logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#41 Posted : 21 November 2009 07:09:30(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
I am specifically talking about parents who play video games instead of doing their parental duties, it is wrong.

Except of course doing anything instead of your parental duties would be wrong surely.

As in not feeding your child because you rather smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol oh yes and many other things. Yes.
Offline TheCDs  
#42 Posted : 21 November 2009 07:51:44(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Like I said I don't believe in researches where they only take like 50,000 people and make their conclusions off of that, it is biased.
I just want to know, how old are you? You are taking this way to seriously. I'm not saying parents can't play video games. But parents who do play video games all day aren't setting a good example for kids. You seem to think that being a parent means feeding your child and that's it, you obviously don't know what is like to be a parent. I know what it feels like because I have had to basically raise my little sisters when they grew up and watching my mom as a single parent, it wasn't easy. She had no time for herself. Anyway that's not the point I made in the first place, you took my point and exaggerated it. You saying you have seen plenty of parents who have time to play video games doesn't support your reason. How many parents do I see that don't have time to even cook for their children, and they are going to have time to play a stupid video game? I am specifically talking about parents who play video games instead of doing their parental duties, it is wrong.

Ok, I am 21, engaged, lead a normal social life, and was raised by my great grandmother along with my two younger sisters, so yes I did have to help out, my 70 year old grandmother couldn't do it all. Also, you saying you have seen people who get less interested in games as they get older doesn't make the statistic false. That would be like me saying "well in my personal experience 4 out of 5 of my friends don't like Obama's health care bill therefore the stats showing about a 50-50 split are wrong." I understand that my personal experience doesn't support my argument, rather provides anecdotal evidence, which is why I presented research done on the topic. You have yet to produce any real evidence other than "this is whay my life has taught me" and that isn't sufficient.

I shouldn't have really expected anything more from you however, this is typical stephanie posting. You come into a thread, ignore the topic (this was supposed to debate the merits of video games as art, not who is too old to play them) and then make a point about something completely different. Then when other people tyr to have a debate with you and present some form of empirical evidence supporting their point you immediately stop debating and start attacking rather than debating. You did it here, you attacked the research I cited as being biased because of sample size even though you have no proof that it is, you attacked me claiming I just must not be old enough to understand, and then you present your unique situation and all of your problems you had when they aren't relevant. Just because you had to "basically raise" your sisters doesn't mean you knew what it was like to be a parent either, and even if it does it is not relevant. The relevant point is that evidence suggests there is a large population of adults (and I bet a bunch of them have children) that do seem to be able to raise families and enjoy video games. You argue and argue but don't present anything more than anecdotes of your personal life that may or may not be true.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
#43 Posted : 21 November 2009 08:09:25(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

TheCDs wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Like I said I don't believe in researches where they only take like 50,000 people and make their conclusions off of that, it is biased.
I just want to know, how old are you? You are taking this way to seriously. I'm not saying parents can't play video games. But parents who do play video games all day aren't setting a good example for kids. You seem to think that being a parent means feeding your child and that's it, you obviously don't know what is like to be a parent. I know what it feels like because I have had to basically raise my little sisters when they grew up and watching my mom as a single parent, it wasn't easy. She had no time for herself. Anyway that's not the point I made in the first place, you took my point and exaggerated it. You saying you have seen plenty of parents who have time to play video games doesn't support your reason. How many parents do I see that don't have time to even cook for their children, and they are going to have time to play a stupid video game? I am specifically talking about parents who play video games instead of doing their parental duties, it is wrong.

Ok, I am 21, engaged, lead a normal social life, and was raised by my great grandmother along with my two younger sisters, so yes I did have to help out, my 70 year old grandmother couldn't do it all. Also, you saying you have seen people who get less interested in games as they get older doesn't make the statistic false. That would be like me saying "well in my personal experience 4 out of 5 of my friends don't like Obama's health care bill therefore the stats showing about a 50-50 split are wrong." I understand that my personal experience doesn't support my argument, rather provides anecdotal evidence, which is why I presented research done on the topic. You have yet to produce any real evidence other than "this is whay my life has taught me" and that isn't sufficient.

I shouldn't have really expected anything more from you however, this is typical stephanie posting. You come into a thread, ignore the topic (this was supposed to debate the merits of video games as art, not who is too old to play them) and then make a point about something completely different. Then when other people tyr to have a debate with you and present some form of empirical evidence supporting their point you immediately stop debating and start attacking rather than debating. You did it here, you attacked the research I cited as being biased because of sample size even though you have no proof that it is, you attacked me claiming I just must not be old enough to understand, and then you present your unique situation and all of your problems you had when they aren't relevant. Just because you had to "basically raise" your sisters doesn't mean you knew what it was like to be a parent either, and even if it does it is not relevant. The relevant point is that evidence suggests there is a large population of adults (and I bet a bunch of them have children) that do seem to be able to raise families and enjoy video games. You argue and argue but don't present anything more than anecdotes of your personal life that may or may not be true.

Firs of all you are the one who started with the whole thing. my first post on the topic was this:

Quote:
Video games (as in video game consoles), I lost interest a long time ago. I find the internet more interesting. To me is a toy that has a form of art, but the actual game playing is not an action of art. Is like If I said riding a bike is art.

Me I think once you have a family and you should stop playing video games. Usually as a person matures they loose interest in video games anyway, but if you just had a baby and you are ignoring it because you are playing video games, that is a shame. But I see nothing wrong with playing video games in your spare time which you hardly get when you have a family of your own.

To be honest I rather have my kid get exercise than be inside all day on a computer like me.

You came out of nowhere and exaggerated a part of my post and made a big deal about it. You took this whole thing and made it into a big deal, you are not debating either all your doing is attacking my opinion. I have the right to mention personal experience that support what I am saying. If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen. If you think you are debating than you are so wrong all you are doing is whining about something that has nothing to do with the original topic.

Edited by user 21 November 2009 08:11:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline TheCDs  
#44 Posted : 21 November 2009 08:24:01(UTC)
TheCDs

stephaniewazhere wrote:
TheCDs wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

Firs of all you are the one who started with the whole thing. my first post on the topic was this:

Quote:
Video games (as in video game consoles), I lost interest a long time ago. I find the internet more interesting. To me is a toy that has a form of art, but the actual game playing is not an action of art. Is like If I said riding a bike is art.

Me I think once you have a family and you should stop playing video games. Usually as a person matures they loose interest in video games anyway, but if you just had a baby and you are ignoring it because you are playing video games, that is a shame. But I see nothing wrong with playing video games in your spare time which you hardly get when you have a family of your own.

To be honest I rather have my kid get exercise than be inside all day on a computer like me.

You came out of nowhere and exaggerated a part of my post and made a big deal about it. You took this whole thing and made it into a big deal, you are not debating either all your doing is attacking my opinion. I have the right to mention personal experience that support what I am saying. If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen. If you think you are debating than you are so wrong all you are doing is whining about something that has nothing to do with the original topic.

You may have the right to mention personal experience but I have the right to call bullshit since the magic of the internet lets you make up whatever you want about yourself. Maybe I am a young Boston street tough with a heart of gold who just can't keep from getting pulled back into the game until eventually tragedy strikes and I have to put the good of the community into the forefront. Also, the largest part of you post is about when you should stop playing video games, the bottom 2/3 of your post has nothing to do with games as art. And although you did raise an interesting (albeit debatable) point as to whether playing a game is art you focused on something completely different.

I presented you with empirical data, research done by professional research agencies, and rather than debate the merits of the research or present some sort of data or information that supports your point you just called my information biased and left it at that. I presented more information, telling you small samples can provide very accurate measures if selected properly, again all you said was the information was biased. I tried to debate with you, I presented evidence for my point of view that goes beyond personal experience that cannot be verified, and you wrote it off. You even argued that perhaps I was too young to understand what parenting is, or that I didn't live in your situation so I couldn't understand. That isn't evidence, those are bold claims you are making about me because my views don't line up with you. I have been in more civil, respectful, and intelligent debates on this forum than you have, and this is exactly why; you fly off the handle whenever someone even so much as questions your views.

However, you are very right, I am not debating. I cannot debate because I don't have a partner to engage in a civil discourse of my views with. My views are wrong because I am too young, didn't live your life, and just don't understand parenting, nevermind that you have yet to present any real evidence on the subject beyond your personal stories, and any evidence I present is clearly biased because you can't do statistics using a sample of 50,000 people.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
#45 Posted : 21 November 2009 08:27:46(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Ok shut the fuck up, and get back on topic, Nobody really cares for god sakes, I am not going to read a post that read blah blah blah. Get back on topic!

My opinion is that parents should't play video games when they should be feeding or studying with their child. If they have free time then ok good for you. ow can you please move on.
Offline Aj  
#46 Posted : 21 November 2009 08:29:19(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I love video games, just got Assassins Creed 2 and it's fucking awesome. I'm 14 years old, but whenever you wanna play them go for it, why should you be stopped once you get to an age or have responsibilities.

They're a bit of fun, and you have to be MATURE to realise that. Immature people are usually the ones who think not having fun is being mature. Wrong.
#47 Posted : 21 November 2009 08:31:02(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

An adult, especially a parent should have the right to have fun and if video games is what pleases them then go on ahead.
Offline TheCDs  
#48 Posted : 21 November 2009 08:47:04(UTC)
TheCDs

stephaniewazhere wrote:

I feel like the action of playing the game can be considered art. I mean would you consider a figure skaters routine to be a work of art, a beautiful show of skill. In a way an extremely skilled player can emulate that, a masterful demonstration of skill. I don't know if that works for every game, but especially in fighting games and games with combo mechanics watching someone who can do those 100 hit combos is impressive, I feel like the definition of art is lenient enough to allow more than just the finished product, watching a master painter paint for instance, can be seen as a work of art. This one really depends on how you define art.

Also games that push for user-generated content would lend the action of playing to being part of the work of art in my mind. LittleBigPlanet lets users create levels and some of them are pretty artistic. There the entire point of that part of the game is in creating something, and again I have a very loose definition of art, the creative process is part of the work of art.

It really seems to depend on how lenient you are with your personal definition of art.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Aj  
#49 Posted : 21 November 2009 08:49:50(UTC)
Aj

Man

TheCDs wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

I feel like the action of playing the game can be considered art. I mean would you consider a figure skaters routine to be a work of art, a beautiful show of skill. In a way an extremely skilled player can emulate that, a masterful demonstration of skill. I don't know if that works for every game, but especially in fighting games and games with combo mechanics watching someone who can do those 100 hit combos is impressive, I feel like the definition of art is lenient enough to allow more than just the finished product, watching a master painter paint for instance, can be seen as a work of art. This one really depends on how you define art.

Also games that push for user-generated content would lend the action of playing to being part of the work of art in my mind. LittleBigPlanet lets users create levels and some of them are pretty artistic. There the entire point of that part of the game is in creating something, and again I have a very loose definition of art, the creative process is part of the work of art.

It really seems to depend on how lenient you are with your personal definition of art.

For gods sake it's a bunch of bloody codes and computer programming, it's not art, it's FUN. Pointless, random, FUN. VERY few games can be qualified as art. GTA 4, probably, wouldn't want to name any others because I'm not sure but the Mario series is pretty high up there.
Offline TheCDs  
#50 Posted : 21 November 2009 08:57:13(UTC)
TheCDs

Aj wrote:
For gods sake it's a bunch of bloody codes and computer programming, it's not art, it's FUN. Pointless, random, FUN. VERY few games can be qualified as art. GTA 4, probably, wouldn't want to name any others because I'm not sure but the Mario series is pretty high up there.

So art can't be fun? Just because they are designed as games doesn't mean they can't be expressive or more. Fallout 3 is one of the most beautiful games I have played and also one of the most fun. Mass Effect makes statements about racism and discrimination in the context of an intergalactic sci-fi adventure that is extremely fun. Mario Galaxy is probably the most beautiful game I have seen and probably the most fun I have played in a long time. I don't argue that there are a lot of games that are just "fun" but I don't believe that just because it is composed of code and programming make it any less art. You don't look at paintings and say "its just globs of pigmented liquids applied to a canvas" (unless it is modern art lulz) you look at the whole product, the entire painting.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Gildermershina  
#51 Posted : 21 November 2009 11:06:56(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I'd say in terms of games as art, here's several recent examples I can think of:

Braid
This is a really complex puzzle platformer, based around manipulating time. The story in the game is told in a truly remarkable fashion that literally makes absolutely no sense whatsoever until the very final level and them BANG! Suddenly it's quite profound. Plus, a few ultra tricky spots aside, it's lots of fun. Actually, one thing about it is that you don't actually need to complete all the puzzles to complete the story.

Bioshock
On gameplay terms, I think this is actually not a great game at all. In fact, I'd call it sloppy. What it does to is incredible art design and complex story-telling.

Psychonauts
Takes a while till it gets going, but the levels in the latter half of the game are just stunning, unbelievably imaginative, and the whole production of the game is up there with Pixar in terms of creating likeable and believable characters in a complete fantasy world.

Portal
While TF2 has a more striking art-style, Portal is more noteworthy as piece of art, because in terms of being a game, there is nothing quite like it. A single distinct gameplay mechanism that opens a vast array of possibilities, in an incredibly dark, witty, story delivered entirely through observation and the disembodied voice of a computer.

Mass Effect
Not groundbreaking, and full of flaws, but at the same time, incredibly ambitious storytelling, with really impressive presentation. The whole cohesion and feel of the setting is more sedate and stately than Star Wars, it's really more hard sci-fi.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#52 Posted : 21 November 2009 11:36:11(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Yes, Portal is the fundamental example when it comes to art in gaming today.

Of course in the "can games be art?" argument it's worth not losing context and thus remember what passes for art these days. Cows in formaldahyde or a messy bed.
Offline Aj  
#53 Posted : 21 November 2009 18:44:52(UTC)
Aj

Man

TheCDs wrote:
Aj wrote:

So art can't be fun? Just because they are designed as games doesn't mean they can't be expressive or more. Fallout 3 is one of the most beautiful games I have played and also one of the most fun. Mass Effect makes statements about racism and discrimination in the context of an intergalactic sci-fi adventure that is extremely fun. Mario Galaxy is probably the most beautiful game I have seen and probably the most fun I have played in a long time. I don't argue that there are a lot of games that are just "fun" but I don't believe that just because it is composed of code and programming make it any less art. You don't look at paintings and say "its just globs of pigmented liquids applied to a canvas" (unless it is modern art lulz) you look at the whole product, the entire painting.

I'm not saying art can't be fun, I'm just saying the very vast majority of video games are made with generally pointless wasting time fun at heart, rather than creating an art masterpiece.
Offline Chimp Records  
#54 Posted : 22 November 2009 10:39:58(UTC)
Chimp Records

I like those old 16bit Barbie games, they were the best...

Edited by moderator 22 November 2009 11:18:39(UTC)  | Reason: Oh did you now?

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
Artists Signed To Chimp Records:

Moonwalkers
Raven
Meta
Lycant
Delirium
Eclipse
MC Donalds

Offline sharinganerror  
#55 Posted : 23 November 2009 13:19:39(UTC)
sharinganerror

Gildermershina wrote:
Not surprising really. You probably hate Legend of Zelda too. Part of that Xbox generation that missed all the proper gaming fundaments in favour of wave after wave of shooter.

Dude, how the fuck old do you think I am, and how dare you assume I'm of the xbox generation. To be specific I was of the gamecube and ps2 generation, moreso nintendo-esque for a great portion of my life but now leaning towards sony. I loved the zelda series, every single game I've played to be exact. I just hate mario games, there seems to be no real improvement in that series of platformers just like how Sega's sonic series ended up, repetitive and boring.
Offline sharinganerror  
#56 Posted : 23 November 2009 13:31:27(UTC)
sharinganerror

TheCDs wrote:
sharinganerror wrote:
Personally, I think very few games compare to art, Metal Gear being one of the most likely series.

The Metal Gear Solid series (specifically 4, I am assuming that is the one you are referencing) are barely games, more on the line with interactive movies. I have played all 4 games, although never any of them to completion, and I don't get the big fuss over them. I think the stealth gameplay has been outdone by other games (Splinter Cell comes to mind), the shooting system always seemed awkward, and the story makes no sense at all. In fact I don't even think Kojima has done his best work on Metal Gear, I loved Zone of the Enders. I mean I can get what he is trying to do in the MGS games but it just isn't for me. The only one that has really even been that original and groundbreaking was MGS. I guess not knowing what other games you have played it is hard for me ot judge but to say only MGS comes close to art seems a little off-putting.

Actually I was referring to pretty much all of them graphically and storywise because they've all pushed the limits of what each of their systems could accomplish, storytelling that few games could shake a stick at(halo=suck) and gameplay which, I hate to inform you, throws splinter cell out of the water in the latest installment, being that it focuses on stealth in an actual battlefield. I don't think Sam Fisher ever had to deal with anything more but an urban surrounding at best in his missions.
The gameplay, I hate to inform as well, is actually more complicated then it may seem to you. You've probably assumed due to the light surroundings instant action sequences and less of a reliance on stealth that it's actually less of a game. I doubt you've ever gotten the Big Boss rank, which means that you have to go through the game, get all unlockables and not put a single harm on an enemy without no alerts at ANY given time at all on the hardest difficulty. That, my friend is true gameplay. Also while I'm at it, the gameplay really shines in MGO, where you'll have to take all of what you've learned in MGS4 and throw it out the window, because now you've entered the real battlefield, where everyone has better aim and skills than you. Just because alot of the game is comprised of movies, should not take away from what the game is really designed to be.
Offline TheCDs  
#57 Posted : 23 November 2009 14:52:58(UTC)
TheCDs

sharinganerror wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
Not surprising really. You probably hate Legend of Zelda too. Part of that Xbox generation that missed all the proper gaming fundaments in favour of wave after wave of shooter.

Dude, how the fuck old do you think I am, and how dare you assume I'm of the xbox generation. To be specific I was of the gamecube and ps2 generation, moreso nintendo-esque for a great portion of my life but now leaning towards sony. I loved the zelda series, every single game I've played to be exact. I just hate mario games, there seems to be no real improvement in that series of platformers just like how Sega's sonic series ended up, repetitive and boring.

I hate to burst your bubble but the Xbox was part of that generation. In fact the Xbox launched in North America 3 days before the GameCube did.

sharinganerror wrote:
Actually I was referring to pretty much all of them graphically and storywise because they've all pushed the limits of what each of their systems could accomplish, storytelling that few games could shake a stick at(halo=suck) and gameplay which, I hate to inform you, throws splinter cell out of the water in the latest installment, being that it focuses on stealth in an actual battlefield. I don't think Sam Fisher ever had to deal with anything more but an urban surrounding at best in his missions.
The gameplay, I hate to inform as well, is actually more complicated then it may seem to you. You've probably assumed due to the light surroundings instant action sequences and less of a reliance on stealth that it's actually less of a game. I doubt you've ever gotten the Big Boss rank, which means that you have to go through the game, get all unlockables and not put a single harm on an enemy without no alerts at ANY given time at all on the hardest difficulty. That, my friend is true gameplay. Also while I'm at it, the gameplay really shines in MGO, where you'll have to take all of what you've learned in MGS4 and throw it out the window, because now you've entered the real battlefield, where everyone has better aim and skills than you. Just because alot of the game is comprised of movies, should not take away from what the game is really designed to be.

A few quick points:
-I never said Halo was the end all be all of storytelling, in fact I never mentioned Halo as being a work of art. I don't think the MGS series has good storytelling, the story is always so jumbled and complex that it can be hard to understand what is happening. Pretty much any BioWare game, BioShock, Modern Warfare 1, Fallout 3, Half-Life 2, and Portal are just a few of the games I can think of that do a better job in storytelling than any Metal Gear game I have played or watched someone play.

-After playing Metal Gear Solid 4 again I can say I am still not that into the gameplay. Stealth on the battlefield turns into a poor third person shooter. Since I have never finished a Metal Gear game that wasn't on an 8-bit system I have not gotten "Big Boss" rank, but you can't say that because the game has that achievement or trophy that it is the "true gameplay." If Kojima wanted the game to play like that he would have made it play like that and not allow you to turn it into a generic shooter.

-Splinter Cell isn't made to be a battlefield game, and neither was MGS until 4 really. In fact the first MGS and Splinter Cell had you in similar factory type settings. In Splinter Cell it is near impossible to go through guns blazing however it is very doable in MGS 4. I feel like the stealth mechanics are better in Chaos Theory and Double Agent than in MGS 4.

-Lastly, Kojima has produced and directed film and has made it clear that he is very much into and inspired by film. He talks about his cut scenes in terms of camera angles etc. just like a film director would. I feel like his intention has always been to blur the line between film and gameplay and for that MGS 4 is certainly revolutionary, but that isn't what I want out of a video game. In fact I would argue that the game isn't comprised of movies, but that the movie is full of interactive gameplay segments.

Obviously, these are all my opinions on the games. I am very aware there is a huge following for the Metal Gear Solid series and they are very highly acclaimed games. I have tried several times to play MGS (I even bought Twin Snakes because I heard it was the definitive version) as well as Son's of Liberty and Snake Eater and could not get into them. I rented Guns of the Patriots at least 3 or 4 times and each time I couldn't get into it. I would defend these games as art, but I don't think these are the shining examples of the perfect game that many argue they are.

Edited by user 24 November 2009 04:25:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Offline Gildermershina  
#58 Posted : 24 November 2009 02:05:49(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

sharinganerror wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:

I apologise for my assumption, I obviously skewed you as a Microsoft gamer, when actually you're Sony. Yet, I must add several caveats. Firstly, how you can claim that Super Mario Galaxy is not a departure from Super Mario 64, or from Super Mario Bros 3, is completely beyond me. Secondly, the fact you are part of that generation, regardless of specific console allegiance tells me a lot about your understanding of video games, particularly in reference to the gameplay at the core of all games. For example:

sharinganerror wrote:

Yeah, but I bet Solid Snake never had a gravity gun. What's your point? The actual gameplay of the MGS titles, contrary to your crass Halo dismissal, has generally been considered rigid and inflexible, tied to series tradition, and often simply too clunky by modern standards. Halo on the other hand has consistently been the benchmark for console first person shooter control and overall gameplay, not to mention multiplayer (which we'll get to). Also, different games are different games. Big whoop.

sharinganerror wrote:
I doubt you've ever gotten the Big Boss rank, which means that you have to go through the game, get all unlockables and not put a single harm on an enemy without no alerts at ANY given time at all on the hardest difficulty. That, my friend is true gameplay.

Playing through a game multiple times is not gameplay so much as longevity. And since you're more or less forced to repeat the game to get such a rank, it's a little bit of artificial longevity. Not that it's bad or anything, it's just that there is no way playing the game in that manner is anything other than repeatedly frustrating. The reward is such a play-though not the gameplay, but the eventual sense of pride in the achievement. It's pure endurance. That's one trait from 80s I'm glad to leave behind.

sharinganerror wrote:
Also while I'm at it, the gameplay really shines in MGO, where you'll have to take all of what you've learned in MGS4 and throw it out the window, because now you've entered the real battlefield, where everyone has better aim and skills than you.

Having a seperate not-all-that-great-by-most-accounts online component is not really much of a unique bonus, considering most action games have exactly that. Hell, most games now survive by having multiplayer to keep new consumers coming and old players buying new DLC.

The problem I'm getting at the MGS is that the whole thing is skewed towards an audience who enjoy just as much the unfolding of the ridiculously complex story of the franchise, while the gameplay itself struggles to keep up with the ambition of the storytelling. So some of what you're classing as gameplay, I'd consider to be entirely different concerns.
Offline Mt. Epic  
#59 Posted : 24 November 2009 09:35:02(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
i think what he means is that people over 30 shouldn't play video games AS MUCH AS KIDS, cuz that's when you've like settled down into a career, and you have responsibilities, usually people that age have kids. And video games is a bit of a distraction.
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline Gildermershina  
#60 Posted : 24 November 2009 10:55:11(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

To be honest, having a kid at all in today's climate might be irresponsible enough to begin with.