logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 22 September 2011 22:49:03(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8536 time(s) in 2673 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: Something Old, Something New
Released: 25, September 2011
Format:Digital Download, CD Single
Recorded: July 2009, Capitol Studios, Los Angeles, California
Genre: Rock, Alt Rock, Pop-Punk
Length: 3:57
Label: Nomad Records!
Producer: Ryan Ross Hernandez, Damion Holmes, Amy Meyer
Writer(s): Amy Meyer, Justin Mullen

Something Old, Something New is the fourth single from American rock band, Riot! In The Boulevard. Set to be released on 25 September 2011 by Nomad Records!, it follows a string of successful singles from the teenage rock band as they’ve quickly made a name for themselves in the music industry. The song has been strongly praised by critics since it appeared on the bands self-titled debut in the summer, it closed the album out and one metacritic review by Lukey Comatose said, ‘The album finale contains the kind of chorus that could end up staying with you for weeks too. Isn’t that a great way to end an album? The chorus is as stand out as it is typical of Riot! “Something Old, Something New, Something Fragile/Will My Broken Heart Do/Something Old, Something New, Something Dying/It’s Sent To You.” I can just picture thousands of teens chanting along in time all summer long.
It is reportedly going to be one of the final singles from the Vegas based rock band’s self-titled debut.

Background
‘Something Old, Something New’ was written between February – June 2011 by Amy Meyer and Justin Mullen and was recorded at Capitol Studios in Los Angeles in July 2011 for their debut album. The song is about a teenage love and the difficulties that come with it.
The song opens with a Bass intro, quickly followed by Drums provided by Nathan Mullen, as the song progresses the music continues it’s fiery pace and energetic feeling, Justin provides another memorable guitar solo half-way through the song and it’s chorus is the archetypal Riot! Track, it’s catchy chorus is of the kind that could get stuck in your head for ages, “Something Old, Something New, Something Fragile/Will My Broken Heart Do/Something Old, Something New, Something Dying/It’s Sent To You.” which is followed by “Will You Regret Me, Will You Forget Me/Will You Kiss Me, Will You Miss Me/Will You Regret Me, Will You Forget Me/Will You Kiss Me, Will You Miss Me.”

Songwriter’s Analysis
When I’m writing songs I try to find something that a lot of people can relate to and heartbreak is obviously something I’m pretty sure 95% of people have gone through, obviously you can’t deny that our primary fanbase is predominantly teenagers and we embrace that. But as a songwriter I try to create something a little different, I mean the themes of a lot of our songs are things that have been sung about a lot in the past, so my main task as a songwriter is to try to create something that sounds a little different lyrically and then I think once you’ve got that basis then the rest can come pretty easily.
Once I have the theme then I try to come up with a hook that not only adds to the song but also something that hopefully sticks with you, all the best songs do that and I think those who’ve heard our debut album will notice that I’m a little obsessed with killer choruses and hooks and I think this song in particular has that maybe more than any other song on the album and there’s two hooks that I think stay in your head on this song with the pre-chorus, “Will You Regret Me, Will You Forget Me/Will You Kiss Me, Will You Miss Me.” Which leads into the chorus, “Something Old, Something New/Something Fragile, Will My Broken Heart Do/Something Old, Something New/Something Dying, It’s Sent To You.” I think it sticks in your mind when the song is over and although a lot of people hate songs that do that, as a songwriter it’s something I personally enjoy creating and I think that this song from the album is one that sticks in your head more than others.

- Amy Meyer

Lyrics

Wearing Boots And Deadly Leather
Don’t Feel So Good, Under The Weather
Come Over And See Me, I’m On My Own
This Burning House, Doesn’t Feel Like Home
---
A Message Left On My Answer Machine
Your Not Gonna Be Around, Your The Leaving Scene
A Bottomless Pit, Is Where I’m Falling
I’m Slowly Dying And Your Not Calling
---
I’ll Give You Everything, All Of My Heart
You’ll Take It Fully And Tear It Apart
This Pain I Feel, Is Quite Like Dying
I Can’t Love You, But I’m Still Trying
---
Will You Regret Me, Will You Forget Me
Will You Kiss Me, Will You Miss Me
---
So You’ll Move On Soon And Live Your Life
A Bunch Of Kids And A Stunning Wife
The Day Will Dawn When I Feel So Lost
I’ll Look For Love, At All Cost
---
---
A Gift For You Will Arrive Soon
Open It Alone, In Your Bedroom
You’ll See Just The Depths Of My Love That’s True
I’m Sending A Gift And It’s For You
---
Something Old, Something New, Something Fragile
Will My Broken Heart Do
Something Old, Something New, Something Dying
It’s Sent To You
---
---
Something Old, Something New, Something Fragile
Will My Broken Heart Do
Something Old, Something New, Something Dying
It’s Sent To You
---

Personnel
Amy Meyer – Lead Vocals, Lyrics, Producer
Justin Mullen – Lead Guitar, Lyrics, Backing Vocals
Jason Greenberg – Bass Guitar, Backing Vocals
Nathan Mullen – Drums, Percussion
Ryan Ross Hernandez – Producer
Damion Holmes – Producer
Danny Allen – Mixing, Engineering
Offline infinite135  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2011 23:05:48(UTC)
infinite135

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Riot! In the Boulevard have released their fourth single already? Jesus, it seemed only yesterday that you guys were hyping up for Sweet Little Fantasy's. How time flies... it's making me feel old, haha. Like your other two singles, I can definitely see this one climbing to the top positions on the charts. You guys deserve it, of course. Just please don't let all this success go to your heads when you record your second album. I have really high hopes for your future releases, after all.

-Eric Quillington
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2011 23:11:14(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: infinite135 Go to Quoted Post
Riot! In the Boulevard have released their fourth single already? Jesus, it seemed only yesterday that you guys were hyping up for Sweet Little Fantasy's. How time flies... it's making me feel old, haha. Like your other two singles, I can definitely see this one climbing to the top positions on the charts. You guys deserve it, of course. Just please don't let all this success go to your heads when you record your second album. I have really high hopes for your future releases, after all.

-Eric Quillington

Amy: Thanks, it really means a lot coming from Eric Quillington and yeah it's been a pretty crazy few months, I'm hoping that this is the final single from the album because, you know we don't wanna start boring people. But thanks, we love the success that we've had but I wanna keep doing what we've been doing, making music the same way and hopefully the next record will be even better, I've been listening to The Cure a lot recently when I've been writing haha, not sure if other people will see that as a particularly good thing but I do :)
Offline Mckenzie-  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2011 01:16:29(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Nate: This is great! And your right, the song especially the hooks are stuck in my head.

OOC: Love your track descriptions, there all very detailed and brilliant.
retired x
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 23 September 2011 01:17:59(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Mckenzie- Go to Quoted Post
Nate: This is great! And your right, the song especially the hooks are stuck in my head.

OOC: Love your track descriptions, there all very detailed and brilliant.

Amy: Thanks, we aim to please ... or drive people insane, either way I'm fine with.

OOC: Thanks :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2011 22:25:53(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

"SINGLE AVAILABLE FROM TODAY!!!"