logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2014 13:53:41(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Released: August 14th, 2014
Format: Digital Download
Genre: Pop punk, Alternative rock
Length: 3:38
Label Permanent Reminder
Writer(s): Mia Clark, Jennifer Armstrong
Producer: Rob Cavallo
Single Cover Artwork: Courtney Smalls

Description
'One Of The Boys' is by British Rock duo Pretty Little Freaks. The song serves as the second official single from their upcoming second studio album by Permanent Reminder on August 14th, 2014. It features Pop/Rock and R&B singer Jennifer Armstrong who is also currently working on her third studio album. The song was written by Mia Clark and Jennifer Armstrong, and produced by Rob Cavallo, who has worked with bands such as Linkin park, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, and so on. The track has so far been well received within the music community, some calling it PLF's most 'gritty and angst filled track that the duo has done.' Known for their usually slow and laid back type tracks, it takes them into new yet seemingly familiar territory as they give vocal performances and storytelling that can be compared to some of the top notch rock bands of this time period.

Musically, the single is credited as an alternative rock song with some traces of Pop punk influences, with fast punk tempos, chord changes and loud guitars with pop-influenced melodies and a lyrical theme. Right off the bat, the track opens with a loud and brash guitar riff and rolls into the first verse where we hear Mia, the tougher twin of the duo who is known for speaking her mind at any cost. Even with the tough sounds, the girls waste no time with their spitfire lyrics and confident attitudes, which also passes off to Jennifer, who shines in her verse. Initially, it's just Jade who is singing the pre-chorus but then all three of them sing together after Jennifer's verse, ultimately having the 'girl power' which screams throughout the track.

Lyrically, the track refers to the girls not wanting to be the underdogs when it comes to rock music, and as the title suggests, they can be one of the boys without being seen as weak and fragile little girls. During an interview with PLF, Mia said the single was a must needed 'pick me up' for most ladies in rock music.

"For some reason, girls are usually outcast and not seen as much of a threat or musically talented to that of an all male rock band or a male led band. We were just like 'enough of that' it's a new era, a new age. There's been a lot of women fronted rock bands that have made impactful music and performances and we don't ever want to be seen as just some sexy objects. Yes, we're sexy, but hey, we also have this amazing band between us that can stand with the best of them. Jen's just one of the strongest voices, literally, of women in the industry and so it was fun recording and adding her on the record. We couldn't think of anyone else really, it was a match made deal."

When asked about the song's representation of sounds on their album, Jade chimed in to say, "There's definitely a lot more of these types of songs, you know, hard hitting and the kind that will probably shock that two seemingly little chicks are playing. The album will be filled with some fun and crazy tunes. It's truly my favorite album, out of our two."

Olive- Jade
Red - Mia
Magenta - Jennifer Armstrong
Black - Together

You never looked at me like somebody
All you saw were just skirts and legs
It's the same thing
Always the same thing
But I'd love to go another round
Why the anger? The cold shoulder
Closed doors won't stay shut this time
I'm not sorry for stepping on your toes
You don't like it? Well you better get in line

Stereotypical attitudes
Mixed with narcissistic brains
Try to keep us locked up
But we're breaking all your chains (Oh)
All your chains (Oh)
No more of your old chains
I can see why you're shaking
You're just too scared to admit
You thought we'd cower to your mistaken manhood (Hey)
Your manhood (Oh)
You thought wrong

And now all you sound like is a broken record
So I will change your tune
You'll find out soon
Just why I'm still around
Now all you sound like is a broken record
You'll find out soon

We can play just like one of the boys
We can hang just like one of the boys

And it's sad that your eyes will never open
Still stuck in your chauvinistic ways
I'm not frightened, or intimidated
I've seen this story and know how it plays
Instead of acceptance you're just crying
About how much the times have changed
You don't believe in God but you're praying
Hoping that one day I fade

Stereotypical attitudes
Mixed with narcissistic brains
Try to keep us locked up
But we're breaking all your chains (Oh)
All your chains (Oh)
No more of your old chains
I can see why you're shaking
You're just too scared to admit
You thought we'd cower to your mistaken manhood (Hey)
Your manhood (Oh)
You thought wrong

You'll find out soon
You'll find out soon

We can play just like one of the boys
We can hang just like one of the boys
F**k sh*t up just like one of the boys
We can be just like one of the boys

You'll find out soon
You'll find out soon

Sounds Like:
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 9 users thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 13/08/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 13/08/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 13/08/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 13/08/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 13/08/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 14/08/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 17/08/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 18/08/2014(UTC), criticsrule on 18/08/2014(UTC)
Offline Andre Gandra  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2014 22:24:15(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Julia: Wow, I like the attitude in this girls, really something I stood for! Some men just can't get enough of the shit they think and say about us, I'm gonna sing and dance to this just to make them weaker.
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 1 user thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 14/08/2014(UTC)
Offline mebeme101  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2014 22:33:53(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Alex: Absolutely love this song the lyrics are badass the sound is badass you're all badasses seriously my new favorite song great job girls
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 14/08/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2014 00:23:25(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
Julia: Wow, I like the attitude in this girls, really something I stood for! Some men just can't get enough of the shit they think and say about us, I'm gonna sing and dance to this just to make them weaker.

Mia: Thanks! Dance your ass off ;)

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Alex: Absolutely love this song the lyrics are badass the sound is badass you're all badasses seriously my new favorite song great job girls

Jade: Aw, we're glad we established that badass persona hehe.

Jennifer: Thanks girls! Hope you felt empowered :)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

Offline Famouss7x7  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2014 08:13:10(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
James: I love that you two ladies aren't attempting to be like any other artists out right now. Even though this is the male bashing song, I like the rock edge it has and all of you really sound pissed off. Sometimes a lady can be so sexy when she's so pissed off but this is not that type of topic for conversation, nice track here ladies.

Queen Alexis: Not a bad song at all but I think the song could do without Jennifer Armstrong. She sounds so out of place. I think the more pop influenced rock songs are better for her. This is too heavy in sound for her to really shine and she gets lost in the production and instruments. I don't know. She doesn't do it for me, guess she was asked to do this add some name value? Everyone wants you guys to win Pretty Little Freaks, I hope this is the one or it might be alil too late.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 17/08/2014(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 17 August 2014 20:07:07(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8571 time(s) in 2687 post(s)
Amy Meyer: This is a brilliant track, the message inside of the song is a great one, especially for your younger female fans! The empowerment and such is a good thing to inspire people with and hopefully this track is seen in such a way. Great work by you two girls and of course Jennifer who sounds killer as always! Great stuff! :)
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 18/08/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#7 Posted : 18 August 2014 08:07:56(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
James: I love that you two ladies aren't attempting to be like any other artists out right now. Even though this is the male bashing song, I like the rock edge it has and all of you really sound pissed off. Sometimes a lady can be so sexy when she's so pissed off but this is not that type of topic for conversation, nice track here ladies.

Queen Alexis: Not a bad song at all but I think the song could do without Jennifer Armstrong. She sounds so out of place. I think the more pop influenced rock songs are better for her. This is too heavy in sound for her to really shine and she gets lost in the production and instruments. I don't know. She doesn't do it for me, guess she was asked to do this add some name value? Everyone wants you guys to win Pretty Little Freaks, I hope this is the one or it might be alil too late.

Mia: Thanks, James. I don't think we know how to be anyone but ourselves and ha, thanks again. I guess I was really ticked when I wrote this and I agree, sometimes being angry is sexy ;) Thanks again.

@Alexis: Well we all thought she sounded perfect, the only other female with a strong enough voice to really shine on the track plus her voice is versatile and can fit with so many different styles. I don't think she gets lost in the production at all, actually. I'm not sure if you really listened to the song but she sounds fine, we all do.

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Amy Meyer: This is a brilliant track, the message inside of the song is a great one, especially for your younger female fans! The empowerment and such is a good thing to inspire people with and hopefully this track is seen in such a way. Great work by you two girls and of course Jennifer who sounds killer as always! Great stuff! :)

Jade: Thank you so much Amy, I can't tell you how much it means for you to have actually listened to one of our tracks :)

Jennifer: Thanks Amy!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline Princess_Valentine  
#8 Posted : 18 August 2014 12:32:14(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: Busting out all the moves for this one cause this is AHHHHHmazing! Great job girls. :)
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 18/08/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#9 Posted : 18 August 2014 22:31:32(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Princess_Valentine Go to Quoted Post
Kourtney: Busting out all the moves for this one cause this is AHHHHHmazing! Great job girls. :)

Jade: Thanks! :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage