logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline C4AJoh  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2012 20:17:27(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8533 time(s) in 2672 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Title: Arizona
Released: January 1, 2013
Format: CD Single, 12” Single, Digital Download, Weekly Airplay
Recorded: Three Crow Studios, Los Angeles, California
Genres: Alternative Rock, Americana, Celtic Rock
Length: 5:06
Label: Chaos Records
Writer: Brandon Caulfield
Producer: Brandon Caulfield

“Arizona” is a song written and recorded by American singer-songwriter ‘Brandon Caulfield’, taken from his upcoming fourth studio album ‘Some Roads Lead To Nowhere’ expected to be released in early 2013. The track marks the first release of the new year as Brandon Caulfield attempts to continue on from his unexpectedly successful end to the previous year, in particular the surprising chart success which came in the form of three number one singles, ‘The Ballad Of A Vagabond (feat. Cristina Lake)’, ‘Wild Is The Wind (feat. Hannah Beth, Hayden and Isabel)’ and his final single of 2012 with ‘Better Days Ahead’ being added to his now ever-growing repertoire of popular songs. It follows on rather quite heavily from the Americana rooted influences of his previous studio album ‘Tales From The Heartlands’ and Caulfield pushes it even further into his work this time around on this new single, with imagery of an ‘Arizona’ as seen through the somewhat naïve eyes and the perhaps slightly glorified retrospect of the memories of the protagonist in the song’s youth.

The track was written by Brandon Caulfield in late 2012, sometime around early October and is the first release from Caulfield to feature instrumental work from the little known Irish folk trio called ‘The Pilgrims Of Grá’, as well as another relatively unknown session musicians that Brandon Caulfield has associated himself with ever since breaking into the music industry back in late 2010, the supporting cast on this song includes, Flynn McCarthy (mandolin, fiddle), Dylan O’Connor (banjo, electric guitar, drums) and Alexia Quinn (cello, backing vocals) of ‘The Pilgrims Of Grá’ as well as close friend and musical confidante Sarah Jade Harrison (piano, backing vocals).
The latter of the collaborators ‘Sarah Jade Harrison’ had this to say about the song, “Brandon often calls me out to Three Crow Studios when he has a new song that he’s enthusiastic about, he did it on each of his records and he did it once again this time around. It was two tracks that he wanted me to listen to, ‘Arizona’ and ‘The Fine Art Of Growin’ Old’. This was at the beginning of October, I told him that he should be focussing on ‘Heartlands’ because I felt that there was a lot more places for him to go with that record, each track was of this high standard that I just didn’t think he had in him, no offence meant to Brandon but his attention span is quite short so coming up with a record full of top quality songs was just a huge surprise for me, for some reason he was more inspired than I’ve ever seen him, I don’t think it’s able to be re-created, but he can build upon that and from the first new tracks that he performed for me for his next record it was clear that he has something else working away inside of him, he has this enthusiasm to do as much as he can for as long as he can and he’s found his niche in the industry and the type of songs that he writes best, he found his path and these new songs are proof that he’s finally got his direction, ‘Arizona’ in particular is Brandon at his best in my opinion.”

This new track was written by Brandon Caulfield in October 2012 and it was then recorded sometime in November 2012 at his own recording studio, Three Crow Studios in Los Angeles, California. Like all Caulfield songs it was written, performed and produced by Brandon Caulfield with additional instrumental support from session musicians, this time including Flynn McCarthy, Dylan O’Connor, Alexia Quinn and Sarah Jade Harrison. The track will be available to purchase worldwide on January 1, 2013 via Chaos Records in various different formats including, CD Single, 12” Single, Digital Download and Weekly Airplay as Brandon Caulfield releases his first single of the New Year.

BACKGROUND & SONG DESCRIPTION

‘Arizona’ initially began as a bleak acoustic track tentatively titled “I Used To Be Somebody”, with its downtrodden lyrics of a man that used to feel special when he was younger and spent his time in Arizona surrounded by the sunshine and the sweet abandon of youth, it’s a man’s lament to a life that he used to live without any sort of care or worries in the world, whereas now he’s just a nobody, living in New York City with a young family, going through each day in a repetitive and dreary manner. A journey back out to Arizona makes him reminisce about the life that he used to lead and provides the main focus point of the song, although it’s drenched in a romantic imagery of a place, its underlying core is a rather emotive and bleak analysis of a human psyche, of a man who has a relatively nice and comfortable life but misses something that he no longer possess, giving the song the space to be interpreted perhaps in more of a relationship oriented view. The track mixes a personal and emotional theme with an Americana style imagery and backdrop, which has almost become the trademark songwriting style of Brandon Caulfield over the past year or more.

Although the writing process for the song was relatively straightforward for Brandon Caulfield, the music tone of the song however proved to be a slightly more time consuming process as he stated in a recent interview, “I was slightly unsure of where I wanted to go with the next album, after ‘Heartlands’ and the nature of how positively people took to that record it produced a period of uncertainty and doubt with myself. I’m a solitary person, I always have been, but in recent years I’ve looked for some sort of opinion from two people, ‘JR Rhythm’ and ‘Sarah Jade’. JR’s opinion was as straightforward as ever, “Tour, tour, tour!” while Sarah thought it would have been a mistake to not continue supporting the record with singles and all of that sort of thing. I’ve never been one to sit back and try to live off of previous achievements; once it’s done then it’s done as far as I’m concerned.
So the decision that I came up with was that I’d begin writing new material for the next record while ‘Heartlands’ was still relatively hot. Of course I’d rather not just create a copy of my previous effort, I always want to attempt to find new ground so the dilemma was whether I’d do an entirely solo acoustic effort or work with musicians once more, once I had decided that I’d work with supporting musicians again then it came down to the general sound and tone of what I wanted to go with for the record, of course I wanted the elements to remain in that Americana rock sort of style but I wanted to push something else into that bracket if I could, my options were to go folk, it’s a relatively popular genre right now although what they call folk music right now isn’t at all folk music, people latch onto words without understanding the deep rooted meaning but I digress. The others were country, to channel the likes of Willie Nelson, Hank Williams and Johnny Cash or to go into new territory that at that time had begun to really influence me which was Celtic music.
I began learning more about my Irish roots back in June 2012 and started to delve into that world. A trip to Dublin where I met distant relatives was an eye-opener for me and the culture just drew me in from the very beginning, and delving into the traditions and history of Celtic music made me more eager to explore these avenues which is what I finally decided on.
I spent time watching a number of Irish musicians performing during a trip to New York City in the winter and made some contacts within that Irish-American community in Manhattan, I spoke to them about the music that they perform and the meaning of the songs they were performing, some of which were hundreds of years old, I mentioned that I wanted to explore Irish roots music at some point and one of the young girls laughed at me and said “You can’t do that on your own” she said that I should find myself a good band that knows how to really let loose and for the next few weeks my mind raced at the potential and the possibilities.
I spent a three day weekend in Ireland with Hannah and while there we came across a trio of folk musicians, real folk musicians performing in the center of town, they performed a Blind Alfred Reed cover and a couple of songs made famous by The Weavers, the enthusiasm of the music that they were playing was just staggering to me, it was sheer joy for the trio despite the bleak weather and it was exactly the sort of thing that I was looking for. When myself and Hannah returned home, I made a call to the young Irish woman I had met in Manhattan and she made a couple of enquiries to her buddies in Ireland, they managed to find the folk trio and after a few weeks we finally made contact with them, I was able to convince them to come out to Los Angeles and sent them tickets and within a week they were over here and in the studio performing on a couple of tracks initially which then grew into them performing on everything that I had written for my next record, within four weeks of seeing them, they had become my supporting band.”

The song begins with a screeching harmonica wail provided by Brandon Caulfield, then quickly accompanied by the similarly high pitched but slightly more aristocratic sounding element of the cello provided by Alexia Quinn, it’s hauntingly beautiful strings being driven from right to left to create an empowering feeling to the song, the cello continues to echo out while the harmonica has faded out, instead replaced by the raspy rock vocals of Brandon, “I’m heading through Phoenix with the sun beating down/The sun’s beating down/All the familiar placed that I used to know/Those placed that I used to know/But I see that I ain’t quite the same/No, I ain’t quite the same/Only my name/It’s the only thing that remains/Only thing that remains.”, a slight instrumental break comes as a lead guitar riff by Brandon Caulfield, jangly piano playing by Sarah Jade Harrison and the energetic and rhythmic sounds of a fiddle and a banjo provided by Flynn McCarthy and Dylan O’Connor respectively give the song the enthusiastic musical fusion that Brandon was looking for.

As the chorus of the song arrives, the instrumental dominance is a combination between the lead guitar playing of Brandon and the screeching of the fiddle by Flynn McCarthy as well as a beautiful female backing vocal provided by Alexia Quinn as she gives a feminine sort of echo to Brandon’s rock oriented vocal delivery as sings, “It’s been a long time away from here/I’ve changed a lot along the way/I’ve got a job and a family in New York City/The simple life is safe and pretty/But back in Arizona/I used to be somebody/Back in Arizona/I used to be somebody.” and the chorus makes way for another verse throughout the song, the twanging sound of a banjo provided by Dylan O’Connor replaces the lead guitar riff from Brandon as he bellows out the next lines of the song in a raspy wail, “I head into a forest and carve my name into a tree/It’s the only way anybody’s gonna remember me/I threw it all away, everything I had/For a life of simple pleasures, but I ain’t ever felt so sad/Because my memories, they come back/When I step into this city that used to be familiar to me/I look down into the canyon and it’s tempting me/I could end it all/It only takes the slightest push/To make a grown man fall.” and as an instrumental breakdown comes back into the picture, Brandon holds a harmonica close to his lips and lets the screeching wail push forward towards the final chorus of the song.

LIVE PERFORMANCE

LYRICS

Key – Bold = Harmonies

“I’m heading through Phoenix with the sun beating down
The sun’s beating down
All the familiar places that I used to know
Those places that I used to know
But I see that I ain’t quite the same
No, I ain’t quite the same
Only my name
It’s the only thing that remains
Only thing that remains

The rivers draw me in to the beauty of the sea
To the beauty of the sea
The mountain peak above is calling out to me
It’s calling out to me
It’s sayin’ what have you become
Yeah, what have you become
Don’t turn back and run
Oh, don’t turn back and run

It’s been a long time away from here
I’ve changed a lot along the way
I’ve got a job and a family in New York City
The simple life is safe and pretty
But back in Arizona
I used to be
Somebody
Back in Arizona
I used to be
Somebody

I head into a forest and carve my name into a tree
I carve my name into a tree
It’s the only way anybody’s gonna remember me
Nobody’s gonna remember me
I threw it all away, everything I had
Everything I had
For a life of simple pleasures, but I ain’t ever felt so sad
I ain’t ever felt so sad
Because my memories, they come back
When I step into this city that used to be familiar to me
I look down into the canyon and it’s tempting me
Yeah, it’s tempting me
I could end it all
It only takes the slightest push
To make a grown man fall

It’s been a long time away from here
I’ve changed a lot along the way
I’ve got a job and a family in New York City
But the simple life is too safe and pretty
But back in Arizona
Memories rush back to me
Back in Arizona
I used to be
Somebody
Back in Arizona
I used to be
Somebody”

PERSONNEL
Brandon Caulfield – lead vocals, lead guitar, harmonica, lyrics, composition, production
Sarah Jade Harrison – piano, backing vocals
Flynn McCarthy – fiddle, backing vocals
Dylan O’Connor – banjo, backing vocals, hand claps
Alexia Quinn – cello, backing vocals
Haley Caulfield - artwork
thanks 7 users thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 28/12/2012(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 29/12/2012(UTC), Walton on 29/12/2012(UTC), snap_itshannah on 29/12/2012(UTC), BrownSugar on 29/12/2012(UTC), erich hess on 30/12/2012(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 30/12/2012(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2012 02:29:44(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Hayden: Absolutely amazing single Brandon. No wonder we're related now, all the talent in our family could cause someone to explode!

OOC: Great job on the lyrics and description annnnnnd the picture :)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 29/12/2012(UTC)
User is suspended until 28/07/4752 18:55:55(UTC) Walton  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2012 06:14:48(UTC)
Walton

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1998 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
Aimee: I always admired your work. The great quality you put into your music is undeniable. I absolutely loved this dahling! :)
thanks 1 user thanked Walton for this useful post.
Offline Famouss7x7  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2012 10:59:51(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Brandon: Always so consistent Brittany. It seemed like just yesterday you were releasing your last album but that shouldn't matter because your music has become so timeless, and this just adds on and compliments my opinion of you. Once again you've delivered a stellar track. This time with "Arizona". Everything is excellent about this, from the sound, the lyrics, the artwork and especially the performance. Incredible job Brandon.

OOC: Seriously loved everything about this RP. Incredible work with this :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Offline C4AJoh  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2012 05:24:41(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Hayden: Absolutely amazing single Brandon. No wonder we're related now, all the talent in our family could cause someone to explode!

Brandon: Thank you Hayden, I appreciate that and it’s nice to see that you’re still as humble and reserved as ever!

OOC: Thank youuuu! :) I’m glad that you liked it all, although you're wrong about the picture, it's awful :P
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 30/12/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#6 Posted : 30 December 2012 05:26:34(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Walton Go to Quoted Post
Aimee: I always admired your work. The great quality you put into your music is undeniable. I absolutely loved this dahling! :)

Brandon: Thank you Ms. Aimee, I appreciate that, it's certainly very flattering to hear!
Walton on 30/12/2012(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#7 Posted : 30 December 2012 05:27:35(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
Brandon: Always so consistent Brittany. It seemed like just yesterday you were releasing your last album but that shouldn't matter because your music has become so timeless, and this just adds on and compliments my opinion of you. Once again you've delivered a stellar track. This time with "Arizona". Everything is excellent about this, from the sound, the lyrics, the artwork and especially the performance. Incredible job Brandon.

OOC: Seriously loved everything about this RP. Incredible work with this :)

Brandon: Thanks Brittany, yeah the last album wasn’t all that long ago but I’m not much for dwelling on past achievements and such, it’s always about the forward-looking. I’m glad that you like the track and the performance and the artwork too! Rarely does my sister get credit for her input on my single and album covers but I’ll make sure she’s aware of your compliment! Thank you once again.

OOC: Thank you, that’s very kind! :)

Offline Princess_Valentine  
#8 Posted : 30 December 2012 07:29:21(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: You sir, are a gift to the music industry. Your music always touches my soul in the best of ways. Its no wonder you're so successful. I'm thrilled about your new album and can't wait until it's out.

Ooc: Wow, amazing job on everything. :)
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 03/01/2013(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#9 Posted : 30 December 2012 10:07:18(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post

Brandon: Thank you Hayden, I appreciate that and it’s nice to see that you’re still as humble and reserved as ever!

OOC: Thank youuuu! :) I’m glad that you liked it all, although you're wrong about the picture, it's awful :P

OOC: I meant the performance picture silly :P

Hayden: I am! I mean sometimes when you're good you just gotta own it.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 03/01/2013(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#10 Posted : 03 January 2013 05:23:51(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Princess_Valentine Go to Quoted Post
Kourtney: You sir, are a gift to the music industry. Your music always touches my soul in the best of ways. Its no wonder you're so successful. I'm thrilled about your new album and can't wait until it's out.

Ooc: Wow, amazing job on everything. :)

Brandon: Thank you Kourtney, that's very kind of you to say. I hope that the album lives up to your expectations!

OOC: Thaaanks, glad that you like it :)
Princess_Valentine on 03/01/2013(UTC)