logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rincewind  
#1 Posted : 15 September 2009 01:30:08(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
so... What is to blame for the rising level of obesity in the west?
is it tv? poor diet? no exercise? bad parenting? something else?
and more importantly what can be done about it? How do we stop this rising problem. Especially with children.
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Raphaela  
#2 Posted : 15 September 2009 02:00:47(UTC)
Raphaela

Groups: Registered
Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Now something that I know about! :P

I don't know if I was obese, but I was very fat.
Coming from an italian family, we had very caloric food to eat. My aunt's also an extremelly great cooker, so you get the point. It took me years to change my diet and lose weight.
For children I'd say it's the family's fault. No exercise is also another important factor, as on some families both parents work and often don't have time to take the kids to a soccer field or something.
What can be done? I don't know...maybe take your child to a nutricionist or destroy Mc Donald's.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Captain Insano  
#3 Posted : 15 September 2009 02:59:14(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
The biggest problem with obesity is people themselves...leading a sedentary lifestyle, eating the wrong foods, way too little exercise. Too much blame is diverted elsewhere (media) instead of people looking at themselves. People need to put in the hard yards when it comes to wanting to tackle obesity; there is a desire for a quick fix but they never work. Thats more of a general blanket veiw for me, I understand there's a few variables in it as well...its not always black and white. Whatever it is that has to be done about tackling obesity...it really needs to be done with a degree of urgency as obesity costs a nation a lot in dollar terms and to be done for peoples welfare. The strain it puts on the health system is enormous. We are now seeing a generation of children that may possibly die before their parents because they are obese or morbidly so. Increased education, support for those wanting to improve their health, maybe financial incentives (as if the health incentives weren't enough) such as subsidised gym memberships or tax breaks for those who walk to work or cycle, having fresh fruit and vegetables made more readily available and more importantly more affordable. Having said that when people say that its cheaper and easier to go out and buy McDonalds as opposed to making their own meals at home, its a bit of a cop out and to me a load of rubbish for you could end up spending $25 on a meal at Maccas for say four people when you can feed them with a home meal from ingredients you buy at the shops for $10-15 dollars...I am talking from an Australian perspective, I have no idea what fast food and grocery items cost elsewhere.
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline Gildermershina  
#4 Posted : 15 September 2009 03:18:36(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
The whole Fast Food is cheaper angle does work out for one person, but for a family, not so much. Here a plain McDonalds burger is something like 59p. The problem is one of laziness I think. Given the option, having someone else cook your food, often better than you can, is worth the extra expense according to most people.

Also, people clearly have never tasted a real burger, because if they had, they wouldn't eat McDonalds.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline xNightsidex  
#5 Posted : 15 September 2009 04:36:28(UTC)
xNightsidex

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
It's numerous factors depending on circumstance, never one thing. As Raph said, sometimes the problem lies in the upbringing; from families who believe in tradition of rich meals and and more caloric and plentiful food. It's hard to change a routine that you have to live with under one house, and it's kind of a kick in the teeth at that because of it.

The other major factor, as Insano said, are people themselves. A lot of society these days are far too lazy to look after themselves, and we're in a nation now where everything comes cheap and easy, and things like exercise aren't really considered a necessity by a large band of people as "it requires effort", or whatever.

Hell, a McDonalds meal here costs slightly less than, if not the same as, a meal in an ordinary restaurant.
Offline Gildermershina  
#6 Posted : 15 September 2009 04:56:45(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
xNightsidex wrote:
Hell, a McDonalds meal here costs slightly less than, if not the same as, a meal in an ordinary restaurant.

Isn't a McDonald's meal about £3.99? Because if so, I don't know what restaurants you're eating at, because even a modest pub will set you back at least twice that for a meal and drink. Sure you get bigger helpings, but McDonald's is still cheaper by far.

Edited by user 15 September 2009 04:57:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#7 Posted : 15 September 2009 04:59:27(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
In my opinion, parents who let there children get fat shouldn't be parents. It's unfair on the children and unfair on society for them to produce such fat slobs because 'oh I just can't stop him eating'. Yes you can, stop giving him the fucking food for one. It's simple. Some kids like food, some kids dont. Now if you have a child who doesn't like food, people generally don't just say oh okay he doesn't want any so he doesn't have to eat in his life, so why is it the other way round for fat kids? Children who are fat/tubby have to be the most funniest amazingest person to not get the piss taken out of them for being fat, so it's not like they LIKE being fat is it. They like the food, yes, but the parents are the ones who BUY the food so its logic NOT to buy the fatty foods. DUH.

Adults who are obese I haven't really got any time for except those with general eating disorders. Obese adults are usually the products of their parents bad parenting and because of all the bullying and most of the time I've met them been complete obnoxious pricks. If your an adult and obese just because you are too lazy to do anything about it then you can bugger off. But if your obese because of a medical problem then you should obviously get help and support as much as any disabled person would.
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#8 Posted : 15 September 2009 07:18:57(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
This is where America fails.......
Offline Rincewind  
#9 Posted : 15 September 2009 09:33:36(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Aj wrote:
In my opinion, parents who let there children get fat shouldn't be parents. It's unfair on the children and unfair on society for them to produce such fat slobs because 'oh I just can't stop him eating'. Yes you can, stop giving him the fucking food for one. It's simple. Some kids like food, some kids dont. Now if you have a child who doesn't like food, people generally don't just say oh okay he doesn't want any so he doesn't have to eat in his life, so why is it the other way round for fat kids? Children who are fat/tubby have to be the most funniest amazingest person to not get the piss taken out of them for being fat, so it's not like they LIKE being fat is it. They like the food, yes, but the parents are the ones who BUY the food so its logic NOT to buy the fatty foods. DUH.

Adults who are obese I haven't really got any time for except those with general eating disorders. Obese adults are usually the products of their parents bad parenting and because of all the bullying and most of the time I've met them been complete obnoxious pricks. If your an adult and obese just because you are too lazy to do anything about it then you can bugger off. But if your obese because of a medical problem then you should obviously get help and support as much as any disabled person would.

but surely the very fact that someone is obese is evidence of an eating disorder?
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Raphaela  
#10 Posted : 15 September 2009 09:45:05(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Rincewind wrote:
but surely the very fact that someone is obese is evidence of an eating disorder?

Morbidly obese maybe, but not obese.
About 4 years ago my BMI almost reached obese and I had no eating disorders.
I just had a sedentary lifestyle and ate a lot of junk like soda, chocolate and LOADS of meat.
Oh, and having cases of obesity on both sides of my family (in fact, I know very few people on my family that are skinny)

Edited by user 15 September 2009 09:51:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline forkboy  
#11 Posted : 15 September 2009 10:22:44(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Raphaela wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

Morbidly obese maybe, but not obese.
About 4 years ago my BMI almost reached obese and I had no eating disorders.
I just had a sedentary lifestyle and ate a lot of junk like soda, chocolate and LOADS of meat.
Oh, and having cases of obesity on both sides of my family (in fact, I know very few people on my family that are skinny)

One could wager that there are often extenuating circumstances as to why there is a predeliction to eating junk and a sedentary lifestyle.
Offline ++__++  
#12 Posted : 15 September 2009 10:24:59(UTC)
++__++

A good way to lose weight I heard somewhere is to drink really dark coffee and eat nothing but carrots. So, if anyone wants to lose weight, get some carrots and a coffee maker, and start crackin'!
Offline tension101  
#13 Posted : 15 September 2009 10:27:27(UTC)
tension101

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Obesity is (from what I know from my mother who is a doctor) usually a phase that can sometimes occur in children 8 - 13. If it doesn't pass, than it is pretty much the falt of whoever decided to eat a couch.

*ahem*

Edited by user 15 September 2009 10:28:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Too much leather chair is unsightly and greatly increases your risk of leather-smell.
Offline troymazing  
#14 Posted : 15 September 2009 10:32:55(UTC)
troymazing

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Obesity is not a phase children go through.. your mother's an idiot.
GirlSpice wrote:
Oh well.. she sits outside then. LOL!

Offline ++__++  
#15 Posted : 15 September 2009 10:41:16(UTC)
++__++

troymazing wrote:

wow, that's harsh
Offline troymazing  
#16 Posted : 15 September 2009 10:44:17(UTC)
troymazing

Man

++__++ wrote:
troymazing wrote:

wow, that's harsh

Yes, but it's true.
GirlSpice wrote:

Offline ++__++  
#17 Posted : 15 September 2009 10:46:20(UTC)
++__++

troymazing wrote:
++__++ wrote:
troymazing wrote:

wow, that's harsh

Yes, but it's true.

Well, aren't most Americans still children? I'm sorry, but America is one of the least mature countries in the world, because they are so rich.
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#18 Posted : 15 September 2009 10:46:32(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

To anyone who is obese because they "eat to much", Don't blame your mom , blame yourself for not exercising, lazy!!
Offline troymazing  
#19 Posted : 15 September 2009 10:51:34(UTC)
troymazing

Man

++__++ wrote:
troymazing wrote:
++__++ wrote:
troymazing wrote:

wow, that's harsh

Yes, but it's true.

Well, aren't most Americans still children? I'm sorry, but America is one of the least mature countries in the world, because they are so rich.

What?! You're a fucking idiot, please shut up.
GirlSpice wrote:

Offline ++__++  
#20 Posted : 15 September 2009 10:53:28(UTC)
++__++

troymazing wrote:
++__++ wrote:
troymazing wrote:
++__++ wrote:
troymazing wrote:

wow, that's harsh

Yes, but it's true.

What?! You're a fucking idiot, please shut up.

It was a joke. My bad to hurt anybody.