logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matticus  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2011 06:17:06(UTC)
Matticus

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1328 time(s) in 705 post(s)
Sammy Griffin at SB.TV – June 23rd 2011
Part 1 - Interview

Sammy can be seen sitting at a white table; it has two cups on it, which are both steaming. Sammy’s guitar is resting on his lap as he sits back a little from the table.. A female voice comes from behind the camera, “Hello everybody, we are SB.TV and in front of us today is Sammy Griffin.”
Sammy gives a little wave to the camera and smiles, “Hey, like she just said – I am Sammy Griffin.
The voice comes back again, “Well we are here to talk to Sammy and then to also hear a live performance of his promotional single for his upcoming EP!” Sammy can be seen to be nodding, his hand gently slides up his guitar and then down again. “Let’s begin then.

UserPostedImage

The interviewer begins by asking Sammy what made him get into music.
Well, I grew up with two older sisters. So naturally that would be singing at the top of their voices all of the time. I suppose I just picked it up… I liked singing. Then my parents bought me a guitar when I turned 12; I had stopped singing then because my sister had convinced me that I was crap at it. I just loved music from such a young age, and I guess that is where it stemmed…

The response seems to have pleased the interviewer, as she makes a happy sighing sound. This draws a slight smile from Sammy. She then continues to ask how his sister had convinced him he wasn’t a good singer.
He laughs and runs his hand through his hair, “Well basically, she was jealous – that isn’t me being cocky, she told me that. Everybody would say I had a lovely voice and everything, but she has said that she didn’t like the fact that I could sing and she couldn’t so she would tell me that I was rubbish so that I would stop. And it worked.

The interviewer instantly responds with a question asking how he decided to start singing again.
Well basically, it was my Grandma’s 70th birthday or something and like the whole family went to that – you know, as you do – and my mum made me bring my guitar so I could give her a special ‘birthday performance’. I never really liked my Grandma, and she didn’t like me, so I didn’t really wanna go and perform to her. I was like 14 at that point I think, I can’t really remember how long ago it actually was but yeah I got my guitar out and played her a piece. She stopped me and I just thought, ‘yeah she hates me’, but actually she stopped me to tell me to sing too. She had heard me singing before when she had been round and it has always made her smile when she heard me sing. That is what she told me then, and I knew that she couldn’t have made it up because she had always hated me – and for her to say that meant a lot to me.

Sammy smiled at the thought of that day; it had really been a very important one in terms of his musical career. Without it, he wouldn’t be at the SB.TV studios today. The interviewer then moved on to the next question. She asked him about when he really became serious about music and how he acted upon that.
I was gonna start the sentence with ‘well’ then, but I just realised how often I do that;” he laughs as he realises the repetitiveness of his vocabulary, then he continues, “I realised that I could really do it on my Grandma’s 70th. That was a really defining day in my life. And when I got to the age of 17 I moved in with a friend who lives in inner city London – and I still live with him now. It was really good of him to let me live with him, because he let me live rent free until I got on my feet; which could have been a really long time. He obviously believed in me. I am gradually paying him back for the rent that he paid on my behalf – I really appreciate everything he has done for me.

The interviewer likes his little story and tells him so before continuing to ask why he needed to move into inner-city London.
It is just more practical,” he says simply, “If I am doing a club gig, it is easier for me to be able to crash somewhere which is a lot closer than outside of the city, which is also my bed. I mean there is nothing like sleeping in your own bed. I have been doing the club circuit in London ever since I moved into my friends. You really do start at the bottom.

The interviewer now asks what he means by ‘start at the bottom’.
You have to get yourself known. You can’t decide that you are gonna be a singer and expect to be filling Wembley Stadium instantly. I mean, I don’t ever expect to fill Wembley Stadium… Back to the question though, I started off playing gigs to like five to ten people. The word spread and two weeks ago I was performing in front of a full ‘Defectors Weld’ – which is about 320 people who were all there to see me perform my stuff. I have been at bigger gigs, but that was the biggest that had been to purely see me.

The interviewer now makes a sound which signifies she understands. She then goes on to ask how his sudden rise to fame has treated him.
I wouldn’t really say it was a sudden rise to fame” he laughs off the claim, “I would just say that more people have been opened up to my music. It was amazing to read that Hannah Beth likes my music – I can’t believe she has even heard of me! But in all reality, nothing has really changed, I have noticed my YouTube videos seem to be getting a lot more hits, but that and reading my name in an article about Hannah Beth is as far as it has gone really.

She goes on to question him about his old EPs and if they can be compared at all to what he is doing on his new one.
The answer to that is simply yes. I have always done what I want to do, the only major difference is that I have matured over the last year or so and the finished product is better. I mean Bad Blood will have been on all three EPs when this is done – but on my next one – which will be titled The Griffin – it will be a live version, so that people who have bought all three EPs don’t have three copies of the exact same song… I know that can be annoying… My old EPs aren’t even really that old; the first one – Bad Blood – came out around the 23rd of September, and then the second one – The Red One – came out on the 13th of February. So they are at most nine to ten months old. I still like the stuff from the first EP and still enjoy playing it.

The interviewer now asks when his new EP is due out.
He laughs, “I actually haven’t got a release date for it yet, I can’t say… It’ll be sometime over the next month I suppose… I am really looking forward to its release though. Got some of the best tracks I have ever written on there.

She now asks him what he is going to perform for the people.
Okay, tonight I am going to play Please Don’t Go. I really like this track; it is a really nice one to perform. I first performed this live on Saturday actually – down at ‘The Barfly’. That is a really nice venue.

The interviewer now spins the camera towards her face. She is a fairly attractive girl with short brown hair which sits about an inch above her shoulders. She speaks into the camera; “So that was Sammy Griffin, and this is SB.TV. I hope you enjoyed that interview; we will be back shortly with Sammy’s live performance of ‘Please Don’t Go’! Don’t go anywhere!
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)
Offline C4AJoh  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2011 06:24:02(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
Amy: Your such a cool guy, that's like impossible you know what with you being a redhead. You music is really different and I really like it.

OOC: Your definitely outdoing yourself with this character, the stuff you've written for him so far is by far the best stuff you've done on here so far. Great stuff. :)
Offline Matticus  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2011 06:26:21(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Amy: Your such a cool guy, that's like impossible you know what with you being a redhead. You music is really different and I really like it.

OOC: Your definitely outdoing yourself with this character, the stuff you've written for him so far is by far the best stuff you've done on here so far. Great stuff. :)

Sammy: Thanks Amy, I like to think that i'm reasonably cool... haha. Yeah you are pretty col too, and that is like impossible with you being a redhead you know ;)

OOC: Wow, thank you! That really feels good to read that :D :D I'll post the track bit tomorrow :)
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Other Acts Include: Parish (Michael Parish), Lucifer (James Francis), Cheating the System (Ethan Plyth, Tom Jolly, Ryan Wyler)
Offline genocidal king  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2011 06:27:23(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Katie: Great interview Sammy. I started off doing the London club scene just like you, until about November time! It can be a tough thing to do, and it gets demoralising huh? But there are great things ahead of it. I hope you make it huge, you seem like a really nice guy.

OOC: Nice interview, original way of doing it too, well done mate. Really great work.

Edited by user 24 June 2011 06:28:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 24 June 2011 06:28:22(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Matticus Go to Quoted Post

Sammy: Thanks Amy, I like to think that i'm reasonably cool... haha. Yeah you are pretty col too, and that is like impossible with you being a redhead you know ;)

OOC: Wow, thank you! That really feels good to read that :D :D I'll post the track bit tomorrow :)

Amy: Yeah, I'm quite something aren't I ;) and like Mr. Hernandez keeps on saying, I'm "The great red hope." But your pretty awesome too.
Offline Matticus  
#6 Posted : 24 June 2011 06:28:45(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
Katie: Great interview Sammy. I started off doing the London club scene just like you, until about November time! It can be a tough thing to do, and it gets demoralising huh? But there are great things ahead of it. I hope you make it huge, you seem like a really nice guy.

OOC: Nice interview, original way of doing it too, well done mate

Sammy: It really can be can't it?! I am just happy that everybody seems to be noticing me now. I am really hoping for some good times to come soon.

OOC: Thank you :D
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline Matticus  
#7 Posted : 24 June 2011 06:29:38(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Amy: Yeah, I'm quite something aren't I ;) and like Mr. Hernandez keeps on saying, I'm "The great red hope." But your pretty awesome too.

Sammy: Haha, well he speaks words of wisdom. And thank you ;D
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline Matticus  
#8 Posted : 24 June 2011 22:07:49(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Part 2 – Please Don’t Go Performance

The camera flicks back on and Sammy can now be seen stood in a recording booth. His guitar is in his hand, and he has two microphones in front of him.
He moves closer to a silver coloured microphone, it is linked up to what looks like a foot pedal. He presses down on the pedal and makes a humming noise. Sammy releases the pedal and the sound of him humming is now being looped.
Sammy now presses down on the pedal again and plays a couple of quick chords on his guitar; again he releases and now the music behind him is building up. Now he grabs the silver microphone and does a little bit of beat boxing into it. At this stage, the song has built up a bit of an atmosphere to it and Sammy is ready to start singing.

Sammy moves closer to the black microphone, this one hangs from the ceiling and matches the headphones which are clamped over his ears. He starts to play a steady tune on his guitar and then closes his eyes to start singing the song.

"I wish that you would stop, with all these games,
I just don’t know if I, can cope or play,
‘Cause I’ve seen it all before,
And yes, I am sure,
That it won’t end nicely, for anyone.
I think that we need some time,
So that I can see clearly,
Because this could be the end of you and me."

As he sings he increases the pace of his guitar, in the background the loop pedal is still playing the bits he recorded at the start until he presses the stop pedal at the end of line three. Then he starts it up again as line 5 comes about. His eyes open again as he reaches the end of the verse. Now he sings the chorus of the song over just his guitar again before reinstating the loop pedal for the next verse.

"They said that we’d be together forever but I know,
That we could never settle down and make something good –
Outta what we’ve found, and this crazy place –
Leaves us all making massive mistakes,
I mean everyone is human, and nobody is perfect,
If we were meant to be god like we wouldn’t be on this earth, yeah?
So fucking up is natural I suppose,
But we’ve been a fuck up and everybody knows,
You’ve been around the block,
Sucked I don’t know how much cock,
Made my heart as solid as a rock,
Only for you to come back along pointing at the clock,
Telling me that we’ve had our good times,
Only for me to go and get lost in my rhymes,
I must be blind ‘cause I just don’t see all of the signs,
And then it is all over to the sounding of chimes.
"

He tilts his head a bit as he raps the verse, his lips move quickly as the lyrics flow from his them. The look on his face shows one of frustration, the lyrics obviously mean something - maybe suggesting that his choice in girlfriends has come back to bite him before now. His voice doesn't strain at any point as his style of rap is almost like he is just singing very quickly - he doesn't even break a sweat. A second chorus is now sung which again is only Sammy's voice and the guitar.
Then everything dies out and Sammy makes an 'OOO' noise into the silver mic. Then he makes an 'AHH' sound so as to harmonise with himself. Then he makes a quick strum or two which then join in with the harmonies he has made.
This is the breakdown of the song, and he sings over it now, not holding onto his guitar, instead pressing the earphones to the side of his head.

"Please don’t go,
Please don’t go,
I don’t want you to stay,
But I’ll wait forever and a day,
Until you come back and you say,
That you want me to come play,
I don’t want you to stay, but please don’t go."

Then he presses the stop button so that he can sing a final line or so before the final chorus over the emptiness.

"Oh no,
Please don’t go!"

He presses the loop pedal again to reinstate the harmonies he has created with himself, and then starts to strum at his guitar again as he sings the final chorus.

"I’ve had enough of all these games, no I don’t know!
I don’t want you to stay, but please don’t go!
I’ve had enough of all these games, no I don’t know!
I don’t want you to stay, but please don’t go!"

The song finishes and he steps on the pedal to stop the harmonies; he smiles at the camera and takes the headphones off as he walks out of the back of the recording booth.

UserPostedImage
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 24 June 2011 23:41:09(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

OOC: Brilliantly written again. Great job.
Offline Matticus  
#10 Posted : 24 June 2011 23:41:34(UTC)
Matticus

Man

OOC: Brilliantly written again. Great job.

OOC: Thank youu :)
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline Andre Gandra  
#11 Posted : 24 June 2011 23:45:22(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Magie: So emotional.. Love the song!

OOC: really well written, it makes me re-write all my upcoming live rps.. LOL
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
Offline Matticus  
#12 Posted : 24 June 2011 23:46:19(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post

Sammy: Thak you Magie, means a lot.

OOC: Haha, i'm sure yours are all good :)
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline RoseJapanFan  
#13 Posted : 24 June 2011 23:48:03(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Hannah Beth: Great performance! And of course ive heard of you, you are like amazing. :)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

Offline Matticus  
#14 Posted : 24 June 2011 23:49:11(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Hannah Beth: Great performance! And of course ive heard of you, you are like amazing. :)

Sammy: Wow, it is pretty crazy for an artist as big as yourself to have heard of me - i mean i'm still only playing gigs of around 300 people!
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline Andre Gandra  
#15 Posted : 24 June 2011 23:50:13(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)

Taking out my laziness.. yeah I'll try to do my best.. but my live rps are stuck to technical descriptions, you wrote an emotional and enjoyable reading rp... I'm gonna have to copy your idea! HAHA lol;p
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
Offline Matticus  
#16 Posted : 24 June 2011 23:52:47(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Taking out my laziness.. yeah I'll try to do my best.. but my live rps are stuck to technical descriptions, you wrote an emotional and enjoyable reading rp... I'm gonna have to copy your idea! HAHA lol;p

OOC: Haha, thanks - go for it ;)
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline GirlSpice  
#17 Posted : 25 June 2011 00:20:56(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Aimée: loved tha' interview bbz, yew got it goin' on yup, get it gorl HAYYYY!! hehehehe. lovin' tha performance too yup, that some deep stuff goin' on, ma' tortoise frédric love yew too yup, he a big big fan and he hard to please so take tha' compliment yup.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
Offline Matticus  
#18 Posted : 25 June 2011 00:23:24(UTC)
Matticus

Man

Originally Posted by: GirlSpice Go to Quoted Post
Aimée: loved tha' interview bbz, yew got it goin' on yup, get it gorl HAYYYY!! hehehehe. lovin' tha performance too yup, that some deep stuff goin' on, ma' tortoise frédric love yew too yup, he a big big fan and he hard to please so take tha' compliment yup.

Sammy: Thank you very much Aimée; means a lot.

OOC: I do love this character of yours xD
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype

Offline GirlSpice  
#19 Posted : 25 June 2011 00:27:02(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)

Sammy: Thank you very much Aimée; means a lot.

OOC: I do love this character of yours xD

OOC: Thank you LOL and may I say this new character of yours looks very promising as C4AJoh pointed out! The stuff you've done so far with him is great.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
Offline Matticus  
#20 Posted : 25 June 2011 00:28:49(UTC)
Matticus

Man

OOC: Thank you LOL and may I say this new character of yours looks very promising as C4AJoh pointed out! The stuff you've done so far with him is great.

OOC: Thank you :D he is probably the first one of my characters that i have a proper full on interest in xD
Sammy Griffin

Matt Young

Fathers of Fury

Buzz & Hype