logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

16 Pages«<13141516>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rincewind  
#281 Posted : 27 November 2012 07:26:00(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
just finished red dead redemption.... fuck thats one bummer of an ending...

and Guildy... know what you mean about ACII, im still on the Rome mission and i just cant be arsed to finish it... let alone buy any of the other ones...
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline asdf  
#282 Posted : 27 November 2012 07:30:26(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post

and Guildy... know what you mean about ACII, im still on the Rome mission and i just cant be arsed to finish it... let alone buy any of the other ones...

Red Dead is a bit of a bummer ending, but it's also one of the best I think I've ever seen in a video game or other wise. In a way, I knew it was coming. But I refused to accept it until I saw the credits roll. Perfection. lol
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Rincewind  
#283 Posted : 27 November 2012 07:38:19(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

same
and im just like:
thanks 1 user thanked Rincewind for this useful post.
asdf on 27/11/2012(UTC)
Offline Aj  
#284 Posted : 27 November 2012 09:18:09(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post

My personal favourite game of all time, love everything about RDR don't think it's possible to get much better.

But I also love the AC series, really recommend sticking through the repetitive bits think the stories awesome in it especially Ezio.
Offline forkboy  
#285 Posted : 27 November 2012 09:18:12(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post
I finished Assassin's Creed II finally (over a year since I started it). The ending of that game is a pretty big "what the fuck?" moment, but I was so burnt out at that point by having to replay a mission in one of the DLCs over and over to pass it that my reaction was more like relief.

Started playing Brotherhood, seems fun enough, but it might well be the last Assassin's Creed game I play. I just can't bring myself to care about the universe that much anymore. I miss all the philosophical stuff from the first one that they seem to have just thrown out of a window. Ezio's fine, and I love the whole corrupt Borgia thing (reminds me of The Antipope by Robert Rankin), but I guess I just don't really buy the Assassin's brotherhood thing outside the context of the crusades, Hassan-i Sabbah, Hashshashin, Firdous e Bareen, all that weird stuff. Plus, the controls are still a bit of a pain. Certain times you think you're going to make a jump easily, but instead of jumping straight off the roof, he goes off at 45 degrees and plunges to his death, or you try to climb a box, and as soon as he reaches the top he jumps off the side and lands on a civilian carrying boxes and suddenly a hundred guards are bearing down on you. Or you stab a dude ten seconds after a mission starts and then fail the mission, but the second time you stab him with the same timing, same place, no difference, spotted somehow, by a guard you can't see. Repeat ad infinitum.

So I had a big post written out, & went to push post not noticing that the router had restarted itself. And now its gone. But I'll summarise, or try. I sort of see what you mean. I just finished Assassins Creed 3 today, never finished Brotherhood (I'm sure I got reasonably close but lost interest. Some neat things but it just seemed pointless really), didn't even touch Revelations. And I think that's me with the series. For the foreseeable future at least. Maybe I'll come back to it with Assassins Creed 4 assuming that's 3 or 4 years down the line, but if there's new Brotherhood/Revelations spin-offs then I'm out, despite the fact its my old man who buys all these games. He loves them. Think AssCree3 is the first not pre-owned game he's bought since Uncharted 3.

In other gaming news, I got Tropico 4 in the Steam sale & it is a hell of a lot of fun. And I need to finish episodes 4 & 5 of The Walking Dead sometime soon. And actually I think I should finish Arkham Asylum which I haven't touched since my 360 RRoD'd about 18 months ago. At least it feels like 18 months, maybe it isn't quite that long. I intend to get X-Com at some point down the line. And Mass Effect 3. I have no idea why I haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet, I fucking adored Mass Effect 1 & 2. I've not gotten the new Football Manager, because well, I don't see the point. I'm still playing FM12, so buying 13 just because it is out seems redundant. Usually I'm burnt out of FM by August/September & then have a couple of months off before the new one, but not this year. So that's great.

Right now the main things I play are Tropico 4, FM12, World of MMA 3 & Pro Cycling Manager 2011. 3 of those are sports management games ffs. One is an city builder type thing.

I need to finish Sleeping Dogs at some point, it was a really good game, lots of fun, & I'm sure I'm only 2 or 3 missions from the end of it. I stopped because I was getting annoyed by a mission but that was a nearly 2 months ago so maybe I can reappproach it. And that's my gaming digest. Fuck, this was initially just going to be a quick note on AC3
Offline Gildermershina  
#286 Posted : 27 November 2012 11:50:04(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I think the thing that bugs me about the story of Assassin's Creed is that there's clearly an endgame, where you're Desmond in modern times, right? But the series is obviously going to keep stalling for time with side-stories until it starts to decline in sales and they have to resolve the entire thing in one last ditch game.

I'm generally fine with something being strung out and evolving naturally into something grander, but I think that only really works when you can't tell what really lies at the end of the journey until the end of that journey.

Desperately want to play Fez.

Edited by user 27 November 2012 11:51:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#287 Posted : 27 November 2012 12:36:09(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
3 is Desmond's end-game in the same way that ME3 was Sheppard's end-game but there's still a lot of room for characters to come in. This probably doesn't spoil that much, but the biggest thing I disliked about AC3 is that Desmond never really became an Ezio or Altair, he had a set role but not an /interesting/ one.

I'd skip Arkham Asylum and head straight to City, it is so good it's not even funny, and speaking as a guy who can rip through a good single-player action game in like 2 days, City took me like a week?

Actually, the biggest bang for my buck that's not a rigid RPG that I've bought is Mass Effect 3 and that's because the side-quests have actual incentive. Not that Saints Row 1 - 2 bullshit where I had to do side-missions to get the story through with, the side-missions in ME3 had actual ripples with the main story and gave me closure with characters from the previous 2.

Every month or so I get into a WMMA binge where I go back to my British Cage Fighting promotion and just start to book.

Lastly, fucking Kenny.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#288 Posted : 27 November 2012 14:57:48(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: DistortedAudio Go to Quoted Post
3 is Desmond's end-game in the same way that ME3 was Sheppard's end-game but there's still a lot of room for characters to come in. This probably doesn't spoil that much, but the biggest thing I disliked about AC3 is that Desmond never really became an Ezio or Altair, he had a set role but not an /interesting/ one.

Jeez, spoiler alert. But yeah, I'm kind of intrigued to continue if that's the case.

Of course I would be right back on board if they did an Assassin in Victorian London or if they really wanted to push the boat out into weird territory, I would be totally down with one set around the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs, there's a whole wealth of stuff there involving entheogens that could really be interesting, plus they could totally do some awesome shit with the Florentine Codex, and all those other codices. Man that would be awesome.

I started Arkham City, but I haven't gotten far with it. It seems too big, and part of me is turned off by the size of it. Arkham Asylum was concise, and perfectly formed. Seemed exactly the right size to me.

Edited by user 27 November 2012 15:00:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline DistortedAudio  
#289 Posted : 27 November 2012 15:17:00(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

It's not much of a spoiler alert, but let me say that his arc while long-winded felt like it closed too quickly. Not the hastily written ending that other games had, and the ending wasn't quite bad, it just felt wrong for the series in terms of direction. Like writing yourself into a box. But yeah, the marketing and all of the developers had basically said, AC3 will be the last Desmond game, in the same way that ME3 was hyping up the Reapers' arrival as Sheppard's last stand and Halo 3 as Chief's (even though we all knew that was a fucking lie.)

In terms of how much more complex AC will get, I would say not much. I really liked ME because it had a very hardcore sci-fi fanbase that allowed it too fully explore and do whatever it wanted in terms of sci-fi. AC taped more into the action gamers, people coming over from Uncharted (which is the absolute best series) and so on, so I don't think it'll be getting anymore complex or convoluted than it is.

One thing I really liked about AC3 is for the first time in the series, I understood just about every little thing. There's like a 7 minute (UNFUCKING SKIPPABLE) recap of the entire series that was really necessary. Also it closes a lot of character arcs, like Lucy's. That one surprised me, it turns out:

Arkham City seems too big but every piece works and there's several "Arkham Asylum" like structures within the map.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Rincewind  
#290 Posted : 27 November 2012 18:24:06(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Sleeping dogs is amazing and deserves to be played and finished by everyone!!
I really really want to see another rdr game now I've finished this one!
Ac is a lot bigger and better than aa

And now I'm of to France to live as a snow hermit for six months, all I will have gaming wise is a few total war games and arma II
Spare a thought for me
and im just like:
Offline DistortedAudio  
#291 Posted : 29 November 2012 14:46:03(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Bought a PS2 again for Persona 4, of my favorite games

Then I remembered that I have a grand total of 2 hours of free-time during the week, and the game's introduction is like an hour long.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#292 Posted : 29 November 2012 16:56:05(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

So I've played enough Brotherhood to get to the whole Assassin's guild thing. Press LB to call assassins? YES PLEASE.

Now I pretty much kill every single guard I see, just because why wouldn't I? Experience for my assassins, plus, so much fun to see a dude jump out of a straw-pile and stab a dude in the back. And then just run off and vanish. That mechanic alone has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for the series.
Offline forkboy  
#293 Posted : 29 November 2012 22:35:50(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post
So I've played enough Brotherhood to get to the whole Assassin's guild thing. Press LB to call assassins? YES PLEASE.

Now I pretty much kill every single guard I see, just because why wouldn't I? Experience for my assassins, plus, so much fun to see a dude jump out of a straw-pile and stab a dude in the back. And then just run off and vanish. That mechanic alone has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for the series.

I just sent them out to make money so I could buy new swords
Offline _Python_  
#294 Posted : 29 November 2012 22:45:01(UTC)
_Python_

Man
United States

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Anyone playing Red Dead on PS3?

It and SA-MP are about the only games I'm playing daily right now.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mckenzie-  
#295 Posted : 01 December 2012 06:43:18(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Anyone heard about THQ's Humble Bundle? They are giving away Metro 2033, Darksiders, Red Faction: Armageddon and three different Company of Heroes games for the PC all for however much you want. You can pay as little as $1 for all of them! Or if you pay over the average amount of everyone else, you also get the new Saints Row game!

They're doing it all for charity and you can reclaim it all for only 12 more days. It's a bargain, to buy them all separately it would cost $190.

http://www.humblebundle.com/
retired x
Offline forkboy  
#296 Posted : 02 December 2012 13:23:09(UTC)
forkboy

So I've ended up powering away with Mass Effect 3, at last. It's reminded why I fucking loved Mass Effect 3 to be honest. But I'm getting the vibe that the game is nearing its end, I have absolutely no fucking interest in playing this game online, so I've looked into an editor which would allow me to change the Galactic Readiness nonsense. But that's not stored in the single player save. Which seems ludicrous. And I don't want to look into it too deeply out of fear of coming across spoilers for a game that I've managed to avoid spoilers for for nearly 9 months.

I've already been made aware of one thing which is why I want to edit the Galactic Readiness, but it just doesn't seem possible. And an editor that can change the Military Readiness or whatever it is called is borked for whatever reason.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#297 Posted : 02 December 2012 15:03:10(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

The online isn't too bad. It's just wave-based multiplayer.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#298 Posted : 02 December 2012 15:33:39(UTC)
forkboy

I really don't like playing online games with people I don't know. I'll play with friends, I'll even play with people I've met with online in forums & such, but multiplayer with total strangers is not something I'm into. Plus the shooty parts really aren't the compelling moments of the Mass Effect series. It's still at its heart got an RPG story, even if many of the other RPG elements have gone by the wayside.
Offline forkboy  
#299 Posted : 07 December 2012 01:51:13(UTC)
forkboy

So I've been back to Crusader Kings 2, quite likely my game of 2012. Started a game with the Byzantine Empire to have a gander at the DLC game out for it a couple months back fleshing out the Roman empire. Taken back a large part of what was Roman territory, including southern Italy upto & including Rome, I've got 4 of the 5 patriarchs in place, just need Palestine. Which is a shame because the Fatimid caliphate is a terrifying looking beast. I've been able to take back a lot of territory in Anatolia from the Seljuks who have spent nearly 30 years in a civil war, but the other major Muslim power refuse to collapse on themselves & that is presenting me with problems. Despite my large stack of mercenary I'm outnumbered by the Fatimids.

I was confused with the Seljuk civil war for control so ended checking the ledger & it isn't even the longest on going conflict, there's been war between the Count of Nantes & the Duke of Brittany from 1081. It's now 1113. Madness
Offline Gildermershina  
#300 Posted : 07 December 2012 04:53:50(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post

I really don't like playing online games with people I don't know. I'll play with friends, I'll even play with people I've met with online in forums & such, but multiplayer with total strangers is not something I'm into. Plus the shooty parts really aren't the compelling moments of the Mass Effect series. It's still at its heart got an RPG story, even if many of the other RPG elements have gone by the wayside.

Yeah, the great thing about ME3's multiplayer stuff is that it's basically like taking a mission from the game, with waves of enemies, and then instead of having two other guys in your squad to manage, you just have three other guys running around like you. There's not much "teamwork" or interaction involved really.

The worst thing about multiplayer for me is typified by games like Counterstrike where if you aren't already really good at the game, it's too late, you will never be good, you will just keep getting single-shotted after shooting some guy eight times in the chest and he doesn't die. And there's maybe two or three weapons that people actually use. And there's like 18,000 maps but there might as well only be 1 fucking map because they've been playing exclusively on that map since the game started. Thankfully most multiplayer games are moving away from that by having an upgrade path, or skill specialisations, so you learn to be good at something small that you enjoy, instead of having to learn the one weapon everyone uses on the one map everyone plays over and over forever.

Edited by user 07 December 2012 04:55:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified