logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2012 21:04:19(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: Somewhere On The Horizon
Genre: Alternative Rock, Pop-Rock, Ballad
Length: 4:27
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, Radio Airplay
Recorded: August – October, 2012, Avatar Studios, New York, NY
Release Date: October 14, 2012
Label: North Hill Records
Written: August 2012
Writer(s): Amy Meyer, Adam Benjamin
Producer: Isaac Lovelock, Riot! In The Boulevard

‘Somewhere On The Horizon’ is a single by the American alt-rock band ‘Riot! In The Boulevard’, it’s the lead single from their upcoming third studio album and marks their eighth official single overall during their almost three years in the music industry. The track was written in August 2012 by Amy Meyer and Adam Benjamin prior to the initial recording sessions for their next album, it mixes elements from their previous two studio album’s worth of material and continues with their signature sound, heavy guitar riffs with lyrics that will no doubt continue to speak to their primarily teenage audience as well as the melodic simplicity that they’ve shown in previous songs of a tender and emotional nature.

It’s their first single to be released under ‘North Hill Records’ and their first single that features production work from ‘Isaac Lovelock’ who the band signed on to co-produce their latest studio effort. This will be the first single to be released as part of the build-up to their third studio album, with little information about that record available it would appear that its release is certainly on the horizon, with some insiders hinting towards an early November release date. ‘Somewhere On The Horizon’ will be released to airplay and available to purchase as a digital download and CD single on October 14, 2012.

Background & Song Description
During July and early August 2012, Riot! In The Boulevard took a four week break in order to re-cooperate from a long and arduous tour that culminated in a headline performance at Field Trip Festival 2012. Each band member went their separate ways during this vacation, lead guitarist Justin took a week-long vacation in Italy before spending the following three weeks back at home in Vegas with family and friends, drummer, Nathan and the twin brother of Justin opted to stay at home in Vegas during the four week break with his girlfriend, while bassist Jason Greenberg decided to spend some of his downtime in Tokyo, Japan which is a place that he has always been extremely fond of and finally both Amy and Adam decided to spend their downtime together, taking residency in a small home in Greenwich Village, New York.
It was during Amy and Adam’s downtime that they wrote ‘Somewhere On The Horizon’ together as a bunch of other songs considered for their upcoming album, it was this track however that they became more happy with, as Amy states, “It’s always difficult to keep writing something that feels at least slightly different, after two album’s worth of material it’s gonna be more and more difficult to write songs that feel different.”, but as Amy started off by messing around with certain keys and melody’s on the piano, despite both members of the band agreeing that they wouldn’t work during their downtime, it wasn’t long before she had tempted Adam to come up with a riff on the guitar, this quickly resulted in the two writing the music and putting lyrics to that music in a sort of collaborative session that lasted over four hours. Adam shed a light hearted response during a recent interview, “So much for a vacation, right?”

The track opens up with a melodically beautiful piano introduction and soft beating of the drums, which sets the tone of the song and it’s general theme perfectly as Amy’s opening lines introduces the listener to the story that is to come, “We live such different lives/It’s like everything keeps changing/We used to talk all night/Now it seems like we’re just fading.” already giving a clear indication that the song is a haunting ballad for a dying love, Amy’s gentle but assertive vocals show that she hasn’t lost anything and with the slight echo on her vocals it gives the song it’s haunting emotional impact, feeling like yet another confessional from the red-haired teenagers diary. The song’s chorus appears rather quickly into the song as Amy’s vocals become more assertive and urgent as she sings this time with a soft and slow guitar and bass backing by Adam and Jason, she fires out the lines, “Maybe not right now, maybe not today/Maybe when we least expect it, our love will die away/Maybe not here, but no matter how we try/Somewhere on the horizon, we will say goodbye.” again as she’s done in many previous songs she initially puts the emphasis on the melody and emotion of her songs.

But as the next couple of verses falls by, it’s a blistering lead guitar riff provided by Justin Mullen that gives the song it’s highest and most anthemic moment, filled with a dramatic urgency and a beautiful vocal delivery from Amy once more as she sings on level with the power of the guitar riff, “It’s hard to see the light/Right now it’s way too dark/It’s hard to know that things will be alright/There’s still a flickering in my heart/Just believe in the words that I say to be true/Darlin’ I still hold a candle for you.”
The guitar riffs soften in power slightly and the keys of the piano become more highlighted as the song comes towards its final stages, the song reverts back to the emotional and melodic state once again and the tender vocals of Amy close out the song to the echo of the plastic veneer piano keys.

Songwriter’s Comments
Amy Meyer
Adam Benjamin

“I think that having written two album’s worth of songs it’s only natural to start to find it difficult to write something that feels a little different from what you’ve previously done, we don’t want to be the sort of band that just repeats themselves over and over again and I certainly worked as hard on the lyrics to the majority of our newest as I have ever worked when it comes down to the songwriting process, whether I managed to achieve my aim of not repeating myself remains to be seen but I hope in some way that I’ve managed to accomplish that.”

“I enjoy writing songs, obviously whenever we release a new song or a new album then the focus of the lyrics tends to fall on Amy’s shoulders because she is seen as the primary songwriter of the band, which is of course true. But from time to time the rest of us help out with the songwriting process as much as we can, sometimes we sit down and write a song together as a band, sometimes we’ll have Justin, myself, Jason and Nathan come up with some instrumentals and Amy will go away and work on the lyrics, it’s just done the way that feels best. But for this track I spent a couple of weeks staying with Amy at a hotel in Greenwich Village in New York and we were sort of starting to think about a new studio album and after throwing a couple of ideas around we began to play and write this track together and another couple from the album too, so it was a nice kinda easy process.”

“Yeah, lyrically it’s a pretty simple song. It’s basically a song about a couple that pretty much knows they aren’t gonna last and it deals with the difficulties of letting go of something that’s been a part of their lives for so long even though they know that there’s no real happy ending. It’s an honest interpretation of love in my opinion, without sounding cynical or anything but I think it’s more honest than the fairytale version that some people prefer to believe in.”

“Well aren’t you a bundle of fun!”

Rolling Stone - Review
“Riot! In The Boulevard return with their latest offering ‘Somewhere On The Horizon’ that will no doubt serve as some sort of interest building single ahead of their third studio album, as with most lead singles it’s an opportunity to showcase the musical direction that fans can expect from their favourite acts and on the basis of this single then it must be said that it would appear very much of the same from the teenage rock hero’s.
If something isn’t broken then there’s no need to fix it, right? Well I guess that’s a rather simple way of putting it, but Riot! have always been an act that likes do things on their own terms, they certainly shouldn’t be considered a one-sound band, one of their previous singles ‘Trying, Crying, Smiling and Dying’ is a large indication that they can mix it up, that track in particular was one of the darkest things written by primarily a pop-rock act in recent memory but this latest single offers the more well established version of Riot! that we’re all very used to hearing over these past couple of years.

Dominated early on by a the tenderness combination of the dreamy piano playing and gentle vocals by frontwoman Amy Meyer, it sets the story of the song and even with the opening two lines, it becomes quite evident that of what the song’s general theme is going to be, it’s about a dying love or as Amy puts it herself, “It’s an honest interpretation of love in my opinion.”, it’s slightly troubling that someone so young has such a bleak outlook on such a wondrous topic but I guess it provides some half-decent songs. The band prove their worthy of the ‘Best Band’ title that they picked up at the previous ‘Fan Choice Awards’ as the rhythm guitar and bass and drums set up the rock onslaught that is provided by an incredibly powerful lead riff from Justin Mullen, with energy and force it adds to the song and gives Amy’s words the aggressive back-drop that they rightly deserve. The whole band appear to be on the best form of their short careers on this track and for those rock traditionalists that just considered them to be a gentle mainstream pop act that happens to use guitars in order to gain the younger rock fan generation, they may have to reconsider after the musicality of this single in particular. The track isn’t going to be considered one of the all-time greatest rock tracks in many years to come but it’s another fantastic effort and quite possibly another hit to add to their ever-growing collection.”

Lyrics
“We live such different lives
It’s like everything keeps changing
We used to talk all night
Now it seems like we’re just fading
We’re going through the motions
Fighting just to see who’ll be the first to blink
We can both see the truth
Our ship is gonna sink

Maybe not right now
Maybe not today
Maybe when we least expect it
Our love will die away
Maybe not here
But no matter how we try
Somewhere on the horizon
We will say goodbye

It’s been a long time coming
It’s been such a long time together
It’s hard to let go when we said this was forever
But I can’t see the light that shines
I can’t feel the ties that bind
I can’t be the one to fall behind
Maybe it will get easier in time

Kiss a rose and throw it in the sea
Just pray that the rose will find its way to me
We’re both young with a lot to learn
A heart beats heavier when it’s forced to yearn
Maybe we were stupid for getting into this
I sometimes wish I never met you
Because it’s only you that I can miss

It’s hard to see the light
Right now it’s just way too dark
It’s hard to know that things will be alright
There’s still a flickering in my heart
Just believe in the words that I say to be true
Darlin’ I still hold a candle for you

We’re always going through the motions
Our ship is gonna sink
Maybe not right now
Maybe not today
Our love will die away
Maybe not here
But no matter how we try

Somewhere on the horizon
We will say goodbye
Somewhere on the horizon
We will say goodbye”

Personnel
Amy Meyer – lead vocals, piano, lyrics, production, composition
Justin Mullen – lead guitar, backing vocals, production, composition
Jason Greenberg – bass guitar, production, composition
Adam Benjamin – rhythm guitar, keyboard, backing vocals, lyrics, production, composition
Nathan Mullen – drums, percussion, production, composition
Isaac Lovelock – production, mixing, engineering
thanks 4 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 13/10/2012(UTC), Mckenzie- on 13/10/2012(UTC), Walton on 13/10/2012(UTC), erich hess on 14/10/2012(UTC)
User is suspended until 28/07/4752 18:55:55(UTC) Walton  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2012 22:44:36(UTC)
Walton

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1998 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
Serenity: Great song here guys. The lyrics were mind blowing :)

thanks 1 user thanked Walton for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 15/10/2012(UTC)
Offline Mckenzie-  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2012 22:58:46(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Ryan: I'm sick of giving you guys compliments, but I can't resist it! Everytime I think you have come out with your best song, you go right ahead and release one even better. Truly outstanding work here. Amy and Benjamin, take a bow, brilliant songwriting. It's got a real end of summer feel to it. Looking forward to your next record now even more.
retired x
thanks 1 user thanked Mckenzie- for this useful post.
Offline erich hess  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2012 00:57:00(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17910 time(s) in 10405 post(s)
erich: saying this is good,it's like saying eating lard and smoking barber shop floor clippings is bad for you.it's just a given.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2012 18:42:03(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Isabel: I wish I was in an awesome band like you guys. I mean I sort of am but not really. You guys write the most incredible, catchy lyrics ever and you sound like veterans doing it! One of my favorite bands ever and you're still going strong :) Plus the live album, oh my god, my ears were full of pure happiness! Lol, wonderful job guys.

Edited by user 17 October 2012 02:56:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 17 October 2012 02:41:58(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Walton Go to Quoted Post
Serenity: Great song here guys. The lyrics were mind blowing :)

Amy: Thanks Serenity, I'm very glad that you liked it :)

Adam: Psssh, it was nothing really! All in a days work :P
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 17 October 2012 02:45:31(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Mckenzie- Go to Quoted Post
Ryan: I'm sick of giving you guys compliments, but I can't resist it! Everytime I think you have come out with your best song, you go right ahead and release one even better. Truly outstanding work here. Amy and Benjamin, take a bow, brilliant songwriting. It's got a real end of summer feel to it. Looking forward to your next record now even more.

Adam: Whaaat? I'd rather that the compliments keep coming from you to be honest :P I joke, it's a real honor to hear praise from your great self, thanks man! *bows*

Amy: Thank you Ryan, it always means a lot. I'm so glad that we continue to impress and I'm glad that you feel like we continue to outdo our previous work with each release.
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 17 October 2012 02:47:42(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
erich: saying this is good,it's like saying eating lard and smoking barber shop floor clippings is bad for you.it's just a given.

Jason: Haha, people can surprise you sometimes though!
Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 17 October 2012 02:53:52(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Isabel: I wish I was in an awesome band like you guys. I mean I sort of am but not really. You guys write the most incredible, catchy lyrics ever and you sound like veterans doung it! One of my favorite bands ever and you're still going strong :) Plus the live album, oh my god, my ears were full of pure happiness! Lol, wonderful job guys.

Justin: Thanks Isabel, that means a whole lot to us. We sound like veterans? You realise that we're all still just nineteen, right? Thank you very much though, it means the world to us.

Adam: Isabel is quite adorable, I'm yet to hear her say or sing anything that I do not like. I'm not so sure she's a human though ... human's have limitations, Izzy sadly does not! :/
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 17/10/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#10 Posted : 17 October 2012 23:39:06(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

RIOT! IN THE BOULEVARD – LIVE PERFORMANCE
FOR MTV UNLEASHED

Wednesday, 17 October 2012

UserPostedImage

Today’s audience are a selection of fans that queued up outside of the New York building, over 400 people were hoping to get into the audience but the MTV studio was only able to allow its 250 capacity, the chosen few however are clearly I great spirits at getting into the studio for this unexpected performance from the teenage heroes, ‘Riot! In The Boulevard’.
Their appearance tonight was kept quiet up until two hours before the recording of the 20 minute MTV special. It was announced on the MTV twitter feed that it would be a free-for-all, a first come first serve type of deal and within ten minutes of the tweet it had been re-tweeted countless of times and crowds quickly began forming outside of the TV studio located in Manhattan, New York.

As the crowds were ushered into the venue, a lot of people outside were left disappointed at the prospect of missing out on hearing their favourite band, but as they had been in rehearsals in the build-up to the performance they decided to reward their fans for their efforts in showing up, the whole band headed outside and made their way up and down the queue, signing autographs and chatting briefly to those who sadly missed out on this unexpected opportunity, their efforts were duly rewarded judging from the screams that could be heard at the appearance of Amy, Adam, Justin, Jason and Nathan. They spent their twenty minutes outside with their fans before being indicated that it was time for them to make their way inside for their performance.

Inside the venue an image of Riot! In The Boulevard is projected onto the screen with the words, ‘Riot! In The Boulevard – Live in …’ and below the image and title is a countdown from 60 seconds, the band have now made their way backstage and are awaiting the countdown to reach it’s ending. As the number’s quickly start to decrease from 10, 9, 8, 7 and 6, the audience are becoming more and more energetic and the screaming from the audience increases as the countdown continues to move towards it’s hallowed halt.
5 … *screams* … 4 … *screams* … 3 … *screams* … 2 … *screams* … 1 … and eruption as each member of the band come rushing out onto the center stage.

UserPostedImage

The stage has turned to a dark red colour and the audience’s screams continue to bellow out as lead guitarist ‘Justin Mullen’ provides a powerful and aggressive opening guitar riff for the introduction to the band’s latest single, the guitarist wearing a basic shirt with black tie and black trousers while the frontwoman ‘Amy Meyer’ does what she does best as she thunders her way to the very front of the stage, the small figure jumping up and down while swinging her arms around, she’s wearing a more casual black and white striped vest top and black trousers, her hair is messy and is almost draped over her eyes, she steps back and jumps around while Nathan plays the powerful drum beat and the rhythm and bass players are spread out to the right and left of the stage respectively, Amy steps forward once again and grasps the microphone, pulling it out from the stand, she tilts her head back and screams at the top of her voice, “NEW YORK CITY!!!” she looks out to the audience and smiles before continuing, “I WANNA HEAR YOU SCREAM!” and with that command the audience do so with incredible force and energy as Amy begins to sing the opening couple of verses;

“We live such different lives
It’s like everything keeps changing
We used to talk all night
Now it seems like we’re just fading
We’re going through the motions
We can both see the truth in front of us
Our ship is gonna sink

Kiss a rose and throw it in the sea
Just pray that the rose will find its way to me
We’re both young with a lot to learn
A heart beats heavier when it’s forced to yearn
Maybe we were stupid for getting into this
I sometimes wish I never met you
But it’s only you that I can miss”

A blistering guitar interlude mid-way through the song by Justin, Adam and Jason with all three providing an exhibition of their instrumental abilities, taking some of the attention away from the red-haired lead singer for a rare few moments, Justin in particular shows his ability as an accomplished guitar player, he’s often overlooked as a lead guitarist but what he provides to the band is a lot of the energy and power which he showcases in this thirty second instrumental, Justin and Adam both showcase their own ability’s and show that it’s not all just about the popular singer, but the attention shifts focus once more as Amy rushes towards the center of the stage once again, she continues to jump up and down and screams, “I WANT YOU GUYS TO SING ALONG WITH ME!”, she pauses briefly before continuing, “HERE WE GO!”;

“It’s hard to see the light
Right now it’s just way too dark
It’s hard to know that things will be alright
There’s still a flickering in my heart
Just believe in the words that I say to be true
New York City!!
I still hold a candle to you

We’re always going through the motions
Our ship is gonna sink
Maybe not right now
Maybe not today
Our love will die away
Maybe not here
But no matter how we try”

And for the final couple of words of the song, Amy directs the small black microphone in the direction of the audience for them to bellow out the final words, “SOMEWHERE ON THE HORIZON/WE WILL SAY GOODBYE”, is sung out by the Riot! fanatics in the audience. The lead guitar riff from Justin softens and then with three strikes against the strings the song comes to an end, only briefly however as a bass introduction from ‘Jason Greenberg’ sets up the next song from the teenage icons.

UserPostedImage

Amy is stood center stage, smiling widely as she brings the microphone up towards her mouth, “This next song is from our upcoming album, we’ve never played it before, so you lucky few will be hearing before anybody else. Here’s ‘A Place Called Home’. Hope you like it.” She smiles as the powerful drum beats from Nathan come into the song and is quickly followed by the rhythmic playing by ‘Adam Benjamin’ who interacts with a female fan member at the front of the stage by sticking his tongue out and pulling all kinds of bizarre facial expressions, the music steps up once again with the leading riff from Justin who makes his way to the front center of the stage, Amy looks at him and smiles as she rests her head on his shoulder, Amy and Justin are reportedly the two in the band that fight and argue with each other a lot but tonight they seem in good spirits with each other and are performing brilliantly as Amy then moves forward slightly and begins singing;

“Staring down the barrel of familiarity
My hometown hasn’t changed at all throughout the years
It’s just the same reminder of who I will always be
I always thought I’d leave this place, spread my wings and learn to fly
I always thought I’d find the courage
But these days I can’t seem to find a reason why

All those familiar things are comfortable and safe
It’s a part of life that I’ve always known
And although I always say that I’m gonna leave someday
That familiarity stops me from going

I sleep in the same room that I did as a child
I sleep in the same bed that I had as a teenager
I stare at the walls that have surrounded me for many years
And I realize that I’m comfortable
I know that I’ll never leave
No matter how many times I dream
They’ll never really become reality”

Another brief instrumental break mid-way through the song puts the spotlight on both bassist ‘Jason Greenberg’ and drummer ‘Nathan Mullen’, as the guitarist steps forward slightly plucking the strings of his bass guitar, giving the songs instrumentation a deeper sound and the gigantic pounding sounds of the drumming giving the song the power and dramatic feel to the occasion, the two also show their technique and ability as instrumentalists as Amy gladly passes the spotlight however briefly to her fellow musicians, it’s nice to see them being given their own opportunity to shine, but the spotlight is quickly back onto the flame-haired singer as she moves back to the center of the stage, again jumping up and down as the lead guitar and rhythm guitar riffs come back into play, she brings the microphone up to her mouth and begins singing once more;

“But I stop myself
Maybe I’m too afraid
I’m just not destined to leave
Perhaps this is my hometown for a reason
And it’s safe and familiar
Maybe I’m not destined to roam
I’ll stick to this place
This place that I call home

I’ll sit in my room with a notebook and pen
I’ll write down my dreams and just let them fade away again
My friends will be out there, exploring the great wide open
I’ll never truly give up my dreams
I’ll never stop hoping

But it’s now so plain to see
Those sweet little fantasies no longer run away with me
While all the non-believers are just the same
And those long distance conversations still remain”

And with the final verse of the song the largely teenage and young adult crowd erupt once again, this time at the fact that Amy has just name-checked the band’s three biggest hits during the final verse of the song, Amy stands center stage with a huge smile upon her face almost like she’s bathing in the glory and adulation that the audience is giving her and as the instrumentals come to a close, each of the three guitarists step to the front of the stage alongside Amy and acknowledge the audience, smiling and raising their hands in appreciation of the energy that the crowd have brought to the performance, they take a brief bow but Amy brings the microphone up towards her mouth once again, she looks at Adam to her right and Jason and Justin to her left and then back out to the audience as she asks, “You guys wanna hear one more?”.
To which end the audience erupt as you’d imagine, the three guitarists quickly turn and get back into position as Amy stays stood center stage, she smiles, “Alright guys, this is from our last album, it’s a personal favourite but I may need a little quiet. It’s called ‘Trading Love And Faith In The Aftermath Of Heartbreak’”

UserPostedImage

‘Adam Benjamin’ has replaced his guitar and makes his way to Amy at the front of the stage while the other guys begin to play a gentle instrumental introduction. As Adam stands beside Amy, she like she did with Justin in the previous song, she looks at him and smiles, resting her hair upon his shoulder, Adam then places his arm on her left shoulder almost bringing her closer into his body for a friendly hug, he places a kiss upon the top of her head and they both smile to one-another, the audience in almost complete silence as just the soft instrumental from the band that surrounds her can be heard playing, with her head still resting on Adam’s shoulder, Amy then brings the microphone up to her mouth once again as she softly sings the opening lines to the band’s song;

“Echo, echo can you still hear my voice
It may have faded a little over time but it’s still within me
While I may have lost the things I once had
The fire in my stomach has never burned so deeply
And since you went away and left me alone
Well, to cut a long story short
I’ve spent these last few years in the shadows
Burying myself away until the perfect opportunity has arisen
In this chamber of hearts that has become my own prison

So you’re happy now, you’ve found someone new
Well I guess it’s time for my revenge
Because your happiness is my cue
I’ll check myself in the mirror
To make sure that my hair falls perfectly in place
I’ll wear the close that you used to like
And I will look at you with a smile on my face
I’ll bite my bottom lip because I know that you can’t resist it
You always had a soft spot for this unlovable misfit”

The audience remain almost completely silent save for the few that are quietly singing along while the other have raised their mobile phones in the air in an attempt to add to the emotional atmosphere that the song and in particular Amy’s singing bring to the performance, Amy’s head is still resting softly upon Adam’s shoulder as he plays the tender guitar instrumental to the song while Justin, Jason and Nathan all continue to add to the mood with their soft instrumental backing but the spotlight has fallen on the two stood center stage, if you didn’t know better than you’d think that love is blossoming right there in front of your eyes but it’s clear that it the closeness between both Amy and Adam just adds to the tender emotion of the final song of the evening, during a very brief instrumental break, Amy closed her eyes but as she opens them up again and brings the microphone close to her once more, she continues to sing;

“I don’t need your arms wrapped around me
I don’t need your heart beating with mine
I don’t need you holding me close on those cold winter nights
I don’t need any of that, this time
I’m learning something that’s completely new
Apparently it’s a thing called loneliness
But everything you’ve heard about it untrue

Loneliness is underrated
You get full control of your own heart
Instead of relying on someone else to make it better
Only you can break it apart
See, it’s not that I hate people, I just feel better when they’re not around
I don’t find loneliness scary anymore
I think it’s meaningful and profound

I’m trading love and faith in the aftermath of heartbreak
This defeated heart is destined to be alone
The girl that once needed to be protected and loved
Well, she doesn’t need that anymore
So I’m trading love and faith in the aftermath of heartbreak
I don’t need anyone to make me happy
I can do that on my own”

The audience begin to cheer and ripples of applause begin throughout the crowd in front of the band as they thought that the song had come to its end but they quickly stop as Adam continues to play his guitar with the soft instrumentation continuing, the rest of the band have stopped with the exception of Adam and Amy, she gives a tender smile to the audience as she begins to continue singing;

“Took this love and took it down
Climbed a mountain and turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hill
Till the landslide brought me down
Oh’ mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
And can I sail through the changing ocean tides
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
Oh, I don’t know”

Amy smiles softly once more and her voice now rather quiet, she asks the audience, “Can you guys sing along to this beautiful song?”, the audience cheer lightly as she continues to sing a cover of Landslide by Fleetwood Mac, the audience members that know the lyrics to the song await the guitar instrumentation that indicates the next few lines of the song and as Amy begins singing, a vast majority of the crowd begin singing the iconic lines to the 70’s classic written by Stevie Nicks;

“Well I’ve been afraid of changing
‘Cause I’ve built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older and I’m getting older too
Yes I’m getting older too, so

I’ve been afraid of changing
‘Cause I’ve built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older
And I’m getting older too
Yes I’m getting older too

So, take this love, take it down
Oh if you climb the mountain and turn around
If you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well the landslide will bring you down
And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well maybe the landslide will bring you down”

As the song ends on its sombre note Amy smiles to the audience before wrapping her arms around the shoulders of Adam Benjamin. Each member of the band including drummer ‘Nathan Mullen’ make their way to the front of the stage and line up side by side, all smiling and clearly delighted with the way that the performance has went down, they all take a bow and acknowledge the audience once again before embracing each other individually, the audience continue to cheer as the band remain centre stage, Amy light-heartedly thanks the audience for coming out to see them on such short notice before they make their way backstage as the MTV titles roll down the screen to the sound of the audiences applause and cheers.

SETLIST;
Somewhere On The Horizon
A Place Called Home (The Leaving Song)
Trading Love And Faith In The Aftermath Of Heartbreak
Landslide (Fleetwood Mac Cover)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
Walton on 17/10/2012(UTC)