logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2016 18:35:58(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Released: January 1st, 2017
Recorded: 2016; Out of This World Studios
Genre: Electronic Funk
Label: Studio60
Producer: DrewWB, FancyN, inZane, Flame 1&2

Out of Sight, Still in Mind

Out of Sight, Still in Mind is the debut studio album by Indian American singer and actress Aikya Ishani Balan, released on January 1st 2017, by Studio60 Records after exactly a 2 years wait. Within the 2 years, 2 full length studio albums were scrapped, the first being "Mattresses and Masochists" and the second being "You Don't Have To Change The Tides Baby, Pacify". The reasoning behind both albums being withheld from release aren't entirely specified but are said to do with the conflict of the material being more personal than Balan, someone who's been very open about her fight with mental health, was ready to share with the world. "Maybe one day when I'm a better writer and a better me I can really dig deep and tell my story. For now, small steps." Aikya comments.

Inspiration behind the album comes straight from Aikya Balan's love life, the title "Out of Sight, Still in Mind" referencing to how even though he's long gone, Aikya's abusive ex still hinders all of her relationships. She specifically speaks on her relationship with Niña "Rum" Tarantino, most of the songs being written to or about her. "I really didn't mean to write a whole album about Yani, it just happened. When I realized how easy it was to write songs about other people, I couldn't stop. I didn't have to feel like my music was attacking me anymore, it was refreshing." The album had almost been named Enough About Me because of this.

Along with Balan, the album consists of writing from Airemese Smith, Drew Westbrook, Yasmine Kiambang and even Mi Sun Kim. Previous versions of her debut didn't nearly have as many writers, Aikya had previously done all of her own writing. "This album had a lot of firsts for me and the writing process was definitely one. People had started writing songs they thought I'd be good on and I had actually started taking them. A piece of me was scared to do that before, I thought the songs would come out inauthentic and dry. They turned out to be some of my best tracks, teamwork is really where it's at." Balan says.

When it comes to the production, there was just as much "teamwork". The 13-track record includes FancyN, DrewWB, inZane, and Flame 1&2 as producers all who have worked previously with Aikya with her earlier music. However, together they produce an entirely different sound for the singer, crafting an electronic Funk album with "Out of Sight, Still in Mind". Drew Westbrook takes the lead here, contributing most to the sound with smooth instruments and moody rhythms he even has a feature on the album. "Working with Drew is so fun because you walk in the studio with a plan but he gives you a look that says, 'I play like 30 instruments and I'm about to change your life'. Suddenly you need a saxophone solo in 5 different songs. Drew's eyes just told you so."

Track listing

UserPostedImage

I Shut You Out*
Release
Decline
How It Works ft. Rum
¿Como Se Dice..?
I Fell For A Bad Girl
How Weak
Only One
Can't Hide
These Tendencies ft. Drew*
Enough About Me
U2

Total length: 41:46

Edited by user 15 January 2017 04:28:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 9 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
mebeme101 on 25/12/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 25/12/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 25/12/2016(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 25/12/2016(UTC), BrownSugar on 25/12/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 25/12/2016(UTC), freestylechamp on 25/12/2016(UTC), erich hess on 25/12/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 26/12/2016(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#2 Posted : 26 December 2016 10:26:20(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Length: 0:38
Genre: Neo-Soul Ballad
Written by: Aikya Balan
Produced by: inZane

I Shut You Out is the opening track of Out of Sight, Still in Mind. It serves as the introduction, being only half a minute long. The song is soft, it's timid synths accompanies the melodic voices of Aikya that passes through the track like a quiet gust of wind. "Swore I shut you out but you just keep coming back round.." Aikya coos, the essence of the track surrounding the theme of being haunted by an ex while she swirls in and out of the song like a ghost herself.

Aikya Balan

I shut you out
But I still can’t shut you up
You bring me down
When is enough enough?
I wish you’d rid me of
My need for you, and not these doubts
Swore I shut you out
But you just keep coming back round, oh

Edited by user 24 December 2020 17:06:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
mebeme101 on 26/12/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 26/12/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 26/12/2016(UTC), BrownSugar on 27/12/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 27/12/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/12/2016(UTC), erich hess on 28/12/2016(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2016 11:22:31(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Length: 4:47
Written by: Yasmine Kiambang
Produced by: inZane, FancyN

Release is the second track on the album and the first full length song. It was written solely by independent singer and songwriter Yasmine Kiambang. In the song Aikya sings about taking those first steps of "freedom" after a break up, wondering endlessly if she had just gave up on something that might have been good for her. It's the fact that the relationship was indeed toxic but oh she didn't feel immediately better once she ended it that really seems to mess with her. "Far from happy close to my comfort zone," she sings over the inZane and FancyÑ production. The bumpy beat feels almost as if it's crawling up your spine, vertebrae by vertebrae, with an instrumental full of keys, a sneaky bass guitar, unidentified strings and even a xylophone. It's the layering of Aikya's breathy vocals that really make the song though. All together, they make an eerie track out of a common situation.

Aikya Balan

From the waves in my ears
Straight to my head
I feel it traveling down my backbone
Stopping at my stomach
Freedom's ringing through my whole body
Why does it sting?
Far from happy, close to my comfort zone
He wasn't by my side but I was never alone
And that does it
It keeps me haunted
I swear I wanted to be free
Why does it sting?

I tell myself, "the end"
I take another breath in
And release
I may not make it
A risk worth taking
I release

From the tips of my toes
Lock my knees until it's gone
I feel it clawing at my chest
Getting caught up in my neck
Why does it sting?
What should I make of it?
Is this my last warning?
Am I not as strong as I swore in those arguments?
Did I call my bluff?
Am I giving up on love?
I don't know what to trust
But

I tell myself, "the end"
I take another breath in
And release
I may not make it
A risk worth taking
I release

I tell myself, "the end"
I take another breath in
And release
I may not make it
A risk worth taking
I release

Edited by user 24 December 2020 17:08:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mebeme101 on 26/12/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 26/12/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 26/12/2016(UTC), BrownSugar on 27/12/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 27/12/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/12/2016(UTC), erich hess on 28/12/2016(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#4 Posted : 26 December 2016 12:17:13(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Length: 4:32
Genre: Alternative R&B
Written by: Airemese Smith, Aikya Balan
Produced by: FancyN

For someone with such a small voice, Aikya had previously always came in on a track as bold as ever. Whether she was singing about taking someone's man or being a masochist, Balan had always taken a stance in the tracks that made her seem in control even when you knew she wasn't. Decline is another one of those tracks. In the song written by Airemese Smith and herself, Aikya sings about an unrequited love, one that she admits to making up in her head. "They left me in peices and this is how I connect the dots." She sings, having no control over her emotions but complete control of how she expresses them. The subtle production from FancyN draws more attention to Aikya's words, those of which sound sweet but a little deranged as well.

Aikya Balan

You see, Im far away
Even when I’m not
Stare into the negative space
Fall into my thoughts
Turns out my mindframe
Might not be more than a box
They left me in pieces
This is how I connect the dots

So yeah, what you heard was true, I’m whiter than I might seem
What do you suppose I do? Reveries are just my type
I know that we shouldn’t give in before we even try
But without any sight

I see that your lips decline
And baby that’s alright
And baby that's just fine

You see, I’m far away
Even from myself
I warn, “dont get too close”
So I sit back and dwell
All that is well
Is never what it seems
Never could get much sleep
But I damn sure can dream

So yeah, what you heard was true, I thought a little too much on it
But I’m weak enough to contain my truth, the brave only end up haunted
They go around humming, “don’t give in before you try”
But I don’t need a rhyme

And baby that’s alright

(Eyes closed)
I don't mean to scare you so
(Come close.. Reach out)
(Eyes closed)
You don't have to think it over
(Eyes closed)
I don't mean to scare you so
(Come close.. Reach out)
(Eyes closed)
You don't have to think it over

And baby that’s alright

And baby that’s alright

Edited by user 26 December 2016 18:33:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kandii  
#5 Posted : 27 December 2016 00:08:00(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Length: 3:49
Genre: Electronic Funk, Funk Rock
Written by: Aikya Balan, Niña "Rum" Tarantino, Drew Westbrook
Produced by: DrewWB

Duets require a certain push and pull, but How It Works just takes it farther. Reuniting following their iconic hit song “DEVOURED” Aikya and Rum return with a collaboration much more tamed and a lot less catchy. It seems that when the two work together they spend less time working as one and more time playing off each other, and that's why it always seems to work. If they were to play up to the stereotypical cat and mouse narrative, they'd seem entirely out of place on their own song. Aikya Balan and Rum are both sexy women with 2 different personalities, neither of which would waste their time being apart of a cake tease. Instead, they seem to know each other's reputation and challenges it, their collaborations always coming off as a stand-off in the lyrics. With the raunchy funk-rock riff, produced by DrewWB, they almost brag about what they could do to each other, vowing to change their entire world after its over. It comes off just as competitive with the vocals too, Rum singing with Aikya instead of rapping like in their last effort. Both of their voices add raw soul to the song, switching back and forth of each other and making the listener feel as though they should pick a winner by the end of the match. When the two pair up, there's always that burning question of who's sexier, and with "How It Works" they continue the conversation.

Aikya Balan
Rum
Both

You've seen the world
But I've seen the back of a Benz
You're on a straight path
I used to too, before it got all bent
You say you're tired of trying
Well here I am, there's nothing more to it
Everyone dreams of heaven
But I know hell's where the pleasure is

If I were you I'd forget all I've learned
That's not how it works
It's gotta burn
Some just give up when it hu-u-urts
But me I like to work
Until it burns

You get them dirty
But I know how to make them come clean
You keep them up past 11:30
But I'm all in their dreams, make em wanna sleep
You say that you've been hurt
Everyone else too, some even by me
Those anonymous nights seem better
Until you come across someone you want to keep

If I were you I'd stop wasting my time
Cause it ain't right
If it ain't white
I admit, it takes some ti-i-ime
Gotta hold on tight
Til you see white

I'll show you just how it works
Forget all that you prefer
A little spin and your whole world's a blur
My actions speak so much louder than words
Open your mind and concur
Forget all that you prefer
You'll never be as you were
Baby my actions speak so much louder than words

If I were you I'd forget all I've learned
That's not how it works
It's gotta burn

If I were you I'd stop wasting my time
Cause it ain't right
If it ain't white

Some just give up when it hu-u-urts (I admit it takes some time!)
But me I like to work (Hold on until you see white)

Edited by user 24 December 2020 17:17:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BrownSugar on 27/12/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 27/12/2016(UTC), mebeme101 on 27/12/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 27/12/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 27/12/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/12/2016(UTC), erich hess on 28/12/2016(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#6 Posted : 27 December 2016 00:58:32(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Length: 3:49
Genre: Electropop
Written by: Mi Sun Kim, Yasmine Kiambang, Airemese Smith, Aikya Balan
Produced by: Flame 1&2

It's crazy how Aikya goes from a sex symbol to the sweet girl next who just needs love in less than seconds, ¿Como Se Dice..? taking a complete turn in themes and even sound. The sudden switch up is most likely thanks to the writers, Mi Sun Kim, a member of the girl group Mi•Mi, taking the lead with help from Yasmine Kiambang, and Airemese Smith. Aikya obviously had a hand in the writing as well, seeing as it directly references her now ex, Rum. With this song, we see a whole new side of Aikya, one that's not driven by pain or pleasure, but actual love. The Flame 1&2 production makes the song even whiter, the Pop element of this Electropop song really sticking out compared to all of the songs just heard. The midtempo sounds like it's made to get you off your feet, probably standing as the one Aikya song that you genuinely don't have to think about. Or do you?

Aikya Balan

How do I explain myself?
You just made me feel like no one else could

No, I don't know how you got here but I'm so mad
All this time I spent crying, where were you at?
Now that we're finished here, I hope you'll be back
Since we're finished here, I got one question to ask

How do, you make me smile like that?
Flood in my life, wash away the bad
How do, you make me talk like that?
Listen to my regrets and help let go of the past
I don't know how you do the things you do
I don't know how I got mixed up with you
No, I don't know much about nothing
But how do you say I need you in Spanish?
¿Como se dice...?

How do I express myself?
How do I get the words out in time?
Got lost in you and found myself
Sometimes when the feeling is right you want to keep it inside

I don't know how you got in
So many have been hands on, only you left a print
But now that you're around, I really hope you're staying
Since you're around, just answer this one question

How do, you make me smile like that?
Flood in my life, wash away the bad
How do, you make me talk like that?
Listen to my regrets and help let go of the past
I don't know how you do the things you do
I don't know how I got mixed up with you
No, I don't know much about nothing
But how do you say I need you in Spanish?
¿Como se dice..?

BrownSugar on 27/12/2016(UTC), Atonic Records on 27/12/2016(UTC), mebeme101 on 27/12/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 27/12/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 27/12/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/12/2016(UTC), erich hess on 28/12/2016(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#7 Posted : 27 December 2016 01:04:16(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Track: I Fell For A Bad Girl
Artist: Aikya Balan
Label: Tric-Jam, Studio60 Records
Length: 4:00

“I Fell For A Bad Girl” is a single written and recorded by Indian-American singer Aikya Ishani Balan. After releasing almost a dozen singles and scrapping her debut album due to personal conflict, with “I Fell For A Bad Girl”, Balan is finally preparing to release a full studio album, the new single serving as it’s lead. Produced by DrewWB, the song is an entirely different sound for Balan. Formerly known for releasing abstract glitch-hop music full of operatic falsettos and sultry whispers, Aikya takes her roots in electronica and pushes them into a soulful territory. This new artist who’s been crawling out of her shell of shallow lust since her hit song, “Something Like That”, breathes new life into Aikya, pushing her to a boundary we never thought we'd see the "DEVOURED" singer anywhere near: Love.

On the surface, "I Fell For A Bad Girl" is a quiet, murmuring song, something that could artfully bleed into the background if you needed it to but at second glance, it's a loud declaration of love, one that marks not only an important milestone in the unorthodox relationship, but also in Balan's life. From the very beginning, Aikya already sounds like a different person, her soft voice is only vaguely famliar, and it's only after explaining that falling in love was only something she could do unintentionally and under the impression there was nothing more to feel do we catch a glimpse of our old friend as we knew her. But before we could enjoy it, she takes those familiar spirits and sends them in wildly unfamiliar directions, a flood of instruments interrupting the first half of the verse, and from there she floats around the track like a kite wrenching in the wind, complaining yet admiring how the sudden gust of love sent her flying. In the sculpted production of warm, textured sounds, Aikya's soft breathy vocals seem lost in it all, almost as if the music is the wind and her voice is the kite taking a stand in the contant flux. In the lyrics, she's awed yet confused, making bold statements with a heart that only knows fear. The music pushes with a tempo that moves drowsily and from time Aikya pushes against it, her flow shaping it's own melody, but the highlights of the song are when she works with the dense instrumental and moves with it, the unison in the subtle moments hinting that though her mind, body, and soul are singing different lines, they are all on the same page.

I fell for
Someone who never wanted more
Or at least that’s what she said to make me feel at ease
Nameless girl with endless possibilities
I fell for a Rubik's Cube
Takes a while to figure out, but when you almost do
You’re right back to square one with one wrong move
With a twist and a turn, I’m screwed
(Mm.. mm.. mm)
(Bad bad bad bad bad)
(Mm.. mm.. mm)
Fell for someone different
And that was ‘bout the dumbest thing I ever did
I fell for complications
So when they ask if it’s love, I could say, “it’s complicated”
But now that’s changing, ooh
Wanna get up
But damn, I’m stuck, ooh
‘Cause I fell for a trap
While it all goes to shit, I’ll still be here on her lap
Got it for her bad

I fell for a
Fell for a
I fell for a bad, bad girl
And I fell for the
I fell for the
And I fell for the last, last… time
Ooh

Fell for someone fucked up
So maybe.. I mistook.. a bond for love
What a perfect illusion, compared to what we’ve done
What we do to each other ain't that serious
I fell and that’s a good thing
But what a curse to be head over heels and still think
I know my doubts hold truth if I know anything
When this thing ends, I’ll finally find an ending
Surprise me

I fell for a
Fell for a
I fell for a bad, bad girl
And I fell for the
I fell for the
And I fell for the..

(Very first time)
And I know it’s the last
Yeah, I know this will last
(For the rest of my life)
I’m gonna look back on the past
And be so damn mad
(How I spent my youth)
With everything but you
No wonder I barely made it through
(I fell through)
And I fell, fell, fell, fell, fell, fell, fell for the last time
Ooh!

I fell for a
Fell for a
I fell for a bad, bad, bad, bad girl, ooh
And I fell for the
I fell for the
And I fell for the last, last time
I fell for a (Wanna get up)
Fell for a (But damn, I’m stuck)
I fell for a baaaaad girl
And I fell for the (Ooh)
I fell for the
And I fell for the last, last...

Offline kandii  
#8 Posted : 27 December 2016 01:59:47(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Length: 3:39
Genre: Neo-Soul Ballad
Produced by: FancyN

Aikya returns to the soft breathy sounds of the opening tracks on "Out of Sight, Still in Mind" but with How Weak she digs deeper. On this song written completely by herself, Balan takes us through what it's like when she has an anxiety attack, and comparing it to that off-putting feeling of being around someone you feel like you love too much. FancyN produces the track, playing the piano to a song that was written to her, adding ominous synths to create a feeling similar to being engulfed by a sudden rush of emotion that just seems to linger, a sound perfect for a song addressing anxiety attacks.

Aikya Balan

Can't breathe
But I can feel the open air around me
Reach out for control, it never finds me
Screaming in my head, sinking too deep
I'm smart now
When I feel the feeling, I don't try now
Can't stand the fall, so I stay down
You don't seem to care when you're around

You're making me nervous with your touch
You're so inconsiderate, out of touch
Now here you go with your dumb jokes
I lose track of my breathing and prepare to choke
But then I remember it's just a laugh

It starts with a pounding in my ear
The one sound that I fear
Not long before I can't see can't hear
Can't do nothing but fear
it takes time but I remember I'm alive
I'd rather fucking die
Don't like to waste my time so I stay down
You don't seem to care when you're around

You're making me nervous with your touch
You're so inconsiderate, out of touch
Now here we are, how did I get in your arms?
start to hear the beating and prepare to part
But then I remember it's just my heart
And I remember, you got me
I think about how you know I'm weak
But not exactly how weak

Edited by user 24 December 2020 17:31:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kandii  
#9 Posted : 27 December 2016 02:57:22(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Length: 3:43
Produced by: DrewWB, inZane

Only One is the next song on the album, and it's here where Aikya's love really seems to peak. The production is held by DrewWB once again, with the help of inZane. Together they create a melodic instrumental with a beat that ricochets off of Aikya's voice and pulls her under as she sings about how serious she is about her hair. In the song, Aikya's hair is like her soul and while she isn't exactly exclusive when it comes to sharing her body with others, she never let's people touch her hair, literally and figuratively. But for just this once, she honestly believes she's found a person she doesn't mind opening up to. For people like Aikya and Rum, this is that once maybe twice in a lifetime bond. This is the song where her relationship with Rum is solidified, it's where they become one and knows that from here on they will always remember each other as the love of their lives, no matter what.

Aikya Balan

Get ready for bed
And I tie it up
The wrap slips off by morning
And it stands straight up
They control my mind, how I feel and how I think
Don’t know what’s real so I live like life’s a dream
But my hair is unapologetically me, with a mind of it’s own
It is what it is, always what I want

I treat my hair better than I treat myself
Make sure that it’s good if nothing else
I’m the only one who does it
And usually, I never let anyone touch it

They tell me that they like it
But I could care less
I see them try to mime it
And I get upset
They always want what’s mine, can’t I just have something for myself?
This little light shines for no one else
With every braid, I craft true perfection
Just a little something from my own collection

But eyes closed
Hair down
Come close
Reach out
You're feeling my soul
Be gentle
Every follicle holds a memory
Experience seclusion
Sense the pride
This is all I call mine
This is all I can call mine
I let you touch it this once
Just this once
For me

Offline kandii  
#10 Posted : 27 December 2016 04:18:52(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Length: 4:56

After leaving herself open and completely vulnerable to love, in Can't Hide Aikya's vulnerability is met with resistance and according to Aikya, Rum's inability to match her transparency was the beginning of the end for a relationship that bettered both of them. The song is no doubt one of the most emotional tracks on the whole album, Aikya spends 5 minutes begging Rum to let her in with lyrics that are confused, frustrated and admittedly scared. The music itself becomes a whirlwind of different guitars, drum beats, hi hats, synths and muffled vocals, all performed and composed by Drew Westbrook. While listening to the song, Aikya's emotion translates so well that it's easy to feel her pain but the question of exactly what Rum could've done to suddenly shake up what seemed to be a healthy relationship lingers, leaving unanswered questions.

Aikya Balan

I hate how you're selfish but in that passive aggressive way
You call hitting birds with the same stone but I just think you're using me
So when you ask yourself why you do the stupid things you do you can call it love
What're you hiding from?
Everybody has their secrets but around you I feel so exposed
I think it's only right that you let down those walls until there's nothing to guard
Said you're relieved cause I know more than them and I'm still here, imagine what you'll feel when I know it all
What're you hiding for?

Don't know why I was hiding
But I can't hide, but I can't hide now
With you around
You always find me, always find me somehow
Can't just start hiding from me
'Cause you'll stop looking and give up on me you will
And I will too
You know I will

There's some things I can't admit outloud, though I never had to say it
But I'm not as good as you at this so baby, you gotta say it
And if I'm wasting my time then you should just come on out and say it
'Cause damn, I'm scared of whatever's got my baby so scared
This one of a kind is all mine and I don't wanna lose it
But you're slipping through my hands and faking a smile when I ask what you're doing
You said you'd hold both of us down but I can see now, your screws are loosing
How can I not be scared of whatever's got my baby so scared?

With you around
Can't just start hiding from me
'Cause you'll stop looking and give up on me you will
And I will too
You know I will

I don't mean to make this about myself but damn, you're so resourceful
I'll be here sitting all by myself while you jump through that portal
Between the human life and the life that makes humans immortal
You'll reach out your hand to whoever you can because you can, I can't
I've never had a love before you and I don't wanna love again
And as much as I love to dance, if it's not your song I don't wanna dance
I even told myself I'd continue this singing thing but only if you rapped
Promised me so I can keep a promise to myself, you can't just take that back
I don't know why I was hiding
But I'm so glad you helped me fight it
Is this how it ends after all the fighting?
Tell me it ain't so, tell me it ain't so

With you around
You can't just start hiding from me
'Cause you'll stop looking for me and give up on me, you will
And I will too
You know I will

Edited by user 24 December 2020 17:42:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kandii  
#11 Posted : 27 December 2016 07:19:58(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Length: 0:34
Genre: Soul
Written by: Drew Westbrook

These Tendenciesis an interlude by Drew Westbrook. It was recorded in a jam session featuring an excerpt of a demo Drew had written for Aikya. Aikya didn't take the song because she wanted him to release it as his own song. "We made a bet," Aikya said, explaining why a recording of the demo was used as an interlude. "If people like the snippet, he has to release it." The short song features strong vocals from Drew and a piano.

Drew Westbrook

...Didn't get to know myself
Until I knew you were what I needed
Now I know how quick I'd let this slip, knowing I need it
How do you save a love from yourself?
Tell me, how do I stop these tendenciiiiiies?
Woke up from a good dream but I got to watch you sleep...

thanks 6 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 27/12/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 27/12/2016(UTC), mebeme101 on 27/12/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 27/12/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/12/2016(UTC), erich hess on 28/12/2016(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#12 Posted : 27 December 2016 10:15:36(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Length: 3:33
Written by: Aikya Balan, Airemese Smith

In Enough About Me, things in the relationship take a sour turn. In this song written with Airemese, Aikya sings a song about being tired of having all the blame shifted on her when things gets rocky. She even accuses Rum of blaming her mental illnesses for the problems in their relationship. Production is handled by DrewWB again, his bass guitars, keyboards and drum machines laying the foundation for Aikya's rant while sampled claps and tambourines stumble over the track. The song manages to be catchy without completely dumbing down like in the previous track, "¿Como Se Dice...?". What sticks out about this song most is the fact that even after all this time has passed, Aikya is still scared that she is going to get herself stuck into a whirlwind of manipulation and end up having to deal with the likes of her ex again. She hints this all throughout the song with the lines, "I know this tango, I've danced this dance before."

Aikya Balan

Hypocrite
Don't talk to me like you know no wrong
I see it
That took you pull while thinking on your toes
You're dancing
Round and round we go
I know this tango, I've danced this dance before
You start off
By telling me you do more than enough
It's my fault
I only feel a way 'cause I'm messed up
You're so mad
How dare I have soft spots that you can't touch?
You still bring them up, yeah this dance ain't nothing new

But enough about me (have you had enough?)
Enough about how I feel, of how I think
Enough about me (have you had enough?)
Enough about my scars and insecurities
Let's get on you
(Have you had enough?)

Hypocrite
if you've got so much to say then let's talk
You're running
From me, why're you mad that I just watch?
You're hiding
From yourself, why would I know where to look?
You act hard
But latch on to my every word like they're hooks
You swear they don't hurt, but you bring them up
Whenever you like, whenever you can
You tell I'm wrong, you tell me I'm vain
That i make shit about myself whenever I can
You're dancing
Round and round we go
I know this tango, I've danced this dance before

Let's get on you...

And your desire to prove you're a fighter
Rub you the wrong way and now there's a whole damn fire
A liar, but only to yourself
Yeah, I'm craz--

Let's get on you
(Have you had enough?)

thanks 6 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
mebeme101 on 27/12/2016(UTC), BrownSugar on 27/12/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 27/12/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/12/2016(UTC), erich hess on 28/12/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 28/12/2016(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#13 Posted : 27 December 2016 11:50:43(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Length: 3:03
Genre: Electronic Funk, Neo-Soul
Written by: Aikya Balan, Drew Westbrook
Produced by: DrewWB, FancyN

Even with hard hitting drums and amplified guitars, nothing is louder on U2 than Aikya Balan's anger. She spits out the words written by herself and Drew Westbrook, calling out Rum once again for her lies and manipulation. The crazy part is that she's not mad at Rum, she's mad at herself. This is where the true meaning of the album comes in. Her abusive ex is long gone but she's still haunted by him. She's moved on and found a whole new love but her relationship is stunted by her fear of going through what her ex put her through again. "Don't need another vice, I'm good with one." Balan declares, ending her relationship because Rum reminds her too much of the man that ruined her life. Aikya gave it her best shot but ultimately she'll always have the ex that broke her in mind and that holds a fear too potent. Interesting how Aikya fails to write how in this way he continues to control her to this day. Or maybe after all this time she doesn't realize it.

Aikya Balan

Don't know how this works
But I know it's wrong
I know that you're fucking with my head
Swearing you wont do no wrong
Said you wouldn't be like him
Never cause me pain
Hate it when I call you a lie
It's hard to trust what you say

You've got a tongue that can persuade any man
When those lips get moving, you're thinking up your plan
I throw my hands up begging for the truth
You call me crazy and I eat it up, until I remember you are too

Yeah, I've been through worse
But that don't make you good
Claiming you can't do no wrong
Under the right circumstances, you would
How can you just take someone's love
And use it as a shield
Protecting yourself from what you won't admit
I'm bare to how I feel

I throw my hands up begging for the truth
You call me crazy and I eat it up, until I remember you are too

You too, don't act like I'm alone
You too, so I won't play along
Why do you two sing the same song?
Don't need another vice, I was good with one
I'm good with one

Something about this
Ain't right
Something here don't fit
I'm an open book
One look
And what you see, you get
Jump over mountains
Swim through fountains
I'd fly past every skyline
To get to you
Closer to you
But why do I feel like I have to leave myself behind?
I'm going out my mind

You too, don't act like I'm alone
You too, so I won't play along
Why do you two sing the same song?
Don't need another vice, I was good with one
I'm good with one

Edited by user 24 December 2020 17:52:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 27/12/2016(UTC), Welat65 on 27/12/2016(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/12/2016(UTC), erich hess on 28/12/2016(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 28/12/2016(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#14 Posted : 27 December 2016 23:51:50(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19134 time(s) in 7597 post(s)
Sayyid Khan: I enjoy this album very much, Ms Balan. I would have to say that U2 is my favourite track on the record but I thoroughly enjoy the journey from start to finish. I am happy to see this finally being released as I have been a fan of your previous outputs and have been waiting patiently to have the official album in my hands. I do hope my wannabe hipster heart is blessed with an overpriced Urban Outfitters exclusive coloured vinyl soon.

OOC: Happy to see that Aikya finally got that debut album out! I really need to do the same for like 50 other characters LOL Really enjoyed the album, not only for the wonderful lyrics but the presentation and delivery of it all. Very easy to read with interesting design. Oh and I'm so glad somebody else knows NAO!!! 🙏🙌
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
kandii on 27/12/2016(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#15 Posted : 28 December 2016 01:53:24(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17920 time(s) in 10413 post(s)
Erica: i would say i fell for a bad girl. but I'm the bad girl.

Nina: no,love. She was just a terrible person. Bad girl is more like your sis-..... OH MY GOD. did this girl date your sister?!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
kandii on 28/12/2016(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#16 Posted : 28 December 2016 03:14:18(UTC)
Welat65

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
AliyaRose: I always appreciate good music and this right here is a gem. From the production, lyrical work to your vocal delivery; It's a beautiful body of work. My favorite track is definitly "Como Se Dice", I fell in love with it right away!
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
kandii on 28/12/2016(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#17 Posted : 28 December 2016 03:54:35(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Chris: Man does Aikya have a high pitch voice, really high.

Tyler: Listening to it kind of makes me want to do S&M though.

Chris: WHOA WHOA WHOA! who are you?

Tyler: Tyler who are you?

Chris: Chris.....Are we the same character?

Tyler: Nah, not at all I like this kind of music.

Chris: I like this too... Why do I feel like we like Aikya just split me in two.

Tyler: is it really that weird out of sight out of mind.

Chris: but you're in sight right now and I just thought about how we seem alike,

Tyler: You think she and Tyron had a thing cause of this?

Chris: and now this is more weird. lets never do this again, I make the jokes you review.

Tyler: Okay, keep up the good work Aikya get that deal with 50 shades

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
erich hess on 28/12/2016(UTC), kandii on 28/12/2016(UTC), mebeme101 on 28/12/2016(UTC)
Offline mebeme101  
#18 Posted : 28 December 2016 08:31:05(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Carmen: Wow I can't even get on my Twitter stan here because this is so good I've had this album on repeat all day listening through every song multiple times and every time I think I'be found my favorite the next song comes on it's insane so much soul in this album the production is top notch the lyrics shine for me though on every single track I can't find any filler here because every song is just so incrediblein it's own way if I have to settle on one favorite though it'd have to be "Enough About Me" But I am absolutely in love with every single track I definitely need to hit up the studio with you soon whether it be for a collab, jam session or just being in your presence great job here to everyone involved

ooc: First off IT'S ABOUT TIME second great job on this it's unique different and the lyrics are amazing loved every minute of reading through this
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
kandii on 03/01/2017(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#19 Posted : 15 January 2017 04:25:58(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Sayyid Khan: I enjoy this album very much, Ms Balan. I would have to say that U2 is my favourite track on the record but I thoroughly enjoy the journey from start to finish. I am happy to see this finally being released as I have been a fan of your previous outputs and have been waiting patiently to have the official album in my hands. I do hope my wannabe hipster heart is blessed with an overpriced Urban Outfitters exclusive coloured vinyl soon.

OOC: Happy to see that Aikya finally got that debut album out! I really need to do the same for like 50 other characters LOL Really enjoyed the album, not only for the wonderful lyrics but the presentation and delivery of it all. Very easy to read with interesting design. Oh and I'm so glad somebody else knows NAO!!!

Aikya: I literally demanded a vinyl release immediately after reading this, that's how thankful I am for you following my career all this time! I swear there were so many times I just wanted to sink into hiding and never make another song again but it's th support from people like you that remind me that I have to keep going. I'm so sorry this wasn't the album full of glitch hop hoe bops that you probably fell in love with at the beginning! But I'm even more sorry that I held this album back for so long thinking that you guys wouldn't appreciate it just as much.

OOC: Ughh I knooow it feels like such a weight off of my shoulder, your turn! LOL Thank you so much, I was really excited and confident about finally getting this out. I took me a long time to decide what to do with Aikya but I really feel like I did her justice finally. And yess, you better stan NAO queen of electrofunk!!!

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: i would say i fell for a bad girl. but I'm the bad girl.

Nina: no,love. She was just a terrible person. Bad girl is more like your sis-..... OH MY GOD. did this girl date your sister?!

Aikya: NO! Mariko was really nice to me in Big Brother but that would be.. no! In fact, I don't think I fell for a bad girl at all either. Just a bad person..

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
AliyaRose: I always appreciate good music and this right here is a gem. From the production, lyrical work to your vocal delivery; It's a beautiful body of work. My favorite track is definitly "Como Se Dice", I fell in love with it right away!

Aikya: Aw thank you so much! Como Se Dice has to be one of the cutest songs on this album, it totally makes sense that you'd be into it! :)

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Chris: Man does Aikya have a high pitch voice, really high.

Tyler: Listening to it kind of makes me want to do S&M though.

Chris: WHOA WHOA WHOA! who are you?

Tyler: Tyler who are you?

Chris: Chris.....Are we the same character?

Tyler: Nah, not at all I like this kind of music.

Chris: I like this too... Why do I feel like we like Aikya just split me in two.

Tyler: is it really that weird out of sight out of mind.

Chris: but you're in sight right now and I just thought about how we seem alike,

Tyler: You think she and Tyron had a thing cause of this?

Chris: and now this is more weird. lets never do this again, I make the jokes you review.

Tyler: Okay, keep up the good work Aikya get that deal with 50 shades

Aikya: I would never in the entirety of my existence nor in any of the parallel universes that subsist alongside in the quantum theory ever allow myself to be any sort of associated with 50 Shades of I Don't Know What the Fuck I'm Writing About.

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Carmen: Wow I can't even get on my Twitter stan here because this is so good I've had this album on repeat all day listening through every song multiple times and every time I think I'be found my favorite the next song comes on it's insane so much soul in this album the production is top notch the lyrics shine for me though on every single track I can't find any filler here because every song is just so incredible in it's own way if I have to settle on one favorite though it'd have to be "Enough About Me" But I am absolutely in love with every single track I definitely need to hit up the studio with you soon whether it be for a collab, jam session or just being in your presence great job here to everyone involved

ooc: First off IT'S ABOUT TIME second great job on this it's unique different and the lyrics are amazing loved every minute of reading through this

Aikya: A collab between you and I would be so..interesting. I have no idea how it'd sound but I'm down tbh, you book the studio and I'll bring the snacks. All of this support has really made you my most favorite person ever, I'll try to write my best song just for you to really show my appreciation lol!

OOC: I KNOW RIGHT! Thank you so much for everything, you really don't know how much I value all the support you give me on here!
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#20 Posted : 02 February 2017 14:05:39(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 638 post(s)
OOC: BEEN meant to comment on this. I LOVE this album RP. You really outdid yourself with this one.

Tisha: You inspire me so much. Thank you for this body of work. I know I'm late but I am so here for this girl.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked TishaJackson!!!! for this useful post.
kandii on 02/02/2017(UTC)