along to the chorus; they obviously recognise it from the demo. This sounds exactly like the demo, as it is just Sammy and a guitar. Nothing else. He moves on to the next verse which has a similar feel to it as the first verse did.

“Well I know the feeling,
I’ve had enough of doing bad,
Inside I am screaming,
‘Cause my life is going mad,
Said, my heart is bleeding,
‘Cause of all that we had,
I’ve had enough of this pleading,
I don’t care if I make you sad,”

It is very much the same as the first verse, just a few changes in the lyrics. The music beneath it is still the same. Sammy is swaying in time to the music – he looks so confident up there now, which is the complete opposite of when he first stepped out onto the stage. He plays a short instrumental where he moves around the stage a bit more before he sings the pr-chorus and goes into the chorus again. He is incredibly energetic, jumping up and down. Sammy is quite obviously having an amazing night.

“Just look me in the eyes,
Tell me you don’t miss it too,
I can feel your surprise,
I can see it running straight though you,”

His voice cracks on the last note of the song as he smiles to the cheering audience. His eyes start to water as he prepares to thank them all. He takes a deep breath and then smiles again, “Thank you so much everybody! You guys here at The Defectors Weld have been absolutely amazing! I love you all!” He walks off the stage to the right hand of the stage, he waves and smiles again.

UserPostedImage

Wow, that was the most amazing thing ever! I can’t believe I have let my eyes water! AARRGGHH!! That was amazing! Wow! Just chill, Sammy, Chill. So many people!!
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline Matticus  
#6 Posted : 13 June 2011 23:45:35(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
OOC: This is amazing. Really well written and detailed, I'm looking forward to seeing part 3.

OOC: Wow :D thank you :)

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Lily: Loved your performance :) You got great talent Sammy.

Hayden: Woo, you rocked it. Im gonna have to buy all your music up.

Isabel: Your really good at performing. Im gonna go to a show one day ;)

Gia: Are you signed?? You got some talent boy. :)

Sammy: Thank you Lily, that means a lot to me. And Hayden, thank you! You'll have to look on iTunes for the first two EPs, neither of them were released physically, that costs too much for me ahha. Isabel, thank you so much! And Gia, no i am not signed. That means so much to me that you think i am talented! Thank you!
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline infinite135  
#7 Posted : 14 June 2011 00:40:25(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Heh, if you think 320 people is a large crowd, then try 100,000. In all seriousness, though; welcome to the wonderful world of music, mate! You seem like a very unique performer, too, as many rappers don't usually play with an acoustic guitar onstage. Being different is always a good thing, in my opinion.

-Eric Quillington

OOC: Awesome RP, mate! The quality rate of live shows have definitely increased recently, it makes the forum a much more interesting place. I just might have to write out another one to show everyone who's boss. ;D
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
Offline Matticus  
#8 Posted : 14 June 2011 00:44:14(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Originally Posted by: infinite135 Go to Quoted Post
Heh, if you think 320 people is a large crowd, then try 100,000. In all seriousness, though; welcome to the wonderful world of music, mate! You seem like a very unique performer, too, as many rappers don't usually play with an acoustic guitar onstage. Being different is always a good thing, in my opinion.

-Eric Quillington

OOC: Awesome RP, mate! The quality rate of live shows have definitely increased recently, it makes the forum a much more interesting place. I just might have to write out another one to show everyone who's boss. ;D

'Holy shit, 100000... I would just die haha! Thank you for that, i love my guitar and i love to rap - but my music isn't all about rap, and that is why i like what i do. There are a couple of twists too it. I'm bored of all of the straightforwardness of music, i want to make a different type of music!'

-Sammy Griffin

OOC: thank you :D i know right, so many! Oh please don't! haha nah i'm joking, i love your RPs -_- you are too good ahha
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#9 Posted : 14 June 2011 00:48:18(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

OOC: Infinite you are one egotistic motherfucker lol ;P

Amazing job Mr. Matticus. One of your best RP's, really well written :)

Offline Matticus  
#10 Posted : 14 June 2011 00:49:28(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Originally Posted by: stephaniewazhere Go to Quoted Post

Amazing job Mr. Matticus. One of your best RP's, really well written :)

OOC: Thank you, i think it is my best one haha :') i don't really think i've ever pulled out a 'good' one, but i think this is the first of a few ;D
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline infinite135  
#11 Posted : 14 June 2011 00:56:12(UTC)
infinite135

Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Matticus wrote:
'Holy shit, 100000... I would just die haha! Thank you for that, i love my guitar and i love to rap - but my music isn't all about rap, and that is why i like what i do. There are a couple of twists too it. I'm bored of all of the straightforwardness of music, i want to make a different type of music!'

-Sammy Griffin

Yeah, I totally agree! I don't think rap should be constricted by merely basslines and beats, y'know? It can be presented in a wide variety of forms, like all musical genres. As I've said before; different is usually better. You're no exception, mate!

-Eric Quillington

OOC: Oh, you know I'm only kidding! At least, I hope you do, haha.
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
Offline Matticus  
#12 Posted : 14 June 2011 00:58:39(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Matticus wrote:

-Sammy Griffin

Yeah, I totally agree! I don't think rap should be constricted by merely basslines and beats, y'know? It can be presented in a wide variety of forms, like all musical genres. As I've said before; different is usually better. You're no exception, mate!

-Eric Quillington

'Exactly what i mean! And again thank you Eric.'

-Sammy Griffin
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#13 Posted : 14 June 2011 00:59:59(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Matticus wrote:

-Sammy Griffin

-Eric Quillington

OOC: Oh, you know I'm only kidding! At least, I hope you do, haha.

OOC: Of course,... I get cocky sometimes too, but hey if you ca back it up, why not *Shrugs*
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
Matticus on 14/06/2011(UTC)
Offline Matticus  
#14 Posted : 14 June 2011 08:10:35(UTC)
Matticus

Man

OOC: Cheeky little bump here ;D

Edited by user 14 June 2011 08:11:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline C4AJoh  
#15 Posted : 14 June 2011 08:13:24(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
OOC: Definitely deserves more comments, I think it's the best thing you've written. Again great job and part 3 just as good too. :)
Offline Matticus  
#16 Posted : 14 June 2011 08:17:17(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Definitely deserves more comments, I think it's the best thing you've written. Again great job and part 3 just as good too. :)

OOC: thank you :) this is the first relatively long looking one that I just did from start to finish... And I wrote the three songs as I was doing it xD well I had the chorus for bad blood stuck in my head for about a week before this, bit other than that I wrote them all today ;D I think I'll do another one over the course of the next week or so using a couple of other tracks :) just help to get his back catalogue a little more out there and also for me as well to help me understand him more myself xD but yeah I like this character ;D
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype