logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Famouss7x7  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2013 08:14:44(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Genre: Pop, Trance, Pop-rock
Release Date:
Label: Kiss My Pop
Producers: James Urie, Peter Katias, Max Martin
Song Writers: Gemma Kane-Urie, J. Urie

Lashes. The beauty, the glitz, the glamor, the competition. You may or may not have heard of the girlgroup who rose to fame last year after partaking in the world biggest singing competition, Starfactory. With their risque performances and undeniable chemistry shown in as early as their first performance, not only did the judges believe that the females were destined for greatness but many of the viewers at home felt the same way. Although they did not win the competition, their impact alone on the competition almost instantly gave the girls a gateway to expand pass the competition. After releasing their debut single to a commercial success the band made up of Gemma Kane, Natayla, Dobros, Lily Rose, and Mercedes Gomez disbanded. The clash of egos, direction of the group and the eagerness of each member to do their own solo work seemed to be the only logical reason as to why the girls broke up. We may or may not ever know what the true story is. But we are not here to talk about Lashes.

Gemma Kane, who was known as the front woman of Lashes and ultimately the founder has had quite a good year away from music. After marrying James Urie in late 2012, Kane announced that she had been working on solo music and eventually an album to all be released in 2013. Her supporters have been waiting for quite a while as they anticipate her solo debut and after being signed to Kiss My Pop in April of 2013, we have been waiting for the exact time of when Mrs. Urie would be debuting her solo work, and most of all whether or not she could stand on her own without the girls of Lashes by her side. Today, is the day where all the Gemma Kane fans will finally see what she has been working on for all this time. With summer 2013 just right around the corner many singers, rappers and musicians are easily getting ready for the capitalize off of the summers music season and the singles and albums have been stacking up. Today, we get the addition, and a possible insight into how Gemma really feels about the Lashes turmoil?

We Had The Power is the debut single by pop recording artist Gemma Kane. The song was written by Gemma Kane with an additional writing credit going to James Urie. The song starts off with a subtle guitar riff that taps quickly but quietly for the first three seconds of the song without any type of vocals. Right after the three second mark, the guitar riffs still continue to sway lightly under Gemma's voice which is known to be powerful, but she makes it all the more strong and captivating over the guitar riffs under her voice. She sings: We had it all, we had the spirit|We're beautiful, and revealing |We stood so tall, we had the feeling |Yet looks are so deceiving. Gemma sings with much emotion, already making the opening part of the song easily captivating. After her previous lines, she continues to sing with unorthodoxed eerie beats that begin to pound in an odd pattern that makes the record all the more compelling with the guitar riffs becoming harder. We smile right now, but frowning later|We put on this front, to keep us favored |We're out of sound, we're out of sync |We're not so proud of what we made |We're out of rhythm, for heavens sake |OH!. It is becoming more clearer about what Kane is speaking of. After Gemma belts out "OH!", the eerie beats get into a pattern and begin to pound behind Gemma vocals and the guitar riffs. Gemma sings quick but with an eerie emotion to her vocals as she sings about the loss of people from her past. I've got a feeling |There's no more forgiving |We let it just the take us |The fame yes it breaks us |And we will not find it |Find where had lost it|The power to love again. It is becoming a more more clearer as to what Gemma is singing of, as the song goes on the smart lyrical choice becomes more clear to understand.

The song then breaks into a trance inspired breakdown, with a lift off synth accompanying it as Gemma belts out "We Had The Power". The guitar riff still relentless behind her vocals as she continues to sing out "We Got The Power" four times. Right after, another lift off synth soars over the track when Gemma belts out "Now I'll do it alone" that quickly goes into a rapid word repetition of o-o-own making it enjoyable to sing along to and chant like especially with the echoing behind Gemma's vocals. After the rapid word repetition, Gemma belts out "We Had The Power" two more times. After that, the song does not take a break as it breaks into the next verse of the track. Here, we are taken off guard with quick and relentless snare drum backbeat almost making it sound drum line like. The percussion continue with the track along with the same guitar riffs as Gemma continues to dramatically sing. We know, what we were seeking |In our search, we could have reached it |With every word, it became more demeaning| In the end we were internally bleeding .There's no more beautiful souls, that were once breathing|Only broken hearts, quickly fatiguing |We're dying out, with anger secreting |I've gotta get outta here, I'm tired of screaming |With pain and fear, we're depleting.

The beat then slows down just a bit, with the snare drums taking a rest as the hook finds its way back onto the track. Gemma sings this part once again, with her same emotion and captivating voice that mixes perfectly with the dramatic manner of the track that seems to have Gemma speaking of past fight with loved ones that ended quite nasty. After Gemma sings that, the quick snare drum finds its way back onto the track as the chorus finds its way back to the track. It's bigger this time with the drums and backing beat. Gemma belts out "We Had The Power" four times in a strong vocal. Right after, a lift off synth is heard soars over the track when Gemma belts out "Now I'll do it alone" that quickly goes into a rapid word repetition of o-o-own making. Gemma then belts out "We Had The Power" two more times. This is repeated four times as Gemma sings "Now I'll Do It Alone" with a little vocal play until the song comes to a haunting stop.

Gemma Kane gives a dramatic story or ode that can easily be linked to either a past relationship or past friendships that has us thinking the "Lashes breakup" as she sings heavily over this dramatic and ultimately catchy track that sounds honest and most of all big. You be the judge? Do you think Gemma Kane will be able to stand on her own? This new single hits stores today!

"WE HAD THE POWER"

We had it all, we had the spirit
We're beautiful, and revealing
We stood so tall, we had the feeling
Yet looks are so deceiving

We smile right now, but frowning later
We put on this front, to keep us favored
We're out of sound, we're out of sync
We're not so proud of what we made
We're out of rhythm, for heavens sake
OH!

I've got a feeling
There's no more forgiving
We let it just the take us
The fame yes it breaks us
And we will not find it
Find where we had lost it
The power to love again

We had the power
We had the power
We had the power
We had the power
Now I'll do it alone-
O-o-o-own
O-o-o-own
O-o-o-own
We had the power
We had the power

We know, what we were seeking
In our search, we could have reached it
With every word, it became more demeaning
In the end we were internally bleeding

There's no more beautiful souls, that were once breathing
Only broken hearts, quickly fatiguing
We're dying out, with anger secreting
I've gotta get outta here, I'm tired of screaming
With pain and fear, we're depleting

I've got a feeling
There's no more forgiving
We let it just the take us
The fame yes it breaks us
And we will not find it
Find where we had lost it
The power to love again

We had the power
We had the power
We had the power
We had the power
Now I'll do it alone-
O-o-o-own
O-o-o-own
O-o-o-own
We had the power
We had the power
Now I'll do it alone [4x]

Edited by user 01 June 2013 13:45:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 9 users thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
mebeme101 on 27/05/2013(UTC), ThomasF414 on 27/05/2013(UTC), BrownSugar on 27/05/2013(UTC), Walton on 27/05/2013(UTC), snap_itshannah on 27/05/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 27/05/2013(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 28/05/2013(UTC), FiveT on 29/05/2013(UTC), kandii on 05/06/2013(UTC)
Offline ThomasF414  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2013 08:24:37(UTC)
ThomasF414

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thomas:- Gemma you can totally break out on your own this song is incredible

ooc - great job Famous7x7

Edited by user 27 May 2013 08:28:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2013 08:27:31(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17919 time(s) in 10412 post(s)
erica:sure gemma can! she is super talented and fun to listen to.lashes just wasnt meant to be. gemma and natalya were just too big to be confined to such a tiny place.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline mebeme101  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2013 08:49:55(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Jacob: I love this song it's really great very emotional your voice is terrific the lyrics are great and the sound is excellent good job on this can't wait to her more from you

ooc: Great job on all of this Jaime :)
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
Offline genocidal king  
#5 Posted : 27 May 2013 09:18:49(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
OOC: Nice work as always. I was going to have Natalya criticise her but I decided against it :P Great RP though :)
UserPostedImage
Offline BrownSugar  
#6 Posted : 27 May 2013 10:17:38(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19125 time(s) in 7593 post(s)
Stefani: This is just one of the many reasons why I'm proud to have you signed to Kiss My Pop. Amazing work! Love everything about the track; the lyrics, production, vocals, everything has been done with 100% effort. Can't wait to see you go to the top.

OOC: Great work on this. I love (and envy :P) how detailed your RP's are :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

Offline Famouss7x7  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2013 10:32:27(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: ThomasF414 Go to Quoted Post
Thomas:- Gemma you can totally break out on your own this song is incredible

ooc - great job Famous7x7

Gemma: Thank you so much Thomas!

OOC: Aww thanks for reading :)

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
erica:sure gemma can! she is super talented and fun to listen to.lashes just wasnt meant to be. gemma and natalya were just too big to be confined to such a tiny place.

Gemma: Thank you Erica! We weren't meant to be, we just couldn't see eye to eye. Some things just don't work unfortunately.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

Offline Famouss7x7  
#8 Posted : 27 May 2013 10:35:52(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Jacob: I love this song it's really great very emotional your voice is terrific the lyrics are great and the sound is excellent good job on this can't wait to her more from you

ooc: Great job on all of this Jaime :)

Gemma: Wow thank you Jacob. I really had to dig inside to make this track what it is today, and I am glad you have so many positive things to say about my debut, I am so nervous but I think people will like this. Really glad you do :)

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Nice work as always. I was going to have Natalya criticise her but I decided against it :P Great RP though :)

OOC: Hehe, you could have :P. Thank you Scott :)

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Stefani: This is just one of the many reasons why I'm proud to have you signed to Kiss My Pop. Amazing work! Love everything about the track; the lyrics, production, vocals, everything has been done with 100% effort. Can't wait to see you go to the top.

OOC: Great work on this. I love (and envy :P) how detailed your RP's are :)

Gemma: I am glad to have signed to such a great label like KMP and to continue my endeavors with you guys. You have been very supportive and I am glad to have been able to meet and work with you. Sooo glad you like everything about this Stefani, and hopefully this does take me somewhere. I am just glad people really like it :)

OOC: Lol hehehe. Thanks alot Carmel :P

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline RoseJapanFan  
#9 Posted : 27 May 2013 11:54:01(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Honor: My father told me that if I didn't have anything nice to say, not to say it at all. Luckily, I never listened to him a day in my life. If this is what you've been hyping everyone about, let me be the first to tell you that I was much more happier imagining what it might sound like. Sorry to be the only honest person to break the news to you. You'd think your own label would stop you from embarrassing yourself like this.

OOC: Everything looks really good :)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

Offline Princess_Valentine  
#10 Posted : 27 May 2013 12:21:04(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: Such a great song to dance to and be motivated. Very nice work here Gemma. :D
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

Offline Famouss7x7  
#11 Posted : 28 May 2013 01:14:29(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Honor: My father told me that if I didn't have anything nice to say, not to say it at all. Luckily, I never listened to him a day in my life. If this is what you've been hyping everyone about, let me be the first to tell you that I was much more happier imagining what it might sound like. Sorry to be the only honest person to break the news to you. You'd think your own label would stop you from embarrassing yourself like this.

OOC: Everything looks really good :)

Gemma: Why hello Honor, just because you don't like the song and you feel the need to honestly trash the record means you're the only one being honest? Just because YOU don't like it? Well I'm sorry but its time for you to get your head out of your ass sweetheart :). I am not expecting everyone to like it and whether or not you like it is your opinion.

OOC: Thank you :)

Originally Posted by: Princess_Valentine Go to Quoted Post
Kourtney: Such a great song to dance to and be motivated. Very nice work here Gemma. :D

Gemma: Thank you sweetie! That's exactly what I want to do! Motivate!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#12 Posted : 28 May 2013 01:17:44(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3949 time(s) in 1347 post(s)
Amy-Jayne- can't believe I only just found out about this song it's brilliant and great debut

ooc- well done your rp as always great x
UserPostedImage
Offline Famouss7x7  
#13 Posted : 28 May 2013 02:13:15(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: AmyJayneXoX Go to Quoted Post
Amy-Jayne- can't believe I only just found out about this song it's brilliant and great debut

ooc- well done your rp as always great x

Gemma: Thank you darling ;)

OOC: Thanks !
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#14 Posted : 28 May 2013 12:48:14(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
OOC: You always pump out consistent RPs and this one is no different. You always have a solid level of depth in every single song which is something many other people here (myself included) can't say. Good job.

UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
thanks 1 user thanked Osprey037[Reported Failure] for this useful post.
erich hess on 28/05/2013(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#15 Posted : 29 May 2013 04:19:43(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Osprey037[Reported Failure wrote:
;312346]OOC: You always pump out consistent RPs and this one is no different. You always have a solid level of depth in every single song which is something many other people here (myself included) can't say. Good job.

OOC: Aww I am flattered! Thanksbalot for the kind words, they are much appreciated. Glad you see the effort and detail I put into my RPs:)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline FiveT  
#16 Posted : 29 May 2013 04:52:49(UTC)
FiveT

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 3231 time(s) in 1294 post(s)
Den: I like how different and cool this song sounds! I never thought I'd tell someone something like this, but I'm happy you're going solo! :P

OOC: You did a great job on the whole RP! The lyrics are my favourite part though, they could be a real song!

MY ACTIVE ACTS
Titans (Laurence, Jo, Martina, Den, Tanya)
Kegan Dawson - Actor, presenter, radio speaker, model, showman
Cj Frankson - Youtuber, Actor, model, showman
Rashai Mari - Model, Dj
Igor Stanovski - Russian tycoon, businessman
Claire Becker - Writer, vocal coach, presenter, radio speaker
Augusto Lincoln - Enterpreneur, model, manager
Lukas Paradiso - Model, Actor

The Jollies
Zafari Mari 👩🏾‍🦲, Rose Hemsworth 👩🏻‍🦰, David Hernandez 👱🏻, Natasha Stanovski 👧🏻, Fabriano Galore 👨🏻

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Creating Sims content here on my YouTube channel! -----> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Tq0J8bDFMidZWlrFK0gtQ
Offline Famouss7x7  
#17 Posted : 29 May 2013 08:48:55(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: FiveT Go to Quoted Post
Den: I like how different and cool this song sounds! I never thought I'd tell someone something like this, but I'm happy you're going solo! :P

OOC: You did a great job on the whole RP! The lyrics are my favourite part though, they could be a real song!

Gemma: Aw thank you Den! Really appreciate how sweet you are :)

OOC: Thank you so much :) Glad you like!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline Famouss7x7  
#18 Posted : 01 June 2013 13:45:06(UTC)
Famouss7x7

REVIEW: Gemma Kane's "We Had the Power"
AKA
WHY DO WE ENCOURAGE THIS?

UserPostedImage

Hey. So, this is a review of Gemma Kane's "We Had the Power." You may remember her from the all girl group, Lashes, where she was the one that wasn't slutty looking enough to be mistaken as a hooker, but still decently slutty enough to be mistaken as a high-price stripper. You may remember Lashes from their hit songs, such as-- I actually cannot remember any song Lashes ever put out. How tragic for them. But now Gemma Kane (also known as 'James Urie's wife') is trying to make a name of her own, and we're letting her do it because it's kind of adorable the way that she thinks this is going to play out.

The name of Gemma Kane's attempt to be considered a celebrity once again is 'We Had the Power.' It can be argued that this song is about a relationship gone wrong or something along those lines, but anybody with a brain stem can see that it's obviously about the breakup of Lashes, because, really, what else does Gemma have going on in her life besides pouting over that? The best result of this song is when Natalya Dobros (or Natalya Hess, I guess she got married to a chick. Fucking hot.) commented about the song on Twitter and caused a fight between Gemma and herself over what caused the breakup. The best part is that Gemma tried to act like she didn't want the fight to happen. Sweetheart, you're not fooling anybody. You wouldn't have written the song if you didn't want to start shit. The sad part of this? Gemma may actually be getting celebrity recognition again because of the shit she's starting. I guess for some celebrities, that's the only way they're going to stay popular. My point: What the fuck has Natalya Dobros done besides marrying a chick, and then argue with people on Twitter? But we all still know her name. Hasn't done anything to contribute to the music industry, but her name will always be one that you see on your Twitter feed. I just want to make sure everybody sees the ridiculousness of fame when it comes to these types. We got it? Great.

To be fair, "We Had the Power" is not terribly bad of a song for it's genre. Of course, it's of the pop variety because the only things former girl group members know better than pop music is fucking and drama. And, for as much shit as I give it, the topic of the song isn't as boring as some of the songs out there now. It's not about how some guy broke her heart, it's not about how she feels all lonely or any stupid shit like that. It's about the Lashes breakup, which, in regards to other band breakups, is not a huge deal, but it's still something that people want to hear about. Also, the music and lyrics do a beautiful job to keep Gemma in her pop comfort zone, but go to the edges of that zone and venture into a more (dare I say it) trance-pop style. I downloaded this song on to my computer for this review, and I don't think I'll be taking it off once I'm done with it. The song is relaxing and energizing at the same time, and if I don't listen to the lyrics, I can almost not get completely pissed off by the attention whoring that Gemma Kane is succeeding at doing right now.

So, all in all, I give "We Had the Power:"

You know that odd feeling where you just hate everything that a person is, but what they make is absolutely brilliant? I'm having that feeling right now about this song. Congratulations, Gemma Kane. You did it.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 01/06/2013(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#19 Posted : 03 June 2013 02:48:31(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Gemma Kane - We Had The Power

UserPostedImage

Who is Gemma Kane?

Gemma Kane is known for appearing on the television show Star Factory with former group Lashes Gemma was known as the lead singer of the group they had made it pretty far on the show with their risqué performances they probably would have made it farther on the show if they hadn't missed a week however after the show finished the girls ended up releasing Brittany Knox's "Leather Love" which despite being a cover did pretty well on the charts after not hearing any word at all from the four girls we finally heard that they'd be splitting which was sad news for some after awhile it was said that Gemma Kane would be starting up her solo career Gemma is also known for being the wife of one if the biggest Rock singers right now James Urie

The review

So I'll be honest this song is not exactly what I had expected for Gemma to release I mean after watching her on Star Factory or seeing her release Leather Love with Lashes I expected something really different from this song I'm glad that she didn't release what I expected though because this song is so much better than what I expected it to be I expected a more poppy dance song that was about sex but what Gemma released was a song that actually fit a pop rock sound in a way and the lyrics were also better than what I expected so thank God for that anyway the song speaks about a break up it could be about a relationship breaking up, or losing a friend but to me it sounds more like it's about the Lashes breakup anyway the lyrics are really good and I do like them however the chorus is a bit repetitive to me which I guess isn't all that bad and the sound of the song is definitely incredible I actually really love it Gemma's voice sounds really great on this track which doesn't really come as much of a surprise as she was known as the lead of Lashes but still she did exceed my expectations with her voice which is always good

Final thoughts

The song is pretty good it's always hard to start a solo career after being in a group cause people will always know you as the girl or guy who was in that group instead of thinking of you as a solo artist however I do think that this song is good enough to take Gemma from being that girl in a group to being a solo artist it's really good and Gemma sounds fantastic on it so good job Gemma

Rating

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 2 users thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Walton on 03/06/2013(UTC), mebeme101 on 03/06/2013(UTC)
User is suspended until 28/07/4752 18:55:55(UTC) Walton  
#20 Posted : 03 June 2013 02:57:53(UTC)
Walton

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1998 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
Ellie-Grace: I think we might have a new pop phenomenon ;) Lol, I heard this song playing on the radio for the first time yesterday and I just had to find out who was singing it. Good job! :)