logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2013 00:02:27(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8551 time(s) in 2683 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: “Golden Hearts Shine Forever”
Artist: Alex Simms
Release Date: April 21, 2013
Length: 4:21
Format: CD Single, Digital Download, 7” Single, Weekly Airplay
Recorded: April 2013, Orlando, Florida
Genre: Pop-punk, Post-hardcore
Label: Songs To Love And Die By
Written: February 2013
Writer(s): Alex Simms
Producer(s): Alex Simms, Amy Meyer

“Golden Hearts Shine Forever” is a song that was written and recorded by American post-hardcore/pop-punk musician ‘Alex Simms’, it marks the relatively unknown musicians first foray into the music industry following a couple of years of attempting to break into the industry and upon release the track will serve as the debut single from the New York based musician and it will also serve as the leading single from his as-yet-untitled debut album which he is currently writing and recording in his hometown of Orlando, Florida and the record is expected to be released at some point in 2013 following his recent signing to the independent New York based record label ‘Songs to Love and Die By’ founded by Riot! In The Boulevard lead singer ‘Amy Meyer’.

The four minute long guitar and drums driven track was written back in February 2013 by Alex Simms and it quickly became the centre-piece of his live performances, it was the track which the musician opted to start ending his performances on, the reason for this according to Alex was this; “To me, it’s a song with a simple but important message. It’s about individuality and empowerment I guess. You know? It’s about not letting anybody judge you or try to take you down because of the way that you are or because of the things that you do. It happens a lot with people that I’ve became friends with over the years, they have their individuality and uniqueness and it’s the essence of what makes them who they are and somewhere along the line that can get taken away from these sorts of people, I’ve seen it happen so often, people are too quick to try to change the things that they don’t like about another person and it shouldn’t happen.
So yeah, the song is about being an individual and following your own path and not getting swayed to become someone that you’re not. It’s kind of a message to sorta remind people to just embrace the weirdness. The world would be pretty boring if these sorts of people didn’t exist and long may they exist.”

The song was recorded primarily by Alex Simms with additional instrumentation from two Orlando based session musicians ‘Frankie Fallon’ and ‘Josh Kingston’, the track was produced by both Alex Simms and Riot! frontwoman and label owner ‘Amy Meyer’ at a recording studio in Orlando, Florida in early April only a couple of days after officially signing his first record deal. The track is four minutes and twenty-one seconds in length and it will be made available to purchase as a CD Single, Digital Download and 7” Single and will be made available to listen to on Airplay, Soundcloud and Spotify as well as a lyric video being made available on Youtube via the official ‘Songs to Love’ youtube page. The single will be officially released on April 21, 2013 through ‘Songs to Love and Die By’.

BACKGROUND

‘Golden Hearts Shine Forever’ was written in February this year by Alex during a turbulent week. At this time he was still performing in small clubs in and around New York City and the session work that he had previously been doing had started to dry up in the previous months which meant that things were proving difficult for Alex financially which led to him crashing on the floor of a friend’s apartment called Amelia, for the first few months of 2013, that friend was the inspiration for the song as Alex saw first-hand the destructive nature that judgement from others can have on a person’s life, during live performances Alex has publicly dedicated the song to the person in question called ‘Amelia’ and the cover art for the single was designed by ‘Amelia’.
Alex recently spoke about the reasons for her being the inspiration behind the song, “I had known her for a few years now and she always managed to maintain her happiness even in her toughest moments. But she went through a difficult time, where the happiness went completely and there was no joy in her eyes, it was a drastic change to how she had always appeared to be and it was clear that the negative shots from people who once claimed to be friends had just dragged her down to a point of almost no return. We all have that limit, where we’ve taken enough trouble and sadness that we get to the point where we feel like we can’t continue or don’t want to continue and she was at that point. I found her on her bedroom floor with cuts to her wrist and barely conscious, she made it and that evening in the waiting room of the hospital I began writing the lyrics to what would become this song.”

The song begins rather forcefully as a strong drum beat is the first instrument heard and is quickly followed by a rather loud and powerful guitar riff that signals the intention of the song, this combination continues throughout the song but at around the eleven second mark the opening vocal arrives, it’s sung loud and clear but with a tender tone initially as Alex shows off the differing vocal ranges. It’s a delivered in a beautiful and mellow vocal as he sings “I once knew a girl who had a heart too big for this world/A heart that money just can’t buy/They tried to take it from her.” and then follows that up with a powerful high pitched rock scream “They tried to take it from her!/They tried to rip it from her inside.” before returning once more to the softer and more solemn vocal as he set the emotional scene of the song “And she cried and cried in her room after every heartbreak/After every guy that said it would be different/That said it wouldn’t be like the last time/It’s a heartless crime/And this is what I told her.” And the musical backdrop of the opening verse remains the same, the heavy pounding of the drums are matched with a driving guitar riff as the song leads its way into the second verse and the main point of the song that changes the pace and quickly turns the second into an almost anthemic track.

The bass guitar arrives into the song just in time for the powerful second verse in order to add a little something extra into the instrumentation and it combines with the heavy drums and lead guitar sound of the opening verse with seamless ease and comfort, making the song even more powerful. However it’s both the lyrical theme and the vocal delivery of the second verse that changes the overall tone of the song from tender and emotional to something more powerful and with a little more attitude, showing the differing styles of Alex’s music and evidently his vocals once more as the second verse is sung loud and powerfully, again using his high-pitched tones but combining it with sheer force and power as he almost screams out the lyrics that highlight the song “F*ck em’ they don’t know you/And they don’t deserve to/F*ck em’ they don’t know/They don’t know the real you.” and as the guitar becomes increasingly dominant in this verse the entire music stops dead instantly as it’s just Alex’s voice than can be heard as he bellows out the following lyrics, “I’m not the only one, cause if they could see your heart/They’d be f*cking smiling too!”

The lead guitar riff comes back into play instantly after the second verse and is then followed by the drums and bass guitar to continue on from what has already gone before but it’s back to the tender and emotional lyrical theme of the opening verse as Alex sings about the young girl in the song and the demons and sadness that she faces, he delivers the lines once more like the opening to the song, in a soft and tender delivery as the lyrics call for “She rests alone in bed/Where she overthinks her greatest fears/She places the pillow over her head/Presses it hard against her ears/Just hoping that her thoughts will go away/Like the ringing sounds that she hears every day/And nobody will ever know if she cries/They could just ask how she’s doing/But no one even tries.” and as Alex stops singing briefly, the guitar and bass instrumentation fades into the background for a number of seconds as a powerful and repetitive drum beat adds tension and build-up in the second and awaits the bass and lead guitars arrivals which then signals Alex’s arrival back into the song as the music has now moved back into full focus and Alex sings “Well don’t you know that her heart shines bright/Trading the darkness for infinite sunlight/Everybody should follow her and do this together/Because golden hearts shine forever/Blinding you with beauty and love/It’s a heart that belongs with the angels above”

The lead guitar continues into the next verse as the main focus point of the instrumental backdrop of the song, the chords are changed slightly and it gives the instrument a more melodic sound that hits the ears a little more easily than in the previous verses of the song, the drums can be heard in the background but are less elemental to this verse and the combination of lead guitar and the vocal from Alex are the high point of the verse as Alex once again sings with a tinge of sadness and emotion “But they all try to mess her around/They all try to drag her down/I’m in dismay and this is what I’ll say.” before the guitar becomes louder and the drums also follow in a similar vein as Alex raises his voice once more as he screams out in a high pitched rock wail once again “F*ck em’ they don’t know you/And they don’t deserve to/F*ck em’ they don’t know/They don’t know the real you/I’m not the only one, cause if they could see your heart/They’d be f*cking smiling too.”
And for the final verse of the song, all of the instruments become softer and merely just fading background noise as Alex’s vocals are sung almost acapella, showing off the tenderness that he can put into vocal delivery as he sings, “ Don’t you know that her heart shines bright/Trading the darkness for infinite sunlight/Don’t you know that her heart shines bright/Trading the darkness for infinite sunlight/And she’ll make everybody hold hands together/Because golden hearts shine forever/Blinding you with beauty and love/It’s a heart that belongs to the angels above” and the final vocal echoes before fading out slowly.

LYRICS

“I once knew a girl who had a heart too big for this world
A heart that money just can’t buy
They tried to take it from her
They tried to take it from her!
They tried to rip it from her inside

And she cried and cried in her room after every heartbreak
After every guy that said it would be different
That said it wouldn’t be like the last time
It’s a heartless crime
And this is what I told her

F*ck em’ they don’t know you
And they don’t deserve to
F*ck em’ they don’t know
They don’t know the real you
I’m not the only one, cause if they could see your heart
They’d be f*cking smiling too

She rests alone in bed
Where she overthinks her greatest fears
She places the pillow over her head
Presses it hard against her ears
Just hoping that her thoughts will go away
Like the ringing sounds that she hears every day
And nobody will ever know if she cries
They could just ask how she’s doing
But no one even tries

Well don’t you know that her heart shines bright
Trading the darkness for infinite sunlight
Everybody should follow suit and do this together
Because golden hearts shine forever
Blinding you with beauty and love
It’s a heart that belongs with the angels above

But they all try to mess her around
They all try to drag her down
I’m in dismay and this is what I’ll say
F*ck em’ they don’t know you
And they don’t deserve to
F*ck em’ they don’t know
They don’t know the real you
I’m not the only one, cause if they could see your heart
They’d be f*cking smiling to

Don’t you know that her heart shines bright
Don’t you know that her heart shines bright
And she’ll make everybody hold hands together
Because golden hearts shine forever
Blinding you with beauty and love
It’s a heart that belongs to the angels above”

PERSONNEL
Alex Simms – lead vocals, lead guitar, lyrics, production
Frankie Fallon – bass guitar, backing vocals
Josh Kingston – drums, hand claps
Amy Meyer – production
Amelia Fontaine – cover art design

SOUNDS LIKE

Sleeping with Sirens – Who Are You Now?
thanks 11 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 22/04/2013(UTC), snap_itshannah on 22/04/2013(UTC), erich hess on 22/04/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 22/04/2013(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 22/04/2013(UTC), niggajones on 22/04/2013(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 22/04/2013(UTC), Mckenzie- on 22/04/2013(UTC), Andre Gandra on 23/04/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 23/04/2013(UTC), GirlSpice on 23/04/2013(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2013 00:11:22(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19124 time(s) in 7592 post(s)
Oscar: Amazing track, mate. Can't wait to see what else you have to offer!

ooc: Great work on this, really enjoyed reading it. Love how detailed it is :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 24/04/2013(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#3 Posted : 22 April 2013 00:17:12(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
OOC: Stellar work as always. Good stuff.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
Offline Famouss7x7  
#4 Posted : 22 April 2013 03:47:35(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
James: I think I've finally gotten a new favorite up and coming artist! This is fucking excellent man. Really cannot wait to see what else you've got in store. You've definitely got my attention...best of luck to you and your career. By the looks of things, you're going to go really far.

OOC: This is REALLY good work here! Amazing work on the RP as a whole including the background, description and especially the lyrics :))
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#5 Posted : 22 April 2013 04:33:36(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Honor: Yup it's me again, because I'm secretly stalking you on the internet, I love the song :) I can really relate to this and I'm totally not screaming out the chorus in my bedroom as I type this.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Offline Andre Gandra  
#6 Posted : 23 April 2013 03:22:11(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Julia: I guess spotlights are all for you from here. This song is very catchy yet dark, but it has what it takes to project you to stardom and I'm really looking for this debut album you're putting out soon.

OOC: Awesome Lyrics! as always.
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 1 user thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2013 04:12:40(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: Wow, I'm quite speechless! Well maybe not really lol. Such a strong debut you've made for yourself. You've really set the bar high you know? Anyway, I love the message of this song cause its so truthful and beautiful all at once. I'll tell you right now, this song will definitely be one of the most played songs on my iPod. :)

Ooc: Amazing job on the rp. I especially love the artwork, Its beautiful. :D
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
Offline C4AJoh  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2013 03:17:57(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Oscar: Amazing track, mate. Can't wait to see what else you have to offer!

ooc: Great work on this, really enjoyed reading it. Love how detailed it is :)

Alex: Thanks! I'm sure there will be a lot more to come from me over the next few months.

OOC: Thank you, I'm glad that you enjoyed it! :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 24 April 2013 03:19:46(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Stellar work as always. Good stuff.

OOC: Thanks, glad it was okay! :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#10 Posted : 24 April 2013 03:23:50(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
James: I think I've finally gotten a new favorite up and coming artist! This is fucking excellent man. Really cannot wait to see what else you've got in store. You've definitely got my attention...best of luck to you and your career. By the looks of things, you're going to go really far.

OOC: This is REALLY good work here! Amazing work on the RP as a whole including the background, description and especially the lyrics :))

Alex: Woah, thanks man, it's greatly appreciated! There'll definitely be a few more things from me before the summer truly starts. I'm glad that you enjoy the track and that I've managed to ignite some sort of interest from a musician like yourself, thanks again!

OOC: Wow, thanks! That's high praise, I don't feel worthy but thank you! :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#11 Posted : 24 April 2013 03:27:30(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Honor: Yup it's me again, because I'm secretly stalking you on the internet, I love the song :) I can really relate to this and I'm totally not screaming out the chorus in my bedroom as I type this.

Alex: Haha that's alright, feel free to stalk me as much as your heart desires! Thank you, it's good that you can relate to the song and I like the thought of people screaming out the chorus, that's what it was written for and I'm sure that would have been quite a sight to see!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 24/04/2013(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#12 Posted : 24 April 2013 03:30:30(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
Julia: I guess spotlights are all for you from here. This song is very catchy yet dark, but it has what it takes to project you to stardom and I'm really looking for this debut album you're putting out soon.

OOC: Awesome Lyrics! as always.

Alex: Thanks Julia, it's slightly overwhelming but I can't complain about it too much! Thank you, I think catchy and dark are like the ideal combination for a song haha I appreciate the support, hopefully I'll continue to impress

OOC: Thank you! glad you liked them :)

Offline C4AJoh  
#13 Posted : 24 April 2013 03:33:11(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Princess_Valentine Go to Quoted Post
Kourtney: Wow, I'm quite speechless! Well maybe not really lol. Such a strong debut you've made for yourself. You've really set the bar high you know? Anyway, I love the message of this song cause its so truthful and beautiful all at once. I'll tell you right now, this song will definitely be one of the most played songs on my iPod. :)

Ooc: Amazing job on the rp. I especially love the artwork, Its beautiful. :D

Alex: Well I don't really know you all that well but from what I do know of you I think it's safe to assume that you aren't ever speechless, you seem full of energy which is never a bad thing! I'm glad that you enjoy the song and the message and all of that stuff, it means a lot to me. Thanks again!

OOC: Wow thanks, I'm glad you liked it and the artwork too! :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
Princess_Valentine on 24/04/2013(UTC)