logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

16 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gildermershina  
#41 Posted : 08 February 2010 22:24:37(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
TheCDs wrote:
Rincewind wrote:
Regan wrote:
Their's only like 3 games I'm looking forward to this year. New Splinter Cell(Always been a huge fan of the games), Halo: Reach, and UFC 2010. Other then that really don't care for many games now unless they catch my eye alot like Mass Effect 2 has. I want to buy it and I never got the chance to play Fallout 3 so I'm probally gonna be buying that soon.

fallout 3 is huge. get the GOTY version and you have enough game to last a year at least!

Yes Fallout 3 is one of the best RPGs I have played this generation and that is saying a lot because there have been some great ones.

See, I completed Fallout 3, and almost all of the sidequests (none of the DLC though), must have spent a good 80 hours on that game, but if I'm quite honest, I didn't think it was that good of a game. It's one of those games, that while I'm playing it, with its bugs left right and centre, wandering about this dull landscape looking desperately for things to do, only to go "oh well that sounds rubbish" the moment I get a quest... Somehow, despite these things, I kept on playing it. Bethesda just seem to make games like that. They're more addictive and compulsive than actual fun. But now that I've finished it, I've got no compulsion to go back to do the DLC or anything.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Mt. Epic  
#42 Posted : 08 February 2010 23:58:35(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
forkboy wrote:
GoW 1 is on Live, I'd assume 2 is as well. And it's reasonably fun if you like that sort of thing. Which I don't really.

yeah, I remember now, but I didn't really like it. The game is really fun, but it's more of one of those games where you call over all your buddies to play at your house.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline TheCDs  
#43 Posted : 09 February 2010 07:34:40(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
Rincewind wrote:
Regan wrote:
Their's only like 3 games I'm looking forward to this year. New Splinter Cell(Always been a huge fan of the games), Halo: Reach, and UFC 2010. Other then that really don't care for many games now unless they catch my eye alot like Mass Effect 2 has. I want to buy it and I never got the chance to play Fallout 3 so I'm probally gonna be buying that soon.

fallout 3 is huge. get the GOTY version and you have enough game to last a year at least!

Yes Fallout 3 is one of the best RPGs I have played this generation and that is saying a lot because there have been some great ones.

See, I completed Fallout 3, and almost all of the sidequests (none of the DLC though), must have spent a good 80 hours on that game, but if I'm quite honest, I didn't think it was that good of a game. It's one of those games, that while I'm playing it, with its bugs left right and centre, wandering about this dull landscape looking desperately for things to do, only to go "oh well that sounds rubbish" the moment I get a quest... Somehow, despite these things, I kept on playing it. Bethesda just seem to make games like that. They're more addictive and compulsive than actual fun. But now that I've finished it, I've got no compulsion to go back to do the DLC or anything.

I ended up getting the GotY edition to get the DLC and I understand your point. To be honest I really think you're right and I would like to rescind my previous statement. After thinking effects that Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age had compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3 it was more of an addictive feeling than having a ton of fun. And yes the game is buggy as hell.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Rincewind  
#44 Posted : 09 February 2010 11:11:07(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
TheCDs wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
Rincewind wrote:
Regan wrote:

I ended up getting the GotY edition to get the DLC and I understand your point. To be honest I really think you're right and I would like to rescind my previous statement. After thinking effects that Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age had compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3 it was more of an addictive feeling than having a ton of fun. And yes the game is buggy as hell.

meh i love it.... it feels much more life like and therefore involving for me..
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline TheCDs  
#45 Posted : 10 February 2010 13:20:09(UTC)
TheCDs

Played Left 4 Dead 2 tonight for the first time in about a month. I forgot how much fun VS. Mode is.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline forkboy  
#46 Posted : 10 February 2010 22:24:53(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
God I love Mass Effect 2
Offline TheCDs  
#47 Posted : 11 February 2010 03:37:57(UTC)
TheCDs

forkboy wrote:
God I love Mass Effect 2

So do I. I am replaying Mass Effect 1 so I can get my renegade female Shephard into ME2.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline forkboy  
#48 Posted : 11 February 2010 04:28:20(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I'm well into my 2nd play through of Mass Effect 2. I imagine I will have finished it twice in under two weeks. Which frankly is insane and unprecedented.
Offline Rincewind  
#49 Posted : 11 February 2010 07:00:45(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

forkboy wrote:
I'm well into my 2nd play through of Mass Effect 2. I imagine I will have finished it twice in under two weeks. Which frankly is insane and unprecedented.

gah, so annoying being stuck in the Austrian Tyrol until may so can't fekkin get any new games....

am replaying Batman Arkham asylum... its good, but not as much fun the second time through :(
and im just like:
Offline Gildermershina  
#50 Posted : 11 February 2010 07:08:24(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Rincewind wrote:
forkboy wrote:

gah, so annoying being stuck in the Austrian Tyrol until may so can't fekkin get any new games....

am replaying Batman Arkham asylum... its good, but not as much fun the second time through :(

Steam?
Offline TheCDs  
#51 Posted : 11 February 2010 07:26:35(UTC)
TheCDs

forkboy wrote:

I am taking a break because I am still working through Dragon Age and the last bits of Borderlands.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Rincewind  
#52 Posted : 11 February 2010 13:35:36(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Gildermershina wrote:
Rincewind wrote:
forkboy wrote:

Steam?

steam is shit, i have crappy internet access... and altlough i get to ski every single day and don;t need to pay bills, food, rent etc i get paid fuck all and have no money...
and im just like:
Offline TheCDs  
#53 Posted : 11 February 2010 16:57:19(UTC)
TheCDs

Anyone picked up BioShock 2 yet? I am interested to hear about what some people who aren't paid games journalists think of it.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Gildermershina  
#54 Posted : 11 February 2010 20:21:23(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

I have mixed feelings about the first Bioshock so I don't think I'll be getting Bioshock 2.

People said it looked great, I thought some of it looked really really bad. They said it was a great evocative setting, well that much is true. They said the story was great, I thought it was good except for those repeated occasions where it's hamstrung by ridiculous videogame logic. They said it had emergent AI and tough moral choices, I found neither.

I hear good things about Bioshock 2, but at this point I'm not excited by the prospect at all.
Offline TheCDs  
#55 Posted : 11 February 2010 21:42:30(UTC)
TheCDs

Gildermershina wrote:
I have mixed feelings about the first Bioshock so I don't think I'll be getting Bioshock 2.

People said it looked great, I thought some of it looked really really bad. They said it was a great evocative setting, well that much is true. They said the story was great, I thought it was good except for those repeated occasions where it's hamstrung by ridiculous videogame logic. They said it had emergent AI and tough moral choices, I found neither.

I hear good things about Bioshock 2, but at this point I'm not excited by the prospect at all.

I never actually played BioShock all the way through. I found it became tedious simply because the best strategy was to continuously fling yourself at enemies until they all die knowing that if you die you will respawn seconds later mere feet away. Since none of the enemies regenerated health It made the game trivially easy and I lost interest after harvesting the first Little Sister. I can't really make any more observations about it since I didn't experience the complete story. Although I will say the moral choices, from what I could tell, came down to harvest or don't. Not really a "tough" choice, you are either the savior and hero or the devil and villain. To me a tough moral choice would be one where the result of both the "good" and "evil" route both present a unique list of pros and cons. I feel like the final decisions in both Mass Effect games represent that type of choice best.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Gildermershina  
#56 Posted : 12 February 2010 04:26:51(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

TheCDs wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

I never actually played BioShock all the way through. I found it became tedious simply because the best strategy was to continuously fling yourself at enemies until they all die knowing that if you die you will respawn seconds later mere feet away. Since none of the enemies regenerated health It made the game trivially easy and I lost interest after harvesting the first Little Sister. I can't really make any more observations about it since I didn't experience the complete story. Although I will say the moral choices, from what I could tell, came down to harvest or don't. Not really a "tough" choice, you are either the savior and hero or the devil and villain. To me a tough moral choice would be one where the result of both the "good" and "evil" route both present a unique list of pros and cons. I feel like the final decisions in both Mass Effect games represent that type of choice best.

Exactly. Bioshock's one choice played out over and over again was basically asking whether you want more now, or more later - if you don't harvest them, you get periodic rewards, which in the end add up to more than what you would get playing it the other way - not to mention the fact that about half of the stuff you could wasn't even worth buying. It kind of negated the choice.

In Mass Effect 2, the game repeatedly tempted me to take impulsive actions, and I had to actually resist those urges to pull the renegade interrupt. Oftentimes the decisions you make are actually putting your principles before a reward, or putting your desire for vengeance and adrenaline ahead of the greater good. It's still not at the level where it completely affects the game as a whole, but at least it affects your relationship with the characters and the world. People play the whole range of styles in the Mass Effects. In Bioshock, it seems like everyone plays the "good" way because it quickly becomes apparent that it offers greater reward.
Offline Aj  
#57 Posted : 12 February 2010 07:27:49(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

Exactly. Bioshock's one choice played out over and over again was basically asking whether you want more now, or more later - if you don't harvest them, you get periodic rewards, which in the end add up to more than what you would get playing it the other way - not to mention the fact that about half of the stuff you could wasn't even worth buying. It kind of negated the choice.

In Mass Effect 2, the game repeatedly tempted me to take impulsive actions, and I had to actually resist those urges to pull the renegade interrupt. Oftentimes the decisions you make are actually putting your principles before a reward, or putting your desire for vengeance and adrenaline ahead of the greater good. It's still not at the level where it completely affects the game as a whole, but at least it affects your relationship with the characters and the world. People play the whole range of styles in the Mass Effects. In Bioshock, it seems like everyone plays the "good" way because it quickly becomes apparent that it offers greater reward.

I personally thought Bioshock was brilliant. I can't see where you found any faults in the graphics, 99% of it was absolutely beautiful and the whole atmosphere around the game was so intense and actually quite scary; I mean walking through corridors flooded with water because of the place actually falling apart, then shitting yourself as your confronted by a massive Big Daddy only to discover the Little Sister hasn't met it yet and it peacefully walks past you. Then you have to make the decision whether or not to go and kill this pretty much harmless creature and then harvest and absorb a little girl, or leave it be. I found that, though pretty simple in the number of choices, to be a pretty interesting and morally difficult choice. Yeah I guess Mass Effect may be better, haven't played the second one, but I thought that Bioshock's were more than satisfying. I loved the Plasmids, and unlike you thought all of them were pretty cool but my favourite was the insects just because it was just so fucking sick.

Also I thought GTA4's moral choices, though few and far between, were actually quite good. I mean yeah shooting one of two criminals in the head may not sound that tougher choice but if you actually really dig deep into the game and get all the relationships up and become friends with these people it's actually kinda weird cos your SPOILER KINDA sitting there aiming down a sniper scope at a two brothers - a corrupt cop and a heroin-addict mobster and you have to choose whether or not to give the addict a second chance at life (you find out his fuck-ups through his other family members and the missions), or you can choose to give the cop a chance of getting rid of all his past and starting fresh for good with the risk of him actually turning out to be a scumbag. I mean yeah these outcomes might not effect you but in a weird way they do at the time, and it's really down to whether or not you get 'engaged' in the story or if your just out for 100% - in which case its clear which ones the better one to kill. But yeah, my rant over.

Offline TheCDs  
#58 Posted : 12 February 2010 07:51:45(UTC)
TheCDs

Aj wrote:
I personally thought Bioshock was brilliant. I can't see where you found any faults in the graphics, 99% of it was absolutely beautiful and the whole atmosphere around the game was so intense and actually quite scary; I mean walking through corridors flooded with water because of the place actually falling apart, then shitting yourself as your confronted by a massive Big Daddy only to discover the Little Sister hasn't met it yet and it peacefully walks past you. Then you have to make the decision whether or not to go and kill this pretty much harmless creature and then harvest and absorb a little girl, or leave it be. I found that, though pretty simple in the number of choices, to be a pretty interesting and morally difficult choice. Yeah I guess Mass Effect may be better, haven't played the second one, but I thought that Bioshock's were more than satisfying. I loved the Plasmids, and unlike you thought all of them were pretty cool but my favourite was the insects just because it was just so fucking sick.

Also I thought GTA4's moral choices, though few and far between, were actually quite good. I mean yeah shooting one of two criminals in the head may not sound that tougher choice but if you actually really dig deep into the game and get all the relationships up and become friends with these people it's actually kinda weird cos your SPOILER KINDA sitting there aiming down a sniper scope at a two brothers - a corrupt cop and a heroin-addict mobster and you have to choose whether or not to give the addict a second chance at life (you find out his fuck-ups through his other family members and the missions), or you can choose to give the cop a chance of getting rid of all his past and starting fresh for good with the risk of him actually turning out to be a scumbag. I mean yeah these outcomes might not effect you but in a weird way they do at the time, and it's really down to whether or not you get 'engaged' in the story or if your just out for 100% - in which case its clear which ones the better one to kill. But yeah, my rant over.

I thought BioShock had a lot of potential and did some things very well. The story, from the small segment I played, was quite compelling for me and very well told. I thought the gameplay ideas were for the most part quite good. The problem was the execution was a little off. The game didn't present a real challenge because of the ridiculously easy respawn system. I looked up the ending and did some digging and learned that the game decides if you are good or evil based on how many Little Sisters you harvest, if you harvest more than you let free you are the bad guy, no grey area. The atmosphere was something I did really like. It felt vibrant and alive but dark and desolate at the same time. I didn't think it was a bad game but it definitely didn't deliver on its potential.

Also I played GTA4 and enjoyed it but I never really felt like there were real moral choices. I felt like they were tacked on for no other reason than to have them in the game since every open ended game now presents the "morality" mechanic. I never felt any attachment to any of the characters in that game, nor would I want to. I don't play GTA games for the story, I play them for the freedom to cause utter chaos.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Gildermershina  
#59 Posted : 12 February 2010 09:13:06(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Aj wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

My problem with Bioshock's graphics is demonstrable thus:

Pretty good:
UserPostedImage

Really fucking bad:
UserPostedImage

The most common enemy, and indeed every single human character in the game, looked unbelievably awful, animated poorly, and that really bothered me, because the Big Daddies, and the world itself are pretty well realised. But for some reason skin and clothing both have the same ridiculously contoured and ridiculously shiny look that make them look like they've been wrapped in plastic and lit by tiny spotlights. And they all walk about with their arms out at ridiculously inhuman angles. I know Splicers are supposed to be ugly, but these didn't look ugly because of their facial modifications or their deformities, but because their clothes and skin were covered in huge unmoving pitch-black creases and folds offset by ultra-contrast shiny wet highlights.

It has always bothered me how nobody else really seems to pick up on that, because to me it's glaringly obvious and extremely off-putting.
Offline TheCDs  
#60 Posted : 14 February 2010 04:10:00(UTC)
TheCDs

I keep reading news and it makes me happier and happier that I don't live in Australia. Seriously, that MA15+ rating sucks and I hope they get the 18+ rating passed. Every time a game like Fallout 3 or Left 4 Dead 2 gets released over there I always wait to hear how they are going to censor it to keep it from being banned. Plus last I heard MMOs were illegal over there as well.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is