logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2012 02:27:21(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8538 time(s) in 2674 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: Tales From The Heartlands
Release Date: July 19, 2012
Recorded: June – July 2012, Three Crow Studios, Los Angeles, California
Genres: Alternative Rock, Rock, Acoustic, Folk-Rock, Americana, Country
Length: 59:07
Label: Chaos Records
Producers: Brandon Caulfield, JR Rhythm, Moe Z

“Tales From The Heartlands” is the third studio album by American singer-songwriter ‘Brandon Caulfield’, it follows his critically successful sophomore album ‘Into The Wild Part II’ (2011) and his most recent release ‘Ashes Of Dreams We Let Die [E.P]’ (2012) which became his most successful work to date, selling over two million copies worldwide as well as being praised by critics and peers alike. The album is set for release on August 5, 2012 through ‘Chaos Records’. It’s an album that moves slightly further away from Caulfield’s now reputable acoustic nature and delves more into a heavier guitar sound, notable by the inclusion of famed rock guitarists ‘JR Rhythm’ and ‘Moe Z’ with whom Caulfield has worked with on and off for the past year of his music career both in a solo capacity and as frontman for ‘The Bards’ for a short period.

The album was written and recorded at ‘Three Crow Studios’ in Los Angeles, California between June and July 2012 and marks Caulfield’s first full length record since signing to Chaos Records, it also marks a slightly more aggressive and angry rock approach from Caulfield with an early listener stating that throughout the majority of the album Caulfield “Let’s his complete rock credentials come to the forefront, it’s no longer the tender and rather timid voice that we heard on his first two albums but instead it’s an angry and assertive rock voice that has something that he wants to get off of his chest, it’s almost like he’s been let loose” the same review went on to say that “Tales From The Heartlands is a rare rock record of its kind, some artists tend to force themselves to become influenced by the past but this album doesn’t feel contrived, it doesn’t feel like Caulfield is trying too hard to be John Lennon, Bob Dylan, The Stones or Bruce Springsteen, the influence from some of those artists is clear to see in glimmers but it’s not overdone, it’s Caulfield channelling his own influences in a way that helps him find his own voice, his true voice and it’s done as ever with an unassuming dignity”

The official lead single from the album will be ‘The Ballad Of A Vagabond (feat. Cristina Lake)’ set for release towards the end of July, although a previous single from his most recent E.P ‘Ashes Of Dreams We Let Die’ titled ‘Fireflies & Bedouins’ makes an appearance on the album it would not be considered the lead single from the album as it’s from a previous collection of work. The build-up for the album is set to continue throughout the rest of July while the entire album will be released on July 29, 2012.

THE ALBUM
Brandon Caulfield began working on the material that would form the album in early June of 2012, after writing a couple of songs that he felt quite happy with at his home in California he took them to the studio that he has now become quite accustomed to and played the songs to a group of friends and fellow musicians with whom he has worked alongside in the past year which included, JR Rhythm, Moe Z, Sarah Jade Harrison and Tom Lokám, the reaction was that of a resoundingly positive one and Caulfield was encouraged to begin working on more songs with the view to recording his third studio album, especially after the unexpected success of his previous effort, ‘Ashes Of Dreams We Let Die’. Sarah Jade Harrison instantly noticed the difference between his new material in comparison to his previous work, “Brandon has always had a certain darkness with his songwriting but not necessarily an anger or aggression, his songs have always been mirrored in themes of sadness and confusion which is the beauty of his early work, but when I heard the first two songs that he had written for this album it was very clear that the sadness and confusion was almost replaced by an anger and aggression both lyrically and vocally and I think that’s the thing that becomes most clear when listening to the album, it’s no longer about holding back.”

He had become more re-invigorated with the classic ideas and beliefs of rock music and was quick to request the experienced services of both JR Rhythm and Moe Z to provide a power that Brandon’s lone guitar playing just couldn’t, JR Rhythm went on to talk in a positive light with regards to the album “I’ve known Brandon for a while now and I’ve never seen him so inspired, it feels like he’s found his place as a musician now and he’s pushing the rock side of his development ahead of the folk and country influences and watching him recording this album and talking about it, it seems almost like he’s a man possessed. I don’t think he’s ever felt anywhere near as enthusiastic about his music than he does with this album, you know? And it’s a special thing to be part of since I’ve known him and watched him battle with who he is and the issue’s that come with relative fame, he’s struggled at times and the weight and worries of him becoming just another imitation of the people that have gone before him have often dragged him down and stopped him from reaching the heights that he can reach, but with this record I think it’s the start for him to feel comfortable as a working musician and not be afraid of comparisons and labels, it seems like he’s accepting of the fact that he’s a professional musician that can sell millions of records worldwide, he just needed to find the distance between success and artistic merit and I think that he’s on the path to something wonderful”

The general tone of the album is that of anger and frustration, the difficulties in which the characters of the songs are going through are the main elements to the songwriting (“My Disenchanted Society”, “The Ballad Of A Vagabond”, “A Sign Of The Times”, “Weather The Storm, Take The Long Walk Home”, “The Assassination Of My Town”, “Those Cold And Haunted Eyes”, “Set Me Free” and “Fireflies & Bedouins”) but there are songs that give light relief to the stories of difficulties and are more hope-filled, (“A Road Less Travelled”, “Seattle Has Never Looked So Beautiful” and “Better Days Ahead”). The songs tie together despite being individual stories and as the album’s title suggests, they’re all separate stories from different people within the same world and the general consensus would be that perhaps there are more people going through rough times rather than good at this current moment in time. The album was recorded at ‘Three Crow Studios’ in Los Angeles, California and Caulfield was joined in the recording of the album alongside JR Rhythm (guitars, production) and Moe Z (guitars, production), recording lasted just under a two month period between June and July 2012 with plans for an August release, which is perhaps one of the quickest recording and release turn around in recent memory.

TRACKLISTING
1. With Eyes Wide Open (0:31)
2. My Disenchanted Society (4:52)
3. A Road Less Travelled (3:21)
4. The Ballad Of A Vagabond (feat. Cristina Lake) (4:32)
5. A Sign Of The Times (4:46)
6. Seattle Has Never Looked So Beautiful (4:27)
7. Weather The Storm, Take The Long Walk Home (5:02)
8. What Do You Do When Your Dreams Come True? (4:18)
9. She Carries The Weight Of The World (5:27)
10. The Assassination Of My Town (6:41)
11. Those Cold And Haunted Eyes (4:29)
12. Set Me Free (5:07)
13. Fireflies & Bedouins (5:16)
14. Better Days Ahead (2:58)

PERSONNEL
Brandon Caulfield – lead vocals, lead and rhythm guitars, acoustic guitar, harmonica, piano, drums and percussion, lyrics, composition, art direction, production
JR Rhythm – electric guitar, acoustic guitar, pedal steel guitar, backing vocals, production
Moe Z – bass guitar, slide guitar, production
Cristina Lake – vocals and production *Track 4*

OOC: The track by track won't be starting for another week or two but I'll post random things related to the album here so they're all in one place :)

Edited by user 30 July 2012 03:40:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 15/07/2012(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 15/07/2012(UTC)
Offline Squeege  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2012 11:59:15(UTC)
Squeege

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 282 time(s) in 189 post(s)
Johnny: Now, this! This is exactly where I think rock and roll along with pure americana roots should be centered at. Every song should tell a story there should be no shortage of the pure instruments involved. Not too distorted but distilled just enough for some bit of purity. Perfection.
UserPostedImage]

Owner of: Nobody's Darlings

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Ezra "Zeke" James

The Train Jumpers

Hennessy Daniels
thanks 1 user thanked Squeege for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 16/07/2012(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2012 00:05:39(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Hayden: I can't wait to hear this album. You're the best male folk/rock artist that gets no credit whatsoever. It's a shame really.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 16/07/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2012 08:12:04(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Squeege Go to Quoted Post
Johnny: Now, this! This is exactly where I think rock and roll along with pure americana roots should be centered at. Every song should tell a story there should be no shortage of the pure instruments involved. Not too distorted but distilled just enough for some bit of purity. Perfection.

Brandon: Thanks man! I’m quite pleased with how the whole thing has turned out. Its basis is rock but with sub-genres like Americana, folk and country it transcends the songs a little further than just that rock category, I do feel like it’s the best work I’ve done yet and I’m glad that there’s people around like yourself that still have those beliefs and ideas in the roots of old fashioned rock music. I appreciate the positive reaction, so thanks once again!
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2012 08:14:39(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Hayden: I can't wait to hear this album. You're the best male folk/rock artist that gets no credit whatsoever. It's a shame really.

Brandon: Thanks Hayden, It’s good to hear that you’ll be looking forward to the album! It’s all good, getting credit or personal recognition is not something that I particularly crave, as long as I’m writing songs and music that I’m proud of then I’m happy, it’s about the creative process, not so much about fame and glory. Thanks once again, I appreciate your support very much!
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 17 July 2012 00:18:04(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

TALES FROM THE HEARTLANDS

UserPostedImage

After “Into The Wild” I wanted to move my music forward in a more honest direction, no longer was I looking to write songs about adolescent definitions of love and freedom, I wanted to write songs that had an overwhelming truth about them and even tackled issues that were often sad and bleak but with a real heart somewhere deep inside of the songs. I wanted to create songs in the same way that the writers that inspired me created songs, it’s not about perfect verses or melodies but instead about the story’s that you’re telling within your songs, whether it’s a three minute song or a seven minute song, there’s always space to tell stories throughout those time restrictions.

I explored that darker and more honest side to my songwriting on the extended play, “Ashes Of Dreams We Let Die” and I think that the storytelling approach to the songs that appeared on it became part of its appeal, certainly to me anyway. The work that I created on that release, really sorta became the roots to this album. I feel like I almost picked up from where I left off, I removed much of the acoustic nature of “Ashes” and created more of a rock record than on any of my previous work, I wanted to create a relatively honest interpretation of the life that people lead in this current time and it’s not necessarily going to be completely perfect but if it’s honest then I feel like I’ve done my job correctly.

I was born and raised in Seattle in the late 80's and early 90’s and there was a thriving music scene at that time that the four year old version of me was oblivious to as you’d expect, a love of music came at an early age but it wasn’t the post-punk or grunge movement that enveloped me, it was the old fashioned music that my mother would often listen to, ‘Brigitte Bardot & Serge Gainsbourg’ being particular favourites of hers that fascinated me from an early age, it was the unusual style to the music created that I can rememeber being entranced with, while the rock and roll and folk elements of my upbringing would come in the form of my father’s record collection that would essentially revolve around ‘The Stones’, ‘Van Morrison’, ‘The Eagles’ and ‘Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers’, that’s the one thing that I have to hold my hands up and say thank you to him for.

Sixteen is where I started to yearn and ponder the greater questions of the world and it wasn’t until my teenage years when I started to find a real beauty in stories of consequence, at the time I was living in a home that felt more like a minefield and the outside world was something that didn’t understand so much and so I regularly lost myself in stories by the likes of ‘John Steinbeck’ who would write about the Dust Bowl and an Americana that I’d later become fascinated with, the writers who inspired me were searchers that spoke about the places and people that they knew and that is how I approached writing this album, I was heavily influenced by the feeling of men and women struggling against a world that is closing in on them.

I wanted this album to be a lot more powerful both musically and lyrically, no longer was I looking to sing quite as much about the dreamy and naïve nature of love but instead the tales of a more honest adulthood that brings its own difficulties to overcome, songs about the struggle to raise a family (“A Sign Of The Times”) and the loss of those dreams that you may have in your youth (“Set Me Free”). It was important for me to encompass a range of stories that not only relate in some ways to the world that we’re currently living in but to also write about consequences of actions (“My Disenchanted Society” and “The Ballad Of A Vagabond”), but although the heart of the album is primarily about the stories of struggles there has to be some sort of belief and hope that there’s something better on the horizon because without that belief then there’s a loss of self and without the belief that there is indeed a way out of the difficulties then you’ve got nothing to work towards and the inclusion of more hope-filled songs (“Seattle Has Never Looked So Beautiful” and “Better Days Ahead”) give the darker songs of the album something to hold onto.

Growing as an artist means taking on the bigger questions, I want my songs to bare witness to the hardships and heroism of everyday life, I hope to have captured the imagination in some way shape or form with this album, so these are my “Tales From The Heartlands”.

- Brandon Caulfield

Edited by user 17 July 2012 00:22:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 17/07/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 17 July 2012 23:20:31(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

OOC: It's a little bit of a mess, but hopefully it looks real enough :)
RoseJapanFan on 18/07/2012(UTC)
Offline Moquel  
#8 Posted : 18 July 2012 01:44:43(UTC)
Moquel

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1391 time(s) in 964 post(s)

Radio: I always been a fan of you so I'm very excited to hear this new album and material.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Moquel for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 18/07/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#9 Posted : 18 July 2012 07:17:48(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Moquel Go to Quoted Post
Radio: I always been a fan of you so I'm very excited to hear this new album and material.

Brandon: Thank you Ms. Vine, I appreciate that and I certainly hope that you enjoy the work that I’ve created.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#10 Posted : 18 July 2012 08:05:52(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

OOC: Looks great :P

Hannah Beth: I can't say anything, I'll be biased :) But I hope this album does well lol.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

C4AJoh on 18/07/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#11 Posted : 19 July 2012 09:15:42(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

OOC: Looks great :P

Hannah Beth: I can't say anything, I'll be biased :) But I hope this album does well lol.

Brandon: Thank you very much Hannah! Haha, I’m quite sure that you’re allowed to be biased, it’s part of your privilege as the loving wife

OOC: Thanks :)
Offline genocidal king  
#12 Posted : 19 July 2012 21:39:02(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
OOC: Nice work on the magazine page. Good work so far. All seems great.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 20/07/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#13 Posted : 20 July 2012 23:48:55(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Nice work on the magazine page. Good work so far. All seems great.

OOC: Thanks :)
Offline C4AJoh  
#14 Posted : 20 July 2012 23:49:59(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

TALES FROM THE HEARTLANDS
A CONVERSATION WITH BRANDON CAULFIELD

UserPostedImage

Having listened to the album, would it be fair to say that you’ve perhaps written with a view on the current state of the world that we’re living in, with the economic difficulties that is happening right now and maybe the effect that it has on the people going through these types of difficult times being shown in the characters of the songs?

“I think that what is happening around you is something that you can’t get away from as a songwriter. I didn’t particularly sit down and plan on writing a song about the struggle to find work and the adverse effect that not having a job or enough money has on a person but I think in particular “Sign Of The Times” took on that theme and it actually tied together some of the other songs around it, it’s almost impossible not to see the difficult situations that many people are in right now, you know? There’s just no getting away from that but at the same time, it’s not something that I’m gonna push into my work too much because it can become quite contrived on the face of it, I’m sure that people don’t want a musician constantly singing about financial troubles when they have such an easy way of living but you do occasionally find topical theme’s coming into your songwriting so it’s a difficult thing to separate yourself from fully.

From my own point of view, when writing those types of songs it’s usually a mix of current situations and thinking back to my life growing up, I’m from a blue-collar family, my mother worked hard and I guess she was the primary breadwinner back then because my father always seemed to be in and out of various jobs and that had a heavy influence on his personality and as I wrote about in “Sign Of The Times”, as a man you lose a lot of pride when you not working and even more so if your wife almost has to work harder due to that, so I think that from experiencing those sort of situations I may have a window into the difficulties that many people are going through right now, I think that if I didn’t understand it then I wouldn’t write about it.”

Continuing on from that previous question, the album in my opinion has a much more dark and angry tone to it that perhaps we didn’t see so much of on your previous studio album “Into The Wild Part II” but did see slightly more of on the “Ashes Of Dreams We Let Die [E.P]”, would it be fairer to say that it’s more of a continuation from the E.P rather than the album?

“That’s certainly one way of looking at it, in terms of the time difference between the E.P and the previous album I’d definitely agree that the work that I’ve created could be considered more similar to the E.P, I think there was an overriding theme of hope on “Into The Wild Part II”, there was a lot of naivety in the songs from the previous album. I think that there’s certainly a much darker and angry tone to the songs both in the lyrics and the way that we played on the record but I also think that the core anger of the songs is more truthful than the naivety and dreamy nature of the last album. But an entire album of depressing songs isn’t always the right way to go, there has to be some sort of respite and it comes in the shape of a couple of tracks, “Seattle Has Never Looked So Beautiful” and “Better Days Ahead” and I think they counter balance the weight of the darkness, I think “Better Days Ahead” is quite possibly the most hope filled song that I’ve written and it has that raise your arms in the air type of anthemic chorus that I’ve not really ever done before, so that one was definitely an interesting track to record and I think having it appear towards the end of the album takes away some of the depressive weight of the album.”

You talked there about an anthemic chorus that isn’t something you’ve often done, but the general driving rock music that I’d say defines a lot of this album’s quality certainly was a surprising route for you, I think anyone who has listened to your music in the past would agree that you always appeared to be a rocker but for whatever reason you wanted to keep your music soft and folksy, do you think that you’ve created the type of rock record that you set out to create?

“It’s an interesting question for me because as you say I’ve always seen the acoustic route as a more idealistic route in which to walk down and I’d always list folk musicians like Dylan and Woody Guthrie as bigger influences on my work but when I really thought about it, I realised the reason I attempted to veer slightly away from that rock path initially was because of my own discomfort, but fronting ‘The Bards’ for a short period, it brought something quite different to the table and that driving rock music felt comfortable for me and whether it was just the comfort of having the beating heart of that band behind me or just because I wasn’t weighed down by the burden of my own music, I don’t know. But it’s something that has been a great thing for me because I’ve learnt a lot from that experience that I’ve managed to put into my own work and for those that compare the new album to the old one, you’ll no doubt notice the vocal difference above all else, I’ve learnt to project on these songs and that soft vocal, although it appears on occasion in a couple of songs, it’s been replaced by a much more powerful vocal and I think that it’s a good indication of the route that I’ll perhaps walk down a lot more in terms of the music that I create.”

Rock music has traditionally had that freedom to go to many different places from a lyrical standpoint, in the track “Better Days Ahead” you sing a religious line that goes, “Just keep your cross hangin’ round your neck and darling you’ll be alright/Keep your faith close to your heart and we’ll make it through the night” is that an indication of your own religious beliefs coming across in your music and if so is it something that we can expect more of?

“I think that there’s always that element of your own beliefs that dictate whatever you do in your life, if you’re a songwriter then it will ultimately come into your music but it’s a difficult subject to sing about because I’m not about to start preaching to people and start telling people what to believe, I was brought up with Christianity and it’s a part of me that will always remain but I’m not gonna be preachy to anybody, I think that line in particular came unexpectedly for the song and I’m sure it will creep into my writing from time to time but it’s not something I’m gonna set out to write about, I think that some people don’t have that direction in their life and would benefit from faith but it’s not something that I’ll force into my work.”

Let’s talk for a moment about the collaboration on the album, released as the lead single from the album “The Ballad Of A Vagabond” which of course features Cristina Lake, how did the collaboration happen and why was Ms. Lake chosen for that song in particular?

“I’ve always been rather wary when it comes to collaborations and guest spots on other peoples work and also on my own work, I’m not entirely against collaboration but I prefer for the majority of my own work to be looked on as my own work, But I was recommended to listen to ‘Chasing The Renegades’ and I was quite amazed by the album, it’s vulnerability was something that I could relate to and I toyed around with the idea of working with her in some capacity, at the time there wasn’t much plans for an album but by the time I had contacted Cristina and met up with her, plans for the album was beginning to slowly take place, we spoke in length about her work as both an actress and musician and we even delved into the stories of her relationship with Jack Frost and the troublesome relationship that she endured which was extremely intriguing to me and those stories became somewhat of a template for the song that I wrote. It’s a track about a Rockstar that has abandoned his young family in order to fulfil his own ambitions and although it’s not a direct interpretation of their relationship, there are still elements of that in the song.

Often when I’m looking for music I try to find something that stirs a feeling within me, I look for stories that I can believe in for however briefly they may be and ‘Chasing The Renegades’ was full of stories that I found myself entranced with, working with Cristina was a pleasure because she’s a graceful and very dignified young woman that manages to deal with the pressures of fame very well. She has her own unique style and she’s unafraid to be herself which is a quality that is very admirable.”

UserPostedImage

“Tales From The Heartlands” marks your first full-length release since signing to Chaos Records, is there more pressure now to deliver a successful album than there may have been previously on a small independent label?

“I don’t really feel under pressure in any way to be honest, the fact that they’re a major label and may be the biggest label in the music industry doesn’t have any sort of negative effect on what I do, because what I do is of my own making, I trust that when they signed me it was because they had some sort of knowledge of my previous work, which has never been the most commercially valuable work, it’s not about that for me and I’m sure they’re more interested in having someone create one great album every one or two years rather than churning out album after album of essentially the same songs but just with a few different melodies in a short space of time.
I like to have a freedom to take my time with my music and they seem alright with that, I don’t need to sell records that are going to make millions, I need to do work that sets me in the present. As for the label, I don’t think they expect my work to sell five million copies or anything like that, I think they just wanna hear some interesting music, although whether I create any interesting music or not is still up for debate.”

It’s been noted that you don’t exactly enjoy performing live, you’ll surely be touring in support of the album though?

“Yeah, there’ll definitely be a tour announced within the next couple of months in support of this album, i think you have an obligation as a musician to travel to as many different places as you possible can in support of your music, the fact that I don’t enjoy performing live is down to an absolute shyness, once I’m on the stage I’m usually alright but it’s the three or four hours prior to the performance that gets me, it’s not something that comes easy, I have to almost force myself onto the stage at times which isn’t an ideal situation for a working musician but that’s the cards that I’ve been dealt and I’ll deal with that, but yes, to answer your question, there will absolutely be a tour or at least a large amount of shows announced in support of the album because it’s something that has to be done.”

Have you begun to look into the possibilities of touring, maybe an indication of how long the tour will last, support acts, any specific dates planned?

“I think that is something that will be decided once the album is out and there’s some sort of indication of the type of venues that we’ll be able to bring these songs to life best. A tour throughout the states will definitely be the main focus and I’d imagine September would be the likely time in which I’d begin touring but again it’s all down to circumstance and various issues that will be looked upon at a later date. In terms of support acts? I think this would be the first time I’d be touring with supporting acts, Ideally I’d like to keep the general music tone of the tour in a similar direction, so I’ll hope to find someone that is somewhere in that folk/rock/Americana genre, there’s a couple of guys that I’m a fan of that I’d definitely like to have come along for the journey or at the very least make a couple of appearances onstage alongside me but like I say, it’s kinda down to circumstance right now.”

On “A Road Less Travelled”, you sing about somebody that has decided to give up all of his ties within his home comforts and take to a life travelling across America, Rolling Stone magazine recently did an article about your album, highlighting the fact it’s a journey that you yourself took back through 2008 to 2009, I’d imagine that sort of adventure wouldn’t be an option for you these days?

“[Laughs] Definitely not, I think a whole of people have that adolescent or certainly youthful adventurer nature to themselves and that was the basis for why I did that. I was working hard for very little money and I had a place to call home in Seattle at that time but I didn’t have any real ties there anymore, I mean there was my family but there was nothing to keep me in Seattle at that time and so one day I quit my job, packed up a car with maybe five hundred bucks and just started travelling southbound, when I was starting to run out of money I’d stop for a few weeks or even a month in whatever City I was in at that time and find some work in order to continue with my journey. I’d definitely recommend it, because you gain a better understanding of the world around you, but there’s a time when to do it and when not to do it.

To answer your question, then no it’s certainly not an option for me, I’ve done it and I’ve got that experience from it but although at that time it may have seemed like a pretty decent way to spend my life but you’ll realize after a year or maybe even two that it’s not something to aim for as a permanent way of living, of course not it’s not even something I would enjoy so much, I’ve got roots and a foundation in which my entire life will be built around right now and that’s the next chapter, the growing up part has already begun and future plans start to come into place, that’s the thing that I’m most looking forward to, I’m married to someone that I will live my life alongside and she’s someone that I love deeply and that’s the incredible thing to me right now, there’s an unbreakable bond right there and a future that I’m very much looking forward to, that’s the real adventure”

Something that has often been said and even praised about not only you but your relationship with Hannah Beth is the fact that you’ve managed to live a normal life despite the surroundings of fame and such, and that you’ve both managed to keep your relationship which is of course a celebrity relationship rather quiet and private, what’s your thoughts on that kind of praise?

“It’s pretty funny to me that people talk about it like it’s something extraordinary, sure we both have careers that are very much centred in the public eye, we live in a city that has a bigger paparazzi culture than any other place but we don’t exactly go out of our way to avoid certain things, we live our life together as we choose and it’s a nice and rather quiet life which without sounding too hokey is also full of a love between each other, we’d both rather our relationship to be the way that it is.

It’s a little ridiculous that people seem to talk about it like we’re doing something insane, I mean I understand it to an extent. Because I guess other relationships that are somewhat in the public eye are maybe open for the whole world to read about, whether it be magazine articles or via twitter. I mean it’s not like I’ll avoid talking about my marriage, I’ll talk about it all day with you if you want but it’s not something that is showcased for the whole world to see in other capacity’s, be it intimate details of our life together or whatever.
It’s called a private life for a reason but we don’t go out of our way to not have people talk about it, it’s just a natural relationship that is built on a love and respect for each.”

That’s certainly an interesting way of putting it. Let’s move back to the music from this album, it is what many people consider to be a genre that may slowly be dying out, that mix of folk rock with its Americana and country elements, are there any new artists that have caught your eye within those genres?

“I perhaps don’t quite look as deep into current music styles and influences as maybe I should but there’s a bunch of music that I’ve heard that would fit into a similar bracket of this album’s genres or at least fit into a sub-genre of its elements. As I spoke before about ‘Cristina Lake’, I think she’s doing something unique and although it’s not quite within the confines of folk and country it’s still something unique and interesting and it’s also something that certainly I feel is influenced by the historic roots of those genres.
Alaskan Sunrise is a folk artist that I’ve not heard a whole lot of but from what I have heard I’d say he’s quite unique, Ellie-Grace Summers is blending country-pop in a nice way too although it’s not something I listen to all that much she has some really great roots and influences. Bianca Moretti is a hugely talented young songwriter and her E.P has certainly brought that folk-pop genre to a new audience, Misery Loves Company’s southern rock influences are very evident and they remind me of the real old school bands like Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and CCR, which I think is great.
There’s a lot of good new music coming through that is rooted in those old school ideas and beliefs, you’ve just gotta know the right places to look for them.”

With the eclectic range of topics within the album it seems quite clear that the album has many different influences, what would you consider the main influences throughout the album?

“Everything around you becomes an influence of sorts, I think even more so with this album. As mentioned earlier the current difficulties that some people are going through heavily inspired the album but also a range of influences from my own personal experience and upbringing too, “A Sign Of The Times” was inspired by both modern day issues and my memory of growing up and seeing my father out of work for large periods of time and that’s the interesting thing, certainly from my point of view. The songs range over a number of different influences both from the past and in the present.
From a musical stand point then I think the list is almost endless, there’s elements of all kinds of musical influences throughout, from Woody Guthrie through to the likes of Tom Petty, the biggest single influence on the album would be Americana, through the literary influences of Steinbeck and others to the music influences of Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan and such.”

I think that just about covers all bases, good luck with the album, touring and the future, thank you for your time.
RoseJapanFan on 26/07/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#15 Posted : 25 July 2012 21:32:55(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

1) - With Eyes Wide Open (0:32)

SONG DESCRIPTION
The album opens up with almost a spoken word introduction, the soft and extremely tender piano that can be heard throughout the very brief thirty-two second opening is perfectly crafted, it’s volume never rising to any real heights and it’s free-flowing progressive nature makes it a rather beautiful opening thirty-two seconds, it’s the perfect soundtrack to the words that Brandon directs forward ahead of the album, like the title states, it is a prelude in theme and placement as the opening track from the album, it doesn’t ever feel like it’s gonna burst into a two or three minute song because it’s rather slow and quite beautifully wistful and the words that match could be seen as quite deep and meaningful, it addresses the loss of innocence in a rather sad way as Caulfield sings about how everything changed when this person started to see the world the way that it would appear he and everybody else sees it.

LYRICS
When did you lose that sparkle in your eyes?
That hope and belief in the greatness of people?
When I first met you, you seemed pretty innocent
I saw a naivety in your eyes and it was a beautiful thing to me
They were eyes that did not know of the evil, malice and jealousy in the world
But somewhere along the line you lost that
And you awoke to the darkness that we live in
And that innocence was lost forever
For whatever reason
You started to see the world for what it really is
You started to see the world around you in the darkest light possible
And I wished that you didn’t
Because everything changed from that day

SIMILAR TO
The Horrible Crowes; Last Rites
> The piano and vocal styles are similar <

2) - My Disenchanted Society (4:52)

SONG DESCRIPTION
The second song from the album is “Disenchanted Society”, The songs theme is that of a person that wants to be almost exiled from his own surroundings and the superficial nature of a world that we occupy, Caulfield sings of a guy that just wants to live a life more free after seemingly becoming disenchanted by the places that he lives as the songs title suggests. It’s perhaps a companion piece for his last album ‘Into The Wild Part II’ and as the first fully fledged track from this album, perhaps it’s inclusion so soon in the album is done somewhat purposefully as a way to make the transition from his last LP#.

It’s introduction comes in the form of three short sharp taps on the base of Brandon’s acoustic guitar which is quickly followed by the combination of acoustic twang (Brandon’s guitar playing) and the southern sounding twang of the slide guitar (JR Rhythm’s guitar playing), the two mix well together to create a rather well paced and energetic song and it’s the guitar combination that draw you into the song in the first place and the strong folk-rock tinged vocals and lyrics provided by Brandon that make you want to continue to listen, particularly the power of his vocal early in the song as he growls out the following lines (“Don’t you see, because it’s pretty clear to me/That I’d rather be a pariah than a refugee”) a lyrical theme that he continues with for the next verse (“I’d rather be a pauper than a prince … I’d rather be a punk than a poet … I’d rather be a pilgrim than a prophet … I’d rather be a stranger than a stereotype”).
The twangs of the guitars continue throughout the whole of the song and midway through the track, they get space to maneuver and the echoed nature of the songs southern rock guitars are pushed to the forefront for a sixteen second solo, the lyrics then come back into the song with the same bite and aggression as before and as the final verse appears Brandon’s vocals become more breathy almost like he’s taken a punch to the stomach and had the wind momentarily knocked out of him.

LYRICS
Society
Abandon me
Down this empty road
So that I can learn to be free
Let me travel down the dusty highway
Where only the lonely people goes
Let me travel down this familiar terrain
Where the wild wind blows

Society
Abandon me
Down the dusty plain
So that I can start again
I’ll trudge through the swamps and the forests
To make things right
I’ll be forever in the dark
Like a thief in the night

Don’t you see
Because it’s pretty clear to me
That I’d rather be a pariah than a refugee
I’d rather be a traveler with just another song to sing
I’d rather be a rebel than a king
Because power changes
Everything

I’d rather be a pauper than a prince
Because I’d learn to appreciate
All the small things
I’d rather be a punk than a poet
I’d rather be a pilgrim than a prophet
I’d rather be a stranger than a stereotype
I’d rather be alone

Disenchanted society
Send me away
When you’re done with me
I’ll wander through the empty fields
Forever, alone
I’ll start over again
Find a new place to call home

Don’t you see
Because it’s pretty clear to me
That I’d rather be a pariah than a refugee
I’d rather be a traveler with just another song to sing
I’d rather be a rebel than a king
Because power changes
Everything

I’d rather be a pauper than a prince
Because I’d learn to appreciate
All the small things
I’d rather be a punk than a poet
I’d rather be a pilgrim than a prophet
I’d rather be a stranger than a stereotype
I’d rather be alone

SIMILAR TO
Bright Eyes; Another Travelin’ Song
> The instrumentation and vocals are similar <

Edited by user 06 August 2012 01:14:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RoseJapanFan  
#16 Posted : 26 July 2012 01:01:14(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Bianca: Oh yay, Brandon likes me :P haha, but I am really stoked for this album because they just get better and better each time. You are one of my biggest inspirations in music and life so I know you'll do amazing. These first two tracks are backing up my praise lol.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

C4AJoh on 26/07/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#17 Posted : 26 July 2012 03:30:12(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Bianca: Oh yay, Brandon likes me :P haha, but I am really stoked for this album because they just get better and better each time. You are one of my biggest inspirations in music and life so I know you'll do amazing. These first two tracks are backing up my praise lol.

Brandon: Thanks Bianca! I’m glad that you think my work gets better and better each time, it means I’m doing something worthwhile at least. Wow, I never thought I’d be an inspiration on anybody’s life, you do realize that I’m just a socially awkward weirdo who happens to be able to play guitar, right? Thanks again, I’m glad you approve of the opening tracks!
Offline C4AJoh  
#18 Posted : 27 July 2012 02:46:19(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

3) - A Road Less Travelled (3:21)

SONG DESCRIPTION
The third song from the album is almost a complete throwback to Caulfield’s traditional folk roots, it’s a song travelling throughout various cities, but only ever staying for a short time, it’s a song about freedom and the joys that not having any real place to call home can have on a person, there’s a freedom and abandonment that comes with the ability to travel far and wide without any worries and Caulfield sings the song with a soft with a joy that comes across in his vocal deliverance, it’s a light hearted track which doesn’t take itself too seriously which could be seen as a welcome addition considering the general angry and frustrated tone that a lot of the albums songs possess.

The song opens up with the screech of a brief harmonica introduction provided by Brandon and is quickly followed by the twang of his acoustic guitar which is then joined by the similar twang of JR Rhythm’s slide guitar and the music is rather energetic with a sense of freedom and not so much discipline within the song to the point where you could expect them to take the song in a completely different path if they felt like it, but the music from both musicians guitars remain rather upbeat and Caulfield’s vocals appear to have a nice almost southern tone to them, a surprising element from a man who has spent the majority of his life on the west coast in Seattle and California but nevertheless he manages to channel an almost Tom Petty-esque southern feel to his vocal which becomes particularly noticeable during the lines “I’ll spend a day or two in the swamps of Louisiana/I’ll head on through Mississippi to Alabama”, the light hearted nature of the lyrics again are clearly evident.
The sounds of the guitars draw you in even further towards the latter stages of the song as both Brandon and JR Rhythm replace the finger picking styles with straight forward downward strikes of the guitars strings, as they trade off against each other, with one chord being stuck by JR and the next by Caulfield which give the song a little more assertiveness that the song appeared to lack perhaps early on the song, but it ends with the final chord being struck perfectly by both JR and Brandon in unison with the song closing out with the sound of the guitars.

LYRICS
I dunno where I’m going, I’ll sure know when I’m there
I’m heading somewhere southbound, travelin’ without a care
There’s sunsets on the horizon
No skylines in sight
I’m heading down the road less travelled
I’ll keep on driving through the night

The destination is unknown, but the plan is pretty clear
No retreat, no surrender, I will have no fear
From California to the Nevada deserts
The sand blazing across the windshield in the sun
A couple days of gambling
Then it’s time to run

I’ll head on down to Arizona to meet some good old friends
Have a couple of beers and watch the Tucson sunset
Just praying that it never ends
But another day gone and I’m travelin’ on
I’ll spend a day or two in the swamps of Louisiana
I’ll head on through Mississippi to Alabama

I got a couple of friends that I met down there
They’ll put me up for a week or two without a care
I’ll head through Georgia to Tennessee
I’ll catch a concert or maybe three
But I’ll be travelling
Because Carolina is a place I’d like to see

But there’s no time for stopping
I gotta keep moving on
Like a weary traveller, when dawn breaks I’ll be gone
I’ll ride straight through Virginia
I ain’t ever been to Jersey before
So I’ll stop for maybe a day or two
No use driving in the dark
I’ll head down the boardwalk
Greetings from Asbury Park

I’m tired of driving, it’s time for a change
I’m gonna take a subway
I hear that those people are strange
In New York City
Full of skylines and lights
I could get used to this
Manhattan seems alright

I’ll find a job and settle here for maybe a year
Before I head down the road less travelled
Without a care

SIMILAR TO
Ryan Adams; Oh My Sweet Carolina
> The vocals and guitar is similar, maybe slightly more energetic though <

4) – The Ballad Of A Vagabond (feat. Cristina Lake) (4:32)

SONG DESCRIPTION
“The Ballad Of A Vagabond” is somewhat of a rarity for Brandon Caulfield, although he has collaborated on a few different occasions with a number of musicians, some more well-known than others it’s well worth nothing that he is a rather solitary musician when it comes to his own work, he doesn’t mind working alongside musicians to create the sound that he wants but when it comes to the typical collaborations that we see perhaps all too often in the industry these days, he has generally avoided those possibilities and that’s perhaps part of his individual quality, the fact that when he records a song it has always felt like his work and his work alone but he has decided to take this opportunity to have a vocal collaboration on this, his lead single from his third studio album.

In a recent interview, Caulfield stated how the opportunity to record with Cristina came about, “I happened to be in conversation with JR about various music and we happened to be talking about where the next iconic and innovative album would come from and he mentioned the recent album of Cristina Lake whom I had heard of on a couple of occasions but never actually delved deep enough to search out her music, so it was essentially the recommendation of JR Rhythm who encouraged me to check out this record called ‘Chasing The Renegades’ and I was pleasantly surprised by what I found, she had managed to create this rather dark and bohemian piece of work that just drew me in and it certainly became a record that I admire greatly.” he continues “I felt like if I was to have someone feature on this next album then she’d be the one that I wanted to work alongside most, that breathy tone that shows real flashes of darkness and pain is something that really surprised me and even more so when we worked together in the studio, hearing her vocals live in the studio amazed me and after getting to know her over those first two sessions and her story, with Jack and all of the difficulties that that relationship brought to her was enchanting to a certain degree and instantly I knew what direction to take the song into.”

The lyrical theme to the song is that of a rather dark and sometimes lonely existence for both characters in the song, but there is an underlying feeling from the male character that there may be deep regret in the decisions that he’s made at the end of the song. It’s main theme is inspired somewhat by Cristina’s relationship with Jack Frost, although it’s not a direct story of their relationship rather a story of a fictional couple that has elements of the difficulties that Cristina faced in her relationship, the main theme is the strains of being in a relationship with a musician that has to spend time away from a young family and more clearly it’s about a musician that made the decision to abandon his young family for a career travelling from city to city as a rock and roll icon. The female character sings about the emptiness that her life has become and how she spends all of her time focussing on raising her children and not living the life that she had always envisioned, the situation is that of the female singing to the father of her children and from the male situation he’s informing her that they were always gonna have a difficult relationship no matter what choices he made, the male character may seem heartless and not at all bothered by the bad choices that he made and the life that he now leads but with the final verse of the song he shows a more true and vulnerable side to his situation and even opens up about the regrets that haunt him “I’ll pick up the whiskey after another late night show/In order to forget about you and the things that I left at home/That’s why I drink it, to forget about the things that I don’t have/I know I may seem heartless but deep down I ain’t that bad.” an indication that the alcohol and drugs aren’t used for typical reckless reasons but instead to soften the pain that he feels each day.

The song opens with a tambourine tapping lightly against Cristina’s hand and quickly followed by the acoustic guitar that Brandon can be heard gently plucking the strings before the pace of the song picks up ever so slightly and Cristina begins to sing the opening lines to the song with a raspy but gentle vocal that mirrors the instrumentation through the opening verse. As the second verse arrives with a vocal with slightly more volume and an almost beaten and bruised vocal that falls somewhere between Bruce Springsteen and Tom Waits the instrumentation increases in style as the lead guitar line provided by JR Rhythm provides a memorable riff alongside the soft southern twang of the slide guitar that’s provided by his ‘The Bards’ cohort, Moe Z. During the middle section is a sombre affair as Brandon and Cristina direct the lyrics back and forth between each other with the aggression that they require in the cacophony of old-fashioned sounding guitar riffs that you can’t help by imagine both JR Rhythm and Moe Z directing at each other like two gunslingers battling against each other and as the song comes towards it’s latter stages the riffs become slightly more gentile as they make way for the more tender final verse sung softly by Caulfield.

LYRICS
I’m drawing circles on the window while watching the rain pile up outside
Wondering where my life went, because I haven’t seen it in a while
I work hard from dusk till dawn, it’s the only thing that I know how to do
Our children are all wrapped up in bed and it hurts so bad to see just how much they miss you
I’ve given up hope in ever seeing you again
Your just a fleeting memory of what we could have been

The touring lifestyle is an unstable way of living
Can’t you see, it’s all about taking rather than giving
I know that I’ve got a family and commitments of my own
But you knew all along that I’m a rolling stone
I ain’t gonna lie, this moment will not pass
I find more happiness in the bottom of a whiskey glass

Heartless and tragic
That’s all you are

Those are the most important traits
Of a rock and roll star

Live your life, the way that you see fit
When your laying on an empty hotel floor
Staring into the abyss
When too much cocaine and alcohol take their toll
Don’t come running back to me
I won’t be there to break your fall

That’s fine with me, it’s in my destructive nature not to care
I don’t need your family vacations and white picket fences
I’ll drink enough alcohol to lose all of my senses
And the very next day, I’ll do it once more
I’ve become quite accustomed to a hotel room floor

When my kids grow there’s one thing I’ll say
Don’t fall in love with a renegade because they’ll leave you someday
It may seem dreamy being connected to a star
But your heart’s a vulnerable thing
So don’t let it go too far

Heartless and tragic
That’s all you are

Those are the most important traits
Of a rock and roll star

I’ll pick up the whiskey after another late night show
In order to forget you and the things that I left at home
That’s why I drink it, to forget about the things that I don’t have
I know I may seem heartless but deep down I ain’t that bad
All that I could ever want is everything we should have been
But if I had to choose between them both?
They’re few and far between

SOUNDS LIKE
Pete Yorn & Scarlett Johansson – Relator
> The theme, female vocals and instrumental <

Edited by user 29 July 2012 01:21:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RoseJapanFan on 27/07/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#19 Posted : 29 July 2012 01:22:13(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

5) - A Sign Of The Times (4:46)

SONG DESCRIPTION
With the fifth track from the album, the pace takes on a much slower and somber nature with “A Sign Of The Times” being a downtrodden song about the loss of work and the negative effect that situation is to have on people who take a pride in working hard for their families, the track deals with the adverse effect that unemployment has on a family with the loss of self-worth and pride and of course the financially difficulties that would come with such a situation, unable to use the car because your unable to pay for gas, unable to put food on the table for your family and your children being forced to where hand-me-down clothes. Caulfield sings of willing to take on any form of work (“I’ll take any jobs that may come my way/I’ll work in the fields where our fore-fathers lay/I’ll mop the floors in the school I once knew/I’ll fix up old cars and bring my money home to you”).

The song begins with a soft and rather tender piano introduction that sets an eerie and rather bleak scene from the first keys that you hear and progresses throughout as the ideal backdrop for the depressive nature of the track and it’s sad but emotive lyrics, the first verse is used as a template for the contrasting differences of working even for a relatively small wage is in comparison to not working at all, in the opening verse, Caulfield sings almost with the feeling of pride coming across in his vocals but as the second verse comes into play it’s clear of the direction in which the song is set to go as Caulfield sings about the fact that the jobs are now disappearing and the loss of pride now that work is no longer there for him, the song takes on a rather darker element during the chorus as he sings of the inability to provide for his family, as the first chorus ends, the song picks up an urgency that is emphasized with the introduction of a strikingly powerful guitar progression and the vocals of Caulfield increase in volume and tone, now with more of an anger and frustration at his current predicament and as the song comes to the latter stages, it’s the soft piano keys that provide the wistful and rather sad end to the song.

LYRICS
Five days down in the factory and the foreman calls time
We’d work our fingers to the bone for the promise of a dime
It’s what we’d do in order to make ends meet
We’d work hard so our family could eat
And at the end of the week, if luck was on our side
You’d have enough for a beer or two
We had this thing that they call pride

But the jobs are fading, day by day
Our life is cascading, it’s falling away
People out of work, struggling to provide
Depression hits us all, when we lose our pride
Hard working men and women
Just can’t catch a break
The rich keep getting richer
And the poor will struggle each day

It’s a sign of the times
When there’s no food on the table
My kids are wearing hand me down’s
Our life is now unstable
I can’t afford the rent this month
We’re just losing touch
I can’t afford to use the car
The gas is just too much

I’ll take any jobs that may come my way
I’ll work in the fields where our fore-fathers lay
I’ll mop the floors in the school I once knew
I’ll fix up old cars and bring my money home to you
I’ll clean windows and I’ll clean the street
I’ll do what it takes to make ends meet

I’ll wander down to the bar tonight
In the hope to find an old friend
Maybe they’ll know of any jobs that are going
It may dent my pride but I’ll do what it takes in the end
I’m sorry man, there ain’t nothin’ here is a phrase that won’t go away
I guess they call this a sign of the times
What else can I say?

The jobs are fading, day by day
Our life is cascading, it’s falling away
People out of work, struggling to provide
Depression hits us all, when we lose our pride
Hard working men and women
Just can’t catch a break
The rich keep getting richer
And the poor will struggle each day

I guess they call this a sign of the times
What else can I say?

SIMILAR TO
Bruce Springsteen; Jack Of All Trades
> The instrumentation, theme and general tone of the song are similar <

RoseJapanFan on 29/07/2012(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#20 Posted : 29 July 2012 07:19:44(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Bianca: I love this song so much, it reminds me of my father haha. Amazing lyrics as always, you never fail to impress.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

C4AJoh on 30/07/2012(UTC)