logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

16 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline TheCDs  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2010 06:22:33(UTC)
TheCDs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So everyone plays video games now it seems, even my great grandmother enjoys some Dr. Mario and Peggle now and then, so this is a place to discuss said games. Vent about a frustrating boss, ask for recommendations on games you might have missed, talk about what you are playing right now, and whatever else. Whether you play World of WarCraft 12 hours a day or play a few sessions of Peggle on your iPhone on the bus ride home this is the place to talk about it.

I just started Dragon Age: Origins (Ogrim, Male Dwarf Noble, Warrior) after getting through Mass Effect 2. I am fairly impressed so far by the game and it seems a worthy successor to Baldur's Gate. I am not far having just joined the Grey Wardens and finished my first major plot mission outside of the Origin story.

Edited by user 07 February 2010 07:13:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Rincewind  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2010 06:35:39(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
i like DAO a lot, its a fun one and makes a nice accesable RPG.. i do think they have dumbed down the actual RPG element of the game and made it into a slight hack n slash, but still veyr very enjoyable!
played it as a delvish elf rouge, a human noble warrior and am now going through as a dwarfen noble warrior as well (i can't help it i hate mages...)
other than that, waiting til i get back to the UK in may so i can buy Mass Effect 2...
oh and i play Total War empire quite a lot as well..
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline TheCDs  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2010 07:13:09(UTC)
TheCDs

I had started a dwarf commoner rogue, but a corrupted save file stopped me from playing him just before the joining quest. Between the frustration at losing the first few hours of my character and Mass Effect 2 I had not started until now. This is definitely more accessible than something like Baldur's Gate (I suspect EA had a hand in that) but as long as BioWare keeps making games like Mass Effect and DAO I am fine with making them more accessible.

One of the things that makes me the most frustrated when discussing DAO with my friends who have not played RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Torment, Fallout 2, or any of the old school style RPG games is the combat system. They came in expecting a hack'n'slash and the combat system isn't enough for them. They don't use the tactics menu, only control the player character (except to heal other characters) and lament that they press one key/button and start attacking. I have tried with no avail to convince them that the combat system is based off of games like those above where party management and tactics were a key component to winning a battle.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline xNightsidex  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2010 07:17:29(UTC)
xNightsidex

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I don't play video games. My ex lived on them.
Offline bikz  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2010 07:40:01(UTC)
bikz

Woman

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 78 post(s)
I play World of Warcraft : The Burning Crusade, or I will do when my computer's fixed. (I went through a lot of crap to get TBC, the box didn't come with the expansion pack, so we did some Blizzard-bothering. The day I finally get my account upgraded, my computer breaks down. Typical.) I'm still v. v. noobish, but I like what I've seen so far.
UserPostedImage
There is only one Rockstar Game - and it's your home! <-- still true (:
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence
Offline TheCDs  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2010 07:57:43(UTC)
TheCDs

bikz wrote:
I play World of Warcraft : The Burning Crusade, or I will do when my computer's fixed. (I went through a lot of crap to get TBC, the box didn't come with the expansion pack, so we did some Blizzard-bothering. The day I finally get my account upgraded, my computer breaks down. Typical.) I'm still v. v. noobish, but I like what I've seen so far.

No Lich King for you! I used to play WoW and was a fairly serious raider (did all the content in BC including Sunwell and got through the first tier of content in Lich King including all the "hard modes" such as 3-drake Sarth and 6 minute Maly). My account ran out a month or so before the Ulduar patch and I just got away and never played again. I spent inordinate amounts of time playing that game and thankfully was able to just let the account run out and step away.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline PANIC!  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2010 08:03:34(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
I have a PlayStation 3 which I rarely use for gaming rather more for blu-ray and to rent movies/tv shows through the network store. Only video games I have for the PS3 are both Uncharted games which were both probably the best videos game I've ever played. I care about the storyline of a video game just as much as I care about the gameplay of it. I'm pretty excited for the upcoming PS3-exclusive title Heavy Rain, which is a film noir thriller. The graphics I've seen so far aren't mind-blowing, but the storyline seems perfect from what I've read.
UserPostedImage
Offline maximys  
#8 Posted : 07 February 2010 10:02:40(UTC)
maximys

I cant wait to get Bioshock 2.
Masters of Destruction the band
Offline TheCDs  
#9 Posted : 07 February 2010 10:35:49(UTC)
TheCDs

maximys wrote:

I haven't decided if that is something I want. The first one was underwhelming to me, especially when in the context of all the praise it received. I get it did some great things with its storytelling, but the gameplay didn't deliver for me because of the difficulty. The game had no real consequences for death and that eliminated any real challenge. I was also unimpressed with the morality system, I am either the devil incarnate or the nicest guy to have ever lived. That all said, it wasn't a bad game but I haven't decided if I want to spend $60 on it new. I may grab it used or wait for the price to drop or a GotY edition to come out.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline troy211619  
#10 Posted : 07 February 2010 12:02:57(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Does anyone of you play Resident Evil?
zicon wrote:
So what is Role Play all about, Imagination?

Aj wrote:
I don't dislike pop, I dislike bad music.

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline Paradox  
#11 Posted : 07 February 2010 12:06:44(UTC)
Paradox

Man

I prefer Silent Hill's first games
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline maximys  
#12 Posted : 07 February 2010 12:19:21(UTC)
maximys

TheCDs wrote:
maximys wrote:

I haven't decided if that is something I want. The first one was underwhelming to me, especially when in the context of all the praise it received. I get it did some great things with its storytelling, but the gameplay didn't deliver for me because of the difficulty. The game had no real consequences for death and that eliminated any real challenge. I was also unimpressed with the morality system, I am either the devil incarnate or the nicest guy to have ever lived. That all said, it wasn't a bad game but I haven't decided if I want to spend $60 on it new. I may grab it used or wait for the price to drop or a GotY edition to come out.
It was still a hard game. The Big Daddy was hard to kill. Personaly, I think the gameplay was awesome.
Masters of Destruction the band
Offline TheCDs  
#13 Posted : 07 February 2010 12:37:32(UTC)
TheCDs

maximys wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
maximys wrote:

It was still a hard game. The Big Daddy was hard to kill. Personaly, I think the gameplay was awesome.

The Big Daddy was not hard to kill because you just died, walked two feet, and threw yourself at him again.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline troy211619  
#14 Posted : 07 February 2010 12:44:50(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Paradox wrote:

Well I think Resident Evil is better..
zicon wrote:

Aj wrote:

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline Paradox  
#15 Posted : 07 February 2010 13:08:49(UTC)
Paradox

Man

troy211619 wrote:
Paradox wrote:

Well I disagree
RP bands:

stephaniewazhere wrote:

Mod Edit - you failed...

Offline troy211619  
#16 Posted : 07 February 2010 13:13:36(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Paradox wrote:
troy211619 wrote:
Paradox wrote:

Well I disagree

I'm talking about the series, everything in the game goes well with the whole story, unlike Silent Hill, tha is why Resident Evil was able to make 3 movies(with one more coming) and Silent Hill has made only 1, its more than just a game, it's already an iconic masterpiece..
zicon wrote:

Aj wrote:

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline Paradox  
#17 Posted : 07 February 2010 13:27:31(UTC)
Paradox

Man

troy211619 wrote:
Paradox wrote:
troy211619 wrote:
Paradox wrote:

Well I disagree

I'm talking about the series, everything in the game goes well with the whole story, unlike Silent Hill, tha is why Resident Evil was able to make 3 movies(with one more coming) and Silent Hill has made only 1, its more than just a game, it's already an iconic masterpiece..

Well I honestly I think the movies from both series are a flaming piece of crap, but the first games from Silent Hill were amazing and it was one of the first games were what you chose actually mattered.
RP bands:

stephaniewazhere wrote:

Mod Edit - you failed...

Offline Captain Insano  
#18 Posted : 07 February 2010 13:31:23(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
All I ever really play these days is Football Manager, Cricket Captain and the Total War series. Attention is currently focused on Rome Total War and one of the best mods for it, Somnium Apostatae Juliani, which is basically three different campaigns starting in 355 AD, 361 AD and 365 AD. Extremely challenging, particularly as the Romans with hordes of Franks, Alemanni, Jazyges, Quaddi, Goths and the evil Sassanids nashing and snarling at the borders ready to pillage and plunder. Absolutely love this game...dont really need anything else at the moment (gaming wise)
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline troy211619  
#19 Posted : 07 February 2010 13:34:52(UTC)
troy211619

Man

Paradox wrote:
troy211619 wrote:
Paradox wrote:
troy211619 wrote:
Paradox wrote:

Well I disagree

Well I honestly I think the movies from both series are a flaming piece of crap, but the first games from Silent Hill were amazing and it was one of the first games were what you chose actually mattered.

You are right about the movies, and Silent Hill is a good game... But Resident Evil got me hooked because it's story was just amazing... I have played RE since I was 6 and have beaten every single game from the RE1,2,3,Code Veronica, both Outbreak File 1 and File 2., 4 and 5 and I realized the connection of the game.. That is the reason why i think RE is better...
zicon wrote:

Aj wrote:

Liam

UserPostedImage
Offline TheCDs  
#20 Posted : 07 February 2010 15:06:19(UTC)
TheCDs

troy211619 wrote:
Paradox wrote:
troy211619 wrote:
Paradox wrote:
troy211619 wrote:
Paradox wrote:

Well I disagree

You are right about the movies, and Silent Hill is a good game... But Resident Evil got me hooked because it's story was just amazing... I have played RE since I was 6 and have beaten every single game from the RE1,2,3,Code Veronica, both Outbreak File 1 and File 2., 4 and 5 and I realized the connection of the game.. That is the reason why i think RE is better...

I have always thought Silent Hill was better although I don't really like survival horror all that much. I will say however Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest games from the last generation. Silent Hill 2 is probably the best survival horror game I have played. The gameplay and controls suck for both series (with the exception of the new RE4 style that they have moved to). I always feel like when I move my character I am trying to parallel park a semi-truck. I don't really think either have a memorable or particularly compelling storyline although I do think Silent Hill does a better job of "getting into your head" as it were and being more of a psychological thriller. Just my thoughts.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is