logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline genocidal king  
#41 Posted : 26 February 2012 02:26:11(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Yup...and as a journalist, I can also tell you that an artist of Adele's stature will ALWAYS without exception have an approval of any photos she has printed as part of a feature like this. I guarantee that she has personally approved this photo.
UserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#42 Posted : 26 February 2012 02:28:28(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Even if she did, and saying that you're right. It's wrong for a woman to look a bit beautiful every once in a while?
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline genocidal king  
#43 Posted : 26 February 2012 02:34:57(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

If it's faked yes. Photoshopping like this says to every young girl that loves Adele "You aren't good enough the way you naturally look...ugly!"
UserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#44 Posted : 26 February 2012 02:40:41(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

That's a sort of distorted view, that's like saying Revolver is a magazine made to entice our children to worship Satan and burn down churches.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline genocidal king  
#45 Posted : 26 February 2012 02:43:17(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Nah it's not distorted at all. It's blatantly saying to people that Adele is not good enough to be on the front of Vogue how she looks at the moment...so they have to touch her up with PS to make her look more acceptable for a cover.
The Revolver analogy is a ludicrous stretch.
UserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#46 Posted : 26 February 2012 02:50:56(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

All I'm saying here is that we're grasping at straws for reasons not to like the lady. If it's not the fact that the radio chooses to play her music all the time, it's a Vogue cover, if it's not a Vogue cover we'll be hearing her say she's a Republican! Oh nooooo! She's a positive role model, and she sure as hell stacks up better than some of the sparkling role models/sex symbols out there such as the wonderous Paris Hilton, or maybe Britney Spears.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline genocidal king  
#47 Posted : 26 February 2012 02:56:13(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

I'm not grasping at straws. I simply dislike her music. That's reason enough not to like her in my books. All I was trying to point out is that the major selling point of her image is, like most other stars...just fake.
I never understood why people need to be role models either just because they sing. If I'm looking for a role model, you better believe it's someone like Marie Colvin over anyone who's a celebrity for having a talent that they just happen to be born with.
UserPostedImage
Offline DistortedAudio  
#48 Posted : 26 February 2012 03:10:37(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

That's where I disagree with you, I find that you can find a Role Model anywhere, whether it be my father or Studs Terkel, or George Plimpton (the greatest sports journalist to ever live in my opinion). That doesn't mean that I strive to be like some Musical Role Models, I want to be like Donald Glover personally, if someone came up to me and said, "Hey you'll have a chance to meet Harrison Ford!" I'd jump on it, because I find him to be a role model. God given talent or not, just being born with it doesn't mean you'll be able to use it adequately, nor get the chance to flourish as they have.

The only reason we're even pointing at people like Adele being more fake than say Marie Colvin (who I don't know) is because they are under the limelight more often than not, so we get to see their flaws more clearly than we would say, a Heavy Metal artist's.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline genocidal king  
#49 Posted : 26 February 2012 03:22:17(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

It seems you are confusing the term "role model" with the phrase "is a good actor." Presumably you want to meet Harrison Ford because you think he is a great actor, and you love his films etc etc...and not because he has instilled some sort of ideals in you about what life is about and how you should carry yourself through your own life, which is what a role model should be. For someone who wants to be an actor or a singer, and sees Harrison Ford or Adele as a role model, then that is cool. But the press pushing them as a role model to all youngsters is idiotic. Same as when we hear about footballers being "bad role models". Well no, they are a good footballer, and that is what matters. What the hell does it matter what they do in their private life? Are they paid to be a footballer/singer/actor etc? Yes. Are they paid to be a role model? No.

My point was, that if someone sees someone as a role model, then that's fair enough. I just disagree with the idea that someone is a role model for everyone, which is the sort of crap tabloids and shit magazines peddle left, right and centre.

Marie Colvin, for a point of reference, was a foreign correspondent for the Sunday Times. In an ambush in the 90s while reporting from Sri Lanka, she lost an eye. She had to live the rest of her life with an eye patch. On Wednesday of this week, she was reporting on the plight of the people of Syria at the hands of their own government, when the house she was in was struck by a shell. She was killed while doing her job and trying to show the world what Syria's population is going through. In my own view, that sort of woman is a more convincing role model.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mckenzie-  
#50 Posted : 26 February 2012 03:44:57(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
I dislike the fact she plays the 'sympathy' card. The whole 'im doing this for the bigger girls' is so annoying, yet people continue to fall for it. I looked at a great review of her album, some of the things they pointed out was that it was an album full of big notes, which many artists could pull off. I hate it everytime a conversation of Adele is brought up and people back her up by saying "she proves you don't have to be size 0", its irritating. Although credit to her, she is using it to the best effect possible.
She is not as 'nice' either as people think she is, she is over-confident, cocky and actually, a huge asshole! Her speech at the Brit Awards really confirmed this. She acted humble to being with, then she boasts about winning 6 Grammy's before being told that she was getting cut off she adds "Goodbye, ill see you next year" then throws her middle finger up. Very classy, and humble.

I don't know whether im just sick of people going on about her or something, but I can't stand her. She was so disrespectful on the Jonathan Ross towards a bands cover of her song, she first admitted she didn't really want to hear it, then after hearing it she said "im not avin' that" in her chavvy accent.

Hmm.
retired x
Offline DistortedAudio  
#51 Posted : 26 February 2012 03:45:13(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
My point was, that if someone sees someone as a role model, then that's fair enough. I just disagree with the idea that someone is a role model for everyone, which is the sort of crap tabloids and shit magazines peddle left, right and centre

Alright, we were talking at cross purposes. I agree that Marie is a wonderful role model, but no-one is going to be a role model for everyone.

Also, Harrison Ford is a great guy and he's a great role model if you want to get into film, since from what I remember at least, he has a fund to help struggling filmmakers.
UserPostedImage

SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#52 Posted : 26 February 2012 05:04:52(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
I have something to ask a lot of people who like Adele as of today. The biggest argument people project for this girl, is that she is a singer who only cares about her voice and her singing. She isn't bothered about her appearance, we hear, and she is proud of being a bigger girl, who does not have to be seen as a sex symbol.

Then what the hell, I ask....is this?

UserPostedImage

When I first saw that, I genuinely thought it was Welsh singer Katherine Jenkins. There is a strong possibility that this is the most airbrushed celeb photo I have ever seen. So much for the Adele who sings for the bigger girl and doesnt worry about her appearance...oh dear...

She's a human being. Very few (especially women) are completely comfortable in their own skin.

Clearly it's an absurd picture. But I don't think it really changes anything. People who like her will still like her for her voice, accepting that magazine photoshoots like that always edited past the point of common sense, and people who don't care about her will point out that it's a bit absurd, but it doesn't really change anything either.