logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2016 21:28:43(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8536 time(s) in 2673 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “Asylum”
Artist: Riot! in the Boulevard
Album: “Young Cardinals” (2016)
Release Date: August 6, 2016
Length: 4:12
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, Weekly Airplay, 7” Single
Recorded: April - August 2016 - Village Studios - Los Angeles, California, USA
Genre: Alternative Rock, Pop-Punk
Label: Studio60 Records
Written: May/June 2016
Writer(s): Adam Benjamin, Amy Meyer, Jason Greenberg
Producer(s): Riot! in the Boulevard, Cara Zayn

“Asylum” is a song written and recorded by the Las Vegas based alternative rock trio ‘Riot! in the Boulevard’ and taken from their sixth studio album “Young Cardinals”. It’s the first single to be dropped from the upcoming album and will likely be a key indication of what their latest album will sound like. It’s thought that the release of their sixth album will see the band continue to build on their reputation, with the release of their fifth album “Boycott Love” they re-released a remixed version of the record which featured a host of the industry’s best rap and hip-hop artists. It’s not expected that the band will once again release a remixed version of the album, but it’s thought that the band will once again have an idea up their sleeves in order to make their latest album stand out from their previous work. It was even highlighted recently in an interview with lead singer Amy Meyer where she stated, “I think because we’re on album number six, we need to constantly think of ways to make our work feel new and unique from our previous ones. If we continually just release twelve song records each year I feel like we’re gonna get bored and just as importantly, I think our fans may get bored. That was the reason why we tried the remixed re-release just to give it something different and we loved seeing that come to fruition. So it’s definitely possible that we do something like that again with our next record and see what we can come up with.”

The music and lyrics were written and composed between the end of May and the beginning of June 2016 while on their stint in Europe as part of their Hostile Takeover world tour. It’s said that the band found it exciting that they were naturally leaning towards different themes within their music and bassist Jason Greenberg recently claimed that this was needed, “When you’re part of a band that has released as much music as we have over a short period it’s easy to fall into the same tried and tested formula’s and I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve done that a fair bit. I like to think that we’ve always put out music that has something slightly different, but I’m not naïve enough to believe that we haven’t followed a formula for the majority of our career so far. But on the same side, you don’t want changes in your music to feel forced. With Asylum, I think it came naturally to us and it’s lit a fire underneath us. We had already had an idea of what we wanted from the next record, but when we wrote Asylum, we’ve almost re-thought the entire record.”
The song was then recorded in July, during the band’s time spent at Village Studios in Los Angeles, California where they decided to record the new album. A change up for the band, that recorded their previous two albums primarily in their own studio in their hometown of Las Vegas, Nevada. Again a reason for this decision was to freshen things up and the thought was that a new surrounding and City could ignite different ideas and inspiration for the band.

“Asylum” marks the first release from their upcoming sixth album and potentially the beginning of a new chapter in the careers of the trio from Las Vegas. It also marks the 20th single to be released from the band since their breakthrough back in 2011. Although the song marks the first release from their next studio album and the beginning of their promo for that record, it’s expected that the album won’t be released anytime soon, with the band saying that an early to mid-2017 release date is more likely for the record as they’re still currently writing and recording for the album. It’s been said that completed songs will continue to be released in the months prior to the album and that one of the ideas is to have a large collection of songs released ahead of the album, not all will necessarily be included in the initial album release. The track was produced by Riot! in the Boulevard and Cara Zayn and will be released as a CD Single, Digital Download and will be available to Weekly Airplay and distributed through Studio60 Records on August 6, 2016.

ALTERNATIVE PRESS REVIEW;

Riot! in the Boulevard come roaring back to the forefront of modern rock music like they have done so many times before. The feeling is very familiar to fans of the band as that first initial release from an upcoming new album always brings a little more excitement as to what to expect from the Vegas trio. And they have stepped up their game a little more in recent years, incorporating different elements to all sides of their music but making sure to stay true to their pop-punk roots. In their previous two albums, we’ve heard more experimentation with electronic instruments, we’ve heard elements of funk and soul in the basslines and vocals and we’ve even see the band work alongside the very best rap and hip-hop artists this industry has to offer.
It’s all about one simple goal, to enhance their legacy. To continue to remain relevant in an ever changing industry and they have so far proven more than capable of changing with the times but never compromising who and what they are and what they stand for. The roots of the band remain in their fiery energetic delivery and heartfelt and passionate lyrics.

This one feels like a shout out to their past, at least instrumentally. It’s full of pounding drums and soaring guitars and a vocal delivery which is full of vigour and aggression. But it’s theme and lyrics are what make it stand out from their previous work, this can only be a good thing for the band as admittedly the band have sang about the confusion and difficulties of being young and full of passion. This latest effort feels like we have met a weather weary group, three twenty-somethings that have been beaten down a little by circumstance, but still full of passion and belief that despite what they have seen, they can rise up once more and stand tall and be counted.
It's theme is about being locked away and forced to conform to the norms of life. It plays with themes of being psychos, killers, monsters and maniacs. But those terms are merely there to enhance the feeling that life has changed these once normal people and has beaten them down. They are using an Asylum imagery to sing about common feelings of being trapped and muted and forced to conform. Take the line, “They say we need to be locked away, because we’re a danger to ourselves.”, you can interpret that any which way you would like. And that’s where the songs strength lies, anybody can make it relatable despite it’s very particular imagery.
It's a positive start for the band, creating a song that feels a quite different to what we’ve heard from them before. Let’s hope this trend can continue and they will step up once more.”

LYRICS;

“Everyone I know has fallen through the cracks
All my friends have turned to psychos, killers, monsters and maniacs
They say time can heal most wounds
But some wounds just don’t heal so easily with time
And sometimes you need to go insane
Sometimes you need to go out of your mind
And maybe this is just our time
Maybe this is our time

Welcome to the asylum
You’re just like the rest of us
Don’t put up a fight, don’t make a fuss
Welcome to the asylum
Don’t you dare kick and scream
Please don’t make a fuss
There’s room here for all of us
Room here for all of us

They say we need to be locked away, because we’re a danger to ourselves
We need to be contained by steel for the good of our own health
So tie our hands behind our backs
Call us all maniacs
But when we break free, we won’t look back
We won’t look back

We’ve seen heroes come and go
But little do they know
If they just glanced closer to what we are
They’d see past the scars and they’d see the stars
So you can lock us all away
And hide us from the world tonight
But we will prove the fire inside
We will show the desire

Welcome to the asylum
Welcome to the asylum
Please don’t make a fuss
Room here for all of us”

PERSONNEL;

Amy Meyer - lead vocals, piano, lyrics, composition, production
Adam Benjamin - rhythm guitar, lead guitar, keyboards, backing vocals, lyrics, composition, production
Jason Greenberg - bass guitar, lyrics, composition, production
Billie Langdon - drums, percussion
Cara Zayn – production, mixing, engineering

Edited by user 20 August 2016 20:07:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
erich hess on 06/08/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 06/08/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 07/08/2016(UTC), kandii on 19/08/2016(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 05/09/2016(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#2 Posted : 14 August 2016 02:26:20(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: Really great work here at usual Andrew, those opening lines of the track are seriously killer and I appreciate these lyrics not to mention the description included a lot of information on the songs background and Riot's recent history. After having a full read, I find that Asylum is one of my favorite songs by Riot In The Boulevard that you've ever released. Bravo :P
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 14/08/2016(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#3 Posted : 19 August 2016 05:16:15(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
OOC: As always your lyrics are killing us all. I just really adore the thought and work you put into all of your RPs, you're always releasing and coming up with something new and fresh, I really wish I had your work ethic LOL
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 20/08/2016(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2016 20:02:42(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Really great work here at usual Andrew, those opening lines of the track are seriously killer and I appreciate these lyrics not to mention the description included a lot of information on the songs background and Riot's recent history. After having a full read, I find that Asylum is one of my favorite songs by Riot In The Boulevard that you've ever released. Bravo :P

OOC: Thanks! It's never easy coming up with songs that feel new and fresh after writing so many for Riot! over the years, but I like to think that each new thing that I post for them, just adds another layer to them. It's getting more and more difficult though, but I'm glad that they're still tolerable after all this time!
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 20 August 2016 20:04:13(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: kandii Go to Quoted Post
OOC: As always your lyrics are killing us all. I just really adore the thought and work you put into all of your RPs, you're always releasing and coming up with something new and fresh, I really wish I had your work ethic LOL

OOC: Thanks! I've been wishing I could spend a bit more time and effort around here, but I've not been able to. But I like to drop in from time to time and keep my little characters going for a little bit longer at least! :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
kandii on 21/08/2016(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 20 August 2016 20:06:44(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: “Asylum”
Artist: Riot! in the Boulevard
Album: “Young Cardinals” (2016)
Release Date: August 6, 2016
Length: 4:12
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, Weekly Airplay, 7” Single
Recorded: April - August 2016 - Village Studios - Los Angeles, California, USA
Genre: Alternative Rock, Pop-Punk
Label: Studio60 Records
Written: May/June 2016
Writer(s): Adam Benjamin, Amy Meyer, Jason Greenberg
Producer(s): Riot! in the Boulevard, Cara Zayn
Director: Christian Fallon, Faith Browdy

ASYLUM MUSIC VIDEO

UserPostedImage

The music video begins with the raucous pop-punk elements of the band, the combination of a powerful drum beat and an aggressive lead guitar opening set the scene perfectly, it encapsulates a lot of anger and frustration and the camera pans separately onto each of the three faces of Adam Benjamin, Jason Greenberg and lastly Amy Meyer as they look around the bleak and empty room that they find themselves trapped inside of. The camera lingers on Amy as she stares deeply at the blank walls, her face starts to show a little more frustration as the instrumental beginning continues before the three of them all stand to their feet. They stare at each other with confusion and frustration as Amy sings the opening verse into the camera lens;

“Everyone I know has fallen through the cracks
All my friends have turned to psychos, killers, monsters and maniacs
They say time can heal most wounds
But some wounds just don’t heal so easily with time
And sometimes you need to go insane
Sometimes you need to go out of your mind
And maybe this is just our time
Maybe this is our time”

UserPostedImage

As the music continues to grow more powerful and energetic, we’re met with the trio’s frustration continue to grow at the thought of being locked away inside this bleak room. Adam smashes his rhythm guitar against the wall while Jason throws his body against it before both Adam and Jason drop to the ground and place their heads against their knees in defeat while the music plays furiously in the background. The camera then pans around to Amy, microphone in hand as she throws her fists, elbows, head, knees and practically all of her body against the wall in complete rage and anger. She holds the microphone close to her mouth as she bangs against the wall with her arms before spinning around and bellowing out the next verse into the camera;

“They say we need to be locked away, because we’re a danger to ourselves
We need to be contained by steel for the good of our own health
So tie our hands behind our backs
Call us all maniacs
But when we break free, we won’t look back
We won’t look back”

UserPostedImage

Seemingly going nowhere, Amy steps back from the wall stares at it intensely and finally throws herself against it one more time before falling to the ground. Beaten and bruised, the trio look at each other from across the room almost in a realisation that maybe they’re forever stuck here. They share one final look at each other, before bowing their heads and finally giving in. Before each of them stand to their feet, they line up side by side and take a couple of steps back, before charging at the wall with full force, it doesn’t break but they see parts of its foundations start to crumble and fall to the ground. Encouraged by the possibility of escape, the trio stand up again and do the same thing a couple more times before one final charge at the wall is enough to break them out of their confines and as the final pre-chorus and chorus of the song arrives, we see the three band members running down the hall in an attempt to escape before the song closes out into darkness;

“ We’ve seen heroes come and go
But little do they know
If they just glanced closer to what we are
They’d see past the scars and they’d see the stars
So you can lock us all away
And hide us from the world tonight
But we will prove the fire inside
We will show the desire

Welcome to the asylum
Welcome to the asylum
Please don’t make a fuss
Room here for all of us”
thanks 4 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 21/08/2016(UTC), erich hess on 21/08/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/08/2016(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 05/09/2016(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#7 Posted : 21 August 2016 03:57:33(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
OOC: Look I talk about your style of presentation with how you set a feel for the song in the beginning and then later produce a song with just lyrics, not just any lyrics but lyrics that are great by the way, and then post it. I greatly appreciate it cause with all of the songs that come with song in real life it kind of blends together but your stuff is on it's own just as good as any song writer out there and it makes me really want to know just what kind of music you would put with some of your singles

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 21/08/2016(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 21 August 2016 20:27:21(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Look I talk about your style of presentation with how you set a feel for the song in the beginning and then later produce a song with just lyrics, not just any lyrics but lyrics that are great by the way, and then post it. I greatly appreciate it cause with all of the songs that come with song in real life it kind of blends together but your stuff is on it's own just as good as any song writer out there and it makes me really want to know just what kind of music you would put with some of your singles

OOC: Thanks, I feel I've always been better at writing lyrics than I am at writing the descriptions. But I'm glad that you seem to enjoy the whole thing. If you mean what kind of soundalike I would choose, I just tend to write the lyrics without any idea of what songs it sounds like. But I'm sure I can start adding sound alike's if that makes things a little better :)