logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#21 Posted : 21 November 2009 01:59:35(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
asdf wrote:
C4AJoh wrote:
I think if your over 30 you shouldn't still be playing on computer games unless you have children who play on them.

Maybe people who are 30 shouldnt watch movies or read book either. This line is the biggest piece of bull I have ever seen.

In your opinion of course.
Offline Captain Insano  
#22 Posted : 21 November 2009 02:01:47(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
No, no I think he is stating fact...

in my opinion of course
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
#23 Posted : 21 November 2009 02:02:33(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Captain Insano wrote:
No, no I think he is stating fact...

in my opinion of course

Nope he is stating an opinion.

In my opinion of course.
Offline asdf  
#24 Posted : 21 November 2009 02:07:42(UTC)
asdf

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Weather its just my opinion or not, it should be everyone's. I hate the general idea that after a certain age, your supposed to grow up, and quit all of the things you once loved just because your getting older. Bull, I will be playing video games when I'm 60, and I also don't like how old people lose their imagination, and don't just "play" anymore. It sounds stupid but I think adults need to hold on to their child like personality traits, otherwise they are just losing themselves in a depressing world of politics and work.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
#25 Posted : 21 November 2009 02:19:12(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

TheCDs wrote:
What do you think of video games? Are they a form of art or just a toy? If you believe they are art or at least more than toys when and what game made you believe they broke the threshold of just a toy or just entertainment?

For me I 100% believe that the medium of video games can create art. Not every game is a work of art but, especially in the last few generations of video games more and more games are moved towards that level. Looking at just this generation games like Fallout 3 have such beautiful art direction paired with a compelling story and social commentaries to create something that is more than just a toy. Mass Effect deals with racism and discrimination, and even GTA IV presents a commentary on immigration. The first game I can remember that I believed transcended the perceived boundary of the medium was Chrono Trigger for the Super Nintendo. That game contained such deep characters and plotlines that it was levels beyond the platformers and beat 'em ups I was playing at the time.

Video games (as in video game consoles), I lost interest a long time ago. I find the internet more interesting. To me is a toy that has a form of art, but the actual game playing is not an action of art. Is like If I said riding a bike is art.

Me I think once you have a family and you should stop playing video games. Usually as a person matures they loose interest in video games anyway, but if you just had a baby and you are ignoring it because you are playing video games, that is a shame. But I see nothing wrong with playing video games in your spare time which you hardly get when you have a family of your own.

To be honest I rather have my kid get exercise than be inside all day on a computer like me.

Offline asdf  
#26 Posted : 21 November 2009 02:23:19(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Agreed, you do have to mature along the lines and give up a whole hell of a lot, but that is the reason why you hold onto the few things that you can.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline forkboy  
#27 Posted : 21 November 2009 03:00:14(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
C4AJoh wrote:
The rockstar game is the only game i actually play.
I used to play video games when i was younger but i'm 18 now and i find it a bit weird that some people in their 30's still play computer games.
i think text based games with forums and stuff are ok, but computer games like on the xbox and playstation i don't really play on them anymore.
I think if your over 30 you shouldn't still be playing on computer games unless you have children who play on them.

What the fuck? Have you SEEN videogames lately? Grand Theft Auto 4 shouldn't be played by 12 year olds, so just who exactly should be playing it then if not adults? Is it unacceptable for adults to watch television shows? To watch Hollywood blockbusters? In short, no. Videogames are merely another form of entertainment, an interactive one.

Ultimately, they are a form of entertainment. They are capable of being something verging towards art, though not exactly high art, and utterly trashy. Just like movies, just like television. On one end of the scale you have intelligent drama like The Wire or fantastic documentaries. On the other you have Trinny & Susannah looking for weak excuses to get people naked on television, or cunts redecorating other cunts houses. But ultimately so long as you enjoy it, that's what it's there for. That's what it comes down to. So long as you aren't hurting other folk, do whatever the fuck you want. This idea that "you should stop doing X when you are 30" is fucking daft, and you will come to realise this once you actually start edging towards 30 and realise that fundamentally you are still the same person you were when you were 18 and you enjoy most of the things you enjoyed back then, despite 12 years having passed.
Offline Gildermershina  
#28 Posted : 21 November 2009 03:08:07(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Captain Insano wrote:
I would like women to be in the kitchen baking pies so I can play my games in peace goddammit!

Hey, if she liked baking pies, then I'd like that too.

I mean, sure, I'm all for women's liberation, but if both your parents are working high-stress every day, that's not conducive to a stable family upbringing.

Anyway, while I agree with the general sentiment that at some point maturity forces you to choose between your hobbies and your family, you should choose your family, but for the most part, I don't see why gaming can't be a part of a family's interaction. Certainly the Wii made big strides in that area, but as a kid, my whole family used to pass the mega drive controller round playing Columns on the Mega Games II Compilation, or we used to play an old PC port of ancient arcade classic Tapper. Or obscure classic Little Big Adventure 2. My stepfather got a DS and my parents are now both playing through Professor Layton, as is my sister when she came home - and though the game only has three saves, I actually made it past 100 of the 130 puzzles over a long weekend visiting home before finally turning the thing off.

So you know, it's not always a choice between games and family. That'd be like saying if you have kids you can't ever watch TV again.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline sharinganerror  
#29 Posted : 21 November 2009 03:27:45(UTC)
sharinganerror

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
Lifelong gamer here, and I reject the notion that being a "toy" is a bad thing. Games are an interactive medium, and as such, the better the interaction, the better the game. Problem is how do you define interaction. MEtal Gear Solid is interactive, it just happens to be interaction that unfolds in an entirely linear story. You play through a section and you are rewarded with another long story cutscene. Super Mario Bros barely has any story, so it's all about the gameplay, all interaction. The reward of playing Mario platformers is that playing Mario platformers is inherently fun.

As for the age thing, I think it's ridiculous that games are somehow off-limits to adults, as though once you hit a certain age you have to stop listening to certain music, or watching certain TV, start wearing a tweed suit and smoking a pipe... That notion suggests that only children need play or fun. I mean, what the hell are single adults supposed to do with their free time and disposable income? I was grew up in the 8 and 16 bit era, my parents played on old home-computers with cassette decks before I was born. Kids nowadays, they think of Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty and what have you, but when I was a kid, it was Mario and Sonic (back when Sonic games were actually competent), and you'd buy these games that were difficult, that you might have to keep replaying the same simple level over and over again - yet that was still fun, and is still fun today. But in those days, games were seen as being for kids simply because of the way they looked. Now the stigma is still there, yet games look like GTA or Bioshock, and people get upset as if suddenly it went from cute furry creatures to childhood-destroying murder simulators. A lot of people don't even realise that all those kids who were playing the old Marios and Zeldas, they've grown up now, and are still playing games. Now it's an assbackward world where 12 year olds wouldn't be seen playing Mario because it's "for babies", and will instead get their parents to buy them GTA4, and despite the obvious age warnings all over the packaging, the parents just don't register that GTA4 is not about a little Italian plumber stomping on turtles, but about an immigrant rising up a ladder of criminals through murder, prostitution, drugs, and reckless driving.

So the idea that after 18, the earliest age somebody can legally purchase a GTA game in the UK, people should stop playing videogames, that strikes me as a strange conservative traditionalism where men should join the big company in town with his white shirt and brown shoes and the women should stay bake pies in their floral dresses.

lurve the MGS, i hate mario..... retarded plumber...
Offline Gildermershina  
#30 Posted : 21 November 2009 03:41:49(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Not surprising really. You probably hate Legend of Zelda too. Part of that Xbox generation that missed all the proper gaming fundaments in favour of wave after wave of shooter.
Offline sharinganerror  
#31 Posted : 21 November 2009 03:41:50(UTC)
sharinganerror

Personally, I think very few games compare to art, Metal Gear being one of the most likely series. There's something to be said about video games and their affect on today's society, here in the U.S. we have microsoft playing a commercial where a kid(7 yr. old) asks santa for a 360... seriously. The fact that Microsoft would stoop that low shows that they know how stupid America has become, the 360 is in no way a child's console. The Wii is, but that's where it draws a line. The xbox and playstation series have always catered toward the older teen-adult demographic. Ever since some idiot parent allowed their kid to play halo on xbox live.... hell broke loose. Now, any legitimate and well-deserved owner of these consoles have to deal with immature cusser that can't play games for shit, every single day. Not to mention the effect of letting these kids absorb the games they play entirely, can you imagine having to deal with a kid ranting,"Halo is better than that" or "You mutha****ing ****er *****ing in a ****ing ***hole you ****er!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I do.
#32 Posted : 21 November 2009 03:44:17(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Ok, I use to play Zelda when I was a kid, and I am curious to know this, doesn't the background music when you play put you in a weird mood. I don't know what it was but it scared me or made me nervous for some reason. Did anyone feel this?

Edited by user 21 November 2009 03:46:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sharinganerror  
#33 Posted : 21 November 2009 03:49:13(UTC)
sharinganerror

stephaniewazhere wrote:
Ok, I use to play Zelda when I was a kid, and I am curious to know this, doesn't the background music when you play put you in a weird mood. I don't know what it was but it scared me or made me nervous for some reason. Did anyone feel this?

Ocarina's...... or Majora's? because one was made to be the significantly darker(or darkest imo) addition to the series. Ocarina was fun and streamlined, Majora's was badass and scared the shit outta me as a child.
#34 Posted : 21 November 2009 03:53:06(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

sharinganerror wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

Ocarina's...... or Majora's? because one was made to be the significantly darker(or darkest imo) addition to the series. Ocarina was fun and streamlined, Majora's was badass and scared the shit outta me as a child.

YES the Majora one and the other one!!!! I just saw it on youtube, the fucking music creeps me out. I use to play it alone and when I finished I would turn the light on in my room and be afraid.

Edited by user 21 November 2009 03:55:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Gildermershina  
#35 Posted : 21 November 2009 04:09:25(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

The original Legend of Zelda really scares me when I play it now, because it's so hard, and the world is so empty-feeling. Ocarina too. But you're right, Majora's Mask is so utterly dark in a way that no game since can match (except perhaps indie platformer Braid). Having to reset the timeline repeatedly, watching all your hard work be erased over and over and over, screwing up the townspeople's lives over and over and over until you find the right combination. Actually, come to think of it, all the Zeldas have been quite dark...
Offline TheCDs  
#36 Posted : 21 November 2009 05:37:59(UTC)
TheCDs

Gildermershina wrote:
Lifelong gamer here, and I reject the notion that being a "toy" is a bad thing. Games are an interactive medium, and as such, the better the interaction, the better the game. Problem is how do you define interaction. MEtal Gear Solid is interactive, it just happens to be interaction that unfolds in an entirely linear story. You play through a section and you are rewarded with another long story cutscene. Super Mario Bros barely has any story, so it's all about the gameplay, all interaction. The reward of playing Mario platformers is that playing Mario platformers is inherently fun.

I too am a lifelong gamer, I think in previous posts both in this and the old forum that has been clear. I was never advocating that being a toy is bad. One of the things I hate is hearing developers talk about moving games towards movies. I always think "no it is supposed to be a game, I want it to be a different experience. If I want to see a movie I watch a movie not play a game." I love Mario and Sonic and Zelda (Link to the Past, although Majora's Mask is my personal favorite), I think FFVI is the best in the series (FFIII when it was originally released here in the states) and of course have made my love affair with the sublime Crono Trigger known every chance I get. I also believe however that you can create art while still keeping the game fun. Look at Mario Galaxy, that game is one of the most fun I ever played and the art direction is fantastic. The environments are breathtaking, the colors are so vivid, it just looks alive. GTA IV certainly doesn't make this list for art, its drab city environments where it puts everything through that coffee colored lens filter to make it gritty and real is not good art direction, but it weaves a story that makes some poignant comments on immigrant culture in the U.S.

As far as being too old to play video games, we have had this discussion before. I know that in all the families I have seen the parents have both had some free time to do whatever they want. Some of them did play video games, but if the baby started crying they got up and played the role of parent. It is insulting that you would say something like this:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Usually as a person matures they loose interest in video games anyway, but if you just had a baby and you are ignoring it because you are playing video games, that is a shame
It looks like you are telling me video gamers can't be good parents because we will ignore our kids to "get one more level" and that is insulting. Also, have you done any research into your claim that people lose interest in video games as they grow older because studies done by the NPD Group (a market research firm) for the ESA have found that the average age of a gamer is 35 and they have been playing for 12 years. Also 25% of all gamers are now over the age of 50. Here is a link to the information, and that page has a link to the rest of the research. http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp

sharinganerror wrote:
Personally, I think very few games compare to art, Metal Gear being one of the most likely series.

The Metal Gear Solid series (specifically 4, I am assuming that is the one you are referencing) are barely games, more on the line with interactive movies. I have played all 4 games, although never any of them to completion, and I don't get the big fuss over them. I think the stealth gameplay has been outdone by other games (Splinter Cell comes to mind), the shooting system always seemed awkward, and the story makes no sense at all. In fact I don't even think Kojima has done his best work on Metal Gear, I loved Zone of the Enders. I mean I can get what he is trying to do in the MGS games but it just isn't for me. The only one that has really even been that original and groundbreaking was MGS. I guess not knowing what other games you have played it is hard for me ot judge but to say only MGS comes close to art seems a little off-putting.

Gildermershina wrote:
The original Legend of Zelda really scares me when I play it now, because it's so hard, and the world is so empty-feeling. Ocarina too. But you're right, Majora's Mask is so utterly dark in a way that no game since can match (except perhaps indie platformer Braid). Having to reset the timeline repeatedly, watching all your hard work be erased over and over and over, screwing up the townspeople's lives over and over and over until you find the right combination. Actually, come to think of it, all the Zeldas have been quite dark...

Again, love Majora's Mask, but I think I can come up with a few games that I think were as dark as it. I think both BioShock and Fallout 3 were pretty grim and dark in their own right. I don't know if they were actually as dark as Majora but they were close. Admittedly I have yet to get into Braid, I downloaded it and Shadow Complex (retro Metroid style game, I refuse Metroidvania since Metroid did it first) at the same time. I finished Shadow Complex then felt bad that I only got to the last hour or so of Super Metroid so I went back to play it again and have yet to really sit down and play Braid. I intend to play it, the few minutes I played were fantastic, but I just need to remember I have it on my hard drive next time I sit down to play.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
#37 Posted : 21 November 2009 05:56:40(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Quote:
As far as being too old to play video games, we have had this discussion before. I know that in all the families I have seen the parents have both had some free time to do whatever they want. Some of them did play video games, but if the baby started crying they got up and played the role of parent. It is insulting that you would say something like this: It looks like you are telling me video gamers can't be good parents because we will ignore our kids to "get one more level" and that is insulting. Also, have you done any research into your claim that people lose interest in video games as they grow older because studies done by the NPD Group (a market research firm) for the ESA have found that the average age of a gamer is 35 and they have been playing for 12 years. Also 25% of all gamers are now over the age of 50. Here is a link to the information, and that page has a link to the rest of the research. http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp

Um I don't know what planet you live in but when you become a parent you hardly have "free time", and I did say when you do have the time there is nothing wrong with playing video games. But ignoring your parental duties because you are playing a stupid video game is fucked up. Video games are the reason society is fucked up these days. Parents who play video games all day are setting a real bad example for their kids. And from personal experience as you grow older your interest in video games decrease, I don't care what research they have done. I don't believe in researches where they only take 50,000 people and base their conclusions off of that. Its all bologna.

Edited by user 21 November 2009 06:04:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline TheCDs  
#38 Posted : 21 November 2009 06:09:27(UTC)
TheCDs

TheCDs wrote:
As far as being too old to play video games, we have had this discussion before. I know that in all the families I have seen the parents have both had some free time to do whatever they want. Some of them did play video games, but if the baby started crying they got up and played the role of parent. It is insulting that you would say something like this:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Usually as a person matures they loose interest in video games anyway, but if you just had a baby and you are ignoring it because you are playing video games, that is a shame.
It looks like you are telling me video gamers can't be good parents because we will ignore our kids to "get one more level" and that is insulting. Also, have you done any research into your claim that people lose interest in video games as they grow older because studies done by the NPD Group (a market research firm) for the ESA have found that the average age of a gamer is 35 and they have been playing for 12 years. Also 25% of all gamers are now over the age of 50. Here is a link to the information, and that page has a link to the rest of the research. http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp

Um I don't know what planet you live in but when you become a parent you hardly have "free time", and I did say when you do have the time there is nothing wrong with playing video games. But ignoring your parental duties because you are playing a stupid video game is fucked up. Video games are the reason society is fucked up these days. Parents who play video games all day are setting a real bad example for their kids. And from personal experience as you grow older your interest in video games decrease, I don't care what research they have done. I don't believe in researches where they only take 50,000 people and base their conclusions off of that. Its all bologna.

Have you ever taken a statistics course, as long as the sample is selected so that it is representative of the population it doesn't have to be huge. Arguing that the research is wrong because you don't understand how statistical analysis is done isn't how you downplay the findings. In fact most statistical analysis is done with sample much smaller than 50,000 people and I am sure you have believed or quoted those statistics. Also, I have seen plenty of parents who have time to play games, those kids have to sleep, stay away at grandma's house, go to friends, and so on. Again, you make the same insulting point, that video gamers can't be good parents, that would be like me saying "Well gays can't make good parents because they can't provide the natural mother-father bond children need" (as an aside I do not believe the above statement at all, and was merely using it for illustrative purposes). Also how are video games the reason society is "fucked up these days?" I mean I can present you with more research that shows the lack of evidence linking video game violence and real world violence, or how the FBI found that of major school shootings in the US in the last 20 years only 2 suspects showed evidence of being avid video gamers but you will just write it off.

Edited by user 21 November 2009 06:12:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
#39 Posted : 21 November 2009 06:23:03(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

TheCDs wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

TheCDs wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Usually as a person matures they loose interest in video games anyway, but if you just had a baby and you are ignoring it because you are playing video games, that is a shame

Have you ever taken a statistics course, as long as the sample is selected so that it is representative of the population it doesn't have to be huge. Arguing that the research is wrong because you don't understand how statistical analysis is done isn't how you downplay the findings. Also, I have seen plenty of parents who have time to play games, those kids have to sleep, stay away at grandma's house, go to friends, and so on. Again, you make the same insulting point, that video gamers can't be good parents, that would be like me saying "Well gays can't make good parents because they can't provide the natural mother-father bond children need" (as an aside I do not believe the above statement at all, and was merely using it for illustrative purposes). Also how are video games the reason society is "fucked up these days?" I mean I can present you with more research that shows the lack of evidence linking video game violence and real world violence, or how the FBI found that of major school shootings in the US in the last 20 years only 2 suspects showed evidence of being avid video gamers but you will just write it off.

Like I said I don't believe in researches where they only take like 50,000 people and make their conclusions off of that, it is biased.
I just want to know, how old are you? You are taking this way to seriously. I'm not saying parents can't play video games. But parents who do play video games all day aren't setting a good example for kids. You seem to think that being a parent means feeding your child and that's it, you obviously don't know what is like to be a parent. I know what it feels like because I have had to basically raise my little sisters when they grew up and watching my mom as a single parent, it wasn't easy. She had no time for herself. Anyway that's not the point I made in the first place, you took my point and exaggerated it. You saying you have seen plenty of parents who have time to play video games doesn't support your reason. How many parents do I see that don't have time to even cook for their children, and they are going to have time to play a stupid video game? I am specifically talking about parents who play video games instead of doing their parental duties, it is wrong.

Edited by user 21 November 2009 06:26:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Gildermershina  
#40 Posted : 21 November 2009 07:06:03(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I am specifically talking about parents who play video games instead of doing their parental duties, it is wrong.

Except of course doing anything instead of your parental duties would be wrong surely.