logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Head South Records  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2023 07:26:23(UTC)
Head South Records

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 48 post(s)
g

Discover Your Sound: Head South's Live Auditions Hit Brighton

Head South is hitting Brighton with a storm of opportunity that'll make your heart race and your amps hum. We're on the lookout for the undiscovered gems, the unpolished diamonds, and the sonic renegades who are ready to carve their names into the annals of alternative music history.

Unveil Your Magic: Are you the one who's been crafting riffs in your garage, sculpting lyrics under the moonlight, and creating melodies that resonate with the soul? It's time to step into the spotlight. Head South is opening its doors to artists who dare to be different, who push the boundaries of the norm, and who live, breathe, and dream in the language of alternative music.

An Audition Like No Other: We don't believe in one-size-fits-all auditions. Our sessions are a journey, a discovery of your musical universe. Whether you're a solo artist with a guitar and a message, a band that thrashes out emotions, or an electronic wizard conjuring beats from the future, we want to hear what makes you tick, what sets your heart ablaze, and what makes your sound uniquely yours.

How to Audition:
The process? Simple. Head to the designated audition venue in Brighton, armed with your music and a heart brimming with the desire to break the mold. Play your originals, let your music do the talking, and let your alternative spirit shine through. The label's scouts are ready to listen, ready to be inspired, and ready to welcome you into the "Head South" family.

Audition place : Head South Café, Brighton, UK.
A Home for the Unconventional: Head South Café is more than just a venue; it's a haven for those who celebrate the alternative. The eclectic vibe, the creative aura, and the welcoming ambiance make it the perfect stage for auditions that defy the ordinary. Trust us; you'll feel right at home.

Remember, it's not just an audition – it's an invitation to be part of the alternative music legacy.

"Head South" is calling; will you answer?

(Out of RP: this is the place where everyone is welcome to post an audition RP. Our scout will judge your performance on 1 song only ;). Be warned, sometimes our scouts will sign your artist...Sometimes it's a no! But don't take it bad, it's only for fun and roleplay ;). Feel free to submit whenever you want)

Edited by user 16 September 2023 18:49:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Our Roster :
Cerys Nyland | Jack Dunn | Oona Clarke | Sigrún | Jugendstil | Voodoo Dolls | Mother of Tigers
thanks 3 users thanked Head South Records for this useful post.
erich hess on 03/09/2023(UTC), C4AJoh on 16/09/2023(UTC), 2001clay on 10/10/2023(UTC)
#2 Posted : 13 September 2023 07:48:45(UTC)
Head South Records

As the evening sun painted Brighton's Head South Café with hues of gold, the air was filled with an electric buzz of anticipation. The scouts from the label were stationed at a table, pints in hand, immersing themselves in the eclectic mix of sounds emanating from the stage.The usual chatter of clients was drowned out by the subtle hum of excitement, for tonight, the stage belonged to a newcomer - a young artist named Sigrún, hailing from the distant shores of Iceland.

As she stepped into the spotlight, a slender figure with cascading locks of blonde hair framed her face, giving her an ethereal aura. She wears a white dress with symbols looking like scandinavian runes. Sigrún stood poised before a synthesizer. Beside it, an 8-track mixer, ready to capture the essence of her music. Despite the cheers and exuberant cries from the audience, she exuded an air of serene focus.

The scouts, seated at their table, observed with intrigue. There was an undeniable magnetism to Sigrún, an enigmatic charm that held them in rapt attention. In the shadows, a drummer poised, sticks at the ready, and a guitarist, fingers poised on strings, awaited their cue.

With a voice like a gentle breeze over an icy fjord, Sigrún introduced herself, her accent carrying the essence of her homeland. "Hej, my name is Sigrún, we're happy to be here. This song is called 'The Border of the Icy Forest'." And with that, the room plunged into her world.

The crowd emitted a mix of cheers and screams, but Sigrún remained unfazed, her focus entirely on the upcoming performance.

With deft fingers, She began to strum her synthesizer, producing a basic yet entrancing piano rhythm. With one hand, she played, while the other operated the 8-track recorder. In a seamless dance of creation, she recorded the piano rhythm, weaving it into a loop that resonated through the air. The piano now danced on its own, guided by her previous touch.

Sigrún's voice, tender yet rich, repeated the words "Icy Forest," each note a brushstroke in an audio painting. She captured her vocals, layering them with the piano loop, creating a cascade of sound that enveloped the room. The scouts watched in awe, captivated by her unorthodox approach.

The composition unfolded a crescendo of emotion and intensity. The drums and electric guitar joined the symphony, their beats and chords merging with Sigrún's melodies. The room pulsed with the raw energy of her performance. Sigrún then moved with a mesmerizing grace, her body an extension of the music, executing a dance that seemed to channel the very essence of the Icy Forest.

r

Her song, a tale of escape and communion with nature, resonated deeply. A young girl's journey from urban confines to the solace of the cold woods, a narrative woven through notes and lyrics. The climax approached, and Sigrún's movements took on a convulsive energy, a raw expression of her connection to the music. The crowd, once silent witnesses, erupted in jubilant cheers, swept up in the unexpected spectacle.

The moment came when Sigrún released the loops from her 8-track, signaling the finale. The room erupted in applause, a chorus of approval that echoed off the walls.

Quentin MacEwen, Head of the Scouting Dept., approached with a smile that held genuine admiration. "Well done, dear, what instruments do you play?" he inquired, eager to delve into the artist's world.

r

"Guitar, 8-track, piano, mostly," Sigrún replied, her eyes sparkling with a love for her craft. "But I have a fondness for traditional instruments. I'm always eager to learn something new."

Curiosity sparked, the scout continued, "And that voice of yours, where did you find it?"

"I was in a choir, back in a little church in Iceland," Sigrún shared, a nostalgic warmth in her voice. "My mother always said I had a beautiful voice."

The scout adressed as smile. "Aye, I can well believe it. There's a certain magic in a mother's words, isn't there?"

As the conversation unfolded, the crowd's enthusiasm swelled, a collective plea echoing through the room. "Sign her! Sign her!" they chanted, a testament to the impact Sigrún had made.

With a gracious smile, Sigrún acknowledged the crowd, a newfound star in the Brighton scene. Her performance was more than a song; it was an experience, an invitation into a world where music transcended borders and touched souls. And on this night, Head South had borne witness to the birth of a new musical talent

Edited by user 14 October 2023 01:43:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Our Roster :
Cerys Nyland | Jack Dunn | Oona Clarke | Sigrún | Jugendstil | Voodoo Dolls | Mother of Tigers
thanks 1 user thanked Head South Records for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 16/09/2023(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#3 Posted : 10 October 2023 02:00:09(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8571 time(s) in 2687 post(s)
JACK DUNN LIVE
HEAD SOUTH RECORDS - AUDITION
Head South Café, Brighton, UK.

Sunday 8th October, 2023

UserPostedImage

A small crowd began to gather outside of the Head South Café around 6:30pm on Sunday evening, there was a buzz of anticipation as the venue had posted out the news that there was a live performance audition due later that evening and that the lucky fans quick enough to get down to the venue would be able to witness this performance free of charge. It was confirmed online that the artists name was Jack Dunn and that he was an Alternative Rock singer-songwriter from the North East of England, but little more information than that was offered out. This didn’t deter the crowds though as the venue doors opened up and a crowd of 300 plus music fans settled into the building, the wait was around twenty five minutes between getting into the venue and Jack Dunn making his way on stage. Just enough time for the crowd to get themselves a drink or two and find a place in the standing room area of the building. The hum of conversation disappeared as the venue lights went out and a spotlight hit the stage, a couple of figured could be seen getting themselves set up onstage in the relative darkness, the buzz of instruments being plugged in soon turned to silence as the sound of a voice stated, “Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome to the stage, Jack Dunn” and the crowd gave a welcoming applause as the unsigned artist made his way onto the stage.

He walked out onto the stage, wearing a sweater and jeans and with an electric guitar strapped over his shoulders, he looked out at the crowd and placed his fingers in his ears to acknowledge the noise they were making, he adjusted the microphone stand and yelled clearly over the noise, “Brighton, what the fuck’s happening? to which the cheers increased in volume before breaking up and the silence of anticipation began. “My name is Jack Dunn and I’m here auditioning live for Head South Records. It’s canny fuckin’ scary, I’m not going to lie to you.” he shakes his head and laughs a little as the crowd give out a smattering of laughed and cheers, “Now, they said I’m only supposed to perform one original song as part of the audition. But it’s a bit of a piss take for you to all come down here at short notice just for one song.” the crowd cheer at the suggestion that he’ll perform more than one song, “And well, I’ve never really been one for rules. Even if it means fucking up this one shot at a record deal with this label. But fuck it, they never said anything about cover songs. Are you lads and lasses ready to fucking go!” he says as his drummer starts pounding a beat behind him.

He strikes the opening chords on his electric guitar of his opening song, a fast-paced electric cover of the Neil Young song “The Needle and the Damage Done”, he plays with a ferocious energy alongside his supporting band, his drummer furiously adding power to the usually slow-paced and melancholic song which appears to have been given an angry re-working from this unknown artist. His vocal delivery doesn’t have the soft tones of the original song, but instead have an aggression and snarl in a very old-school rock and roll tone. Jack moves around the stage with confidence during brief instrumental breaks within the song and showcases his comfort onstage, having clearly honed his craft onstage prior to tonight’s performance. He appears comfortable onstage and certainly battle ready, delivering his guitar playing and vocal performance with confidence as he sings out the powerful lyrics;

“I caught you knockin’ at my cellar door
I love you, baby, can I have some more?
Ooh, ooh, the damage done
I hit the city and I lost my band
I watched the needle take another man
Gone, gone, the damage done

I sing the song because I love the man
I know that some of you don’t understand
Milk blood to keep from running out
I’ve seen the needle and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every junkie’s like a settin’ sun”

As the song comes to an end, Jack takes in the brief applause from the crowd with a big smile on his face. He takes his guitar off his shoulders and pulls his sweater off over his head, throwing it towards the side of the stage. Wearing a plain t-shirt underneath, he puts his guitar back on over his shoulders. He walks up to the microphone and places his hands on it, “Fuckin’ hell, it’s canny warm in here like.” he laughs as he looks out at the crowd, “How you lot doing? Are you’s having fun, so far?” he says to the crowd as they cheer in response, he takes the brief break as an opportunity to take a mouthful of water from a bottle near the front of the stage, he looks back at his band, giving them a subtle signal as he turns back to the microphone. “Honestly, I wasn’t sure what covers to play for you tonight. We’ve got an original song to play for you after this next one. But we’re going to do a song from The Clash called “Lost in the Supermarket”. I fuckin’ love The Clash, man. And this song feels pretty relevant right now.”

He turns and signals to the band as his guitarist plays straight into the opening chords of the track, it’s fast-paced as you’d expect and Jack bounces back and forward across the stage during an extended intro to the song before holding out his guitar and striking three chords before bringing back into his chest and playing into the track, he sidles up to the microphone and delivers a rapid-fire delivery of the songs lyrics;

“I’m all lost in the supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
A guaranteed personality
I wasn’t born so much as I fell out
Nobody seemed to notice me
We had a hedge back home in the suburbs
Over which I never could see

I heard the people who live on the ceiling
Scream and fight most scarily
Hearing that noise was my first ever feeling
That’s how it’s been all around me”

UserPostedImage

He drives through the song with a punk-rock type of intensity, maybe just not quite as rough around the edges and as the song finishes he stands center stage with the spotlight on his face for a few moments. Beads of sweat dripping down his face, he takes a couple of breaths and lets the noise die down before placing two hands on the microphone and introducing the next song simplistically, “This is an original song, it’s called “Lowlife”. Let’s go!” and with that the drum beat sets up the intro to the song, the beats are loud and stuttered as it feels like the band are going to slow it down a little for this track. Jack strikes down on his guitar strings three times in a row before the band fully kick into the track, the energy kicks up a little but is still slightly more slower-paced than the previous two songs. It appears that the band takes the lead on the instrumentation on this one as Jack plays the opening guitar intro before swinging it behind his back for the rest of the song, he stands still centre stage as his band play all around him and he holds both hands on the microphone and closes his eyes while he sings. There’s an angry tone to his vocal delivery but it’s softer and shows an element of melancholy and emotion mixed with an underlying tinge of anger. It’s lyrics depict an image of growing up poor and being looked down on;

“Growing up around these parts, there’s fuck all for us to do
Council houses and council parks
Where they’ve let the grass grow too long to even walk through
So we get grief from the fuzz
For kicking a Football against a garage wall
Some stuck up prick that thinks he’s better than this
Calls it anti-social
And he’s reported us all

Whey, haven’t you got nowt better to do
With your sad little life
We’re just trying to make some fucking fun around here
Cause we’ve seen how nobody gets out alive

And they all think I’m just a lowlife
Because I talk with an accent
And I wasn’t brought up with a silver spoon
And I always tried my best to be polite, always tried my best to stay in school
And they all think I’m just a lowlife
Because I talk with an accent
And I wasn’t brought up with a silver spoon
And I always tried my best to be polite, always tried my best to stay in school”

The crowd cheer along and subtly move to the music, allowing themselves to feel the true content of the lyrics and soak up the emotion and feeling of the song and it’s sentiments. Although it’s a lot of miles between the venue and his hometown it seems like the message of the song is one that is relatable to those in the South of the country too as they appear to have been completely drawn into the songs imagery. He puts away the show that he delivered with the opening two numbers and offers a completely different version of himself on this track, showing his ability to switch between aggressive and energetic punk influenced style to something more sombre and heartfelt and judging by the emotional response of the crowd, something real and raw, something a lot of people in the venue seem to be able to relate to very well.

As the song progresses he delivers the songs pre-chorus and chorus a couple of times, but it’s when he moves into the final rungs of the track where he receives his biggest cheer and audience reaction of the evening as he attacks the system and how the part of the world that he comes from is largely forgotten about by those in charge because they know they’re unlikely to get votes from that region of the world. Again, although his performance tonight is largely to a crowd with potentially different experiences, the sentiment is largely agreed by the vast majority of the audience.

“Whey, haven’t you got nowt better to do
Cause we’ve seen how nobody gets out alive

Honestly, it’s fucking grim around here
You get forgotten about and you just get pushed aside
Those tory cunts know they’re never going to be getting your vote
So they might occasionally toss you a breadcrumb
Just to keep you alive
But when the wolf is at your door
Just like the rest of us
You can barely survive
Yeah, just like the fucking rest of us
You can barely survive

Whey, haven’t you got nowt better to do
Cause we’ve seen how nobody gets out alive”

SETLIST;

“The Needle and the Damage Done” (Neil Young Cover)
“Lost in the Supermarket” (The Clash Cover)
“Lowlife” (Original Song)
thanks 3 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
2001clay on 10/10/2023(UTC), Head South Records on 10/10/2023(UTC), erich hess on 10/10/2023(UTC)
#4 Posted : 13 October 2023 21:55:54(UTC)
Head South Records

The stage at the Head South Café was alive with a pulsating energy. The crowd, a sea of eager faces, leaned in, their eyes fixed on Jack Dunn, striding confidently towards the microphone.

Quentin McEwen, the Head of Scouting, perched at a corner table, his eyes twinkling with a mix of wisdom and mischief. He raised his pint of lager in silent salute, a knowing smile gracing his lips.

q

Jack's voice cut through the chatter, commanding the room's attention. "Now, they said I’m only supposed to perform one original song as part of the audition. But it’s a bit of a piss take for you to all come down here at short notice just for one song." The crowd roared in agreement. "And well, I’ve never really been one for rules. Even if it means fucking up this one shot at a record deal with this label. But fuck it, they never said anything about cover songs. Are you lads and lasses ready to fucking go!" Quentin turned to his colleagues, an air of bafflement cloaking his usually composed demeanor. "Does anyone else know about this 'one song' rule?" he inquired, his voice dripping with a touch of incredulity.

The scouts exchanged puzzled glances, each shaking their heads in tandem. It seemed this peculiar stipulation had eluded even their eagle-eyed attention. A ripple of bemusement spread through the group, the Head of Scouting's bemused expression mirrored on the faces of his confounded compatriots. With a theatrical flourish, Quentin raised his glass once more, a glint of mischief dancing in his eye. "Oh anyway... fuck the rules, that's the essence of rock n'roll" he declared, his voice carrying a weight of authority that belied the playful twinkle in his eye.

With that, the first chords reverberated, filling the room with a raw sound. Jack Dunn started with Neil Young's "The Needle and the Damage Done" with a fervor that practically crackled in the air. His rendition was a visceral onslaught of sound, a fierce reimagining of a classic. The crowd, could hardly contain their enthusiasm.

But Quentin MacEwen, ever the discerning critic, watched with a furrowed brow. When the first notes echoed, he turned to his colleagues with a wry twist of his lips. "Oh, Neil Young... Bad point for him," he mused, his tone measured and cool.

"Come on, Q! You can't shit on Neil Young, it's fuckin' Classic!" Dave interjected, a note of protest in his voice. The reverence for the legendary artist was evident in his defense.

"Pure classic shit, in my humble opinion, Dave... but the kid is great," Quentin replied, his words laced with a hint of grudging admiration. It was a compliment to Jack's undeniable talent, even if the choice of cover had raised an eyebrow or two. The debate raged on, each member of the scouting team offering their own take on Neil Young. Bruce, another colleague chimed in, praising Young's timeless ballad, "Heart of Gold."

"Ah, 'Heart of Gold,'" Quentin sighed, a sly smile playing at the corners of his lips. "That ranks five on my top five list of the most annoying songs ever... right after four by Adele... oh, and by the way, I hate harmonica." Dave, undeterred, leaned forward with a glint of mischief in his eye. "What about 'Harvest Moon'?" he proposed, a touch of mischief in his tone. Quentin, however, was nearing the limits of his patience. He cast a pointed glance at Dave, a subtle plea for the conversation to veer back towards the night's main attraction. "Ok, are we here for Jack Dunn? Or this f... Neil Young?" he sighed, a hint of exasperation creeping into his voice. "

Jack Dunn, approached the microphone, his hands gently grazing its metallic surface. "Fuckin’ hell, it’s canny warm in here like," he remarked, a grin playing on his lips as he surveyed the animated crowd. "How you lot doing? Are you’s having fun, so far?"

g

The room erupted into cheers and applause, the fervor of the audience matched only by the fire in Jack's eyes. At the scout table, Dave couldn't contain his enthusiasm. He surged upward, standing atop his chair like a zealot on a pulpit, and bellowed, "YEAAAAAH! Everybody loves Neil Young!!!" His declaration reverberated through the room. Meanwhile, Quentin's head bowed into his hands, his shoulders shaking with silent laughter. He whispered to himself, "Dave .... you're embarrassing yourself..." The contrast between the unbridled fervor of Dave and Quentin's composed restraint was a real comedy scene.

On the stage, Jack Dunn announced a second song.
Quentin's usually composed demeanor seemed frayed at the edges. He couldn't contain himself any longer. "Okay, the one song rule is officially dead now," he declared, his voice edged with a hint of exasperation.

Bruce (another member of the Scouting team), ever the voice of reason, shook his head vehemently. "There's no such rule!!!" he protested, adamant in his disbelief. "Who knows!?!?" Quentin retorted, his patience wearing thin. Then, a spark of recognition flickered in Quentin's eyes. "What did he say? The Clash? Wooooh! The Clash!!!" he exclaimed, his voice rising with excitement. The sheer mention of the legendary band seemed to reignite a dormant fire within him.

c

In a swift, theatrical motion, Quentin rose from his seat, standing tall. He cheered for Jack Dunn with unbridled enthusiasm, his exuberance infectious. His colleagues watched with amusement, their own smiles mirroring the uncontainable zeal of the Head of Scouting. It was a pure moment of joy, and rebellion shared with the audience.

As the song drew to a close, Quentin settled back into his seat, a wistful smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "Reminds me of my childhood," he mused, his eyes distant with memories of a time when rebellion reigned over his teenage years. Bruce, never one to miss an opportunity for a jest, couldn't resist needling Quentin. "Have you ever been punk, Q? How old were you in 1979? 40 years old?" he teased, a playful glint in his eye. A shadow passed over Quentin's features, a hint of mock-offense. He shot Bruce a dark glance, the edge of his mouth quirking in a wry smile. It was a familiar dance, this banter between colleagues, a camaraderie built on years of shared passion for music. "Fuck off, Bruce...".

b

An obvious consensus settled over the scouting team. There was no denying Jack Dunn's magnetic presence, his raw talent and boundless energy. It was unanimous: the label would be wise to sign this young artist. They also found common ground in their assessment of the impromptu rebellion against the potential "one song rule." It was quintessentially Clash-like, an audacious act that resonated with the spirit of punk rock. The shared opinion was that Jack Dunn was the kind of artist who can definitely defy convention.

Jack Dunn, sweat-drenched and fueled by the energy of the moment, took a moment to catch his breath. The cacophony of applause gradually subsided, leaving a charged silence in its wake. He leaned into the microphone, his voice steady and unassuming.

"This is an original song," he announced, his words carrying a quiet confidence. "It’s called 'Lowlife.' Let’s go!" The anticipation in the room surged like a wave, a palpable electricity that pulsed through the scouting team. They leaned forward, their eyes fixed on the stage, eager to witness the unveiling of Jack's own creation. This was the moment they had been waiting for, the true test of his talent and potential.

As the first chords of "Lowlife" reverberated through the venue, the crowd swayed subtly to the music, allowing themselves to be swept away by the emotional currents of the song. The scouting team listened intently, their expressions a mix of concentration and appreciation. They recognized that in this song, Jack Dunn had bared a piece of himself, laying his vulnerabilities and truths bare for all to see. Despite the miles that stretched between the venue and Jack's hometown, there was a universality to the song's message. Its sentiments seemed to transcend geographic boundaries, touching the hearts of those in the South of the country just as profoundly. They were drawn into the vivid imagery that Jack painted with his words, finding echoes of their own experiences. It was a powerful moment, and Quentin, Bruce and Dave distinguished the potential that pulsed within him.

The scouting team exchanged knowing glances. It was clear that Jack Dunn was a rare find, a diamond in the rough, and the Head South label would be fortunate to have him as part of their roster.

But it was in the final crescendo of the track that Jack truly seized the moment. His words were a defiant roar against a system that had forsaken his corner of the world. He laid bare the injustices, the neglect, and the systemic failures that had long plagued his community. The cheers and applause that erupted were a thunderous declaration of solidarity. It didn't matter that many in the audience might come from different backgrounds and experiences. The sentiment, the underlying frustration at a system that too often overlooked the voices of the marginalized, struck a resonant chord with them all.

Quentin, Dave, and Bruce couldn't help themselves; they stood on their seats, swept up in the fervor of the moment. The crowd's collective plea rang out: "Sign him! Sign him!". The three scouts exchanged a few knowing glances, their shared enthusiasm unspoken but palpable. Quentin's voice cut through the din, his conviction unwavering. "He's good! We should get him," he declared, a hint of excitement tingling in his words. "Absolutely," Dave affirmed, his eyes alight with the same fervor. They were in unanimous agreement.

After the show, Quentin made his way to the stage, the crowd parting to make way for him. There was a palpable tension and anticipation in the air. On one side, there were those who watched from a distance, trying to discern the outcome of this pivotal moment. On the other, a crowd had already made a beeline for the bar.

Quentin ascended the stage with a dignified stride, his presence commanding the attention of everyone in the room. He approached Jack with a warm smile, extending his hand in greeting. "Good job, son. I'm Quentin, Head of the Scouting Department," he introduced himself, his voice carrying a reassuring warmth.

He could sense the weight of the moment on Jack's shoulders, the anticipation that hung in the air. Quentin sought to put him at ease, to let him know that this was a moment of celebration, not just for Jack, but for Head South as well. "I wanted to let you know that our legal department has confirmed that there was no 'one song rule'," he reassured, his words carrying the weight of official confirmation.

q

As Jack absorbed this news, Quentin continued, his tone filled with genuine admiration. "I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. The punk energy, the stage presence, the anger... especially the anger palpable in your own composition....your authenticity. It's something special, something that resonated deeply with everyone here tonight."

Quentin's next words carried a weight of significance, a proclamation that held the potential to alter the course of Jack's career. "I would be delighted to offer you a contract, Jack. Head South would be proud to stand by your side throughout your career. We believe in your talent, in the fire that burns within you. "

In that moment, Jack Dunn from North East England, stood at the edge of a new chapter in his musical journey. And Quentin, with his eccentric attire and discerning eye, was poised to welcome him into the fold of Head South.

Edited by user 30 October 2023 02:24:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Our Roster :
thanks 2 users thanked Head South Records for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 14/10/2023(UTC), erich hess on 13/12/2023(UTC)
#5 Posted : 12 December 2023 16:21:07(UTC)
Head South Records

y
Our Roster :
erich hess on 14/12/2023(UTC), C4AJoh on 05/01/2024(UTC)
#6 Posted : 14 December 2023 07:17:05(UTC)
Head South Records

Again, the Head South Café stage was crowded that friday, as the spotlight focused on Dany Sheen, an English "troubadour" from Yorkshire. The crowd was excited with the promise of a buzzing, emerging talent, and tonight, Dany was set to unveil one of his songs to the discerning ears of Head South label scouts.

Dany, with an acoustic guitar in hand, confidently took center stage and addressed the crowd, his voice laced with gratitude. "Hi, my name is Dany Sheen, and I can't believe I'm here, in front of the coolest audience ever." The crowd erupted in cheers, a wave of enthusiasm washing over the venue. Meanwhile, at the label scouts' table, Quentin McEwen, the Head of Scouting, couldn't help but squirm in his eccentric English style.

h

Quentin leaned over to his colleagues with a disapproving frown. "I hate when artists use superlatives," he muttered to Dave and Bruce, his trusty sidekicks, as they sipped pints of lager. They both nodded in approval.

As Dany continued to engage the audience, he revealed the origins of his composition. "I composed this one when I was singing in the streets... maybe you heard it on YouTube?" The mention of self-promotion on the stage seemed to rub Quentin the wrong way. He leaned back, a look of disbelief etched across his face. "And before I continue, don't forget to smash that like button and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more exclusive content!"

Quentin: (muttering to his colleagues) "Good heavens, what sacrilege is this? A musical performance turned into a shameless plug for a YouTube channel! Such an absurdity."

Bruce: (raising an eyebrow) "Seems like everyone's a marketer these days, even on the stage."

Quentin: "The stage is sacred ground, not a marketplace for self-promotion. It's as if Mozart paused during a concerto to hand out business cards for his piano lessons. Utterly crass."

The crowd seemed unfazed, captivated by Dany and his song, blissfully unaware of the brewing storm at the label scouts' table. His fingers skillfuly danced on the strings. However, Quentin's fixation on the artist intensified, overshadowing the brilliance of Dany's guitar technique.

As the enchanting melody filled the air, Bruce leaned in, observing Quentin's scowl. "I know this look," Bruce remarked, a hint of concern in his voice. Quentin, caught off guard, replied, "What? Which look?" Bruce, with a knowing smile, said, "You don't like him, do you?"

The trio at the scouts' table engaged in a subtle exchange. Dave, nonchalantly finishing his pint, cut to the chase. "It's because of YouTube, innit?" Quentin replied: "Ah, dear Dave, I'm not entirely oblivious to the digital Era and all this...cybernetic cacophony .... it seems every sprightly minstrels employ it in their grand quest for notoriety!"

Dave, feigning surprise, chuckled, "Ah, ok... it's just... I wasn't sure you knew what YouTube was." Bruce joked : " it's a bit like youporn, Q.... but without porn and many tutorials....".

Quentin: "You....what?"

Then, Quentin, unyielding in his disapproval, labeled Dany as arrogant. Dave argued for authenticity, emphasizing Dany's solitary presence on stage with his guitar. "That's bullshit!!!" Quentin retorted, claiming that arrogance hid behind Dany's facade of authenticity. The conversation took a turn when Dave brought up Jack Dunn, another lone guitarist. Quentin, already on edge, exploded, highlighting the perceived difference between Jack's rage-fueled artistry and what he deemed as Dany's self-promotion.

Bruce attempted to calm the storm, reminding Quentin of his role as the head of the Scouting Department. Tensions escalated as Dany crooned, "You and meeeee dancing in the daaaark." Quentin, unable to contain himself any longer, stood up violently, causing Bruce's pint to topple. In a fit of rage, he bellowed, "Get off!!! You're insulting music!!!!" Dany, still onstage, couldn't identify the source of the outburst but pressed on until the end of his song.

Bruce, apologetically, declared that he would personally inform Dany that the label had no interest in signing him. Quentin, determined to make his point, insisted on confronting Dany himself. Dave and Bruce, concerned about Quentin's volatile demeanor, reluctantly allowed him to approach the stage, urging him to remain composed.

Quentin, strided onto the stage as Dany was concluding his performance.

Quentin: (With a dramatic tone) Ah, Dany Sheen, you're a maestro, I must admit. (Pauses and adjusts his bowtie) However, my dear lad, I'm afraid Head South won't find room for your particular talent.

h

Dany: (Looking puzzled) What do you mean?

Quentin: (Waving a hand theatrically) Oh, my boy, it's not about your nimble fingers on those frets, or the lyrical poetry you've spun. No, no, no. It's the essence, the aura, the elusive melody that dances in the air.

Dany: (Baffled) I thought you enjoyed the performance.

Quentin: (With a wistful sigh) Enjoyed, indeed. But, you see, Head South seeks a different dance partner. A tango with rebellion, a waltz with authenticity, and your serenade, while charming, sways to a different rhythm.

Dany: (In disbelief) You can't be serious.

Quentin: (Dramatically placing a hand on his heart) Dead serious, my dear Dany. The label, you see, is like a demanding lover, and tonight, our hearts did not syncopate.

a

Dany: (Frowning) What's wrong with my music?

Quentin: (Pacing with flair) Nothing, my dear chap, nothing at all. But Head South craves the tempest, the thunderstorm that rattles the windows and leaves you breathless. Your melody, while a gentle rain, doesn't stir the soul in quite the desired manner.

Dany: (Deflated) So, that's it then?

Quentin: (Bowing dramatically) Alas, the final curtain descends. Fear not, Dany Sheen, for the world is vast, and there are stages yet to conquer. Your ballad may find its symphony elsewhere...

Quentin exits the stage, leaving Dany standing alone, grappling with the crescendo of disappointment that echoes through the Head South Café.

Edited by user 14 December 2023 17:02:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Our Roster :
#7 Posted : 14 December 2023 08:32:27(UTC)
Head South Records

It was now Oona Clarke's turn, a local girl whose name was completely unknown to the audience.

As Oona stepped onto the stage with her electric guitar, accompanied by a beatbox, a bass player, and a synthesizer player, there was an air of mystery surrounding her. With a calm and focused expression on her face, She seemed impervious to the cheers and screams echoing from the audience. The scouts leaned in, their eyes carefully scrutinizing the preparations.

"Hey everyone, my name is Oona Clarke, and we're very happy to be here" she announced with a shy smile. The crowd responded with a mix of cheers and curiosity. "This song is called 'Stagnate', Oona continued, setting the stage for what would become a moment of musical revelation. Oona Clarke started her song with an emotionless voice and madsive bass line that set the structure of the song.

y

Stagnate
Don't go far
Stagnate
Don't navigate
In unknown waters

With a deadpan melody built on a simple, insistent bass groove and a basic electronic drum tempo, punctuated by chunky blasts of fuzzed-out keyboard, and notes of guitar to emphasize the lyrics. Oona's performance unfolded. Her sound bore traces of post-punk and cold wave, creating a unique hypnotic sound that captivated the audience and scouts alike.

The scouts, accustomed to the cacophony of aspiring artists, found themselves amazed by the refreshing minimalism of Oona's song. Her voice cut through the air, distinctive and laden with a certain magnetic charm that held everyone in rapt attention. The song was about a curious apology to immobilism and lazyness.

Thinking of the future
Took the best of me
Stagnate makes me feel great
Stagnate makes me feel awake
Stagnate makes me feel great
Stagnate makes me feel awake....

As the final notes of "Stagnate" resonated through the venue, the crowd erupted in cheers, a tangible appreciation for the unassuming talent that had just graced the stage. After the show, Quentin, joined Oona for a beer, with a twinkle in his eye.

h

Quentin: (with a flourish) "Well, Oona, my dear, that performance was nothing short of a musical revelation! Absolutely splendid, I must say."

Oona, still catching her breath, managed a grateful smile.

Oona: "Thank you so much! I'm thrilled you enjoyed it."

"Where do you come from?" he inquired in his quintessentially English manner. Oona, embodying the spirit of her hometown, replied with a simple, "Brighton."

Quentin: (leaning in, conspiratorially) "Now, my dear, forgive me for being a tad nosy, but I can't help but wonder : what occupies your days when you're not gracing us with your musical prowess?"

Oona: (laughs) "Oh, well, it's not very glamorous, I'm afraid. I work in a call center."

Quentin, with a dramatic gasp, clutched his chest in mock horror.

Quentin: "A call center, you say? My, my, the contrast is positively Shakespearean! Tell me, how does an artist of your caliber find solace in the realms of telephonic communication?"

Oona: (smirking) "Well....it pays the bills, and you never know when a mundane call might inspire the next song."

Quentin: (raising an eyebrow) "Ah, the muse lurking in the mundane, a poetic notion indeed! But my dear, your destiny lies far beyond the humdrum of customer service. Brighton's own hidden gem, working amidst the ringing phones. How utterly charming!"

Oona chuckled at Quentin's theatrics, appreciating the whimsical charm of the man who seemed to understand that creativity could sprout from the most unexpected places.

Quentin: "Fear not, Oona, for the Head South label sees the extraordinary in the ordinary. Your musical journey is about to take a most thrilling turn!"

And with that, Quentin offered a theatrical bow before sauntering off, leaving Oona both amused and intrigued by the enigmatic world that awaited her.

In that moment, Oona Clarke became more than just a local girl with a guitar. As the Head South label scouts exchanged knowing glances, it was clear that that the journey of Oona Clarke had only just begun.

Edited by user 10 April 2024 20:12:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Our Roster :
Offline erich hess  
#8 Posted : 14 December 2023 21:23:36(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17919 time(s) in 10412 post(s)
Erica: um...are we breaking the fourth wall? I'm not sure if these were televised.

Nina:no clue,love . In any case,maybe it'll be found charming.

Erica:*nods* right. Anyway,i love that Quentin guy. He's so...... British. Like. You just know he drives an old Jaguar and calls it a "motor car".

Nina: and you can't even bag on him for it, because somehow he pulls it off.

Chloe: but...you drive an old Jaguar,Nina.

Nina: shut.the.fuck.up,,chloe. I drive it ironically.

Erica: shoo. You can't break the fourth wall with us.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
#9 Posted : 14 December 2023 22:37:52(UTC)
Head South Records

@ChapQMacEwen : damn....how does that work?? 🥸

@ChapQMacEwen : sorry, I used the wrong "emote"....or whatever it is called

@Head_South_Official : @Erica @Nina @Chloe of course, best auditions can be viewed online. 🤟😎

@ChapQMacEwen : yeah, I wanted to use this one : " 🤔 "

@ChapQMacEwen: Nina, Chloe, Erica...are you the real Harlots? I love your music 👍

@ChapQMacEwen : Ah, the rumors are spreading faster than my Jaguar's top speed! Perhaps I should invite you for a stylish ride through the whimsical lanes of wit and charm. 🎩🚗 #DandyDriver

(Out of RP: of course everyone is free to participate to auditions. You can also comment them as if it was online, or as if you were in the crowd 😎🤟)

Edited by user 15 December 2023 01:37:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Our Roster :
erich hess on 16/12/2023(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#10 Posted : 19 December 2023 22:21:53(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17919 time(s) in 10412 post(s)
Erica: how do we do fourth wall breaks? It's super easy. With the march towards more and more deregulation these walls are barely able to handle a strong fart.

Nina: just gotta believe in yourself,love. Stiff upper lip and all that.

Erica: fucking feel for you guys though. We held auditions for a new bassist and it was awful. I hate rejecting people..but wow.

Lydia:*shrugs* I think most people just assumed that the harlots don't really do much and sort of coast by on name recognition alone.

Erica:*narrows eyes at Lydia* you're still the new girl, tread carefully.

Nina: right, Quentin old bean. I'd totally challenge you to a race,I've got an old 70s xj but...... jaguar races are one of the most unpunk things ever.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
Head South Records on 20/12/2023(UTC)
#11 Posted : 20 December 2023 06:53:27(UTC)
Head South Records

@ChapQMacEwen :Lydia, Lydia, my skeptic in silk! Fear not, for I believe the Harlots are like fine champagne – bubbling with creativity. 🍾🎼

@ChapQMacEwen : Dear Nina, A Jaguar race is almost too ordinary for our extraordinary tastes. How about a Cane Choregraphy Challenge? The grand prize? The prestigious title of 'Cane Conductor Extraordinaire!' 🎩💃

@Bruce_TheMan19 : Q, are you sober?

@Solid_Dave: Are you OK, Quentin?
Our Roster :
erich hess on 20/12/2023(UTC)
#12 Posted : 10 April 2024 16:32:30(UTC)
Head South Records

u
Our Roster :
AmyJayneXoX on 10/04/2024(UTC), erich hess on 10/04/2024(UTC)