logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#1 Posted : 10 January 2014 11:39:35(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Released: January 14th, 2014
Format: CD, Digital Download
Recorded: November 15th - November 20th 2013
Capitol Studios, Los Angeles, California

Genre: Pop, Ambient, Minimal
Length: 4:25
Label: Studio60 Records
Writer(s): Isabel Merjos, Phil N., Sunny Monroe
Producer(s): Joel Little, Lucy Hill

~ Background + Description ~
Finally, the new single from pop sensation Isabel has arrived. After having such a successful year in music last year, Izzy is back to seek out a new chapter of her life and career. Following her third studio album, 'Dancing In The Dark' Izzy announced she would be releasing an EP in March of 2014. Not much was known about the songs on there until now. We finally get to hear some of the material. 'Do What You Do' is a single by pop singer Isabel. It was written by Isabel, Phil N. and Sunny Monroe, produced by Joel Little and Lucy Hill. The song will be released as the lead single for the extended play on January 14th, 2014. 'Do What You Do' is a minimal and ambient song with some hints of Pop in it. The song was written by Izzy and was cut from her last album, seemingly not fitting in with the rest of the tracks. The lyrics suggest the song is about growing apart from someone and being partly to blame for the reason of the split. She also references the attention she has gotten from the public for being 'innocent' and 'naive'.

The song was well received from critics, calling it one of Isabel's best songs lyrically and musically. 'Although there's no heavy pop influence in it or the synthesizers and dance beats we're used to from the singer, 'DWYD' is an ear grabber. It's the perfect way to jump back into the industry and re-establish herself as one of the top pop acts in music today. It's mature and definitely suitable for her. Hopefully, the EP will also reflect this.' - Derrick Hale (Billboard)

Starting off the song is an array of muffled 'ahh's' that instantly take over the listeners ears. The ambient opening leads into a building moment, the words become clearer, while the beat enters. Izzy's voice sounds almost broken and sad, singing with a low register as compared to her other singles. The midtempo tune is very simple which is also different from Izzy's past songs. The focus is more on the lyrics than the music which in turn actually enhances the quality. The song plays on Izzy's message of lonliness and growing apart. In the lyrics, she suggests that she has grown apart from the other person and feels she is partly to blame. She then goes into singing, 'Sticking to just what I know/It never got me far at all/I dreamt of bigger things for us/But landed on this lonely curse' which refers to her changing and growing as a person and potentially an artist. In the next verse, her tone doesn't seem to change at all but there's a sense of empowerment coming from her words now, the lonliness leaving her frail voice. In the background, you can hear the muffled 'ahh's' again as she suddenly belts out the bridge of the song. She sings, 'I'm in denial (I'm in denial)/Stuck on repeat (Stuck on repeat)' Izzy's attitude and demeanor in the song are definitely not expected of the 'cheery' and 'bubbly' personality we've all come to know. The looming beat plays as Izzy takes a rest from singing. You get a sense of despair in the track which is a heck of way to come back into the music industry after her last moody single, 'Hide And Seek'. Many speculate this is the continuing force to connect the two songs.

~ Songwriter Comments ~
"I feel like I've been waiting forever to release this song, it's been so hard keeping it a secret haha. But now, here it is. Do What You Do is very personal. Last year I had a crazy experience and it ended up costing me a very important friendship. I just thought this song was one to have on my EP because I'm getting it out and I'm not going to carry it with me on my album. Joel and Lucy produced this single and it's really different than my past singles in a great way. I got to play around with my lyrics a little and sort of walk that line of being safe and being revealing, which is what the entire EP does. I hope my fans enjoy this nice change from the dance songs I've done and hopefully this will be able to reach someone else out there."

~ Music Video Background ~
Isabel also announced a video will be released to coincide with the single. It will be directed by Joel Kefali and will feature Isabel in a short film. In the video, Izzy will play a young prostitute who stays with her abusive boyfriend, played by American actor, Shiloh Fernandez. It will premiere on January 25th, 2014 on VEVO on Izzy's personal channel.

~ Lyrics ~

[Verse 1]
We're not like how we used to be
You're standing in my wounds so deep
I lit the match to start the fire
Now we're both confused if I'm the liar

I never questioned your words
I trusted everything you said
But when it got tough, didn't want no more then you fled

Sticking to just what I know
It never got me far at all
I dreamt of bigger things for us
But landed on this lonely curse

Sticking to just what I know
It never got me far at all
I dreamt of bigger things for us
But landed on this lonely curse

[Verse 2]
We all will reap just what we sow
But there are things we couldn't know
You stare at me like I'm the enemy
But is it so crazy for me?

I never questioned your words
I trusted everything you said
But when it got tough, didn't want no more then you fled

I'm sick of people telling me
"Just be a good girl, you're way too sweet
You couldn't understand the world
Because you're just a sheltered girl"

I'm sick of people telling me
"Just be a good girl, you're way too sweet
You couldn't understand the world
Because you're just a sheltered girl"

I'm in denial (I'm in denial)
Stuck on repeat (Stuck on repeat)
But now it's time (But now it's time)
To think of me (To think of me)

Stuck on repeat (Stuck on repeat)
Thinking of you (Thinking of you)
I've been so cold for a long while (I'm in denial, I'm in denial)
I am!

If this is your wish come true (If this is your wish come true)
And if you've made up your own mind (And if you've made up your own mind)
Then I won't ever bother you (Then I won't ever bother you)
You go have fun and do what you do (You go have fun and do what you do)

If this is your wish come true (If this is your wish come true)
And if you've made up your own mind (And if you've made up your own mind)
Then I won't ever bother you (Then I won't ever bother you)
You go have fun and do what you do (You go have fun and do what you do)

Go have fun and do what you do

Sounds Like:
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 15 users thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
erich hess on 10/01/2014(UTC), kandii on 10/01/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 10/01/2014(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 10/01/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 10/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 10/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 10/01/2014(UTC), GirlSpice on 10/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 11/01/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 11/01/2014(UTC), BrownSugar on 11/01/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 11/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 11/01/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 11/01/2014(UTC), Walton on 12/01/2014(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2014 12:06:17(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17918 time(s) in 10412 post(s)
nina: go izzy! this is some great looking stuff,love. time to show these people you arent a little girl anymore...just no twerking,please,love.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 10/01/2014(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2014 12:54:46(UTC)
freestylechamp

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Kidd: I'm finding it hard to not like Isabel, nice, talented, cute, is there anything negative about this girl that we should know so we can think of her more human with mistakes and flaws like the rest of us

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2014 18:24:20(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
nina: go izzy! this is some great looking stuff,love. time to show these people you arent a little girl anymore...just no twerking,please,love.

Isabel: I swear, no twerking, haha. Thank you :)

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Kidd: I'm finding it hard to not like Isabel, nice, talented, cute, is there anything negative about this girl that we should know so we can think of her more human with mistakes and flaws like the rest of us

Isabel: Aww, I promise I am human :) Thank you so much! ❤️
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

Offline Famouss7x7  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2014 18:32:19(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Edward: You look so glam on the covering darling! Nice single you got here too! Its different from what we hear on the radio and coming from a pop princess? Love that you are pushing boundaries and growing up. Love it.

Mandy: Izzy, I love this! :')

OOC: Really like the lyrics. Awesome job :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2014 18:48:46(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
Edward: You look so glam on the covering darling! Nice single you got here too! Its different from what we hear on the radio and coming from a pop princess? Love that you are pushing boundaries and growing up. Love it.

Mandy: Izzy, I love this! :')

OOC: Really like the lyrics. Awesome job :)

Isabel: Thank you :) I'm hoping the change up is appreciated but if not it has definitley helped me as an artist regardless.

Yay, thanks Cookie :D

OOC: Thank you very much :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2014 20:50:38(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8537 time(s) in 2674 post(s)
Amy: This track is wonderful! It feels so far from what we're used to hearing from you, it's so beautiful and it's very melancholy, such an interesting change of pace for you and you're sort of just making the move into a more mature sound so seamlessly. Everything about the song is just beautiful, but those final words just completely hit me, 'Go have fun and do what you do'. Wowzers, so simple but so effective! :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
Offline GirlSpice  
#8 Posted : 10 January 2014 21:07:32(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Sophia: Wow babes! Isabel is getting super deep and I'm loving it! Yaaaay! It's super different for you Izzy, but different is good, right? Right! You totes showed a different side to you and pulled it off soooooo well! Go girl! Hehe! Am I a hipster for liking this? Hope so babes! Love it and love you! :D
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Offline Andre Gandra  
#9 Posted : 10 January 2014 21:48:44(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
mISTER_b: I think sometimes people might come to you as if you were a "naive and innocent" girl (as the song tells it) and this gives the allusion that you're a weak person. I don't think that way, I still think you're the sweetest girl in the world, like a soul sister to me, but you're definitely not a weak person and that sweetness is reflected in the melodies of this track, but also that hardness and strong determination is on its lyrics, so if you needed a song to prove people that you're not a naive girl, like some sort of glass doll, well you have it now. Amazing job!
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 1 user thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#10 Posted : 10 January 2014 22:24:02(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3949 time(s) in 1347 post(s)
Amy-Jayne: all hail queen Izzy, girl this song is definitely my new Jam absolutely love it already perfect for January :)

OOC - wonderful job Tequila really great lyrics here :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
Offline genocidal king  
#11 Posted : 10 January 2014 22:43:01(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Katie: Songs that come from experience always sound so much more powerful. I can really respect the hard time you must have gone through after hearing this. It's such a beautiful song though. It really has a feeling behind it, and your voice is sounding better than ever.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#12 Posted : 11 January 2014 01:21:12(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Amy: This track is wonderful! It feels so far from what we're used to hearing from you, it's so beautiful and it's very melancholy, such an interesting change of pace for you and you're sort of just making the move into a more mature sound so seamlessly. Everything about the song is just beautiful, but those final words just completely hit me, 'Go have fun and do what you do'. Wowzers, so simple but so effective! :)

Isabel: Aw thank you! :)

Originally Posted by: GirlSpice Go to Quoted Post
Sophia: Wow babes! Isabel is getting super deep and I'm loving it! Yaaaay! It's super different for you Izzy, but different is good, right? Right! You totes showed a different side to you and pulled it off soooooo well! Go girl! Hehe! Am I a hipster for liking this? Hope so babes! Love it and love you! :D

Isabel: Yay! Thank you Sophia, you're so sweet :) I don't know if you're a hipster but you're incredibly awesome :P Love you too!

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
mISTER_b: I think sometimes people might come to you as if you were a "naive and innocent" girl (as the song tells it) and this gives the allusion that you're a weak person. I don't think that way, I still think you're the sweetest girl in the world, like a soul sister to me, but you're definitely not a weak person and that sweetness is reflected in the melodies of this track, but also that hardness and strong determination is on its lyrics, so if you needed a song to prove people that you're not a naive girl, like some sort of glass doll, well you have it now. Amazing job!

Isabel: Haha, you're my soul brother, awww :) You're too sweet, thank you!

Originally Posted by: AmyJayneXoX Go to Quoted Post
Amy-Jayne: all hail queen Izzy, girl this song is definitely my new Jam absolutely love it already perfect for January :)

OOC - wonderful job Tequila really great lyrics here :)

Isabel: Thanks Amy! Oh Queen? Oh no, stop lol.

OOC: Thank you :)

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
Katie: Songs that come from experience always sound so much more powerful. I can really respect the hard time you must have gone through after hearing this. It's such a beautiful song though. It really has a feeling behind it, and your voice is sounding better than ever.

Isabel: Thank you Katie :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline mebeme101  
#13 Posted : 11 January 2014 05:56:45(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Alex: Not in any way what I expected at all but this is still so amazing I love how different it is from your other stuff or just how different it is in general you did an amazing job with this one Izzy the lyrics the sound everything is perfect

ooc: Great job on this friend :)
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 11/01/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#14 Posted : 11 January 2014 08:44:18(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Alex: Not in any way what I expected at all but this is still so amazing I love how different it is from your other stuff or just how different it is in general you did an amazing job with this one Izzy the lyrics the sound everything is perfect

ooc: Great job on this friend :)

Isabel: Yay, you like it :) Thanks Alex, I'm really happy! I'd hug you if you were here :P

OOC: Thanks buddy :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

User is suspended until 28/07/4752 18:55:55(UTC) Walton  
#15 Posted : 12 January 2014 09:52:17(UTC)
Walton

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1998 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
Sonyae: LOVE this song hunny! So different and unique. I'm glad you're back! Back with a bang mama! xoxo.

OOC: Great work! Glad Izzy's baaaack! Feels like it's been ages lol. :)
thanks 1 user thanked Walton for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 12/01/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#16 Posted : 12 January 2014 09:59:49(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Walton Go to Quoted Post
Sonyae: LOVE this song hunny! So different and unique. I'm glad you're back! Back with a bang mama! xoxo.

OOC: Great work! Glad Izzy's baaaack! Feels like it's been ages lol. :)

Isabel: Thank you Sonyae, feels great to be back although I don't feel like I really ever left, at least not completely :)

OOC: Thanks :) It has, I missed her lol.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Walton on 12/01/2014(UTC)