logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline genocidal king  
#1 Posted : 09 November 2012 07:50:01(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
UserPostedImage

GEMMA URIE CHATS TO DJ NICK GRIMSHAW

"I want people to see that I am a lot more than just another blonde pop bimbo. I'm one of the hardest-working people I know, and I know I can prove myself to be worthy of the chance I've got."

UserPostedImage

Well well well look who just walked into the studio here. It's my lovely guest who we are gonna have a word or two with after the next track. Gemma Urie from Lashes is just putting her headphones on...give her a little second. Hi Gemma, and welcome along to Radio One Breakfast show. You're looking fabulous for such an early time in the morning.

Awwww you're so sweet, Grimmy, thank you babes. You don't look too bad yourself, very stylish. As always. I love the cardigan you were wearing earlier.

What can I say? A guy who sits in a studio all day has to look good for the no cameras, right? (Laughs) Anyway, Gem, you sit back and get yourself a cuppa and a custard cream, we're gonna play another song right now, and I mean this really was bad timing that this came up on my playlist when you came in..

Is it her? (Laughs)

Honestly, I didn't set it up at all. It just came up on me screen here. Put your fingers in your ears if you want and I'll give you a nod when we're ready. Anyway, don't go anywhere, cos I'll be back in..oooh.....3 minutes 14 seconds to speak to the radiant and beautiful Ms Gemma Urie. First though, let's hear the new track from a bit of a controversial young lady. This has been huge on the texts and tweets all week, it's Suzie and Dance With The Queen.

Suzie's new single plays out over the radio as Grimmy goes quiet

And we're back! That was Suzie, of course, inimitable as always. However, in perhaps some of the most comedic timing of a track being played ever, I've been joined in my boudoir of a studio by the one and only Lashes singer, Gemma Urie! Yayyy!

Yaaaay! Hi Grimmy. It's great to be here. Seems so surreal though when I was looking at all of the photos of like top stars you've got out there, and now here I am. I am totally honoured to be here, babe. it's great to see you again.

And yourself. I don't think we've spoken since.....oooh...it must have been that last Fans Choice Awards innit? That were a while back. Now first things first, and we can't really ignore the rumours that have been flying around...big rumours...are Lashes done with?

(A few moments of silence followed by a clearing of her throat and a long deep breath) Yes. Wow, it feels kinda wonderful to say that at last. Radio One exclusive right there for you, honey. But yeah, I can confirm that Lashes did split up, just last week. We've been keeping it between just us and Brit Knox and trying to decide who gets naming rights in the future if they want to keep the band going or reform it.

Wow....and is that something you'd be likely to go for? Reuniting it or continuing it, I mean?

No no no (laughs) Believe me, that part was not for me. We were working out if Star Factory should keep the name or if Natalya or the girls should have the chance to do what they want with it. Personally, I had to walk away. There were two big characters in that group in me and Nat and there was no way we could continue to work together as members of the same band. (She sighs) Arguing with someone day in, day out just gets exhausting and a time came to be mature about it. I just held my hands up and said I was going to walk away, and then the rest of the girls decided to call time on the whole band.

With all the turbulence that came with the band, are you glad that you had the chance to be in it, or is it something you regret?

Oh I definitely don't regret it. I got the chance to learn what the music industry is like, and I got the chance to perform in front of thousands of people every week on Star Factory. I don't think anyone can deny that for a while at least, I and the rest of the girls were blessed. I also found out that to be a musician or a singer, I had to add that because I know Twitter will be alive with the sound of people telling me I'm not a musician; but yeah, I realised the hard work that goes into music. Myself and Brittany Knox would spend hours each week discussing a lot of different aspects of performance for one song, so I gained a lot more respect for everyone who works in this industry from the few months I had in Lashes. What I do sort of resent is the fact that Lashes was almost 100% me and Brit behind the scenes. I mean, I know Nat liked to be the face of the band out there at the front, but she was never present at planning and discussions, and if anything, it's made me weary to do the whole "band" thing at any time in my career again. I feel that carrying people doesn't help with my own performance, and a lot of time in Lashes was spent having to chase up and teach Nat everything was not at all ideal.

UserPostedImage

So what's next for you now that your career in Lashes is over?

Oh gosh, Grimmy darling, big things. Big things. I actually have many things in the pipeline. I've spent the last few weeks actually interacting with Scott RH over at Chaos Records about a debut single. I loved some of the stuff he has written in the past for like Metallic Swan and a few others, and so I wanted to get the chance to work with him. He sent me the song over this week, and I've been in a studio with James preparing my debut solo single. It's going to be called Precious, and I'm excited. Very excited. I'm hoping that from there I'll have the chance to possibly record more; I'm not getting ahead of myself though, and I'm not big headed, so I think I'll wait to see how the debut single goes first and decide from there. Pressure can be a friend, but it's also an enemy at times, so I don't want to put much on myself if I don't need to.

Right, now...I don't really feel great about bringing this up, but there are people texting in saying they want the answer, and you are here; you've found yourself cast into the news in this last week haven't you? What happened in that nightclub with Suzie?

(Gemma chuckles nervously) Ummm....so, I wasn't ready for this, maybe I should have been, though. Okay, well, yeah, it was very disappointing that it came to that. I swear I am not a violent person, but Suzie really knows how to press someone's buttons, and she definitely wanted to get me going for whatever reason; probably because she's Natalya's friend, and the split in the band had happened by then. I had had a drink because I was celebrating with me friends the fact that I'm a married woman. It was the first time I had seen some of them since James and I tied the knot, and it was a nice night, until she came over and started claiming to have slept with James. I should have been mature enough to know that she was lying and just walk away, but I took the bait, and I'm not proud of that. I suppose I'm not used to the fact that as "celebs" we have a bit of a target on our backs, and I need to learn how to calm myself. I woke up with a sore face and a pained pride. But I can promise I won't do anything like that again in future; I don't want to get the wrong sort of message out there about myself.

Speaking of your marriage, and you must get this all the time, is it real love? There are a lot of rumours that it came around very quickly.

Don't look so embarrassed to ask me that Grimmy, love (laughs). Seriously, if anyone thinks James and I are under any illusions about the fact that our wedding will be seen as weird, then they are mistaken. We know how it must look and we know people must think that we dived into it, but we've all heard of love at first sight, yeah? We met on the Star Factory set, and we just clicked quicker than with anyone else I have ever met. I know that we might have some tough times to come, and we know that we don't know everything about each other yet, but we know we love each other and that we want to spend our entire lives together. Oh God, I sound like such a cliché don't I? (laughs). But yeah, we are in love for real, and I guess we just have to see if we stand the test of time.

I wanna go back and talk about Star Factory a bit if you don't mind. The new series is coming up soon of course, and a new crop of contestants will be looking to grasp the attention of the world's fans. You guys were well known for being rather eccentric and sexual; was that your own choice or was it pushed on you?

(Laughs) A bit of both, yeah. We came together kinda last minute, and we knew that having something unique was important, and together we decided that we should look at some sort of burlesque thing. It was kind of a niche in the market, and it caught people's attention, so I can't say at all that we were wrong to do it you know? At the same time though, we were never discouraged from doing it by the producers and our mentor. Brit is a clever clever lady, and I think she knew that it would be a good way to let people remember our name.

And it might be why you caught your husbands eye!

HAHA! Oh my God, you could be right! It's probably just as well I kept all of the costumes after the show finished then! I might give James his own little personal one quarter of Lashes show when I get back home to LA.

UserPostedImage

Then that is one lucky lucky man, right there. Again on Star Factory though; these shows get a bad name from a lot of people, but what was your experience of the show?

It was wonderful. I know these kind of things have their detractors, but so many people got behind it, and behind us, and it was just wonderful fun. Like I said earlier, as well, it let me see what it's like to be in music. It almost doubles up like some sort of music college where you learn all about the industry, and a competition obviously, which is the way it should be, It doesn't just cast people out of the other side and into the abyss. It prepared us all I think. It was a place where I was able to make friends too. Maybe not in my own band, but I got to know Brit really well, and others like Casey, who was brilliant, Kelli O'Day who has a fantastic voice, and little Ashley Grimmie, who might just be the sweetest girl I ever met. Without the show, I would never have had the chance to meet any of them.

And do you now feel you want to distance yourself from the show, now that you're done?

It's a tough one in some ways. On one hand, I don't want to always be seen as Gemma, the Star Factory alumni, but at the same time, I'm a great believer in never forgetting where you come from. People should always respect their roots, because your start is where the essence of what you are is created, no matter how you turn out. So there will always be a bit of Star Factory with me, without a doubt, but at the same time, I will be looking to show who I am as myself. I want people to see that I am a lot more than just another blonde pop bimbo. I'm one of the hardest-working people I know, and I know I can prove myself to be worthy of the chance I've got.

You worked closely with Brittany Knox, how do you see that relationship going in the future?

I'd like to have the chance to keep working with her if possible. She taught me so much, and I'll always be in debt to her, but we haven't had the chance to sit down and talk about it yet. If the chance comes up though, it would be fantastic to work with Brit again.Obviously we released her song Leather Love as our only single, and that lets you know how much of a fan I am. The girl is fantastic, and she's always an idol of mine. Such a sweetheart too.

You mentioned a new single earlier; tell me about that, what's it gonna sound like and what should we look out for?

It's a really great sounding pop beat. It's like a sort of dance song come pop. It's got that crossover element that I love, so that it works in the mainstream market wonderfully, but it can also be played in clubs and stuff. That new girl Pixie executes the crossover really well...as does....Suzie and people like Serenity Scott, and I think this does it too. The song's fun, it's bright, it's got attitude, and I hope it'll stand out. It'll be available for download and airplay from November 18th too, so I hope people get behind it and...well I just hope it makes a good impression really.

Sounds good. Now, you've become a bit of Ca-li-fornia girl of late, but you're back in England for a while yeah? How long are you back for?

Hahaha, yeah I have. I so have. I'm loving the sun and the bikini weather, and it's so different to what we have here. At the same time though, it's good to visit home for a bit like now. James and I are in England for a few days, just visiting my family, who we haven't seen since the big day, and then it'll be back on the flight to LA to get working on promo for my single. There will be tears when I have to leave!

Awwww I'm sure there will be. Well listen Gemma, it's been fantastic to speak to you. Thank you so much for coming in this morning. Before you go though, you've selected a song for me to play up next. So I'll let you introduce it.

UserPostedImage

You're such a sweetheart Grimshaw, and thanks millions for having me. It's been such fun! Anyway, yeah I chose this song because this is a guy who is making waves in the industry at the moment, and he's bringing out a genre that I feared would be lost. He has done it so well too. This one is by one of my favourite young artists at the moment, and it's For the Night by Kato!

What a choice what a choice. Ladies and gents let's hear it for my beautiful and fantastic guest Gemma Urie! Wooooooo!

The sound of the two voices fades before Kato's For The Night starts to play over the radio.

Edited by user 09 November 2012 07:50:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
Walton on 09/11/2012(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 09/11/2012(UTC), erich hess on 09/11/2012(UTC), BrownSugar on 09/11/2012(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 09/11/2012(UTC), mebeme101 on 10/11/2012(UTC)
User is suspended until 28/07/4752 18:55:55(UTC) Walton  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2012 08:09:19(UTC)
Walton

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1998 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
Serenity: Aw, you think that I execute the whole 'crossover' thing? That's sweet. I'm happy for both you and James and I think everyone has heard of love at first sight. Good luck with everything! :)
thanks 1 user thanked Walton for this useful post.
genocidal king on 09/11/2012(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#3 Posted : 09 November 2012 09:15:40(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
James: Although I don't appreciate how that guy was flirting with you ...I know the man is pretty mad that you're happily married. I'm so happy to have gotten a chance to meet someone as beautiful, optimistic, mature and caring as yourself and I'm happy you're putting all the negative things behind you and although I do not condone you fighting in night clubs, she did deserve to get clobbered babe and when you get home be ready to sit back relax and enjoy a nice massage from me ;). Really though, you're really doing your thing and people don't know what you've got coming... You are a start baby, you truly are.

OOC: Loved the interview :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#4 Posted : 09 November 2012 10:26:14(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Jennifer: Gemma, I say this as nice as I can, but if you're gonna be in this business, you have to deal with people like Suzie. It comes with the job unfortunately. You just have to take it all in stride and focus on your career and husband :)

OOC: Great job on this, loved reading it :) And thanks for the plug there ;) Lol.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Offline genocidal king  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2012 20:09:46(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Walton Go to Quoted Post
Serenity: Aw, you think that I execute the whole 'crossover' thing? That's sweet. I'm happy for both you and James and I think everyone has heard of love at first sight. Good luck with everything! :)

Gemma: Of course, honey. Your songs are far too under-appreciated. Not by me, though. I think you are fantastic. Awww thank you so much :) We appreciate the love, and I hope that I can make some music in the future that you want to hear. Thanks again, hun :)

UserPostedImage
Offline genocidal king  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2012 22:41:54(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
James: Although I don't appreciate how that guy was flirting with you ...I know the man is pretty mad that you're happily married. I'm so happy to have gotten a chance to meet someone as beautiful, optimistic, mature and caring as yourself and I'm happy you're putting all the negative things behind you and although I do not condone you fighting in night clubs, she did deserve to get clobbered babe and when you get home be ready to sit back relax and enjoy a nice massage from me ;). Really though, you're really doing your thing and people don't know what you've got coming... You are a start baby, you truly are.

OOC: Loved the interview :)

Gemma: Awwww James, I think Grimmy might be gay anyway babe, I don't think he was interested in me at all in that way. He's just a really lovely guy. You are so sweet babe, and I love you so much. I'm amazingly glad that I met you too. It is without doubt the best thing that happened on StarFactory, the fact that I met the guy I'm gonna love for all my life. You are the best person I have ever known and you treat me like a princess. I don't care what people say about us. I meant that about the show off of my Lashes costumes when we get back to LA too ;) Thank you so much for believing in me hubby. I'm going to make you so proud. I promise :)

OOC: Thanks so much :) I really enjoyed writing it, so I'm glad you liked reading :)
UserPostedImage
Offline erich hess  
#7 Posted : 09 November 2012 23:24:23(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17928 time(s) in 10420 post(s)
Ooc: killer work as always.

Erica: aww,she seems so sweet. I feel kinda ashamed for saying she probably started things with her and suzie.

Nina:just one of many,many things you should be ashamed of,love.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
Offline genocidal king  
#8 Posted : 10 November 2012 00:11:06(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Jennifer: Gemma, I say this as nice as I can, but if you're gonna be in this business, you have to deal with people like Suzie. It comes with the job unfortunately. You just have to take it all in stride and focus on your career and husband :)

OOC: Great job on this, loved reading it :) And thanks for the plug there ;) Lol.

Gemma: Thanks Jennifer :) I think in future I'll be a lot more sensible and not let her get to me. I was stupid to take the bait but she is good at knowing how to wind a person up. I suppose from now on I just need to ignore people that are worthless like she is. Thanks again for the advice :)

OOC: Thank youu :) Lol no problem, you can pay me the $10 later :P

UserPostedImage
Offline mebeme101  
#9 Posted : 10 November 2012 02:07:21(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Andrea: From someone who's been criticized since before my debut single I know how it is there's always gonna be that one person that tries to hurt you and make you feel bad about something no matter what you do I mean you could do so much good but people will only see the little mistakes you made and make them seem so much bigger than they are anyway what I'm trying to get to is someone is always going to talk bad and try to wind you up don't give them that satisfaction I know it's hard to not punch or swear or yell at someone at times but it's for the best let them talk and look like and idiot while you be the bigger person good luck with everything Gemma and congrats again on the marriage

ooc: Really really good job here Scott enjoyed reading this :)

Edited by user 10 November 2012 02:09:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
genocidal king on 10/11/2012(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#10 Posted : 10 November 2012 09:58:47(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Ooc: killer work as always.

Erica: aww,she seems so sweet. I feel kinda ashamed for saying she probably started things with her and suzie.

Nina:just one of many,many things you should be ashamed of,love.

OOC: Thank you very much :) very kind of you to say :)

Gemma: Awwww Erica don't worry. Don't feel bad. You didn't know who I was so it could have been my fault. I forgive you sweetie :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
erich hess on 10/11/2012(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#11 Posted : 10 November 2012 10:58:30(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17928 time(s) in 10420 post(s)
erica:thank you soooo much! i've been so catty lately,i dont know why.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline genocidal king  
#12 Posted : 11 November 2012 23:37:03(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Andrea: From someone who's been criticized since before my debut single I know how it is there's always gonna be that one person that tries to hurt you and make you feel bad about something no matter what you do I mean you could do so much good but people will only see the little mistakes you made and make them seem so much bigger than they are anyway what I'm trying to get to is someone is always going to talk bad and try to wind you up don't give them that satisfaction I know it's hard to not punch or swear or yell at someone at times but it's for the best let them talk and look like and idiot while you be the bigger person good luck with everything Gemma and congrats again on the marriage

ooc: Really really good job here Scott enjoyed reading this :)

Gemma: That's a wonderful message Andrea. Thank you, sweetie, thats so kind of you to give me some nice advice and I hope that everything works out for you in life. You deserve a break sometime soon, darling. Such a nice girl :)

OOC: thanks very much :) glad you enjoyed reading it :)
UserPostedImage