logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sharinganerror  
#61 Posted : 24 November 2009 13:07:16(UTC)
sharinganerror

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
TheCDs wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
Not surprising really. You probably hate Legend of Zelda too. Part of that Xbox generation that missed all the proper gaming fundaments in favour of wave after wave of shooter.

Dude, how the fuck old do you think I am, and how dare you assume I'm of the xbox generation. To be specific I was of the gamecube and ps2 generation, moreso nintendo-esque for a great portion of my life but now leaning towards sony. I loved the zelda series, every single game I've played to be exact. I just hate mario games, there seems to be no real improvement in that series of platformers just like how Sega's sonic series ended up, repetitive and boring.

I hate to burst your bubble but the Xbox was part of that generation. In fact the Xbox launched in North America 3 days before the GameCube did.

sharinganerror wrote:
Actually I was referring to pretty much all of them graphically and storywise because they've all pushed the limits of what each of their systems could accomplish, storytelling that few games could shake a stick at(halo=suck) and gameplay which, I hate to inform you, throws splinter cell out of the water in the latest installment, being that it focuses on stealth in an actual battlefield. I don't think Sam Fisher ever had to deal with anything more but an urban surrounding at best in his missions.
The gameplay, I hate to inform as well, is actually more complicated then it may seem to you. You've probably assumed due to the light surroundings instant action sequences and less of a reliance on stealth that it's actually less of a game. I doubt you've ever gotten the Big Boss rank, which means that you have to go through the game, get all unlockables and not put a single harm on an enemy without no alerts at ANY given time at all on the hardest difficulty. That, my friend is true gameplay. Also while I'm at it, the gameplay really shines in MGO, where you'll have to take all of what you've learned in MGS4 and throw it out the window, because now you've entered the real battlefield, where everyone has better aim and skills than you. Just because alot of the game is comprised of movies, should not take away from what the game is really designed to be.

A few quick points:
-I never said Halo was the end all be all of storytelling, in fact I never mentioned Halo as being a work of art. I don't think the MGS series has good storytelling, the story is always so jumbled and complex that it can be hard to understand what is happening. Pretty much any BioWare game, BioShock, Modern Warfare 1, Fallout 3, Half-Life 2, and Portal are just a few of the games I can think of that do a better job in storytelling than any Metal Gear game I have played or watched someone play.

-After playing Metal Gear Solid 4 again I can say I am still not that into the gameplay. Stealth on the battlefield turns into a poor third person shooter. Since I have never finished a Metal Gear game that wasn't on an 8-bit system I have not gotten "Big Boss" rank, but you can't say that because the game has that achievement or trophy that it is the "true gameplay." If Kojima wanted the game to play like that he would have made it play like that and not allow you to turn it into a generic shooter.

-Splinter Cell isn't made to be a battlefield game, and neither was MGS until 4 really. In fact the first MGS and Splinter Cell had you in similar factory type settings. In Splinter Cell it is near impossible to go through guns blazing however it is very doable in MGS 4. I feel like the stealth mechanics are better in Chaos Theory and Double Agent than in MGS 4.

-Lastly, Kojima has produced and directed film and has made it clear that he is very much into and inspired by film. He talks about his cut scenes in terms of camera angles etc. just like a film director would. I feel like his intention has always been to blur the line between film and gameplay and for that MGS 4 is certainly revolutionary, but that isn't what I want out of a video game. In fact I would argue that the game isn't comprised of movies, but that the movie is full of interactive gameplay segments.

Obviously, these are all my opinions on the games. I am very aware there is a huge following for the Metal Gear Solid series and they are very highly acclaimed games. I have tried several times to play MGS (I even bought Twin Snakes because I heard it was the definitive version) as well as Son's of Liberty and Snake Eater and could not get into them. I rented Guns of the Patriots at least 3 or 4 times and each time I couldn't get into it. I would defend these games as art, but I don't think these are the shining examples of the perfect game that many argue they are.

keep your opinion, I'll just let you know that MGS4 is the last part of the story, meaning that there's no possible way to understand MGS in any way unless you've played every game like I have.
Offline TheCDs  
#62 Posted : 24 November 2009 23:09:10(UTC)
TheCDs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Again, the story is way too complex and jumbled. I should not have to be fluent in all things Metal Gear to understand what the fuck is going on in the game. Kojima is a fantastic designer in his own right, but I still feel like he is overly ambitious when it comes to the Metal Gear Solid series. He tries to tell a story that the medium cannot handle. I should not be required to know the entire plotline of the series just so I can get the final installment.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Gildermershina  
#63 Posted : 25 November 2009 00:06:08(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
sharinganerror wrote:
keep your opinion, I'll just let you know that MGS4 is the last part of the story, meaning that there's no possible way to understand MGS in any way unless you've played every game like I have.

Boy that's a nonsensical leap. Every MGS game past the first has piled on a ridiculous amount of mythology and ridiculous complexity, but if you play just the first one, then that's a self-contained story. It's like the Matrix. The first Matrix works great on its own. The sequels are lumbering and meandering. If you ignore them, you don't get the full scope of the story maybe but at the same time, if you ignore them then you don't know what you're missing.

It's not like you can't understand an MGS game without playing all the others, although maybe the story of 4 is like that.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Rincewind  
#64 Posted : 25 November 2009 00:13:21(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
this is why games like
Diablo
Baulders gate
etc etc

will always be best gameplay wise in my opinion, Because you become imersed in a whole new world which just sucks you in.....
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants